A board feature/thread I would find helpful
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 1 2012, 5:12pm

Post #1 of 73 (2639 views)
Shortcut
A board feature/thread I would find helpful Can't Post

There are too many threads and posts on The Hobbit board for me to keep up. And since I'm mostly interested in first level news (without a lot of spoilers or fine details), most of the conversations aren't what I'm interested in following. And it's hard, without having a good feel of the regulars and the flow of threads over time, to always discern what is real news and what is fun and games.

It would be great, imo, for those of us who are only lightly following the Hobbit, if someone who *is* following Hobbit news closely would post a weekly thread on Main of 'this week of Hobbit news in review'. If there is no news, then no thread would get posted. Or it could be a fortnight or twice monthly feature. I see this as very basic. Like:

New photos posted on Empire: go here (with a link to the thread that offered the links or the article on home page)
New production blog discussing the score posted on PJs Facebook page (with link....)

I don't think we've done anything like this and it isn't really 'allowed' in terms of how the board guidelines are currently now set up and commonly followed. If it's Hobbit news, it belongs on the Hobbit board. But I think digests and recaps have been shown to be appreciated in other venues so perhaps it's not an awful idea.

What do the admins/mods think? In terms of who would do it, I guess I'm thinking of it being 'managed' along the lines of other regular or occasionally posted series of threads. One person does it until they don't want to and then they recruit another volunteer. If it's left open for anyone to do, I could see some confusion going on as to who is doing it and when. And there sometimes seems to be this drive to be 'the first' and I don't want to see it become competitive. Also, I wouldn't hope for it to be a lot of work but the person who means to do it would likely be making notes, perhaps, as they visit the board over the week.... so it seems a shame to have multiple people duplicating the work of others.

In my mind... I've nominated DanielLB for the job. :-) He's around a lot. He seems to read everything (I don't know how he finds the time). He's organized. And he's a good soul. :-) I'm sure there are others that would do well, he's just one name that perks up in my attention filter.

But it seemed unwise to approach him and ask for this 'favor' when I wasn't sure it should be done (in terms of board guidelines about where threads are placed).

Thanks for considering it.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 1 2012, 6:14pm

Post #2 of 73 (2302 views)
Shortcut
Sort of like: TORn Message Board Weekly Roundup? But more relevant to actual news? [In reply to] Can't Post

Firstly, I like this idea. GallifreyBase (a Doctor Who forum) that I lurk in have a thread dedicated to spoilers/news only. It works surprisingly well, especially for someone like me, who only visits that forum once a week (or so). I can see the benefits for it on this forum too (as explained in your post). It might also become more important as we get closer and closer to the release of the films. Threads move onto page 2 so quickly, even I struggle to keep up sometimes.

Secondly, I would most definitely be up for taking on the "job". If it's posted on TORn I'll read it (and more than likely, reply to it) Wink. As you say, there are plenty of people on TORn that could do the same job. But I'd be happy to take it on, if mods/admins are happy with the idea (and happy with me fronting it).

Great idea Magpie, and thanks for suggesting me Smile.

Altaira
Superuser

Sep 1 2012, 6:26pm

Post #3 of 73 (2264 views)
Shortcut
My one hesitation [In reply to] Can't Post

...is that some people avoid the Hobbit board specifically because they're trying to avoid spoilers. So, it would either have to always be marked with a 'spoiler' mention in the subject, or any spoilers in the list would have to be vague. Example:

1) Howard Shore starts recording music

2) Interview with Ian McKellen reveals new plot points (spoilers) (As opposed to writing: Interview with Ian McKellan reveals Gandalf starts a wizard's band in Rivendell)

3) New trailer announced to be playing with xxxx movie (spoilers)

4) TORn staffers comment on frame-by-frame analysis of new trailer (spoilers)

etc., etc.

