Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
First pictures of Thranduil and the White Council SPOILER!!!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 30 2012, 8:19pm

Post #101 of 176 (4536 views)
Shortcut
Lots more spoilers [In reply to] Can't Post

I imagine. If they have pictures of Thranduil, there must be plenty more spoilers - Beorn, Radagast, spiders, Dol Guldur, Goblin King etc ...

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Aug 30 2012, 8:28pm)

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Aug 30 2012, 8:21pm

Post #102 of 176 (4592 views)
Shortcut
Maybe they decided to follow Tolkien's description or something crazy like that. [In reply to] Can't Post

Inside the passages were lit with red torch-light, and the elf-guards sang as they marched along the twisting, crossing, and echoing paths. These were not like those of the goblin-cities: they were smaller, less deep underground, and filled with a cleaner air. In a great hall with pillars hewn out of the living stone sat the Elvenking on a chair of carven wood. On his head was a crown of berries and red leaves, for the autumn was come again. In the spring he wore a crown of woodland flowers. In his hand he held a carven staff of oak.

Setting aside the issue of faithfulness to the text, I'm satisfied (if not quite ecstatic) with how Thranduil looks. I would have liked him to have some more distinguishing features (I fear he'll forever be remembered as 'the guy with the leaves and the eyebrows'), but you can't win them all. On the bright side, there seem to be no real problems with the design – it's quite solid. I don't really see the Prince Nuada similarities people keep mentioning – to me Thranduil seems very much consistent with Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings Elves.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Aug 30 2012, 8:21pm

Post #103 of 176 (4583 views)
Shortcut
Do you think it's a robe, or a finely woven chain mail suit? [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems to have panels in the front that remind me of the Prologue Elves' armour.

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on 0 secs ago)

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Aug 30 2012, 8:22pm

Post #104 of 176 (4556 views)
Shortcut
WHSmith have it on their site... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll see if they have it in store tomorrow morning and have a shufty.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Aug 30 2012, 8:25pm

Post #105 of 176 (4511 views)
Shortcut
The state of uberfandom [In reply to] Can't Post

It's telling that most of us haven't managed to see a copy of this thing yet. Our butts are still broke from LOTR days Laugh

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on 0 secs ago)

Escapist
Gondor

Post #106 of 176 (4481 views)
Shortcut
Mithrill maybe?// [In reply to] Can't Post

Nightwing
Bree

Post #107 of 176 (4582 views)
Shortcut
Thranduil's sword - made of galvorn? [In reply to] Can't Post

Perhaps it's an old Sindar relic from Doriath?

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 30 2012, 8:26pm

Post #108 of 176 (4511 views)
Shortcut
Do let us know, please. [In reply to] Can't Post

And I went past one today. Unsure If they do and it's worth getting, I'll go again tomorrow. Smile

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Aug 30 2012, 8:30pm)

Bexlin
Rivendell

Aug 30 2012, 8:27pm

Post #109 of 176 (4579 views)
Shortcut
No other characters revealed. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a children's activity book filled with puzzles, mazes and word searches etc. nothing much new.

(This post was edited by Bexlin on Aug 30 2012, 8:32pm)

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Aug 30 2012, 8:56pm

Post #110 of 176 (4530 views)
Shortcut
Thranduil looks truly magnificent! [In reply to] Can't Post

The Council looks a wee bit short on membership, however. lol. Really love the stylings they have chosen for Thranduil.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Aug 30 2012, 8:57pm

Post #111 of 176 (4503 views)
Shortcut
Also pale silver should look really beautiful in the dark of Mirkwood [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a great design decision imo, and suits nicely Legolas' LotR outfits (the silver shirt and the silver robes you mentioned.)

But every word you say today
Gets twisted 'round some other way
And they'll hurt you if they think you've lied

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Aug 30 2012, 9:03pm

Post #112 of 176 (4489 views)
Shortcut
Could well be from Doriath [In reply to] Can't Post

Now I'm hoping the Doriath connection gets hinted in some way, any way.

Gahh, just seein concept art of his Halls is making me feel funny things. Firstly, it's his Halls. Secondly, they're sending so many Esgaroth vibes I can't even...

