Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
*Checks bar and buffet and opens doors* It's Fiesta Friday!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Aug 31 2012, 3:59pm

Post #1 of 27 (253 views)
Shortcut
*Checks bar and buffet and opens doors* It's Fiesta Friday! Can't Post

Well, here we are again at the end of what I hope was a fantastic week for everyone. U.S. TORnadoes are heading into our 3-day Labor Day weekend, so there will be camping and picnics galore. BG and I will probably work in the yard and take in a movie, so we'd welcome recommendations (about the movie, not the yard Laugh) regarding anything that's been released in the last few weeks.

There's yet another fire that's burning just south of the Wyoming border. It's only 130 acres and is supposed to be contained later today, but you'd think half the state was burning for the dense smoke and haze in the area today. *cough, cough* Hopefully it will clear up in time for the weekend!

*kicks juke box* "Vacation" by the Go-Gos starts to play.

Have a happy, safe, fun weekend, everyone! CoolSmileHeart

p.s. I have to run to a meeting, so this will be a drive-by Fiesta for me. Feel free to serve a few to your fellow Fiesta-ers and I'll look in later!

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 31 2012, 4:14pm

Post #2 of 27 (89 views)
Shortcut
Hi Altaira! [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh no, not another fire! Unsure Are you still in drought conditions?

I'll just grab some coffee to go, can't stay long either.

It's going to be pleasantly sunny in New England, so Monday I'm going to meet up with my 90-year-old Dad at a country fair that's halfway between our homes, and we'll wander around for a couple of hours, enjoying the animals and crafts, and I expect he'll give me lots of stories on how the old equipment there would be used (as he grew up on a farm) - he loves to talk about it!

One of the newer attractions there is a "birthing" area: they bring in cows that are about to give birth, and hopefully the "city slicker" kids will be able to witness a calf being born! Cool

I hope you have fine weather for the yardwork, Altaira! Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Aug 31 2012, 4:18pm

Post #3 of 27 (90 views)
Shortcut
Have a good weekend! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope the fires clear up very quickly, Altaira, and that you and BG can spend some quality time both in your yard and in a movie theater. Although I'm afraid I have no movie recommendations. There's nothing on right now that sounds appealing. I am anticipating this little flick titled The Hobbit, later this year Cool

I'm anticipating a very quiet weekend here at my keyboard and don't even plan to leave the house. So I'll grab a quick frappuccino, for fuel, and get back to it.

Cheers!

Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Aug 31 2012, 4:20pm

Post #4 of 27 (82 views)
Shortcut
At least I remembered it is Friday [In reply to] Can't Post

So often I forget until it's way too late for Fiesta! I've been looking after the place and the g'son since Mr E went to Tennessee last week -- he's a huge NASCAR fan and went to the Bristol race, came home for one day and then went back to the States for another race. I think he might want to start going to more races now that he's made the jump from TV to real time. I don't mind, he can indulge himself that way all he wants. Day care was shut down for August so I've had the g'son every day, hard to keep him occupied all the time. I'll be glad when school starts next week, then I can go back to doing what I want to do! Weather's still nice but it is cooling down and quite chilly at night, especially without a warm body to put my cold feet on.

Happy weekend, everyone!

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Aug 31 2012, 4:21pm

Post #5 of 27 (81 views)
Shortcut
A county fair sounds like fun [In reply to] Can't Post

They're gearing up for the State Fair of Texas over in Dallas by holding fried-food contests Shocked One of the finalists this year is fried cactus. Okaaay.

I hope a calf arrives on schedule! Have a great weekend Smile

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 31 2012, 4:24pm

Post #6 of 27 (89 views)
Shortcut
Our turn last week, your turn this week [In reply to] Can't Post

3-day weekend I mean Cool Stay safe Altaira, and hope they can control that fire. Are the temperatures still not being kind for you guys in the US?

It's been a relatively slow (almost boring) week for me, and by the looks of it, so will the weekend. Though ... I did have an eventful Tuesday. Since it was a 3-day weekend (4 for me, because of my "privilige day") I had turned by computer off at work on the previous Thursday evening. When I turned it on early Tuesday morning there was a loud noice and a crackle. Then nothing. I thought the hard-drive had gone ... I save everything to my desktop (I'm too lazy to back it up), so I had a horrible sinking feeling in my stomach. The IT guys weren't in for another couple of hours, so I sat at work reading until someone could come and fix it. Luckily, it was just an electrical fault, so no harm done. I can tell you now though, everything on that PC is backed up!

Anyway, everybody seems to be away apart from us this weekend, so I won't be visiting anyone! That's probably a bonus though, since Doctor Who starts tomorrow!

