Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
!!- VANDERSTELT LICENSED FOTR LITHOGRAPHS - !! See the pic here

dutchart
The Shire

Oct 24 2007, 9:39pm

Post #1 of 24 (4825 views)
Shortcut
!!- VANDERSTELT LICENSED FOTR LITHOGRAPHS - !! See the pic here Can't Post

Hi everybody.
I am not an experienced blogger or forum-guy, so I hope it was not inappropriate to post this here in this section : ) .
As some of you may know, I aquired the license from New Line Cinema to create Limited Edition lithographs based on the trilogy, and right now, I've been given the go-ahead from NL to show the final image. This original painting will serve as the basis for these upcoming FOTR lithos. This first run of three should be on sale through my website on or before Christmas. I have more info over at my website : www.vandersteltstudio.com Take a peek!

Jerry Vanderstelt
www.vandersteltstudio.com

"A noble death is a treasure that no one is too poor to buy" - C.S. Lewis

Patty
Immortal

Oct 24 2007, 9:57pm

Post #2 of 24 (4318 views)
Shortcut
absolutely gorgeous! [In reply to] Can't Post

I had to smile at your use of the Two Towers music for your video, though! Um, I didn't see a price anywhere on your site???

For Gondor!

dutchart
The Shire

Oct 24 2007, 10:15pm

Post #3 of 24 (4333 views)
Shortcut
FOTR LITHOS [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, and thank you for your nice comments!
As far as the music to that first "teaser", although the music was from TTT, it seemed to fit what I was trying to convey emotionally with the imagery. ( You'll notice I went back to FOTR music for teaser two ; ) )
I will lay out a full explaination of things on my website once these lithos are up for sale. You asked about price, so I'll forward a note I sent to a newsletter group recently :

I have the artwork in the approval process, and plan to have a magazine ad running just after Christmas for the first installment of this LOTR litho series.
Before the magazine ad, I hope to have these lithographs ready on my Ebay store for purchase.
One bit of news: These lithographs will both be sized at 24 x 30 inches, limited with two Editions available: "Standard Edition", and "Collector's Edition".
What's the difference? The Standard Editions will be limited to 2000 units and will be hand-signed and numbered by me. Price: $95
The Collector's Editions will be limited to 2000 units and will be hand-signed and numbered by me along with a unique REMARQUE on each.These remarques will be hand-drawn on each litho, and will consist of various characters or scenery from that particular film. Price: $150
Both Editions will receive "white-glove" handling and packaging to assure the utmost care and handling of each litho. Along with 100 pound paper, both Editions will be utilizing "100 year" Archival inks, along with an aqueous coating as a sealer, printed on 120 line screen.
When all three litho runs ( FOTR, TTT, AND ROTK ) are done, then I will be offering a very limited number of "matching number sets" of very low numbers such as # 1 - # 20 . These are for the "Super Collectors" out there that really have to have that low number litho with matching #'s from FOTR , TTT, and ROTK .These highly-collectible pieces will be offered as bid-only items on my Ebay listings.

Thanks !

Jerry

Jerry Vanderstelt

deej
Tol Eressea

Oct 25 2007, 12:43am

Post #4 of 24 (4252 views)
Shortcut
I definitely need more wall space. [In reply to] Can't Post

That is so beautiful! Thanks for posting the information.

Sincerely, deej - The Artist Formerly Known as djdeathskiss

Mar
Gondor

Oct 25 2007, 1:02am

Post #5 of 24 (4213 views)
Shortcut
Wonderful website presentation [In reply to] Can't Post

That was exciting to see and hear.
Please keep us posted with updates.

I, for one, will optimistically embrace the idea that I may be able to purchase one....

Life isn't about finding yourself, it is about creating yourself.

flight852

Oct 25 2007, 1:06am

Post #6 of 24 (4310 views)
Shortcut
Litho's [In reply to] Can't Post

That print is amazing. I really hope I am able to buy one. I can't wait to see TTT and the ROTK litho already. Beautiful job.

The grey rain curtain of this world rolls
back and all turns to silver glass . . .
and then you see it . . .

dutchart
The Shire

Oct 25 2007, 1:07am

Post #7 of 24 (4258 views)
Shortcut
FOTR lithos [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks!

For fun, here are a couple of details pics.... these images are almost 100% to scale of the original painting. Take a look : )

Oops! I was trying to post the actual image without having to click on it.. didn't seem to work. Oh well. Click away!

Jerry Vanderstelt

(This post was edited by dutchart on Oct 25 2007, 1:10am)
Attachments: gauntlet.jpg (242 KB)
  Sauron-detail.jpg (268 KB)
  Strider-detail.jpg (243 KB)

Shadowfaxfan
Rivendell

Oct 25 2007, 2:09am

Post #8 of 24 (4285 views)
Shortcut
Well, I just picked my eyes back up off of the floor [In reply to] Can't Post

as they were rolling around down there after they popped out of my head from my first glance at your painting. Your paintings remind me of Leslie Harrison's horses, you both paint so true to life it takes a minute to distinguish it from a photo, oh, and then there is Daniel Reeve's "Onions and Knife". In my opinion art doesn't get any better than this, thank you for posting such a treat.

