Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
CBS Sunday Morning did a short piece for anniversary of JRRT's death.

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 2 2012, 1:26pm

Post #1 of 24 (861 views)
Shortcut
CBS Sunday Morning did a short piece for anniversary of JRRT's death. Can't Post

It was only a few minutes long.

They promo-ed it (before the commercial) and started the piece using Shire music and an illustration of Tolkien's (didn't note which one).

It remarked that 39 years ago today, JRRT died.

Then offered a brief timeline of publishing Hobbit and LOTR - followed by release of LOTR movies and Oscar wins. They had a quick shot of the LOTR theatrical production logo but I don't think they mentioned it.

Saying his works have become part of pop culture they showed a clip of Big Bang Theory where Sheldon dreamed he was turning Gollum-ish.

And then they reported that a crater on Mercury named for him.

I can't remember how they wrapped up the piece... it was not long, at all. But CBS Sunday Morning is one of my favorite shows and it was such a delight to have this piece pop up.

I found a transcript on their website.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on Sep 2 2012, 1:28pm)

macfalk
Valinor

Sep 2 2012, 1:43pm

Post #2 of 24 (552 views)
Shortcut
I wonder if [In reply to] Can't Post

There will be something special next year when it's the 40th year anniversary?

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

Loresilme
Valinor

Sep 2 2012, 1:46pm

Post #3 of 24 (546 views)
Shortcut
That made me smile [In reply to] Can't Post

a little wistfully, but still :). Thanks.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 2 2012, 2:41pm

Post #4 of 24 (536 views)
Shortcut
*jaw drops* Wonderful! [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh wow, Magpie! That's so touching.

I remember being very upset that the Google banner didn't honour Tolkien's Birthday ;) Funny what becomes so important to us.

Thank you for this... and for the transcript! I'm going to go to their website or youtube later to see if I can find it.

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

TomthePilgrim
Rohan

Sep 2 2012, 2:52pm

Post #5 of 24 (557 views)
Shortcut
Nice . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

. . . although I wish there had been more on Tolkien himself and less on PJ and the movies.
loved that picture of the family walking . . . haven't seen that one.

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began
Now far ahead the Road has gone
And I must follow, if I can

"Thorin sat up with a start. 'Something is not right,' he muttered to himself as he stood up and
looked towards the mirror . . . . . . . . . 'Durin's bones', he gasped, 'what's happened to my beard?'"

geordie
Tol Eressea

Sep 2 2012, 3:29pm

Post #6 of 24 (558 views)
Shortcut
This is a nice thread - [In reply to] Can't Post

- thanks, Magpie.

The picture of the Tolkiens was taken during their last holiday as a family, at Weston-Super-Mare, Somerset, in 1940. It's featured in John and Priscilla Tolkien's book 'The Tolkien Family Album', which is out of print now, and very much worth looking out for. Our copy is signed by both Priscilla and Fr. John; and also Tolkien's grand-daughter Joanna. It's a very nice book (the family holiday picture is also featured on the back cover).

Elessar
Valinor

Sep 2 2012, 3:51pm

Post #7 of 24 (533 views)
Shortcut
That was awesome! [In reply to] Can't Post

Very nice little bit CBS just did. Man, I love middle-earth.

(This post was edited by Elessar on Sep 2 2012, 3:51pm)

TomthePilgrim
Rohan

Sep 2 2012, 4:07pm

Post #8 of 24 (525 views)
Shortcut
I don't have that one . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

. . . I'll look around. I'm pretty apt at find hard-to-find books, as my cluttered house will attest.
Thanx Smile

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began
Now far ahead the Road has gone
And I must follow, if I can

"Thorin sat up with a start. 'Something is not right,' he muttered to himself as he stood up and
looked towards the mirror . . . . . . . . . 'Durin's bones', he gasped, 'what's happened to my beard?'"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 2 2012, 4:34pm

Post #9 of 24 (516 views)
Shortcut
What a nice tribute. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd forgotten that family pic! Heart

Thanks, Magpie!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

silneldor
Half-elven

Sep 2 2012, 5:01pm

Post #10 of 24 (532 views)
Shortcut
Thank you Magpie [In reply to] Can't Post

That was a joy, and i never seen that shot before of the family.

I have no tv here (in summer) so i would have missed this regular show i really like and catch when i can. There are so many nice segments to look forward to. It is quite different from usual mode/mood of what could be called 'entertainment' .

''Sam put his ragged orc-cloak under his master's head, and covered them both with the grey robe of Lorien; and as he did so his thoughts went out to that fair land, and to the Elves, and he hoped that the cloth woven by their hands might have some virtue to keep them hidden beyond all hope in this wilderness of fear...But their luck held, and for the rest of that day they met no living or moving thing; and when night fell they vanished into the darkess of Mordor.'' - - -rotk, chapter III

Faerie contains many things besides elves and fays and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are one in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted."
J.R.R. Tolkien

May the grace of Manw let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manw Slimo

"The original sin is to limit the Is. Don't" - Richard Bach

sherlock
Gondor

Sep 2 2012, 5:13pm

Post #11 of 24 (523 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, I was in the kitchen when I heard the [In reply to] Can't Post

Howard Shore music so of course I had to check it out. It was short but good to see Tolkien stuff back on TV!

