Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
A TORn-sib is never late: What movies did you watch this weekend?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

deej
Tol Eressea

Sep 3 2012, 11:47pm

Post #1 of 31 (568 views)
Shortcut
A TORn-sib is never late: What movies did you watch this weekend? Can't Post

Dragon*Con madness has thrown my schedule a bit off. Tell us what you watched this weekend!

Delrond
Rohan

Sep 4 2012, 12:09am

Post #2 of 31 (322 views)
Shortcut
A couple of funny older movies. [In reply to] Can't Post

For starters, I watched Quick Change (Bill Murray, Geena Davis, Randy Quaid, Jason Robards, etc). For those that aren't familiar with the movie, a "clown" robs a bank. The rest of the movie is a slow motion escape from the streets of NYC. I think this the best comedy Bill Murray has ever made.

The other movie we watched was Liar Liar. I have watched this a number of times and was in the mood for some laughs. Jim Carrey's histrionics made me and Little D smile frequently.

Sometimes I just want to laugh. This was one of those weekends. Smile

A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 4 2012, 12:11am

Post #3 of 31 (324 views)
Shortcut
Bourne Legacy, The A-Team [In reply to] Can't Post

Bourne Legacy is a meh, although Jeremy Renner is captivating. The more I see from him, the more I want to see.

The A-Team was a return to pure fun. "I want to try something I saw in a cartoon!"

Does anyone know if a second A-Team movie is in the works?

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Sep 4 2012, 12:15am)

Annael
Half-elven

Sep 4 2012, 12:14am

Post #4 of 31 (275 views)
Shortcut
"Easy A," some of "Game of Thrones," "Bourne Legacy" again [In reply to] Can't Post

"Easy A" takes "A Scarlet Letter" and transfers it to a present-day California high school. The heroine is not actually guilty of any of the things ascribed to her by the rumor mill, but decides to embrace her notoriety nonetheless. Emma Stone reminds me of Lindsay Lohan before all the substance abuse. Thomas Haden Church shines as the really cool English teacher.

I managed to get through the first five episodes of "A Game of Thrones," but I'm not sure I can stick with it any more. It's beautifully done, but lordy, it's depressing, and I don't really want to watch Sean Bean die again.

"The Bourne Legacy" was playing at the drive-in near me, which is always fun, so I went. Skimpy on plot but worth seeing for Jeremy Renner and Rachel Weisz; I agree with the critic who thinks we need some a romance starring them.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 4 2012, 12:19am

Post #5 of 31 (306 views)
Shortcut
Oh, and Aliens - with a surprise in the credits: [In reply to] Can't Post

One of the doubles for the young girl was LOTR's own Kiran Shah!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 4 2012, 12:31am

Post #6 of 31 (300 views)
Shortcut
Hey deej! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope D-Con is going GREAT!! :)

I only had time to watch 1 movie over the past week... at that was Battleship.

Up to about 2/3's of the way through it, I found it entertaining... but once they turned to the old Battleship Missouri... I was shockingly moved and overcome when they boarded the long-retired ship [spoiler]

but when they panned up to the retired shipmen scattered about the ship... coming forward... I gasped aloud. The rest of the film was incredible for me.

Many people know of my Uncle Bob who was a dive-bomber pilot in the Pacific during WWII. How he was lost when his plane didn't make it back from an aerial attack on an enemy fleet. Well... when I went to NYC to see the Two Towers with Shore's live music, I had the moving opportunity to board the newly docked retired aircraft carrier Intrepid... one of the ships my Uncle flew from. So seeing the battleship and sailors brought into the story like that... and the injured vet taking on the war on the hill... it was one of the most patriotic films I've ever seen!

Wonderful!

And it will sit on my shelf of LotR/TH- related films (cast/crew from flicks show up in other films)! Sala Baker is one of the stuntmen! :D

So it was a very great viewing for me on a very personal and geeky note :)

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Sep 4 2012, 12:41am

Post #7 of 31 (327 views)
Shortcut
Heartless: the Story of the Tin Man [In reply to] Can't Post

I already made a separate thread on this below, which I probably shouldn't have, but I was so excited. I had been reading on imdb about the new Oz movie coming out this spring, and someone linked to this short movie on youtube, about the backstory of the Tin Woodman. I watched and cried. I'm so impressed. I assume this is an amateur production, but they did an amazing job. It's true to the book, and I love the steampunk look and the sweet score. And the ending is a little moment of eucatastrophe. (The Oz book "The Tin Woodman of Oz" tells what happened later to Nick Chopper and Nimmie Amee, but I like the ending this movie hinted at much better.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Sep 4 2012, 12:41am)