Links to the related threads could be provided for the adventurous. Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Sep 1 2012, 6:36pm

Post #4 of 73 (2284 views)
Shortcut
Support [In reply to] Can't Post

This past week I've taken a couple short breaks from checking the boards (a couple12-24h gaps). I don't mind finding a couple hundred new posts after a 12 hour gap, but to find half a dozen new threads oi. And they always seem to come fast and furious when there is a really popular thread or two in progress. There's no way the twin Thranduil threads should have been pushed off page 1 so fast... replaced by what? I can't even be bothered to click on them...

Anyway, this is an excellent suggestion since it doesn't involve redesigning the board... and Daniel would be my first choice to head-up something like this. But only if he can keep his editorialising and tendency to browbeat everyone into submission in check.

Laugh

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on 0 secs ago)

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 1 2012, 8:50pm

Post #5 of 73 (2258 views)
Shortcut
I was thinking the second approach [In reply to] Can't Post

That spoilers not be posted - although, perhaps someone might think that finding out Shore has started recording *is* a spoiler. But I was thinking very vague and absolutely link to the thread (or report on Home page). If someone wants to talk about the subject, I think that should happen on the Hobbit board. I'm not looking for a different place to converse. Only to be given the key news points I should go looking for if I'm interested. I'm not opposed to conversing on the Hobbit board. I just can't quite find the time to sort through all the different sorts of conversation for concrete *news*.

If someone is being absolutely pristine about spoilers, then honestly.. I don't know why they would want any news. So I'm thinking they wouldn't open up the news recap thread at all. Or it would be foolish of them to do so. :-)

Of course, the Home page posts a lot of news and I could just go there. (And I do check it somewhat frequently) But there's kind of the same issue. Lots of non-Hobbit stuff and it's easy for things to fall to second page if I haven't checked recently.

edit to add after thinking a moment: I think, should we consider trying this - that the person doing this should be - as Altaira and I have commented - very circumspect in avoiding spoilers. I don't want to need to know the actual news in this recap thread. I just need to know that new info is out there and what form it takes (new photos - video - cast info). Then I want to find out where I can get go for more info.

With that in mind, I would suggest that readers feel comfortable providing feedback if they feel something has crossed the 'spoiler' line and the thread leader be receptive to that feedback. I think those that are staying abreast of news don't think of things as spoilers because they learned that bit of info long ago. But those that are avoiding certain types of spoilers might not know that at all. Old news isn't necessarily a non-spoiler... if you get my drift. :-)

(This post was edited by Magpie on Sep 1 2012, 8:57pm)

imin
Valinor

Sep 1 2012, 9:03pm

Post #6 of 73 (2228 views)
Shortcut
Kinda like a hobbit in 5 [In reply to] Can't Post

but instead of being a short video having it as a thread?

I think this would be a good idea. I do follow the hobbit board but there are still things i miss so it must be the same but more so for others.

On another note, what happened to the hobbit in 5? There was a change of presenter and then it just stopped, was everything ok?

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 1 2012, 10:10pm

Post #7 of 73 (2254 views)
Shortcut
Sounds good to me [In reply to] Can't Post

Spoilers, and their subsequent speculation, should be over in the actual Hobbit movie board. And so the thread isn't just a long list of jumbled up sentences and links, it could be split into different "spoiler areas", such as;

New videos/adverts/vlogs etc
New pictures/stills/shots/posters
Set reports
Casting (announcements)General (or a sub-category similar to)
Gaming & Collecting (if relevant to new information)

If that makes sense? That way, if people still want to avoid the temptation of clicking on certain links, they can simply go to the heading that interests them the most. And, obviously, speculation (however good it may be) wouldn't be included. No need to worry about that, SirD Wink.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 2 2012, 5:49pm

Post #8 of 73 (2217 views)
Shortcut
One person's news is another person's spoiler [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder if we can find an adequate line between news and spoiler that will satisfy everyone. We can't get agreement on the Hoh it page!

Another suggestion I would have is that the post on Main be locked to avoid a conversation starting. All discussions should be limited to the Hobbit board.

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 2 2012, 6:27pm

Post #9 of 73 (2206 views)
Shortcut
I thought the same thing about locking the thread [In reply to] Can't Post

The only legitimate conversation I could see is if someone wanted a little more info on how spoilerish a certain bit of news might be before they visited.