Have a great weekend everyone, whatever you get up to Smile

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Aug 31 2012, 4:28pm

Post #7 of 27 (92 views)
Shortcut
Posting from South Dakota! :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, we made it here safely and will be heading out to the first day of the (free!) festival this afternoon. Can't wait! :)

*gets a Summer Usual*

Hope you all have a safe and fun weekend, too! :)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Eventides' Website: ListenUpReviews.com - Rockin' Choices In Entertainment!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"I stepped out of my body to let God slide in; although I'm still dressed in flesh that I spiritually died in. Alive in Christ a new creation started breathin', Life exists and through this came completion. ... I'm not that person anymore (more!)! That's what blood was shed for! No longer a failure, livin' life more abundantly, therefore you'll never see me livin' less than victory."
John Reuben.

"Desperation, needing You; every last breath I scream for You. Shatter me into a million pieces, make me new. ... Break me, mold me, make me what You want me to be; I am Yours, for You to use, so take and replace me with You."
Family Force 5.

"Under a light in Bethlehem, I was sifting through the sand; the saline burned my eyes, I was looking for Your hand. I gave up on myself, and left my pride disarmed; I cried out 'I'm alone!' and found myself in Your arms. 'Rest in Me, oh, My love; I have loved you before the world began. Rest in Me, oh, My love; you'll never wander too far to reach My hand.'"
Showbread.

(This post was edited by Eventides on Aug 31 2012, 4:31pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 31 2012, 4:28pm

Post #8 of 27 (74 views)
Shortcut
Fried cactus? [In reply to] Can't Post

As long as they don't leave the pricklies on! (I've heard that the cactus innards are quite succulent! Wink)

Up here it is said that one can find fried pop-tarts...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 31 2012, 4:30pm

Post #9 of 27 (77 views)
Shortcut
You've reminded me! [In reply to] Can't Post

Their is a woodwork fair just down the road this weekend. That's my day sorted! Laugh

Sounds like you will have a nice weekend dernwyn. Enjoy, and do let us know if you see any calves being born. Smile

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 31 2012, 4:50pm

Post #10 of 27 (84 views)
Shortcut
So much to do, so little time! [In reply to] Can't Post

Howdy Altaira and all! *sneaks pink lemonade from fridge*

I just got out of a meeting and am heading off to another one! Don't these people understand the importance of lunch breaks ;) It's all good, though. Nice folks all around.

I was hoping to spend time at Mom's this weekend, but I've got a new project that the time I thought I had to work on it has been skewered daily.... so it's stay home and plow! I love what I'm working on, though... so, again, it's all good! With the spike in gasoline prices, this is really turning out to be a good thing. I'll just be sure to take a day off and hang out with Mom VERY soon!

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend, and that our friends in the line of hurricanes, flooding, fire, or bad weather of all sorts stay safe and come through it all unscathed!

*hugs to all*

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 31 2012, 4:52pm

Post #11 of 27 (79 views)
Shortcut
I just [In reply to] Can't Post

recently had my first taste of batter/fried green beans. Don't laugh... they were AWESOME! Dipped in a honey mustard,... yummmmmm. Lone Star Restaurant, folks. That and their fried onion. *slaver slurp*

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

Unused Scenes

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Aug 31 2012, 4:53pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 31 2012, 4:55pm

Post #12 of 27 (75 views)
Shortcut
Good for you :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad you're able to get you Dad out to the fair. My Mom's a bit difficulty to coax out to something like that... so I'm rooting for you all to have a wonderful, beautiful summer day at the fair.

I hope you have fun at the fair and that the weather is fair, too :)

sample

Unused Scenes

RosieLass
Valinor

Aug 31 2012, 4:55pm

Post #13 of 27 (109 views)
Shortcut
I woke up with a headache and a bad temper. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I feel better now.

The Excedrin fixed the headache, and a glowing annual review (and some Cute Overload) helped the mood.

I'm still fed up to here with all the political BS going around, though. I wish my life came with a filter that I could program to block all occurrences of "Obama," "Romney," "Democrat," "Republican," and "election 2012." Tongue

We're in the middle of bathroom renovations. My sister's bathroom is complete and it looks great. The contractor will be back in a few days to start mine. It'll be nice to have it finished and to have a nice, clean bathroom for the first time since I tore the carpet up about five years ago.

Also, I've been feeling actual hunger the last couple days. That's huge. With my tummy issues, I haven't had any appetite in a long time. So feeling hungry means that something is getting better. Yay!

