Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
End of Film 1 Changed - SPOILERS
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

Fardragon
Rohan

Sep 7 2012, 8:45pm

Post #226 of 247 (425 views)
Shortcut
It stretches credability [In reply to] Can't Post

That a third hand account would have movie level detail and accuracy.

A Far Dragon is the best kind...

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 7 2012, 8:53pm

Post #227 of 247 (407 views)
Shortcut
Dramatic license... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
That a third hand account would have movie level detail and accuracy.

Anything is possible--in the movies!

'Thus spake Ioreth, wise-woman of Gondor: The hands of the king are the hands of a healer, and so shall the rightful king be known.' - Gandalf the White

dave_lf
Gondor

Sep 7 2012, 9:00pm

Post #228 of 247 (388 views)
Shortcut
Easy [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf provided a rough outline, and Bilbo is embellishing and making up details as he goes along. Like that whole bunny sled thing? Invented to entertain Hobbit-children. The guy was really just riding a horse.

Elenorflower
Gondor

Sep 7 2012, 9:05pm

Post #229 of 247 (397 views)
Shortcut
second film [In reply to] Can't Post

I think there is a big clue to where the first film will end in the title of the second film. The Desolation of Smaug. That says to me the empathis is going to be on Laketown, therefore I think the start of the 2nd film will be the dwarves and Bilbo already there as a set up.

Fardragon
Rohan

Sep 7 2012, 9:16pm

Post #230 of 247 (395 views)
Shortcut
I've always considered [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo an unreliable narrator.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Sep 7 2012, 11:52pm

Post #231 of 247 (394 views)
Shortcut
So? [In reply to] Can't Post

Who is to say that he is or is not?

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Sep 8 2012, 6:28am

Post #232 of 247 (389 views)
Shortcut
This is it folks [In reply to] Can't Post

I am surprised to see people still wondering if this is really it. It is.

I suggested this was the case on August 1 right here. Now, I did bury it down low and sprinkled it with lots of other speculation, but this is as real as Bilbo's buttons. I am surprised anybody is surprised and I am perhaps SHOCKED that anybody still doubts it is the case.

WB, worried about leaked Christmas ornaments, smacked us in the head with the ending of the film.

Confirmed.

I have no choice but to believe in free will.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 8 2012, 6:36am

Post #233 of 247 (378 views)
Shortcut
I am also shocked at the shock [In reply to] Can't Post

Your suggestion, and my subsequent suggestion in this thread, was met with incredulity, and occasionally, insult.

I always thought it a very logical way to split three films.

My guess is that film 2 will now end as the dwarves and Bilbo approach the mountain, and film 3 will cover Smaug's death, BoFA, the aftermath and the return.

This will lead to a far better, and more balanced, set of films, IMO.

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 8 2012, 7:32am

Post #234 of 247 (377 views)
Shortcut
I think this suggestion [In reply to] Can't Post

Would be more widely accepted if the duology was going to be split around the Misty Mountains in the first place.

In terms of my view, the only reason why I want AUJ to end with Barrels Out of Bond, is because that's what they were originally going for - it seems like a sensible middle break, for two films.

Now that's it's a trilogy, I still like the idea of splitting it there, but it's not very sensible for three films.

Perhaps people are still hung up about the duology split? I know it effects my perspective on this matter.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Fardragon
Rohan

Sep 8 2012, 7:48am

Post #235 of 247 (367 views)
Shortcut
I'm more concerned [In reply to] Can't Post

that a film with excessive flashbacks will simply flop hard.

But their is another factor to consider: 3D. Quite a few people complain of eye strain after using 3D glasses for an extended time, which might have caused WB to impose a hard cap on film length.

Personally, I would rather just not have 3D.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Sep 8 2012, 7:55am

Post #236 of 247 (380 views)
Shortcut
What a God Awful ending! [In reply to] Can't Post

I need to go to sleep. I think this change of endings has literally made me sick. Thank you Peter. Mad

In Reply To

I suggested this was the case on August 1 right here. Now, I did bury it down low and sprinkled it with lots of other speculation, but this is as real as Bilbo's buttons. I am surprised anybody is surprised and I am perhaps SHOCKED that anybody still doubts it is the case.

WB, worried about leaked Christmas ornaments, smacked us in the head with the ending of the film.