But I suspect that either one is being scrupulous about spoilers - in which case they should just avoid all links to news and the threads that offer links to news. Or they take personal responsibility and just make the choice: visit or not.

If I'm told that there is news at the end of a link - and I click on it and find it too spoilerish - I only blame myself.

The only time I want to blame other people is when spoilerish news is inserted into conversation where I wasn't expecting spoilers (like the time someone spoiled - out of the blue - the end of Half Blood Prince for me on a LOST forum) or I can't avoid it (like in subject lines).

So, the slight benefit that could be gained from asking 'how spoilerish is this' could easily be offset by the gain in not allowing conversation to take place about the actual subjects (which could get spoilerish quickly) of the news on the wrong board.

And again, I'm not suggesting we put the actual news in this thread. Just a heads up that some new info (etc) is available and then a link to where we can find out more about this new info.

If someone finds : "New pictures posted at ew.com" to be spoilers... they should just avoid this thread. I don't need anymore than that simple sentence. Perhaps it could go as far as "New pictures of characters" or "New behind the scenes photos" or "New set pictures". But that's all I need to make the decision as to whether it's news I want to follow up on or not.

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 2 2012, 8:50pm

Post #10 of 73 (2214 views)
Shortcut
An example (and just to cover my back - spoilers inside!) [In reply to] Can't Post

I've picked out announcements that have come out in the last 4 days. Would a format similar to this be acceptable? Gives anyone reading the thread enough detail, and links (both to the appropriate thread/s, and source, if given), but doesn't give anything (or very little) away.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

01/09/12

Covers to tie-in books revealed [Thread]

Previous Games Workshop list a hoax [Thread]

Trilogy titles, and release dates, confirmed [Thread] [Source]

31/08/12

New picture of Thrain's key [Thread] [Source]

30/08/12

Thranduil revealed [Thread] [Source]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 2 2012, 9:02pm

Post #11 of 73 (2172 views)
Shortcut
That works for me [In reply to] Can't Post

what do others think?

slight tweak... which isn't an indication that I consider it inadequate - but as an example of how to provide non-spoiler but useful detail.

"Thranduil revealed" - I might wonder - do you mean that the actor playing Thranduil has been identified? Or the first image of Thranduil has been released (or leaked).

And that brings up - I consider firm, solid non official news to be 'news'. But there's a long continuum that ranges from solid official to wild speculation to out and out hoaxing.

I am (myself) only interested in fairly solid news. I would consider solid news to be stuff published in magazines, on leading websites (Empire, ew.com, etc), or from official sources.

But there might be some value in identifying the source or credibility in some cases. So if a behind the scenes photo is leaked - that might be a different sort of news than a publicity shot.

So maybe that last item could read (and I'm going to guess as to what this news might actually be): publicity photo of Thranduil released. Or information on management company indicates actor playing Thranduil. etc.

Does that make sense?

I like how you provided a link to the thread and the source.

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 2 2012, 9:09pm

Post #12 of 73 (2187 views)
Shortcut
Makes perfect sense [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the feedback Magpie Smile. Yes, it would make more sense if the last point read "First publicity photo of Thranduil released" (or something similar), rather than something too vague (and perhaps confusing/misleading).

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 2 2012, 9:17pm

Post #13 of 73 (2183 views)
Shortcut
Maybe we can get some input from other board members [In reply to] Can't Post

To see if this idea would work. We would want to appeal to as broad a range of members as possible. If the thread is locked, we won't be able to monitor the level of acceptance by the number and tone of the replies, and I hate to see anyone put in a bunch of work that a limited number of readers appreciate.

My process-oriented brain is also thinking that we want to set a time frame in advance for the thread to be posted so the admins know and can lock it quickly, if we gain consensus on locking the thread.

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 2 2012, 9:39pm

Post #14 of 73 (2191 views)
Shortcut
Maybe... [In reply to] Can't Post

A poll, or perhaps a thread on Main or Hobbit Movie board? I can't imagine many people check this part of the forum to get enough views and opinions.