"BOTH [political] extremes are dangerous. But more dangerous are team fanboys who think all the extremists are on the OTHER side." (CNN reader comment)

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 31 2012, 4:57pm

Post #14 of 27 (98 views)
Shortcut
*snigger* I've been saving my pennies [In reply to] Can't Post

for The Hobbit viewings since forever! I can't wait!! *twitch* Although, I would like to go see the new Bourne movie before it disappears... and the Expendables...

I hope you have a wonderful, relaxing weekend, m'dear!! :D

sample

Unused Scenes

RosieLass
Valinor

Aug 31 2012, 5:00pm

Post #15 of 27 (75 views)
Shortcut
Heh! Just have 'em watch a few episodes of "All Creatures Great and Small." [In reply to] Can't Post

If I had been squeamish about animal births and what veterinarians do, that show would have cured it in a hurry. Cool

"BOTH [political] extremes are dangerous. But more dangerous are team fanboys who think all the extremists are on the OTHER side." (CNN reader comment)

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 31 2012, 5:00pm

Post #16 of 27 (77 views)
Shortcut
I love it when the nights are cool :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Leave a few windows open to air the Old Bag's End out and cover up clean to my chin! Ahhhhh.... that's better :)

It's a challenge to have kids (or interruptions from our routines) for a long stretch. When we would come to visit with little ones, my Mom alway said, "It's nice to seem them come, but it's nicer to see them go." I know what she means now ;) NOT that we don't want the g'kiddies around... just (as with everthing worthwhile) in moderation ;)

Have a GREAT weekend!

sample

Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 31 2012, 5:04pm

Post #17 of 27 (76 views)
Shortcut
Whoa! Close Call! [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh cripes, that's such a scary feeling! I went out and got an 2 terabyte external hard drive (for around $100) that has EVERYTHING from my computer at home AND at work backed up. Music, pictures, files, everything! It's a pain to save things in 2-3 places every time I do something (i.e. TIME/Walk to Rivendell/etc.), but when the 'puter is on the blink, I thank my lucky stars!

I hope you have a very quiet and peaceful weekend :) CHEERS!

sample

Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 31 2012, 5:05pm

Post #18 of 27 (69 views)
Shortcut
How Fun!! [In reply to] Can't Post

One last summer-time adventure, eh? I hope you have a wonderful time, Evey!! :)

sample

Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 31 2012, 5:07pm

Post #19 of 27 (86 views)
Shortcut
Rumbly Tummy!? Great :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh I really do hope that means your issues are behind you! Except the carpet and politics. That causes a rumbly that I won't go into right now ;)

I hope you have a wonderful weekend, m'dear!

sample

Unused Scenes

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Aug 31 2012, 5:15pm

Post #20 of 27 (75 views)
Shortcut
I suspect... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that the Texas fry-everything cuisine originated at a chuck wagon or campfire, when the only cooking implement you had was a skillet of bacon grease. And you knew that the next day you'd be doing such hard physical labor, bacon grease was a very good thing!

You too, have a great weekend, gramma! (And keep saving those pennies Wink )

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 31 2012, 5:24pm

Post #21 of 27 (69 views)
Shortcut
Send him over to mine after you! [In reply to] Can't Post

Still bathroomless ...

Have a great weekend RosieLass Smile

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 31 2012, 5:33pm

Post #22 of 27 (80 views)
Shortcut
You too, gramma :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

There's a network drive at work where we can all save stuff on to. That drive is backed-up 3 times a day, and also backed-up onto another network drive. That will have to do for the time being until I can get hold of an external hard drive.

I hope your afternoon meeting goes quickly, and that you have a lovely weekend. Enjoy Smile

Patty
Immortal

Aug 31 2012, 6:16pm

Post #23 of 27 (57 views)
Shortcut
Howdy, howdy! Happy weekend, all./ [In reply to] Can't Post

Permanent address: Into the West

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Aug 31 2012, 7:38pm

Post #24 of 27 (65 views)
Shortcut
A busy day ahead. [In reply to] Can't Post

We finally have a sunny Saturday so I'll be getting into the garden as much as possible today, then tonight I'm off to the rugby stadium to watch Taranaki defend the Ranfurly Shield.

Tomorrow will be quieter!

Have a great weekend everyone. :)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

sherlock
Gondor

Sep 1 2012, 10:10am

Post #25 of 27 (53 views)
Shortcut
Way too busy at work yesterday [In reply to] Can't Post

so I'm checking in today. I was off work for two weeks having fun with my granddaughter so it was a tough transition going back to work! I plan to catch up on chores around the house & maybe attend the Pops in the Park concert tomorrow evening if the weather allows.

Have a great weekend all!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.