Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Some new(ish) spoilers and snippets
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 4 2012, 6:05pm

Post #26 of 58 (720 views)
Shortcut
To save having 4 of my threads on one page, I'll put this here [In reply to] Can't Post

You can get a free Hobbit posted with this month's Total film magazine.

This deserves to be seen, but not another thread! Cool

mandel
Rivendell

Sep 4 2012, 6:06pm

Post #27 of 58 (680 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf's headspace [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the materials are in Tolkien for getting a better view of Gandalf's character development. My take is that Tolkien wanted to make Gandalf the bedrock early in LOTR, with Aragorn taking up some of the slack later on - in brief moments of hesitation and doubt from Gandalf (e.g. The Last Debate), Aragorn takes up the mantle as leader and moves things forward. (This is one of the things I thought PJ got absolutely perfect in his films).

At the beginning of TH, we're seeing a Gandalf who hasn't yet had to face the immediate prospect of his great task in Middle-Earth - the defeat of Sauron. He has the great wisdom to see in Hobbits much more than anyone else can. But he's still quite a bit impatient with Bilbo, as with the Dwarves. He still has the sense of superiority of a Maiar sent to dwell among mortals. But by the time of LOTR, he has the wisdom to know that Hobbits have a kind of strength even he lacks.

And, I'm guessing this change of heart happens during the course of events in TH. Bilbo doesn't just prove himself to be courageous, but almost completely unselfish. His self-centered thoughts always seem to be quite simple: he doesn't want treasure, or political power, or even great honor (though he takes pleasure in the dwarves' admiration); instead, he just wants the warmth of Bag End, a meal and pipe by the fire. I'd like to see Gandalf come to this realization in TH films, along with the realization of his great task...

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Sep 4 2012, 6:06pm

Post #28 of 58 (726 views)
Shortcut
One question [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you, all of that was very interesting (and promising!)

One question: what does Legolas and Thranduil sparring actually mean? Are they play fighting?

But every word you say today
Gets twisted 'round some other way
And they'll hurt you if they think you've lied

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 4 2012, 6:10pm

Post #29 of 58 (669 views)
Shortcut
I thought spar meant "to practice fighting"? / [In reply to] Can't Post

FlyingSerkis
Rivendell

Sep 4 2012, 6:12pm

Post #30 of 58 (650 views)
Shortcut
I'd love to see that character development in the films [In reply to] Can't Post

Very interesting look into Gandalf's thoughts and character that I hadn't really considered before. Smile

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Sep 4 2012, 6:19pm

Post #31 of 58 (679 views)
Shortcut
So I assumed [In reply to] Can't Post

But I've learned to not to trust my assumptions when communicating in a foreign language... bad things may ensue! Laugh

dave_lf
Gondor

Sep 4 2012, 6:33pm

Post #32 of 58 (691 views)
Shortcut
Sparring [In reply to] Can't Post

That is the literal meaning, but I (strongly) suspect they are talking about verbal sparring here. Based on other comments that have been made, the two will be at odds over the elves' role in the battle.

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 4 2012, 6:35pm

Post #33 of 58 (660 views)
Shortcut
It's ok [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm English and don't know what it entirely means Wink

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Sep 4 2012, 6:48pm

Post #34 of 58 (632 views)
Shortcut
I hope they don't change Thranduil's characterization [In reply to] Can't Post

If they make Thranduil more antagonistic than he already is by removing his two truly honorable moments (helping the Men of Lake Town and being opposed to the idea of waging a war over gold) just to let Legolas argue against him and steal the sympathy points for himself..... I'll... I'll... I don't even know what I'll do. It'll be all Denethor again. A character supposed to be complicated and antiheroic turned into a complete douche because apparently the audience can't get the hint to feel sympathy for his son otherwise. Mad

mandel
Rivendell

Sep 4 2012, 6:59pm

Post #35 of 58 (631 views)
Shortcut
Thranduil [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, it's possible to strike a balance here: maybe Thranduil's initial reactions are hostile (as they are in the book), and Legolas is the one who softens his heart a bit...

DarkJackal
Rohan

Sep 4 2012, 7:27pm

Post #36 of 58 (576 views)
Shortcut
A free Hobbit? [In reply to] Can't Post

Alright, I followed the link, but I can't seem to find the free Hobbit that you promised! Not fair, I want my own little quest monkey!

Edit: Oh I see, a free Hobbit poster, not an actual hobbit posted in the mail...

