Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Fan Art:
I Am Called Strider

WonderBroad
Lorien

Feb 26 2007, 1:41am

Post #1 of 21 (944 views)
Shortcut
I Am Called Strider Can't Post

I first read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings in 1975, so my images do not rely in any way on images from the New Line films. I illustrated for various publications of the Mythopoeic Society (specifically, Mythlore and Mythprint) for many years.

As I get around to them, I'll post some of my illos here. This is one of my favorites. It is titled I Am Called Strider.

(This post was edited by WonderBroad on Mar 2 2007, 3:21am)

diedye
Grey Havens

Feb 26 2007, 2:02am

Post #2 of 21 (653 views)
Shortcut
Niiiiiiice... [In reply to] Can't Post

I see you've gotten around your pesky picture-posting problem. (Say that 10 times fast. Wink)

WonderBroad
Lorien

Feb 26 2007, 2:03am

Post #3 of 21 (634 views)
Shortcut
Saved by Photobucket [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I see you've gotten around your pesky picture-posting problem. (Say that 10 times fast. Wink)

I had to resort to Photobucket. I just could not make the picture appear in the post by the direct method.

(This post was edited by WonderBroad on Feb 26 2007, 2:04am)

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 26 2007, 3:26am

Post #4 of 21 (628 views)
Shortcut
I love it [In reply to] Can't Post

What a great interpretation of Strider, WonderBroad! I absoultely love his eyes. You captured intelligence, sorrow and just the slightest hint of a sense of humor. I can see him being very kingly if he had a crown on his head.

Very well done!

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the boards that are given to us"

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

linkin-artelf
Lorien

Feb 26 2007, 6:45am

Post #5 of 21 (637 views)
Shortcut
What character and thoughtfulness in his face! [In reply to] Can't Post

Impressive. One of the things I really like about this work is that it doesn't necessarily have to represent Aragorn and so has a wide appeal and resonance.
Looking forward to seeing more.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
"I walk along the shore and I gaze
At the light that radiates down
Will it travel forth to you
Far across this shimmering sea?"
formerly linkinparkelf

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 26 2007, 7:08am

Post #6 of 21 (630 views)
Shortcut
Wow, look at those eyes. [In reply to] Can't Post

And such sorrow and the wear of years on his face. Perfect, Wonderbroad.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Stapper
Lorien

Feb 26 2007, 1:09pm

Post #7 of 21 (613 views)
Shortcut
I love it [In reply to] Can't Post

The face is so realistic.. I feel I'm looking at a real person here!

Belinda's law: The chance a computer crashes is proportional to the importance of the document you're working on

FOTR:50 links / Samwise's cookbook / TORn birthday calendar / 'Things you never (want to) hear people say' list

Foe
Lorien

Feb 26 2007, 3:13pm

Post #8 of 21 (614 views)
Shortcut
Really good. [In reply to] Can't Post

I actually prefer non-movie artwork myself. Very nice. Thanks for posting it.

Email Foe!

Foe's LiveJournal!

Foe's Myspace!

YIM, AIM, MSN= foehelm

Aerlinn
Lorien

Feb 26 2007, 4:03pm

Post #9 of 21 (635 views)
Shortcut
That's wonderful. [In reply to] Can't Post

Very very nice indeed. Not how I pictured Strider, but that doesn't matter - this is good. It's a beautiful portrait.

And to me the films were the worst thing that ever happened to fan art.

Can't wait to see more. Thank you!

TheOneRing.net – where everybody knows your name!
And J.R.R. Tolkien’s middle names… and the name of his publisher’s son … and the name of Aragorn’s great-great-great- grandfather on his mother’s side… and what Frodo’s name almost was…

Sandicomm
Bree

Feb 26 2007, 11:14pm

Post #10 of 21 (614 views)
Shortcut
Well, Aerlinn... [In reply to] Can't Post

You should pop into the RR on Wednesday, because there will be a discussion on just that!

WonderBroad--that picture is marvelous. As much of a Viggo fan as I am, I really think your Aragorn is fitting.

In Reply To

And to me the films were the worst thing that ever happened to fan art.

WonderBroad
Lorien

Feb 27 2007, 1:22am

Post #11 of 21 (622 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for noticing his eyes [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks, guys, for noticing the attention paid to Strider's eyes. Whenever I draw a person, I always start with the eyes. If you don't get them right, you might as well stop drawing, because nothing else will work if the eyes are wrong.

For this illustration, I was influenced, of course, directly by the scene in the novel:

"As Frodo drew near he threw back his hood, showing a shaggy head of dark hair flecked with grey, and in a pale stern face a pair of keen grey eyes."

The latter part of the sentence--"in a pale stern face a pair of keen grey eyes"--is what inspired the image.

I also referred to other parts of the book that spoke of "the lean face of the Ranger," which dictated the shape of his face in the drawing.

>>And to me the films were the worst thing that ever happened to fan art.

You can say that again! Not that I think a lot of those artists aren't talented (they are--some spectacularly so), but I think, because of the films, they've missed the excitement of creating the characters wholly out of their own imaginations, had they only the books from which to draw.

(This post was edited by WonderBroad on Feb 27 2007, 1:27am)

Aerlinn
Lorien

Feb 27 2007, 3:08pm

Post #12 of 21 (609 views)
Shortcut
Please tell me you used a model [In reply to] Can't Post

Or I'll have to go home and bury all my pencils in the back yard! ;) Not that they've been used for anything in a looonnng time...

Seriously, that's a very real face. Very very well done.

[quote]Not that I think a lot of those artists aren't talented (they are--some spectacularly so), but I think, because of the films, they've missed the excitement of creating the characters wholly out of their own imaginations, had they only the books from which to draw. [/quote]

Yup. Exactly.