Donry
Tol Eressea

Sep 4 2012, 1:00am

Post #8 of 31 (317 views)
Shortcut
Eureka [In reply to] Can't Post

I have been blitzing through the Eureka television series. I'm into season four currently and there is one more season to go. It took most of the first season, but I finally bought into it and now quite enjoy it. It's not Emmy-quality by any means but I rather like it. For those who don't know about it -

Eureka was a military base in the Pacific northwest that eventually became a town. Albert Einstein was integral in the formation of the town, as it was set up with the concept that America's top scientists could live in Eureka and work on leading edge technology. All kinds of experiments are worked on, anti-gravity, space exploration, wormholes. I was told it was a 'funny' version of X-Files, and I would probably agree with that after having watched three-plus seasons. The show is centred around a sheriff who happens upon the town at the right moment. The serving sheriff is injured and cannot continue his job. The main, a u.s. marshall, takes the job and Jack Carter becomes Eureka's new sherriff. Craziness follows. Jack is not a scientist and immediately finds out that the town is a bit whacky. The show is a comedy, and has its moments that is for sure. Matt Frewer (Max Headroom) has a semi-regular role. Saul Reubin and some others have guest appearances.
Anyway, I will finish the series this week most likely. Its a funny, light-hearted, sci-fi comedy if anyone is interested.

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

www.onesecondleft.com
@RDon1secleft
http://donryfetor.blogspot.com/
@DonryFetor

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 4 2012, 7:07am

Post #9 of 31 (311 views)
Shortcut
Guess Who's Coming to Dinner? [In reply to] Can't Post

I have been catching up on some classics that I have never actually seen. This one was terrific, (a young white woman arrives home to introduce her potential husband to her parents, and the parents find themselves challenged by the fact that the man is African American). It reminded me how much I adore Spencer Tracy - his long scene at the end of the movie is simply stunning. It was interesting to think that this movie was made the year I was born (1967) so it was a charged time politically and of course this is reflected in the movie.
Highly recommended.

guitarzankansasfan
Lorien

Sep 4 2012, 9:28am

Post #10 of 31 (304 views)
Shortcut
The Buddy Holly Story and Mr. Popper's Penguins [In reply to] Can't Post

Got them both at the library. I hadn't seen the Buddy Holly Story since I was a kid, but I really enjoyed it this time around, I think partly because I've been living in his hometown for 5 years now, partly because music is my hobby, and partly because listening to Don McLean's "American Pie" last week at work got me thinking about Holly's death in a plane crash. Now I need to go rent La Bamba to see the rest of the story, I think I last saw that one on TV in high school.

Wish I could say I enjoyed Mr. Popper's Penguins as much, but for some reason I didn't, the story just seemed too far-fetched to me, although Jim Carrey delivered the comic goods as advertised.

And I almost watched Twilight but decided against it, we'll see if I change my mind.

"...and the power of Mordor was scattering like dust in the wind."

Hamfast
Rohan

Sep 4 2012, 1:42pm

Post #11 of 31 (292 views)
Shortcut
School of Rock [In reply to] Can't Post

A comedy for the whole family with no cursing, violence, or gratuitous nudity that is genuinely charming and funny. This movie is so refreshing to me because it doesn't treat music as a throw away commodity, in fact, it's celebrated in the form of ROCK ! Jack Black is fantastic, and the ensemble of child actors do a great job acting, and are very musically talented as well. I love the feel good ending to this movie, and the soundtrack is really good too with Bowie, AC/DC, The Ramones, Led Zep, Metallica, etc.

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 4 2012, 2:23pm

Post #12 of 31 (295 views)
Shortcut
I liked Battleship, too. [In reply to] Can't Post

And I thought how they worked both disabled and older vets into the story was good.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 4 2012, 2:48pm

Post #13 of 31 (271 views)
Shortcut
eclectic list [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the thing I most enjoyed watching last week is outside of the scope of what we normally discuss in this thread.

TED
I can watch TED videos on my Roku and I've been doing so when I need to stick around the kitchen area to monitor dinner. Last week, I watched one I really enjoyed: "Chip Kidd: Designing books is no laughing matter. OK, it is."

I love listening to designers talk about how they design - whether they be set designers, costume designers, or graphic designers. But I especially love book design so this video was really interesting to me. This guy is entertaining and, in the span of 17 minutes, I think he made a couple of very accessible points about how he approaches designing book covers.

To watch online
http://www.ted.com/...matter_ok_it_is.html

but be forewarned... I think there was an adult word near the end (can't remember which one) and an adult image connected with how David Sedaris has been known to autograph his book, Naked.

