Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
A question

Hamfast Gamgee
Gondor

Aug 30 2012, 9:36pm

Post #1 of 8 (388 views)
Shortcut
A question Can't Post

In th ROTK at the last debate, Gandalf was so very sure tut Sauron with the Ring would be unbeatable. This was Gandalf when he was the White. In fact he said that Sauron with the Rimg could read their very thoughts and all that they could do would be ruinous. All very well. But if Sauron with the Ring could read their very thought, why couldn't he do se at the time of the last,alliance and how was the last alliance able to defeat a Sauron with the Ring?

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Aug 30 2012, 9:42pm

Post #2 of 8 (144 views)
Shortcut
Magic // [In reply to] Can't Post

No, there's no text. That's actually my answer.

Elizabeth
Valinor

Aug 31 2012, 12:34am

Post #3 of 8 (165 views)
Shortcut
The Last Alliance was hardly a stealth operation. [In reply to] Can't Post

It was a major assault with a huge army. How much mind reading does that take?

Join us NOW in the Reading Room for detailed discussions of The Hobbit, July 9-Nov. 18!

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

Zubeneschamali
The Shire

Aug 31 2012, 8:41am

Post #4 of 8 (140 views)
Shortcut
No more heroes [In reply to] Can't Post

At the time of the Last Alliance, the actual men of Numenor were walking the Earth, and there were still armies of Elves. Elendil looked like Aragorn, but seven and a half feet tall. They were giants, heroes, unstoppable forces. They kicked Sauron's ass.

3000 years later, that's all history. At the end of the 3rd age, the Elves had been leaving for thousands of years, and only a few High Elves were left with the remaining wood-elves. The kingdom of Arnor was gone almost without trace, and the men of Gondor were mostly ordinary non-heroic people like us.

If Sauron wasn't such a big chicken, and had sent out his full forces after he learned what Gollum knew, he'd have conquered middle-earth without the Ring. With the Ring, he could have done it by himself.

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Aug 31 2012, 1:15pm

Post #5 of 8 (128 views)
Shortcut
He was more interested in reading the thoughts of [In reply to] Can't Post

hot Numenorian coeds. Tongue

And suddenly the Tornadoes saw afar off a greenlight, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame;
and they knew that this was no vision only, but that PJ had made a new thing: The Hobbit, the Film that Is.

elevorn
Lorien

Aug 31 2012, 6:35pm

Post #6 of 8 (106 views)
Shortcut
indeed [In reply to] Can't Post

As I assume most creepy bad guys would be given the ability to also control them.

"clever hobbits to climb so high!"
Check out my writing www.jdstudios.wordpress.com

Sam20
Lorien

Sep 1 2012, 6:14pm

Post #7 of 8 (113 views)
Shortcut
Sauron [In reply to] Can't Post

The Last Alliance of Elves and Men overthrew Sauron and his armies. He couldn't stop the overwhelming assault. But no such strong alliance was possible in the third age... Elves were few and the kingdom of Gondor and Arnor but a shadow of his former majesty. If Sauron had got hold of the Ring all was lost and all that they do in vain.

(This post was edited by sam90 on Sep 1 2012, 6:18pm)

dreamflower
Lorien

Sep 5 2012, 10:29pm

Post #8 of 8 (76 views)
Shortcut
I always assumed it was the Three [In reply to] Can't Post

I always assumed that if Sauron got his hands on the One, the bearers of the Three would be revealed to him, and he'd know what they were thinking so long as they had them on-- and it's clear that all three of them were wielding their Rings during the Quest--I suppose if they had a hint that it was about to fall into his hands, they'd take them off-- but they mightn't have had enough warning. After all, the One was finished, and Celebrimbor was only warned by Sauron's verse (which I would assume was needed to activate it).

And if he could read the minds of Gandalf, Galadriel and Elrond, well all their plans would be revealed!

ETA: During the Last Alliance, no one was wearing the Three, because they knew Sauron had the One.

(This post was edited by dreamflower on Sep 5 2012, 10:30pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.