I noticed in your bio that you mentioned the "Areoflash" acrylics, are the higher quality paints easier to work with and blend or do they just have a better quality lifeage? I was also wondering if you went to art school or are self taught and if so where did you learn about the quality of paints? I have not had much luck in Barnes and Noble finding a book on materials, they all want to teach drawing! I could ask a million questions.

My version of heaven would be to ride a horse through a different landscape the first half of each day and to roam great halls full of art the second half of each day.
Best wishes, Karen

A myth is far truer than a history, for a history only gives a story of the shadows, whereas a myth gives a story of the substances that cast the shadows.~Annie Besant
Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion. It seizes a person whole, and once it has done so, he will have to accept that his life will be radically changed. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Oct 25 2007, 3:35am

Post #9 of 24 (4252 views)
Shortcut
Wow, that's got everything but the kitchen sink! [In reply to] Can't Post

All the characters and iconic images I mean. It's beautiful! Video is too big for my computer screen though.

I hope you licensed the music too?

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 25 2007, 9:05am

Post #10 of 24 (4307 views)
Shortcut
Geez! This is staggering... [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember when you stopped by not long ago and shared with us. I'm SO excited... this is absolutely beautiful!

I wish there was a pre-order option, because I'd definitely put my name on your list!!

I'm fascinated with the image representing each character. Your choices are so iconic and some of the best I've seen. I'm especially caught by your choice for Arwen. Most representative pics are of her strength and defiance after the Ford, etc. Yours shows the burden of her choice and her sadness. She's stunning.

I like your choice for Frodo, too. Sauron is more predominant than usually seen.

This is gorgeous, sir. Thank you so much for bringing another emotion and stunning piece of the story to life for us. I hope there's enough of these to go around :)

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

My DragonCon 07 Report

dutchart
The Shire

Oct 25 2007, 9:37am

Post #11 of 24 (4212 views)
Shortcut
FOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you Karen; very kind.

Yes, the Aeroflash paints are better all around as far as workability, blending ,etc.
You asked about art school, and I wish I could have, but I've actually had no "formal" training, but I always try to glean as much from other artists as possible. I believe dick blick art supplies sells the Aeroflash paints if you want to try it out : )

Jerry Vanderstelt

dutchart
The Shire

Oct 25 2007, 9:41am

Post #12 of 24 (4155 views)
Shortcut

Hi Smea-girl- Thanks!

Jerry Vanderstelt

dutchart
The Shire

Oct 25 2007, 9:46am

Post #13 of 24 (4233 views)
Shortcut

Hi "gramma", thank you for sharing your thoughts about this; it's encouraging to see you pick up on the mood I was attempting in this painting!

Jerry Vanderstelt

FantasyFan
Rohan

Oct 25 2007, 11:32am

Post #14 of 24 (4225 views)
Shortcut
Beautiful and interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

There's a tremendous amount of detail here, and the huge amount of work you've put into this shows. I especially like the curled up sides. And an interesting choice to use cirth runes with the ringspell on the top and bottom borders. Normally you don't see that in Cirth runes, but rather in the Tengwar lettering like on the ring.

"That is one thing that Men call 'hope.' Amdir we call it, 'looking up.' But there is another which is founded deeper. Estel we call it, that is 'trust.' It is not defeated by the ways of the world, for it does not come from experience, but from our nature and First Being. If we are indeed the Eruhin, the Children of the One, then He will not suffer Himself to be deprived of His own, not by any enemy, not even by ourselves. This is the last foundation of estel, which we keep even when we contemplate the End. Of all His designs the issue must be for His children's joy."
Finrod, Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth, HoME X Morgoth's Ring

dutchart
The Shire

Oct 25 2007, 9:55pm

Post #15 of 24 (4174 views)
Shortcut
Runes! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello, and thanks a lot : )

I'm no expert, but according to FOTR, I believe the runes above and below the map are Faenorian runes, the same runes that Gandalf used to label his fireworks, and the same rune he used on Weathertop as a sign to Aragorn. I happen to have a translation for the runes; and I actually created a message on the top and bottom of the map. Can anyone guess what it says? I've always wanted to see how long it took a real Tolkien follower to pick up on this.

Jerry Vanderstelt

Elven
Valinor

Oct 26 2007, 1:59am

Post #16 of 24 (4180 views)
Shortcut
Whoa! [In reply to] Can't Post

Beautiful! Stunning! Wonderful!
Im in awe!

