Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Smeagol's name in the Dead Marshes

FlyingSerkis
Rivendell

Sep 3 2012, 4:14pm

Views: 1046
Shortcut
Smeagol's name in the Dead Marshes Can't Post

Sorry if this question has been asked before! This is my first post here Smile

There's a great moment in the Two Towers film where Frodo calls Gollum "Smeagol" (a name he has heard from Gandalf), and Gollum reacts as if he hasn't heard that name for hundreds of years. Indeed, in the 'discovery of the ring' opening of the Return of the King, he explicitly states "We even forgot our own name".

As far as I recall, in the book, Gandalf found out Smeagol's name when he and Aragorn were following him around, and listening to him muttering to himself. However, film-Gollum wouldn't have said anything about Smeagol if he'd forgotten the name, so how does film-Gandalf know the name?

[Note: I do not expect all answers to this question to be completely serious Wink though if there is a good reason someone can come up with or if I've missed something obvious I'd like to know]

Subject User Time
Smeagol's name in the Dead Marshes FlyingSerkis Send a private message to FlyingSerkis Sep 3 2012, 4:14pm
    First of all, welcome to TORn! Delrond Send a private message to Delrond Sep 3 2012, 5:17pm
        Slightly off topic. Spaldron Send a private message to Spaldron Sep 3 2012, 7:32pm
        There's a more important issue, though Kristin Thompson Send a private message to Kristin Thompson Sep 3 2012, 10:14pm
            Good point, but... FlyingSerkis Send a private message to FlyingSerkis Sep 3 2012, 10:43pm
                But film-Gandalf says specifically Kristin Thompson Send a private message to Kristin Thompson Sep 3 2012, 10:46pm
                    Yup, definitely something of a weak point in the script FlyingSerkis Send a private message to FlyingSerkis Sep 3 2012, 10:57pm
                    The enemy found him first. Delrond Send a private message to Delrond Sep 3 2012, 11:38pm
                        Interrogation methods. Fardragon Send a private message to Fardragon Sep 4 2012, 12:09pm
                            Like it! // FlyingSerkis Send a private message to FlyingSerkis Sep 4 2012, 12:21pm
                                It always bugged me... TheHutt Send a private message to TheHutt Sep 4 2012, 12:37pm
                    I thought it was implied by the word 'first' Loresilme Send a private message to Loresilme Sep 4 2012, 4:46pm
                        Somewhat ambiguous, no doubt Kristin Thompson Send a private message to Kristin Thompson Sep 4 2012, 5:45pm
            Too much information! Solicitr Send a private message to Solicitr Sep 8 2012, 1:21pm
                I think Yngwulff Send a private message to Yngwulff Sep 15 2012, 9:16pm
                Amen Shelob'sAppetite Send a private message to Shelob'sAppetite Sep 15 2012, 9:51pm
                    I am so glad Elutherian Send a private message to Elutherian Sep 16 2012, 2:10am
                        Can't tell Solicitr Send a private message to Solicitr Sep 16 2012, 6:20pm
                            Amen Shelob'sAppetite Send a private message to Shelob'sAppetite Sep 18 2012, 4:28am
                        Who said anything about loyal? Shelob'sAppetite Send a private message to Shelob'sAppetite Sep 18 2012, 4:27am
        Thanks FlyingSerkis Send a private message to FlyingSerkis Sep 3 2012, 10:37pm
    heh heh Loresilme Send a private message to Loresilme Sep 4 2012, 4:42pm
        Cheers! FlyingSerkis Send a private message to FlyingSerkis Sep 4 2012, 4:52pm
            That was a riff on... Spaldron Send a private message to Spaldron Sep 5 2012, 5:06am
                Yes, I think that's right // FlyingSerkis Send a private message to FlyingSerkis Sep 5 2012, 9:45am
    Well... Mooseboy018 Send a private message to Mooseboy018 Sep 4 2012, 10:33pm
    It can be assumed that he would talk about one Sméagol Plurmo Send a private message to Plurmo Sep 5 2012, 2:46am
    The gift of hindsight, maybe? weaver Send a private message to weaver Sep 5 2012, 3:14am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.