But every word you say today
Gets twisted 'round some other way
And they'll hurt you if they think you've lied

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Aug 30 2012, 9:03pm

Post #113 of 176 (4464 views)
Shortcut
Also, glittery things look great in HD. So he should really pop in 4K // [In reply to] Can't Post

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Aug 30 2012, 9:04pm)

Tim
Tol Eressea

Aug 30 2012, 9:12pm

Post #114 of 176 (4462 views)
Shortcut
Thranduil [In reply to] Can't Post

He looks pretty much as I imagined him or as I imagined PJ may bring him to life.

Gotta say I'm kinda happy about that.

Laugh

King Arthur: You know much that is hidden oh Tim.

Tim: Quite.

Apexman13
Bree

Aug 30 2012, 9:27pm

Post #115 of 176 (4530 views)
Shortcut
Oh the crown... [In reply to] Can't Post

Incredibly risky.. Looks rather goofy, perhaps because its so tall? His sword on the other hand looks fantastic!

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Aug 30 2012, 9:50pm

Post #116 of 176 (4430 views)
Shortcut
The crown is excellent [In reply to] Can't Post

It's the disco silver that seems a bit iffy...

Maybe that's a fault of the lighting, and it will look much different on screen?

TheSexyBeard
Lorien

Aug 30 2012, 9:50pm

Post #117 of 176 (4420 views)
Shortcut
Quite cool [In reply to] Can't Post

My first thought was that he had really obvious eyebrows, they stick out like a sore thumb. My second thought about Lee Pace as Thranduil was how Del Toro-esque the crown was, and it seems quite a few people also feel Thranduil's design has hints of Del Toro in it. Overall though I feel Lee Pace certainly looks part and I'm sure he'll do a good job of bringing this Eleven King to life.

Quite interesting how his sword just merges into the handle, there doesn't seem to be any visible joins.

Yes, my username is terrible.

Carne
Tol Eressea

Aug 30 2012, 9:52pm

Post #118 of 176 (4424 views)
Shortcut
It will definitely look darker. [In reply to] Can't Post

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Aug 30 2012, 9:53pm

Post #119 of 176 (4356 views)
Shortcut
Four people [In reply to] Can't Post

Is barely worthy of the term "Council," though... Would have given the scene a bit more color to have Cirdan and Glorfindel, even if they didn't say much...

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Aug 30 2012, 9:54pm

Post #120 of 176 (4390 views)
Shortcut
love your enthusiasm [In reply to] Can't Post

"feel funny things" ? Sly

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Aug 30 2012, 9:57pm

Post #121 of 176 (4428 views)
Shortcut
Crazy head-dresses [In reply to] Can't Post

Have been rather common for royalty throughout history. So, I don't think it's goofy at all.

In fact, I don't think it's tall enough! Would have been great to have some really outsized, three-foot tall crown or something.

Not sure that this is definitely GDT, though. I mean, PJ did give us an orc with a skull on top of its helmet in ROTK, and a Witch-King with a very creative and non-traditional helmet.

Love it, though. My guess is that the silvery costume will be muted on screen.

(This post was edited by Shelob'sAppetite on Aug 30 2012, 9:58pm)

AlatarielNoldo
Bree

Aug 30 2012, 9:58pm

Post #122 of 176 (4397 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps [In reply to] Can't Post

It could certainly explain the black color to the sword. Can't wait until there are better pictures of it. It looks like the blade fades to silver at the tip.

But in Lindon Gil-Galad still maintained his power, and Sauron dared not as yet to pass the Mountains of Ered Luin nor to assail the Havens.

[The Silmarillion: Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age]

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 30 2012, 10:03pm

Post #123 of 176 (4362 views)
Shortcut
I see the similarity in the pale, long, chiselled cheeks. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Aug 30 2012, 10:05pm

Post #124 of 176 (4326 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the crown. I'd prefer a bit more colour, maybe some golden leaves and some red berries - it looks more wintry than autumnal to me, but I like it. The silver just seems too unnatural. It doesn't look as bad when you put it next to Legolas' coronation clothes, though.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Aug 30 2012, 10:07pm

Post #125 of 176 (4382 views)
Shortcut
Glad to see I am not the only one missing Cirdan, Glorfindel and the other Lords of The Eldar [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe this is just a pre-meeting of the council's most deeply involved members, meeting privately ere alarming the entire council with talk of war. I hope that is the case. I love these four. They are an impressive quartet, but they make a rather underwhelming Council. A handful of other Elves would round things out nicely, even if they don't do much speaking, and certainly Cirdan and the too much omitted of olde Glorfindel should have a place amongst their number.

In Reply To
Is it allready confirmed that the Council will only consist of those four?

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.