Thankyou for the link also.
WOW!!

The Road Goes Ever On and On ...
Happy 70th Birthday to The Hobbit!!

Tolkien was a Capricorn!
..*sing & sway* "All we are saying ..Is Give Pete A Chance" ...
"Your friends are with you Peter"
Let the Hobbit Happen!!!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 26 2007, 3:01am

Post #17 of 24 (4185 views)
Shortcut
No guessing needed to translate those runes! [In reply to] Can't Post

They look most familiar! Smile

With the hidden cirth in parenthesis, along the top it reads:
ONE RING TO RULE TH(EM A)LL ONE (R)ING TO FIND THEM ONE

and along the bottom:
(RIN)G TO BRING THEM (ALL AND IN THE) DARKNESS BIND THEM

That does add a nice touch! And I especially like how Gimli's axe is raised towards striking at the Ring and Legolas' arrow is aimed toward it, while Sauron's hand reaches out for it, and Saruman is contained within the Dark Lord's outline - and the Balrog bursts out of Moria. Excellent work!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

dutchart
The Shire

Oct 27 2007, 3:29pm

Post #18 of 24 (4132 views)
Shortcut
Balrog Detail shot [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi again.

I enjoy being able to now give out some fun details of this piece, so here's another one. On a side note, I went to my pressman Thursday and should be seeing a first proof by Monday. The press guys know I'm real fussy about color accuracy, but hey, this is Lord of the Rings!

Jerry

Jerry Vanderstelt

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 30 2007, 1:43pm

Post #19 of 24 (4112 views)
Shortcut
Love it! [In reply to] Can't Post

Those details impress how the Balrog is like a lava-creature: the fire underneath the darkened and "cooler" outer layer. Perfect!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

dutchart
The Shire

Oct 30 2007, 2:44pm

Post #20 of 24 (4141 views)
Shortcut
Balrog [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, Mr. Balrog... He was my biggest concern, actually. When it came to painting the fire / mane, there was a real danger of making or breaking this painting based on the success or failure of getting the fire coloring correct, not to mention the hot cracking lava effect you mentioned. I was amazed how much grey / greens I had to add to the yellow flames to get the color combination I wanted.

Jerry Vanderstelt

Patty
Immortal

Oct 30 2007, 3:46pm

Post #21 of 24 (4140 views)
Shortcut
Oh, great... [In reply to] Can't Post

with this close-up I can tell better that the Balrog is holding that whip. I couldn't see his hand at first, although I knew it must be he that was holding it.

For Gondor!

dutchart
The Shire

Nov 16 2007, 4:32am

Post #22 of 24 (4116 views)
Shortcut
FOTR LITHOGRAPH RELEASE DATE [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi everyone.

I wrote my little newsletter group the news that I plan to release the FOTR lithograph ( both Standard and Collectors Editions ) on Dec. 1 if all goes well. The lithos themselves are all ready to go, I just have to make some preparations of my own before this date :)
If anyone wishes to purchase a litho, you will simply go to my website and follow the appropriate buttons that will ink you directly into my Ebay store. Each litho will be shipped inside a clear blueprint bag, which goes inside a very heavy duty 4 inch shipping tube made by Yazoo Mills;The best tube in the industry. Soft tissue paper on each side of the tube will keep the lithos from moving during transit. I want each litho to arrive safely and this is the best way to do it!
Talk soon,

Jerry

Jerry Vanderstelt

dutchart
The Shire

Nov 17 2007, 5:10pm

Post #23 of 24 (4118 views)
Shortcut
FOTR LITHO release date [In reply to] Can't Post

I just made it known to my newsletter group that I plan to move the release date to Wednesday, Nov. 21 sometime in the afternoon. I hope this works for everyone. Thanks again!
I thought this will work better for most everyone. I hope it does!

Jerry

Jerry Vanderstelt

dutchart
The Shire

Nov 21 2007, 2:52am

Post #24 of 24 (4275 views)
Shortcut
Vanderstelt's remarques [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi everyone. Tommorrow morning the lithos will be up and running. The Standard Editions will be listed in quantities of around 200 at a time. This does not mean that's all I have left, it just makes things more managable for me.

An important note about the remarques that I will have in my listing: The Collector Editions are limited to 2000, but they take time to create, because each and every remarque is HAND-DRAWN. Because of this,I will list them in my store in small quantites at a time. As I am able to create more, I will then re-list additional available quantites, and continue signing and numbering in order from lowest on.
As mentioned elsewhere, the earlier you buy the lower the number you will get : ) I will always begin numbering from where I left off. In the event these remarqued editions near the available limit of 2000, I will be sure to inform prospective buyers when the last listing is posted.

I hope this helps explain what my intentions are. Thanks everyone!

Jerry

PS- look for some news on the main page about the lithos -should be pretty soon!

Jerry Vanderstelt

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.