Noel Q. von Schneiffel
Rivendell

Sep 2 2012, 5:57pm

Post #12 of 24 (514 views)
Shortcut
Very good. [In reply to] Can't Post

There are a few round number anniversaries coming up in the coming years. There is the 40th anniversary of his death in 2013; the 60th anniversary of the first publishing of LotR in 2014; and even closer, next week it will be the 100th anniversary of the British government lifting the century-old ban on halos (September 7, 1912). As we all know, Tolkien had a halo, and the law had forced him to wear a woolly hat in public until then. It was a cause of celebration for Tolkien to not need that any longer; it also made his life safer, because he was better visible to cars when he jogged late at night.

The Glorious Truth of J.R.R. Tolkien
Radiates from his Holy Writings

http://www.tolkientruth.info/

PattyJB
Rivendell

Sep 2 2012, 6:03pm

Post #13 of 24 (505 views)
Shortcut
Short but sweet [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank-you so much for sharing this, Magpie. What a pleasant surprise.

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 2 2012, 6:06pm

Post #14 of 24 (499 views)
Shortcut
Had it not been for this post [In reply to] Can't Post

I would have forgotten. I've not read/seen anything on our news over here. Thanks for this Magpie Smile

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 2 2012, 6:15pm

Post #15 of 24 (515 views)
Shortcut
not sure what this ban on halos is about [In reply to] Can't Post

but have you seen this?

https://www.trinitystores.com/...rr-tolkien-1892-1973

Noel Q. von Schneiffel
Rivendell

Sep 2 2012, 6:22pm

Post #16 of 24 (502 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

I have seen it, thanks to Dernwyn, who sent me the link a while ago. I'm totally getting one of those prints for Christmas.

They are actually not drawings, but very accurate photographs, you know. In almost all other pictures of Tolkien I found online, the halo has been photoshopped away. This, of course, is nothing but a conspiracy by Tolkien's enemies, who are jealous of his sainthood.

Patty
Immortal

Sep 2 2012, 7:00pm

Post #17 of 24 (507 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Magpie. Mr. Patty loves to watch that show, and would have caught it if... [In reply to] Can't Post

one of his other favorite shows hadn't been running a marathon. ( The Newsroom)

Permanent address: Into the West

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Sep 2 2012, 8:00pm

Post #18 of 24 (486 views)
Shortcut
There's now also a video of it on their website link. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks, Magpie.Smile

guitarzankansasfan
Lorien

Sep 3 2012, 5:18am

Post #19 of 24 (449 views)
Shortcut
Did you mean 1970? [In reply to] Can't Post

Was that a typo? 4 is right below 7 on the numeric keypad. Anyway I was thinking 33 years is an awful long time to go without a family vacation before you die.

"...and the power of Mordor was scattering like dust in the wind."

guitarzankansasfan
Lorien

Sep 3 2012, 5:29am

Post #20 of 24 (454 views)
Shortcut
But that makes no sense! [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien was a Roman Catholic, and that is clearly an Eastern Orthodox icon! How could this have happened?

The only explanation is time travel; Tolkien must have been magically transported back to ancient Byzantium before the great schism between Rome and Constantinople, and while he was there must have served as a model for early medieval Greek paintings-- in this case, the little-known Saint John Ronald of the Pipe-Weed. This also explains the Byzantine influence on Gondorian architecture.

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 3 2012, 5:47am

Post #21 of 24 (455 views)
Shortcut
considering that Tolkien would have been 78 in 1970 [In reply to] Can't Post

and the children long grown... then I think geordie meant 1940. In 1940, the kids would have been 23, 20, 16, and 11... which looks about right in that photo.

Perhaps geordie is saying this is the last vacation with all family members together because after that, the older sons had left the household - esp. considering WWII was in progress and I think the sons all served in the military.

geordie
Tol Eressea

Sep 3 2012, 12:18pm

Post #22 of 24 (434 views)
Shortcut
Quite right - [In reply to] Can't Post

- and what I said was more or less a quote from the picture caption in the Tolkien Family Album; ie, their last family holiday.

As you say, John was around 23 at the time - though he didn't join up; he was in Rome, training as a priest at the time of the fall of France in early 1940. Priscilla told us a story one Oxonmoot of how the English lads were packed off home on the train, through France; with all the delays and diversions, to avoid the areas where fighting was taking place. John was on the last ship to leave Le Havre.

Christopher would have been almost 16 in that photo. Later he was called up into the RAF, and spent most of 1944 in South Africa training as a pilot. On Spitfires. Later in the war, he transferred to the Fleet Air Arm, I believe; flying Sea Furies. I saw one of these at an air-show last year; the noise of the engine starting up frightened me, let alone anything else.

The Tolkiens went on to have many happy holidays, together or apart - e.g, JRR went on a trip to Italy with Priscilla in the 50s, IIRC - Scull and Hammond give this trip quite a bit of attention in their Chronology - it contains much previously unpublished stuff from JRR's diaries.

Noel Q. von Schneiffel
Rivendell

Sep 3 2012, 1:49pm

Post #23 of 24 (435 views)
Shortcut
Quite likely. [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien did travel through time now and then. That happened because he wrote so many pages - manuscripts, drafts, annotations, letters, notes and all - that they caused a strong gravitation field in his study. A wormhole, in other words. I believe Tolkien stepped into that hole a couple of times to buy milk and eggs from ye olden days when milk and eggs were cheaper. But that is the thing with wormholes, sometimes they take you back further into the past than you planned.

weaver
Half-elven

Sep 5 2012, 2:09am

Post #24 of 24 (424 views)
Shortcut
just seeing this now... [In reply to] Can't Post

I little light on Tolkien the man, but I liked the photos and the Tolkien drawings they featured. And also the way they presented the LOTR films as a tribute and honor to Tolkien. That, to me, has always been the right context for the films and the spirit in which they were and are being made.

Weaver

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.