BURN NOTICE
We finished the newest Burn Notice season just released on DVD. I started out loving this show but it's getting a little too familiar ... (old?) for me. I kind of don't care about these characters anymore. I don't want to tell the Mister because he seems to still like it.

NO. 1 LADIES DETECTIVE AGENCY
We also finished the only season of No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency. I wonder how this series would have developed with more time. It seemed to jump around just a little in tone which was kind of jarring for me. Parts of it I liked quite a bit and there was nothing I didn't like. But it didn't grab me. I will say, I think Jill Scott had some remarkable acting moment in the series. And, in the final episode, where she dresses up for a nice evening, I thought the color and cloth of her clothing made her look just stunning. Very good costuming, in my opinion - for a character who kept her clothing style fairly simple.

I also enjoyed some of the extras available on the last disc. One dealt with the late Anthony Minghella's approach to the story. He was a good man who recognized a story with a good heart. I think some of my tepid reaction to the show may have been influenced by the deliberate attempt to reference the slow pace of life in Botswana. Perhaps I've been watching too much Deadwood and Battlestar Galactica to appreciate a quieter, softer approach.

GAME OF THRONES
I also watched the first three episodes of season 2 of Game of Thrones on a dvd a friend recorded. Not great quality which hurts the experience. I still have kind of mixed reactions to it but I recognized the guy who played Mr. J.L.B. Matekoni in No 1 Ladies Detective Agency as a pirate in GoT. Quite a different character!

BULLITT
The Mister and I watched Bullitt with Steve McQueen on Amazon Prime. It was a nice change of pace from watching current movies. We might try Tom Horn next time we want a sit down without a DVD.

PRIDE AND PREJUDICE - 1940
And I dipped back even farther by trying to watch the 1940's version of Pride and Prejudice with Laurence Olivier and Greer Garson. Patty, look away... I hated it. I think - right off the bat - the costumes threw me. Completely threw me. They set the movie in a later era so they could use fancier costumes. And boy were they 'fancy'. I think this style was probably more popular after Gone With the Wind. Styles come in and out. But going out of period style was not only jarring for me, they just looked ridiculously over the top in their 'fanciness'. Then we go to the dancing. Dang, the dancing is a high second in what I love about the movies. They didn't do English Country Dancing.

If I could have managed to get past those HUGE negatives for me, I might have liked it. But trying to make myself watch, I still couldn't get into the characters. I fast forwarded to the end and just kind of rolled my eyes in how they concluded the story.

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Sep 4 2012, 7:11pm

Post #14 of 31 (268 views)
Shortcut
I agree with everything you say about P&P 1940. [In reply to] Can't Post

Not even Lawrence Olivier could save it for me. I think I read somewhere that the ladies' gowns had been recycled from Gone With The Wind to save money, but I'm not 100% sure.

And that ending was hideous.

And suddenly the Tornadoes saw afar off a greenlight, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame;
and they knew that this was no vision only, but that PJ had made a new thing: The Hobbit, the Film that Is.

Annael
Half-elven

Sep 4 2012, 8:04pm

Post #15 of 31 (279 views)
Shortcut
I saw that when I was 15 [In reply to] Can't Post

and fell madly in love with Laurence Olivier. Then I read the book and realized how far off it was from the book (although I still think it has the best "Jane" of any version I've seen). But I am still fond of it and own a copy, along with my copies of the 1980, 1995, and 2005 versions as well as "Bride and Prejudice."

Did you know Aldous Huxley of "Brave New World" wrote the screenplay?

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 4 2012, 8:41pm

Post #16 of 31 (273 views)
Shortcut
This could easily be a case of... [In reply to] Can't Post

my being way too familiar with other versions and knowing lots of fans of that time period (members of the Regency and Jane Austen Societies).

I mean, not only do I love my favorite versions of her stories (and have been known to use them as mood altering substance) with the expected Regency gowns and period English Country Dances... I know quite a few people who are fairly immersed in the Jane Austen society community. A few even work in historic sites set in that era. And people who do ECD often come via JA and favor those styles of gowns over other periods (even though the dancing has been around since at least 1640 when they were first written down and published).

So to see something so outside that sphere of expectations was hard to accept. And I don't think I've ever been drawn to the Civil War period those gowns came from and I thought they were just stupid looking. I don't remember thinking that about GWTW's gowns but maybe P&P just hit me on an off day and I was being especially unforgiving. :-)

I read a little about this version and some of the ways they stepped away from the book. I normally try to be accepting of alternate takes on material - like A Knight's Tale. (not in the way it stepped from the original Chaucer - something it never tried to duplicate - but in how they inserted anachronistic elements into a particular time period and culture). But I think my fondness level for what I want from a JA movie is too set in stone. (although I can laugh at parodies)

I can appreciate how they changed the dynamic between Darcy and Lizzie. I thought wikipedia put it well: The movie implies that the entire relationship is one long flirtation with a few rough patches, while the novel illustrates the maturation of two people who fall deeply in love after both are irrevocably changed by the other.