Confirmed.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 8 2012, 7:55am

Post #237 of 247 (355 views)
Shortcut
There will be 2D showings as well / [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 8 2012, 8:00am

Post #238 of 247 (374 views)
Shortcut
Hint hint, nudge nudge? [In reply to] Can't Post

After all, you know more about the films than any of us here. Cool

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Sep 8 2012, 8:47am

Post #239 of 247 (352 views)
Shortcut
Well that's rather my point. [In reply to] Can't Post

We can do a bit of construction work for elements of it in the text (although given that The Hobbit text was allegedly amended after the events of LOTR and the truth was known by all concerned it is still a mite strange) the bigger issue is the one for the films and specifically the dialogue between WC members.
Whilst it is possible to concierge of reasons for Gandalf to conceal matters form the plebs (although a bit uncharacteristic) there wouldn't be any obvious reason why the WC wouldn't call him Sauron. As such we would only get perhaps a third of the way through the first film before the Necromancer is referred to as Sauron and, from a narrative point of view, the need for the Necromancer identity starts to look more awkward.
Obviously this is circumstantial but I think it adds some small additional weight to the fact that the Necormancer's identity will be discovered during the timeline of the films, as opposed to earlier.

LR

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 8 2012, 9:39am

Post #240 of 247 (358 views)
Shortcut
It won't be as full of flashbacks as one thinks, IMO [In reply to] Can't Post

The material that will add to the length will include flashbacks, character moments with the dwarves that don't exist in the books, what Gandalf gets up to while he's gone, plotting by the goblins in real time, the White Council material, and extended action sequences. A whole lot of stuff happens between the Shire and the Carrock. The book breezes through those events, but PJ will not be.

I don't think we are getting three 2-hour films. That would be too great a slap in the face, IMO.

(This post was edited by Shelob'sAppetite on Sep 8 2012, 9:40am)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 8 2012, 3:10pm

Post #241 of 247 (333 views)
Shortcut
What will make or break 'An Unexpected Journey' [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Now that we know almost beyond all doubt that AUJ will climax with the Eagle Rescue (perhaps continuing as far as the Carrock), the million-dollar question is what else is Peter Jackson including in the first part, aside from the book material? A gathering of White Council members at Rivendell seems to be a given. Will Radagast still appear in AUJ? Or will we not meet him until the company reaches Mirkwood?

'Thus spake Ioreth, wise-woman of Gondor: The hands of the king are the hands of a healer, and so shall the rightful king be known.' - Gandalf the White

Elessar
Valinor

Sep 8 2012, 3:16pm

Post #242 of 247 (333 views)
Shortcut
Looks good to me. [In reply to] Can't Post

I guessed mirkwood in our article but I think this leaves plenty of meat on the bone of film 1, a lot for 2, and even more for three. I'm as excited about these films as I can be and do not get the negative attitude about any of this. It makes me think fans of middle-earth are turning into star wars fans and that's not a good thing IMO.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 8 2012, 6:11pm

Post #243 of 247 (348 views)
Shortcut
I'm mostly postive, but won't deny that I have concerns... [In reply to] Can't Post

Not that I need to go over my worries here and now. Back when this was still two films, the edge of Mirkwood seemed like the best place to break to me. Gandalf had been with Thorin and Company from the beginning; it only seemed right to end part one with his departure from Bilbo and the Dwarves.

The rescue by the Eagles was the earliest possible place to end part one; however, knowing that addition material was still to come (especially the White Council's debate about and attack upon Dol Guldur) that just felt too early. It works much better in the three-film structure, with the company's introduction to Beorn serving as a refresher for the audience.

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Sep 8 2012, 11:22pm

Post #244 of 247 (311 views)
Shortcut
I didn't doubt [In reply to] Can't Post

but I was holding on to hope, Still seems to soon to me, .... great call MrCere Wink

(This post was edited by sinister71 on Sep 8 2012, 11:24pm)

Fardragon
Rohan

Sep 9 2012, 7:06am

Post #245 of 247 (328 views)
Shortcut
Sure, but [In reply to] Can't Post

The film will still be different in order to accommodate the 3D version. Shorter run times are probable, more use of green screen is certain.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 9 2012, 4:45pm

Post #246 of 247 (328 views)
Shortcut
Still rubbish? [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

dave_lf
Gondor

Sep 11 2012, 1:11pm

Post #247 of 247 (327 views)
Shortcut
Just wanted to say... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that the "making of" documentary for this thing is going to be Epic.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.