Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Lost LOTR footage with singing Dwarves?

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 3 2012, 10:23pm

Views: 350
Shortcut
Lost LOTR footage with singing Dwarves? Can't Post

I just ran across a couple of old Spy Reports from 1999. It's about the LOTR movies but kind of interesting in regards to The Hobbit so I'm putting it on Main.

These are spy reports. Veracity unknown.

10/28/99
Singing Dwarves?
Dwane Dipply @ 3:05 pm EST
i thought your readers would want to know that the dwarves filmed at harcourt park were SINGING! We could hear them clearly singing some medievel-sounding tune. It was little weird.

10-28-99
More Singing Dwarves
Dwane Dipply @ 4:45 pm EST
A friend of mine lives close to Harcourt Park, and he says he also heard Dwarfes singing there. He wasn't quite sure what is was that they were singing but says he recalls the lines:

"Dwarfes we are, brave and bold,
we swing our axes and search for gold"

This is all I know I'm afraid,
I hope it can be of some interest.

10/29/99, 2:55 pm EST - Xoanon
Rookie Ringer Spy Aiglos Sent me the following.
The scene being shot today (29th) in Harcourt Park is part of the prolouge. This scene briefly outlines the hostile situation between dwarves and elves ( i.e. the trees being chopped down and the fighting ). This was necessary to show the exceptional aspect of the Legolas/Gimli friendship. Other parts of the prolouge may include the making of the ring, Isuldur's battle with Sauron and Bilbo's use of the ring to escape meeting the Sackville-B's

Now, I will say that many of the other reports of filming at Harcourt Park clearly indicate the deforestation of Isengard scenes were being shot. And in some of those (as in the third report above), knowing what we know now, it seems people had expectations of what was going on that were more imagination than fact.

So, was other footage filmed there? Or did someone see Orcs and think Dwarves? Was a battle of Dwarves vs Elves all in someone's imagination? Did someone really sing? And if so, was it singing done for filming or a bunch of stunties trying to stay warm in the rain?

It just seems interesting to me since whether the Dwarves (or anyone) should sing in The Hobbit has been a debate since the early days on these boards. And then, when we heard them sing, lots of people love it. In fact, Doug mentioned that he couldn't remember "the last time a piece of music from a trailer had so many YouTube covers a year before the film's release."

And, secondarily, looking at these old spy reports where people are so sure of their info and we're - 10 Years After - so sure they were completely wrong... should work as a caution against what we hear today. But then, that was then and this is now. And it's a different world today then yester-decade.

If you want citations for any of these reports, let me know. But grabbing a phrase and googling it with quotes around it should get you what you want pretty quickly.

:-)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Subject User Time
Lost LOTR footage with singing Dwarves? Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Sep 3 2012, 10:23pm
    " looking at these old spy reports where people are so sure of their info" Loresilme Send a private message to Loresilme Sep 4 2012, 4:18pm
        that may have been true Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Sep 4 2012, 4:36pm
            'Close to signing' vs. 'under consideration' Loresilme Send a private message to Loresilme Sep 4 2012, 6:06pm
    I wouldn't doubt it! grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Sep 4 2012, 4:39pm
    nice reminder about the LOTR speculation years... weaver Send a private message to weaver Sep 5 2012, 1:56am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.