finding Rivendell
resolving the WC debate to attack Dol Guldur
escaping the Goblins
escaping Gollum
battle with the Wargs and goblins

And hopefully
developing character personalities
providing drama and connectedness between main and secondary stories
and bankrupting all the merchandizing deals that were counting on the film to end with the barrels (j/k Evil)

Escapist
Gondor

Sep 4 2012, 7:17pm

Post #27 of 247 (1828 views)
Shortcut
I agree that the climax is less epic [In reply to] Can't Post

than BO5A, Smaug's fall, and Dol Guldur.

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 4 2012, 7:25pm

Post #28 of 247 (1809 views)
Shortcut
Oh yes, they do accomplish a lot [In reply to] Can't Post

I meant more in terms if their Quest. Ending it just after the Mountains is far too soon. They've only just set off. Plus, the Dwarves opinion changes considerably after Mirkwood - what better way to end An Unexpected Journey?

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 4 2012, 7:34pm

Post #29 of 247 (1872 views)
Shortcut
I doubt we would have seen Lee Pace's Thranduil [In reply to] Can't Post

if he's not going to feature in The Hobbit film. That, to me, means Mirkwood is in.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

macfalk
Valinor

Sep 4 2012, 7:36pm

Post #30 of 247 (1813 views)
Shortcut
I agree: [In reply to] Can't Post

Also, on one of the official posters where the whole "story" is covered, from The Shire to the barrel-escape - that makes me 99% certain that not only will we see Mirkwood in the first film, but beyond it, we may even spot Laketown.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

Finarfin
The Shire

Sep 4 2012, 7:48pm

Post #31 of 247 (1745 views)
Shortcut
Hard to say [In reply to] Can't Post

Anything is possible, of course, but I've become of the mindset that the proper break point for the first movie is the Dwarves being captured by the Elves in Mirkwood. The first movie would also have a good deal of Dwarven backstory, including the Gandalf/Thrain storyline, and probably a mini-White Council when the party arrives in Rivendell (I think the "official" council should and will be in the second movie).

This would allow for pretty good pacing, would provide a teaser introduction to the Elves in the first movie, and would provide plenty of time to fully introduce the Elven kingdom at the beginning of Movie Two. Moving the bulk of the events with Thranduil's people to the second movie also ties the Elves more into the politics of the last two movies by establishing them as one of the peoples living at the borders of the Desolation who are affected by the dragon.

Personally, I believe any pre-Mirkwood break simply does not move the story far enough along given the assumption that the second movie ends with the demise of Smaug, Maybe you could break as early as Beorn, but definitely not any earlier, at least in my probably under-informed opinion.

Thoromir
Rivendell

Sep 4 2012, 7:50pm

Post #32 of 247 (1767 views)
Shortcut
Indeed @ Macfalk [In reply to] Can't Post

No doubt PJ and co. talked about the idea (of a trilogy) a lot.
So my guess is that they would never show the barrel scene in the scroll if they weren''t absolutely sure they'd use it for film 1 (if you know what I mean..).

That was my initial thought. But this forum confuses me (in a good way though:p)

(This post was edited by Thoromir on Sep 4 2012, 7:51pm)

Fardragon
Rohan

Sep 4 2012, 7:57pm

Post #33 of 247 (1771 views)
Shortcut
it neadn't [In reply to] Can't Post

Smaug doesn't appear until film 2. The Necromancer doesn't much feature until film 2. Thus, the Great Goblin is the only actual villain in the first film, even though he dies before the movie is half way through.

Oh, and "reliable unnamed source" is an oxymoron.

A Far Dragon is the best kind...

(This post was edited by Fardragon on Sep 4 2012, 8:00pm)

dave_lf
Gondor

Sep 4 2012, 8:02pm

Post #34 of 247 (1719 views)
Shortcut
Warg home [In reply to] Can't Post

The Warg-riders come from Dol Guldur, which implies that we probably will encounter the Necromancer before the eagle scene, unless the Mountain-goblins keep wargs too.

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Sep 4 2012, 8:02pm

Post #35 of 247 (1744 views)
Shortcut
it might be too hasty [In reply to] Can't Post

to start comparing each hobbit film to lord of the rings in regard to structure.

I personally could not make 1 to 1 ratio allusions because the two stories are nearly completely different. IMO Angelic

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 4 2012, 8:22pm

Post #36 of 247 (1681 views)
Shortcut
Not the book structure, no. But the film structure is likely to be very similar / [In reply to] Can't Post

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 4 2012, 8:22pm

Post #37 of 247 (1713 views)
Shortcut
Con: That would keep Beorn and the Wood-elves completely out of Film 1. [In reply to] Can't Post

Pro: The introduction of the company to Beorn would be a great way to remind the Film 2 audience of who is who.

'Thus spake Ioreth, wise-woman of Gondor: The hands of the king are the hands of a healer, and so shall the rightful king be known.' - Gandalf the White

Escapist
Gondor

Sep 4 2012, 8:23pm

Post #38 of 247 (1683 views)
Shortcut
unless [In reply to] Can't Post

the offing of the great goblin and his many fellow goblins and wargs gets connected to:
*those goblins not making it to BO5A: a battle which was close enough in its ending that a major leader (Thorin) died alongside others
*those goblins not making it to defend Dol Guldur: a battle that was not likely to include a large number of soldiers alongside the white council
*those goblins and their history are connected to previous wars between dwarves and goblins

If such connections were made - it suddenly feels almost like an inverse Helm's Deep ...
of course such connections wouldn't likely have time to be made if film1 ends in Mirkwood ...