I can appreciate it on a detached level but I just - after all my viewings of the other versions - couldn't really accept it.

I did notice Huxley's name. And I also notice it was based on the play by Helen Jerome and the novel by Jane Austen. That kind of sparked a little unease when I saw it in the opening credits.

(This post was edited by Magpie on Sep 4 2012, 8:44pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 5 2012, 12:19am

Post #17 of 31 (301 views)
Shortcut
Joan Cusack rocks, too :D [In reply to] Can't Post

She is such a study in this film! Her facial expressions. The way she talks. When she listens to Stevie Nicks... I love her in this film!

I also heard Jack Black say in an interview that Black and this film were the first ones ever to get permission from Led Zeppelin to use the Immigrant Song in a movie (When he's driving the kids at the audition)... and they did it for him.

But what I love about this film is how Black's character stops and listens to each and every child. He does nothing but lift them up and encourages them to dare to try and to embrace their own talent as individuals. Awesome messages. Awesome music. Awesome movie.

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Annael
Half-elven

Sep 5 2012, 12:57am

Post #18 of 31 (269 views)
Shortcut
oh, you're entirely right that the movie's ridiculous [In reply to] Can't Post

but I was young and silly . . . Tongue

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 5 2012, 2:05am

Post #19 of 31 (276 views)
Shortcut
When I was young, I had crushes on characters from... [In reply to] Can't Post

Fireball XL5.

:-)

weaver
Half-elven

Sep 5 2012, 3:28am

Post #20 of 31 (259 views)
Shortcut
Finally took my son up on watching the more recent Dr. Who's... [In reply to] Can't Post

We saw the first one with Rose, it was fun!

Weaver

Hamfast
Rohan

Sep 5 2012, 3:42am

Post #21 of 31 (234 views)
Shortcut
Very well said gramma ! [In reply to] Can't Post

Joan Cusack is great in the movie. I love her Stevie Nicks lip syncing in the bar !

I heard the same thing about Zep giving them permission, but it was also because they liked the positive messages in the movie toward rock n' roll.

You are so spot on about the writing for Black's character and how each kid is given individual attention...I especially like it when he lifts Larry's spirits in the cafeteria by telling him following his talents playing piano will make him the 'bees knees' to his peers Laugh

The extras on this disc are pretty cool too....interviews and travel/press footage with the kids gives some fun background on their audition process and individual stories. There's also a MTV Diary of Jack Black which is very amusing.

One of my favorite lines from the movie is when his roomate and girlfriend are trying to convince Black he should sell one of his guitars to pay for rent.....

" would you make Picasso sell one of his guitars ? "
LaughLaughLaugh

Annael
Half-elven

Sep 5 2012, 3:19pm

Post #22 of 31 (247 views)
Shortcut
no judgment here . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

my first crush was on Mighty Mouse.

Annael
Half-elven

Sep 5 2012, 3:27pm

Post #23 of 31 (247 views)
Shortcut
oh, enjoy! [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved the Ninth Doctor so much and wished he'd stuck around longer. But David Tennant (the Tenth) made me believe he really is an alien, and the best episodes of the series come during his reign imho. Rose is my favorite of the companions.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Sep 5 2012, 3:39pm

Post #24 of 31 (231 views)
Shortcut
We've enjoyed Eureka [In reply to] Can't Post

The characters interact beautifully and the humorous moments balance out well with the serious ones---it's not as dark a series as some and I've just about had my fill of dark, thank you. (Both Warehouse 13 and Doctor Who have turned dark, to my dismay.)

I think Eureka was wise to end the series, since the plots were almost the same in every episode, even if well-done.

Have you spotted Wil Wheaton yet, in a recurring role? And a host of other F/SF people, not to mention Grant Imihara from Mythbusters in (I think) the very last episode.

Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!

Donry
Tol Eressea

Sep 5 2012, 7:03pm

Post #25 of 31 (249 views)
Shortcut
I haven't [In reply to] Can't Post

Spotted Wil yet....I haven't been looking that hard, but have had it in the back of my mind. There is definitely some repetitiveness in some of the way plots unfold etc... but I do like it....season 4 was getting a bit tiresome with 1940's tie in. It was good but dragged a bit for me. I've just come to the end of that part of in season 4 so I'm looking forward to finishing the series...

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

www.onesecondleft.com
@RDon1secleft
http://donryfetor.blogspot.com/
@DonryFetor

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.