The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Scenes From The Hat

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Aug 30 2012, 3:35pm

Post #1 of 16 (853 views)
Shortcut
Scenes From The Hat Can't Post

Greeting and salutatorians, my dear TORnfolk, and welcome to another edition of SFTH. I am your lovely and talented Mistress of the Hat. For today's back-to-school edition,

Where did people of Middle Earth go to college? And did they graduate? Invisible bonus points for telling us their majors!

Remember your // for subject-only posts for us threaded readers, and PM me with your fabulous suggestions for a future SFTH!

And suddenly the Tornadoes saw afar off a greenlight, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame;
and they knew that this was no vision only, but that PJ had made a new thing: The Hobbit, the Film that Is.

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 30 2012, 3:48pm

Post #2 of 16 (641 views)
Shortcut
The Necromancer went to the University of Baltimore [In reply to] Can't Post

Just to study their zombie course.

And all Hobbits study Brewing and Distilling at Heriot Watt University (Edinburgh) Laugh

Delrond
Rohan

Aug 30 2012, 3:54pm

Post #3 of 16 (710 views)
Shortcut
For peats sake. [In reply to] Can't Post

Amon Soil U. It took a while, like sand through the hourglass, but yes. Loam-sharking, claymation and silt screening.

A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

TomthePilgrim
Rohan

Aug 30 2012, 3:55pm

Post #4 of 16 (632 views)
Shortcut
Legolas studied at Wake Forest . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

. . . but he was a party boy. After seven years he finally acquired a degree in PhysEd, minor in Pottery Making.

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began
Now far ahead the Road has gone
And I must follow, if I can

"Thorin sat up with a start. 'Something is not right,' he muttered to himself as he stood up and
looked towards the mirror . . . . . . . . . 'Durin's bones', he gasped, 'what's happened to my beard?'"

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Aug 30 2012, 4:13pm

Post #5 of 16 (649 views)
Shortcut
*fwap!* [In reply to] Can't Post

You, sir, have a dirty mind. I dig it. Tongue

And suddenly the Tornadoes saw afar off a greenlight, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame;
and they knew that this was no vision only, but that PJ had made a new thing: The Hobbit, the Film that Is.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 30 2012, 4:20pm

Post #6 of 16 (614 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf gratuated from Hogwarts with a Masters in Explosives Engineering // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Bombadil
Half-elven

Aug 30 2012, 4:35pm

Post #7 of 16 (643 views)
Shortcut
Most of the Dwraves belonged to a legendary Fraternity @ [In reply to] Can't Post

The Colorado School of Mines.
In Golden Colorado
(Actual accredited College)

just south of The Coors Brewery
where they each...developed a taste for
the Finest. Mead&Weed in the West?

Bomby missedOUT since he& Goldberry were
30 miles North in Boulder and didn't like FratBoys
much....
Bomby

Escapist
Gondor

Aug 30 2012, 4:43pm

Post #8 of 16 (626 views)
Shortcut
Thranduil also went to the School of Mines [In reply to] Can't Post

where he had the highly skilled dwarves there do most of his work for him (with payment of course).

He was a returning student who already had a few other degrees but was vacationing in the area and thought that since there was also a school there, why not attend?

Show or do not show, there is no tell.

DesiringDragons
Lorien

Aug 30 2012, 5:19pm

Post #9 of 16 (612 views)
Shortcut
Ninja'd! I was going to say Hogwarts just to be cheeky. [In reply to] Can't Post

But Explosives Engineering beats all. XD

Not an MA nor an MS, but an MEE.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 30 2012, 5:42pm

Post #10 of 16 (617 views)
Shortcut
Sauron only spent one semester at UB... [In reply to] Can't Post

The Necromancer went to the University of Baltimore

He then transferred to Miskatonic University where he majored in Biology with minors in Psychology and Sociometrics.

Little-known-fact: Sauron played offense for the school's football team, the fightin' Cephalopods (go, 'Pods, go!).

'Thus spake Ioreth, wise-woman of Gondor: The hands of the king are the hands of a healer, and so shall the rightful king be known.' - Gandalf the White

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Aug 30 2012, 5:57pm

Post #11 of 16 (597 views)
Shortcut
Radagast went to the San Diego Zoo University to become a veterinarian [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf went to Roke...everyone knows Middle-earth never quite managed to develop as good a school of wizardry as the one in the isles.
Aragorn went to Bravos Tech... the high society of Middle-earth sent their promising young elites to the best schools of the world, regardless of what continent they were located in. Aragorn learnt military tactics and fencing, hence his flawless "water dancer" technique.