So I guess its a question of depth vs expansion of the movies into non-TH plotlines

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Sep 4 2012, 8:28pm

Post #39 of 247 (1686 views)
Shortcut
I disagree good sir [In reply to] Can't Post

Why would they want to mirror the original trilogy exactly? Wouldn't that just be diluting the films down to mere cash-ins? Crazy

I think PJ has an opportunity here to play to The Hobbit's strengths. Bilbo and Thorin are very different protagonists who go on very different thematic arcs than Frodo and Aragorn (if we are in the business of comparing).

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 4 2012, 8:35pm

Post #40 of 247 (1658 views)
Shortcut
Not exactly mirror [In reply to] Can't Post

And who's going to notice a similar structure, apart from us?

The structure of both An Unexpected Journey and The Fellowship of the Ring up until the Misty Mountains are very similar - whether we like it or not. Even after the Misty Mountains, the structure is still similar.

The Dwarves stop at Beorn's, The Fellowship stop at Lothlorien
The Dwarves travel to Mirkwood, The Fellowship travel along the Anduin

By no means are they the same, but the structure is inherently similar. I'm not saying it should be replicated, it already has been - Tolkien wrote it that way.

rings7
Rohan

Sep 4 2012, 8:48pm

Post #41 of 247 (1610 views)
Shortcut
I hope not [In reply to] Can't Post

it doesn't sound exciting enough for an ending. I wanted Mirkwood and the barrels scene in movie 1.

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Sep 4 2012, 8:49pm

Post #42 of 247 (1640 views)
Shortcut
A new plot organisation for three films [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo telling Frodo ALL OF IT

Who Thorin was, so to speak, themovie won´t start with The Shire, or even a mere prologue, but a transition of timeframes that lead Thorin meet Ganfalf, like in the Quest for Erebor, and then Bilbo enters in the set.

There is A LOT of dwarven history to be shown, a lot...

Second film: Beorn and Mirkwood for Bilbo and the party, mainly, and the battle of Dol Guldur, ending here, and with the arrival to Esgaroth. So a lot more of withe council, maybe backstory of Necromancer, wars in the north etc...

Third film: Arrival to the lonely mountain, and Smaug´s fate plus battle of five armies.

That would left film 1 and 3 closer to the book, being third film to be the most book purist because all the Necromancer stuff and Dwarf backstory should have done at this point, so it could be just the book as it follows

It makes sense to me...

rings7
Rohan

Sep 4 2012, 8:51pm

Post #43 of 247 (1612 views)
Shortcut
Good point [In reply to] Can't Post

we haven't seen Bard. At least not officially. I think we'll have more scoop on this in the next trailer. I hope.

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Sep 4 2012, 8:51pm

Post #44 of 247 (1598 views)
Shortcut
you're right! [In reply to] Can't Post

about the misty mountains part of the adventure. I guess I am finally worrying about something related to the making of this film. I think the riddles in the dark chapter might add some flavor in there so that it doesn't feel like we are merely retreading the same ground. But yes, I hadn't thought about that. Time to reread The Hobbit again! Laugh

TomthePilgrim
Rohan

Sep 4 2012, 8:52pm

Post #45 of 247 (1606 views)
Shortcut
I don't believe the warg riders are from Dol Guldur . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

. . . certainly not all of them.

The Great Goblin is killed and the party escapes. Bilbo has his side adventure, riddles, ring and he joins them. They move out of the hills and are chased by the goblins of Goblin Town riding on the wild weolf allies.
These 'Warg Riders' are not from Dol Guldur . . .

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began
Now far ahead the Road has gone
And I must follow, if I can

"Thorin sat up with a start. 'Something is not right,' he muttered to himself as he stood up and
looked towards the mirror . . . . . . . . . 'Durin's bones', he gasped, 'what's happened to my beard?'"

Carne
Tol Eressea

Sep 4 2012, 8:53pm

Post #46 of 247 (1611 views)
Shortcut
Here he is [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile
http://i202.photobucket.com/.../Hobbit/7fef705b.jpg

Although very blurry...

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Sep 4 2012, 8:53pm

Post #47 of 247 (1608 views)
Shortcut
But now are three films [In reply to] Can't Post

When that poster came out I think no third film possibility was on the horizont, maybe things have changed.

Escapist
Gondor

Sep 4 2012, 8:57pm

Post #48 of 247 (1616 views)
Shortcut
I think The Hobbit films should go for the academy award [In reply to] Can't Post

for the largest number of important named characters introduced in a single movie.

Go!

TongueShockedEvil

TomthePilgrim
Rohan

Sep 4 2012, 8:58pm

Post #49 of 247 (1602 views)
Shortcut
I've been saying that for months . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

. . . and months and months . . . but few of our brother and sister TORnlings are agreeable on the topic.

I think the spider fight is a perfect close . . . although I expect the rest of the dwarves will also be captured before the film ends . . .
. . . and I don't think it hurts that there is a similarity with the end of FOTR (the dwarves captured and Bilbo following / Merry and Pip captured and Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas following). Wink

"Thorin sat up with a start. 'Something is not right,' he muttered to himself as he stood up and
looked towards the mirror . . . . . . . . . 'Durin's bones', he gasped, 'what's happened to my beard?'"

TomthePilgrim
Rohan

Sep 4 2012, 9:02pm

Post #50 of 247 (1573 views)
Shortcut
I'm with you . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

. . . gotta see Beorn!

I can't see film one ending before the party enters Mirkwood . . . and I still believe it will end after the spider fight and before the Realm of Thranduil. Smile

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.