Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
First pictures of Thranduil and the White Council SPOILER!!!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 31 2012, 7:52am

Post #151 of 176 (4382 views)
Shortcut
The difference is... [In reply to] Can't Post

... those Ringwraith crowns work fine because the Wraiths are evil and the design team established "spiky" as the evil design aesthetic.

Everything Elvish was circular and flowing, Dwarvish was angular and blocky, etc.

I do believe the design team could have come up with a perfectly elegant yet different crown (not tiara) for Thranduil. Regardless, I do not see the point of a backward facing crown LOL.

Gah! The life of a geek is a hard one EvilSly

The Plan 9 Interview... in celebration of the 10th anniversary of the release of The Fellowship of the Ring.

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 31 2012, 8:03am

Post #152 of 176 (4363 views)
Shortcut
The only thing I can suggest is... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Everything Elvish was circular and flowing, Dwarvish was angular and blocky, etc.

Thranduil is a rebel Wink. He doesn't like the circular and flowing designs of Lorien and Rivendell Elves (and Legolas). Laugh

Personally, I had always imagined Thranduil's headpiece as more wreath like, rather than a crown or tiara. Not as full as a (Christmas) wreath, but that kind of design. I don't know why I'm moaning though ... I love the design. Even the eyebrows are growing on me.

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 31 2012, 8:21am

Post #153 of 176 (4387 views)
Shortcut
Sweet! [In reply to] Can't Post

I too imagined a wreath Cool

And yeah, I too have no idea why I'm picking this apart... it's not half bad.

The Plan 9 Interview... in celebration of the 10th anniversary of the release of The Fellowship of the Ring.

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Aug 31 2012, 10:55am

Post #154 of 176 (4320 views)
Shortcut
the crown [In reply to] Can't Post

Well I donīt feel comfortable with the robe, too shinny, but Iīm shure that with the ilumination of the set, it will be cool.

The crown still sound me a bit ridiculous, thought I said I love risks in design, and I know I will thank this desgin.
But nowadays,sorry, I canīt completely with it yet. I love the leaves anyway, but it seems to me very tall. And the fact that it is only in his back, I donīt know, but makes it a little bit more like a mere headdress than a strong sign of power. And reminds me a little bit to the back combs that women wear in Fallas here in Valencia, Spain, as a traditional dress.

But I wanna make clear, that it is a matter of time, Iīm pretty shure that at the end I will get used to it and Iīll like itTongue

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Aug 31 2012, 1:41pm

Post #155 of 176 (4317 views)
Shortcut
Is there some reason people can't type "Over The Top"? [In reply to] Can't Post

It is tiresome to decode messages. And as there are a number of people who do not use English as their first language...
The crown is very nice, suitable for the king of the woodland Elves.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 31 2012, 1:44pm

Post #156 of 176 (4270 views)
Shortcut
Will do in the future [In reply to] Can't Post

Though, I don't usually shorten words. I was just replying to Earl Smile

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Aug 31 2012, 4:05pm

Post #157 of 176 (4307 views)
Shortcut
The thread was a good idea, Thranduil deserves his own thread! [In reply to] Can't Post

I did the same thing a while back with Radagast, if only to make more people aware.

"Radagast is, of course, a worthy wizard, a master of shapes and changes of hue, and he has much lore of herbs and beasts, and birds are especially his friends."-Gandalf, The Lord of the Rings.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Aug 31 2012, 4:11pm

Post #158 of 176 (4260 views)
Shortcut
The crown doesn't say fantasy at all, IMO [In reply to] Can't Post

If you did a survey of historical head-dresses among royalty, you would find far, far more outlandish headgear than that!

The elven tiaras were more "fantasy" than this, IMO, as I am not aware of many monarchs from history wearing such things.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Aug 31 2012, 4:13pm

Post #159 of 176 (4262 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure it is anywhere stated [In reply to] Can't Post

That "everything elvish was circular and flowing, Dwarvish was angular and blocky..."

It is that "one-note" sort of description that makes things seem like fantasy, rather than reality. I prefer some diversity of styles among the denizens of Middle Earth.

imin
Valinor

Aug 31 2012, 4:59pm

Post #160 of 176 (4266 views)
Shortcut
yeah i always imagined it to be wreath like [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that may because its how it comes across in the book though Tongue I dont think anyone can seriously say they thought it would look exactly how they have made it look.

Saying that, i do like it, lol. there is an image on Thranduils page on Tolkien Gateway which has a crown which is wreath like, i think this is similar to what i had imagined.

imin
Valinor

Aug 31 2012, 5:00pm

Post #161 of 176 (4214 views)
Shortcut
I have been saying this same thing for a while now [In reply to] Can't Post

It just gives the impression that each culture is too one dimensional with hardly any diversity running through it.

I understand the reasons behind doing so, but i think some dwarvish things not being angular but with curves would be great to see and vice versa with elves. Ah well :P

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Aug 31 2012, 5:18pm

Post #162 of 176 (4305 views)
Shortcut
...straight into BotR-ish style parody. [In reply to] Can't Post

It takes the autumn feast party theme to new heights by giving Legolam's dad a royal headdress reminiscent of about half a crown roast of pork with a garnish of colored leaves!

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Aug 31 2012, 7:25pm

Post #163 of 176 (4237 views)
Shortcut
It looks like a robe to me. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I can imagine that courtly vestments would resemble warrior armor in some ways, especially in small details.

And suddenly the Tornadoes saw afar off a greenlight, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame;
and they knew that this was no vision only, but that PJ had made a new thing: The Hobbit, the Film that Is.