(This post was edited by DarkJackal on Sep 4 2012, 7:29pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 4 2012, 7:29pm

Post #37 of 58 (556 views)
Shortcut
Haha! A free Hobbit would be a lot better than a poster wouldn't it! [In reply to] Can't Post

Blasted typo! Wink

Fardragon
Rohan

Sep 4 2012, 7:42pm

Post #38 of 58 (569 views)
Shortcut
I think the comparable character [In reply to] Can't Post

Is Faramir. Make him initially hostile enough to be a real threat, but have him evolve into an ally.

A Far Dragon is the best kind...

TomthePilgrim
Rohan

Sep 4 2012, 9:10pm

Post #39 of 58 (494 views)
Shortcut
I keep forgeting . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

. . . Olet Suomen.
Glad I checked the translator . . . Olet Suomen Olet Suomen Olet Suomen Olet Suomen

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began
Now far ahead the Road has gone
And I must follow, if I can

"Thorin sat up with a start. 'Something is not right,' he muttered to himself as he stood up and
looked towards the mirror . . . . . . . . . 'Durin's bones', he gasped, 'what's happened to my beard?'"

TomthePilgrim
Rohan

Sep 4 2012, 9:16pm

Post #40 of 58 (488 views)
Shortcut
What was that link supposed to be . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

. . . 'cause all I got was stuff on Looper . . . even checking out all 10 article teasers showed nothing of the Hobbit. Evil

"Thorin sat up with a start. 'Something is not right,' he muttered to himself as he stood up and
looked towards the mirror . . . . . . . . . 'Durin's bones', he gasped, 'what's happened to my beard?'"

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 4 2012, 9:20pm

Post #41 of 58 (480 views)
Shortcut
Sorry TomthePilgrim! [In reply to] Can't Post

Should have made it clearer - it's in the text:

Issue 198 is on-sale now and comes with four incredible free posters, featuring Man Of Steel, The Hobbit, Skyfall, and Django Unchained.

TomthePilgrim
Rohan

Sep 4 2012, 9:25pm

Post #42 of 58 (463 views)
Shortcut
Ohhhhhhhh . . . . . . . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

. . . well, I was lookin' at the pictures, not readin' all them pesky words . . .

Sorry. Blush

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Sep 4 2012, 10:22pm

Post #43 of 58 (434 views)
Shortcut
"Olet suomalainen" ;) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ruinwen
Rivendell

Sep 4 2012, 11:12pm

Post #44 of 58 (446 views)
Shortcut
Fathers and sons [In reply to] Can't Post

We'll see Legolas and his father Thranduil spar.

Guh....I think I might need to take this image to Estrogen Island.CrazyBlush

TomthePilgrim
Rohan

Sep 4 2012, 11:18pm

Post #45 of 58 (414 views)
Shortcut
Ei . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

. . . American, ancestors from Ireland and Denmark.
I have a englanti-soumi dictionary. At one point, after finding out that Prof. Tolkien had read the Kalevala, I tried to read a finnish copy using the dictionary . . . and fail utterly.
I now own the Oxford World's Classics version . . . in English!

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 5 2012, 12:00am

Post #46 of 58 (406 views)
Shortcut
Not jumping anywhere [In reply to] Can't Post

Just wondering...Wink

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Sep 5 2012, 12:12am

Post #47 of 58 (375 views)
Shortcut
Fair enough [In reply to] Can't Post

But it doesn't seem consistent to me with the filmmakers MO for them to do this. They are all about adding additional character arcs, not taking them away!

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 5 2012, 12:24am

Post #48 of 58 (377 views)
Shortcut
True [In reply to] Can't Post

Though I wonder if PJ and company understand that part of Bilbo's growth involves a growing appreciation for the more poetic aspects of existence.

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Sep 5 2012, 2:04am

Post #49 of 58 (367 views)
Shortcut
It's explicitly stated - no reading in required [In reply to] Can't Post

I know that I give the filmmakers more credit than you do (despite my own more than quibbles) but I think they can pick up on something that is explicitly stated in the text.

Coming to a rise he could see his own Hill in the distance, and he stopped suddenly and said:

Roads go ever ever on,
Over rock and under tree,
By caves where never sun has shone,
By streams that never find the sea;

Over snow by winter sown,
And through the merry flowers of June,
Over grass and over stone,
And under mountains in the moon.

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star,
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.

Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

Gandalf looked at him. "My dear Bilbo!" he said. "Something is the matter with you! You are not the hobbit that you were."

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 5 2012, 4:15am

Post #50 of 58 (341 views)
Shortcut
Well, I hope you are right [In reply to] Can't Post

And they include the "poetry reading" on his journey home.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.