And J.R.R. Tolkien’s middle names… and the name of his publisher’s son … and the name of Aragorn’s great-great-great- grandfather on his mother’s side… and what Frodo’s name almost was…

WonderBroad
Lorien

Feb 27 2007, 6:08pm

Post #13 of 21 (597 views)
Shortcut
I keep a morgue. A photo morgue. [In reply to] Can't Post

>>Please tell me you used a model

A long time ago, when I was a young student and struggling with my illustrations, my dad suggested to me that I start keeping a photo morgue--a file of photos that help illustrators achieve a finished piece, if one can't afford to hire models. It's not just a file of people references. I have vehicles, architecture, landscapes, animals, plants, costumes, weather phenomena (clouds, skies, tornados, etc.)--just about everything you can think of.

Anyway, as a student, I couldn't afford to hire models. So I took his advice and started collecting reference photos. I now have a photo morgue of around (I'm not making this up) 30,000 images that help me to achieve the finished pictures I have in my head.

These photos are for reference only. Long before I use any of them, I first work on a picture's composition through a bunch of quick sketches directly from the idea in my head. Then I refine the composition until I get approximately what I want. Then I use photo references plus my imagination to produce a completed work.

I still can't afford to hire models. But I make do working in this fashion.

In this illustration, I think I used about three separate "men" references for Aragorn (not the same person in any of the references), plus my imagination, to get to the finished picture. That is to say, this "man" does not exist anywhere else but here. He is a composite of a number of references plus my own brain work.

I start first with Tolkien's written descriptions, pay close attention to how a character is described, and write down a bunch of notes about the character's looks and the particulars of the scene I'm depicting. Then I draw those very quick sketches to work out the composition, refining them as much as possible. Once I've settled on a composition, I pull photo references (either hard copies or electronic files) that will help me to nail down the depiction. And then I start to draw for real.

I highly recommend a photo morgue if you can't afford models. Whatever it takes to achieve the illustration in your head!

Aerlinn
Lorien

Feb 28 2007, 2:38pm

Post #14 of 21 (579 views)
Shortcut
My photo morgue [In reply to] Can't Post

used to take up the whole basement. And the photos I take at the Renaissance Faire - thousands of 'em - specifically to (someday) use as reference *do* take up a big chunk of the living room.

I forgot they were called morgues! I worry about my brain.

WonderBroad
Lorien

Feb 28 2007, 11:20pm

Post #15 of 21 (565 views)
Shortcut
You understand [In reply to] Can't Post

>>used to take up the whole basement. And the photos I take at the Renaissance Faire - thousands of 'em - specifically to (someday) use as reference *do* take up a big chunk of the living room.

You get where I'm coming from! RenFaire stuff is great. I find references on the internet from the various faires around the U.S.

>>I forgot they were called morgues! I worry about my brain.

Oh, no problem--I alternately call the collection my "photo files." "Photo morgue" does sound a little gross...

Beren IV
Gondor

Mar 3 2007, 2:56am

Post #16 of 21 (548 views)
Shortcut
Again, very nice [In reply to] Can't Post

Not only is the face itself very good, but so also are all of the props. He looks like he is a man with an Elvish background to him: the combination of beardlessness but still distinctly aged, in his way, to the extent that he is. I like the Noldor star as his cloak clasp, and the very intricate and unusual design for his pipe. Plenty of things to look for to identify that this man is in fact one of the allies of the Elves, even descended from them, if you know what to look for and are attentive enough!

Everything else looks really good, as good as any depiction of Aragorn that I have ever seen, to be honest. You may have equals, but here, at least, you have no betters!

WonderBroad
Lorien

Mar 3 2007, 6:52pm

Post #17 of 21 (527 views)
Shortcut
re: [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you! I am pleased you like my illos. I wish I had more time to produce illustrations at the pace I did when I was in my 20s and 30s. Alas, my life gets in the way. *grumble*

(This post was edited by WonderBroad on Mar 3 2007, 6:53pm)

Goldie Took
The Shire

Mar 4 2007, 6:17pm

Post #18 of 21 (513 views)
Shortcut
those eyes! [In reply to] Can't Post

wow he holds you in his gaze! love how made his skin so weatherworn, and the pipe is lovely!

I love to see how others picture the characters!

elvenhobbit
Rohan

Mar 5 2007, 2:50pm

Post #19 of 21 (509 views)
Shortcut
w.o.w.o.w!!!... [In reply to] Can't Post

This is brilliant....wonderful....superb...

but what gets me is the thought and age of his eyes...you can almost see the
King in his eyes, here.

Smile
-e_H-

Elven by name, Hobbit by nature

'Road lead ever on and on
down from the door where it began
now far ahead the road has gone
down from where all began' -FOTR-

and through all the world has changed
the ages come and go with time
and yet those remain unchanged
unto they journey westward
over the sea...

Elven
Valinor

Mar 21 2007, 3:49pm

Post #20 of 21 (507 views)
Shortcut
Oh goodness! [In reply to] Can't Post

What a beautiful interpretation of Strider!!!

His eyes really do 'look' at you!!

Just brilliant!!
Thankyou for sharing this - Im just having a look through all your work now... WOW!!

Heart Elven x

"Never wash your name in hot water Elvenesque - it shrinks!" said the Gaffer.
Tolkien was a Capricorn!
..All we are saying ..Is Give Pete A Chance" ...

WonderBroad
Lorien

Mar 21 2007, 6:40pm

Post #21 of 21 (542 views)
Shortcut
re: [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks, elven, elvenhobbit, and Goldie Took (and everyone else). Your comments are much appreciated!

WB

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.