Visit Mexico from A to Z! Index to the whole series here.
Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

(This post was edited by Compa_Mighty on Aug 30 2012, 5:57pm)

Escapist
Gondor

Aug 30 2012, 5:57pm

Post #12 of 16 (603 views)
Shortcut
Another graduate of the School of Mines was Galadriel. [In reply to] Can't Post

She was working towards her PhD in the highly cutting-edge, in-demand, and potentially world-changing field of Cryptography.
During her time as a student she blew up the curve multiple times and even came up with her own invention to help stop the dark lord from taking over the world.
However, no matter how many times and ways she excelled, all her fellow students couldn't shake the idea that she was really enrolled there to obtain her MRs. It was very hard for them to accept her work as a woman and an equal in such a male-dominated field. In order to get people to accept her invention she had to share it with Celeborn and have him do the advertising, otherwise no one would take it seriously. She also could not use her invention as her thesis because she feared that the dark lord would then be able to find it, so she spent the rest of her life keeping it hidden from him while simultaneously using it to preserve and protect those that she loved most dearly.
In the end, she never ended up graduating with the PhD. Instead she left with the MS, deciding that it was more important to keep her invention secret rather than giving in to the temptation employing it as a hacker and taking over the world herself - or seizing the fame and glory by publishing it. She was content to simply diminish, and remain Galadriel.

Show or do not show, there is no tell.

elevorn
Lorien

Aug 31 2012, 5:18pm

Post #13 of 16 (579 views)
Shortcut
now see [In reply to] Can't Post

I always had it that the Orcs were the Frat boys, always slobbering on one another and fighting about the littlest things. Pick any school with a good football team and you will see a student section full of the every saturday in Fall.

The dwarves I figured went to to Georgia Tech, after what engineer wouldn't go there.

The elves well, well they had their choice of any Ivy league school they wanted because they fight the tall white good looking mold required on the entrance exams.

I'm guessing Gandalf dropped out of MIT after that Good Will Hunting guy solved the equatiion before he could, btw a side note, Saruman actually used Will Hunting as name in college an no one really liked him either so like a good boy he transferred out and finished a degree where the rest of the pretentious people go who seek after world domination but never actually succeed (Duke, just kidding).

Galadriel graduated from an all boys college because she followed the sons of Feanor wherever they went.

Elrond of course has a Stanford, Harvard and Yale education all with minors in feminine literature, and one in under water Hugo Weaving, I mean basket weaving my bad.

Sauron went to Cambridge, which is why he is always disliked by all of his buddies who hold doctorates from Oxford.

Bilbo was a State College man, proud but simple majorred in antiques.

Aragorn studied at Westpoint, but as he did not want to follow his father he left the school and enlisted in the Green Berets, though he never found a liking to the hat.

"clever hobbits to climb so high!"
Check out my writing www.jdstudios.wordpress.com

Bombadil
Half-elven

Aug 31 2012, 7:18pm

Post #14 of 16 (587 views)
Shortcut
Rumor it had it in Boulder that a Great Beauty. [In reply to] Can't Post

of Special Magnifence had transfered
From Western State
A last never-ing ending Boy-daious
Beauty..strangely named "Gladiolus"
Without any doubt she claimed
the. The Last HOMELY-Coming crown
Representing her Sorority
The Tri-Delt-Durins?

Of course.. she was dating the captain of
Miners Football team
Thorin
who stole her away some Guy?
Celeborn
who was kinda a BookWorm.

Every Saturday their Football team
consisss..ded of
Legolas dude from Calgary Canada..Wide Dceiver?
BOMBUR Rtackle
BIFUR RGuard
DWALIN Center
OIN LGuard
GLOIN LTackle
RightEnd..another. Transfer Student
EOMER..from sum school called "Southern Rohan community
College"

Okay..FILI&KILI were Linebackers..backing up their
Safety. Faramir..

This team went 13-O

On the sidelines.. grouchy Coach called GrandElf..
had ORI taking Notes ..and
The WaterBoy?..a Freshman Intern.. everyone called
BILLYBoy?

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Aug 31 2012, 8:30pm

Post #15 of 16 (607 views)
Shortcut
Wormtongue: Harvard College, with degrees in Communication, Psychology, [In reply to] Can't Post

and Public Administration (with a concentration in Deception, Intrigue, and a minor in Chicanery).

Diploma withheld, pending investigation of possible involvement in theft of Chancellor's globular paperweight . . .

weaver
Half-elven

Sep 5 2012, 2:51am

Post #16 of 16 (592 views)
Shortcut
Boromir, Degree in Boasting from Brawny U... [In reply to] Can't Post

Nice to see SFTH again! This was a fun one! Smile

Weaver

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.