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Aug 31 2012, 8:14pm

Post #164 of 176 (4231 views)
Shortcut
I think the crown works [In reply to] Can't Post

for Thranduil as it is almost jarring in it's design, something conceived beyond the thought of humans and reflects the whole quality of being fair and fell at the same time, alomst like an angel that can be beautiful to behold but terrible in wrath.

Had another look at the shiny coat that is concerning people. For me the subtlety of the thread and material mitigates any perceived gaudiness.

Question for UC, have you made that sword yet? have you made that sword yet? have you made that sword yet? have you made that sword yet? have you made that sword yet? have you m..........

(This post was edited by ElendilTheShort on Aug 31 2012, 8:18pm)

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Sep 1 2012, 5:38am

Post #165 of 176 (4247 views)
Shortcut
I think it merely evidence that THe Elf King is capable of a certain harmless vanity [In reply to] Can't Post

He wants his intricate, attention seizing crown, but he does not want it to interrupt the beauty and symmetry of his face. I like the crown. Thranduil is a wilder and more exotic elf than Elrond. He is an Elf of Wilderland (Rhovanion), and I think the crown emphasizes that. It is elegant, but also somewhat wild and pagan, and I think that is the intention.

In Reply To
... those Ringwraith crowns work fine because the Wraiths are evil and the design team established "spiky" as the evil design aesthetic.

I do believe the design team could have come up with a perfectly elegant yet different crown (not tiara) for Thranduil. Regardless, I do not see the point of a backward facing crown LOL.

Gah! The life of a geek is a hard one EvilSly

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Sep 1 2012, 6:15am

Post #166 of 176 (4221 views)
Shortcut
Pagan yes [In reply to] Can't Post

it fits in with the whole faerie, spirit of nature aspects of the mythology.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Sep 1 2012, 7:02am

Post #167 of 176 (4180 views)
Shortcut
Agreed, and in so doing connects it all the more to our own [In reply to] Can't Post

legends,which is should, as it is a tale of the ancient Earth, not a galaxy far away.

In Reply To
it fits in with the whole faerie, spirit of nature aspects of the mythology.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 1 2012, 7:08am

Post #168 of 176 (4149 views)
Shortcut
Exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

This is why I much prefer them to the rather uninspired tiaras sported by Elrond, Galadriel and Celeborn.

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Sep 1 2012, 12:43pm

Post #169 of 176 (4157 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for that link LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

Proof that buff 'brows are the new sexy! They certainly intensify his silver-blue eyes and royal gaze.

As for the backward-facing crown, I like it very much. It's unique w/o drifting into bizarro territory.

Like many others, I tend to fling myself at new images out of lust for any reveals from the movie. However, to a certain degree I reserve judgment. A picture is after all only worth a 1000 words and can to a certain degree fail to convey the intention of the design. The vision may truly work when fps, for which it was conceived.

stormcrow20
Gondor

Sep 2 2012, 8:33am

Post #170 of 176 (4161 views)
Shortcut
Thranduil! [In reply to] Can't Post

I like him so far. The crown is nice (though a bit large) and I like that it fits the head similar to Gil-galad's.

That image of the White Council is beautiful. I cannot wait to see them on screen together!

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 2 2012, 9:28am

Post #171 of 176 (4120 views)
Shortcut
Good spot - the front (around the ear) design is very similar / [In reply to] Can't Post

PattyJB
Rivendell

Sep 2 2012, 6:40pm

Post #172 of 176 (4109 views)
Shortcut
Very severe, autumnal look [In reply to] Can't Post

I am loving this look at Thranduil. I feel that this is his personification of autumn. The leaves on the crown remind me of those of the bald cypress of the southern US. It is a deciduous conifer, so the needles turn brown and fall every fall. The spiky bare branches of the crown and the icy, silvery (dare I say mithril-y) look of his clothes speak to me of the austere nature of late autumn. And the power that radiates from him is very much in keeping with my understanding of Thranduil as a very different, much more fae elf than those we have seen so far.

MysterioMaximus
The Shire

Sep 2 2012, 9:14pm

Post #173 of 176 (4081 views)
Shortcut
I'm not feeling it... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll be honest. Almost everything I've seen from the design team of The Hobbit films I've come to adore. But Thranduil is by and large...different. I just can't see this growing on me. I just, I'm trying to think of the most appropriate way of saying this. He looks less Elven King to me and more fairy princess, frankly. I'm just not feeling it. At all. I get that he's a king and that can mean ornate...but this is just effeminate. So I'm holding out that this isn't his definitive look or (assuming he's armored for the Battle of Five Armies) his war look. I do dig that sword though. But for me, king or not, celebration or not, this just doesn't reflect what I'd imagine Mirkwood attire, regal though he is, would be. I'd expect them to be less extravagant and more practical, you know, considering their wood is filled with giant spiders and a necromancer. But hey, who am I? ;]

(This post was edited by MysterioMaximus on Sep 2 2012, 9:15pm)

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Sep 2 2012, 10:47pm

Post #174 of 176 (4051 views)
Shortcut
Nah, I think [In reply to] Can't Post

it was a simple case of recycling. The tinfoil used to cook the crown roast of pork that became the royal headdress after dinner was repurposed into blingy parrrrrrtay! clothes. ;)

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 3 2012, 3:59am

Post #175 of 176 (4106 views)
Shortcut
What you find effeminate today [In reply to] Can't Post

May have been very masculine hundreds of years ago.

Just check out some of Henry VIII's outfits!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.