If it gets the go ahead, I'm sure I/we/whoever puts the thread together could agree on a day and time posted with admins. Personally, the most sensible time of the week would be a Friday (or during the weekend, since they can be quiet at times), as it's the end of the week.

Smile

PattyJB
Rivendell

Sep 2 2012, 9:49pm

Post #15 of 73 (2173 views)
Shortcut
I like it! [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB, this would be so helpful to me. I'll echo that I like the link to the source. My only suggestion would be that, since we are an international group, the dates be in an explicit format.

2012-Sep-01
2012-01-Sep

or something like that.

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Sep 2 2012, 10:19pm

Post #16 of 73 (2164 views)
Shortcut
Sounds like it would work [In reply to] Can't Post

Very happily to me too.

LR

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 2 2012, 10:31pm

Post #17 of 73 (2161 views)
Shortcut
just for the record... [In reply to] Can't Post

I made the suggestion but I think I've sufficiently provided input from my chair. So I'm going to happily let you and the admins/mods work out the rest. I think you're a dear for jumping on my nomination of you and being proactive and receptive.

Thanks to everyone for considering it and providing feedback.

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 3 2012, 7:10am

Post #18 of 73 (2136 views)
Shortcut
All credit goes to Magpie :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

The explicit date format would work much better - I'm too use to writing it as dd/mm/yy, so thanks for pointing it out PattyJB! Smile

NottaSackville
Valinor

Sep 4 2012, 11:53am

Post #19 of 73 (2137 views)
Shortcut
I'm in favor of this [In reply to] Can't Post

I also like the idea of the thread being locked.

Notta

How will you get to the Lonely Mountain?

Help TORn log enough miles to get us to Smaug's home by Dec. 2013: Walk to Rivendell - Thursdays on Main (image courtesy of Arwen's daughter)

NottaSackville
Valinor

Sep 4 2012, 11:54am

Post #20 of 73 (2158 views)
Shortcut
Wait! What?! Gandalf forms a band?! What is the movie coming to?! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

Notta

How will you get to the Lonely Mountain?

Help TORn log enough miles to get us to Smaug's home by Dec. 2013: Walk to Rivendell - Thursdays on Main (image courtesy of Arwen's daughter)

Altaira
Superuser

Sep 4 2012, 7:54pm

Post #21 of 73 (2171 views)
Shortcut
Ditto [In reply to] Can't Post

On both counts. I also like the idea of an initial thread on Main to get more input from people there. But, based on Daniel's sample, and other input, it looks great! After the initial input thread, locked would get my vote. Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 5 2012, 1:46am

Post #22 of 73 (2141 views)
Shortcut
Agreed. Also... [In reply to] Can't Post

it occurs to me that maybe we could include items of general interest from Gaming & Collecting as well? I think few people actually check there but that's where all the merchandising info is. It seems to me that a lot of people are missing out on things they might be interested in. Maybe a mention in the roundup thread would remind people to take a look once in a while.

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 5 2012, 1:56am

Post #23 of 73 (2138 views)
Shortcut
Gramma does an occasional [In reply to] Can't Post

article on the Home Page that is a message board round-up. I'm not sure what criteria she uses, but maybe there's a way to coordinate this idea with her article.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 5 2012, 3:02am

Post #24 of 73 (2122 views)
Shortcut
Yes, but usually [In reply to] Can't Post

we delete the NfB posts that generates, on the theory that people here already know. Maybe Daniel and gramma could coordinate their efforts?

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 5 2012, 3:13am

Post #25 of 73 (2116 views)
Shortcut
Yes - agree. [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobbit roundup thread is different from the overall message-board roundup, and the intention and location is different.

Gramma is summarizing overall message board activity, and it's on the Home Page in case a casual visitor might be interested and join in the conversation. The Hobbit roundup is intended to summarize Hobbit movie activity for folks already on the message boards, and appears on the message boards, who are avoiding spoilers, but still want to know what is new about the movies. Different audiences, different content, but I think there are several topics that will appear in both summaries, and coordination is a good thing. Smile

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.