Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
First pictures of Thranduil and the White Council SPOILER!!!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

HiddenSpring
Lorien

Aug 30 2012, 1:43pm

Post #51 of 176 (4853 views)
Shortcut
Exciting! [In reply to] Can't Post

The Elvenking looks a bit too much like a Harry Potter character but this photo was for a children's book, right? I'm thinking the actual lighting and photography in The Hobbit films will make him look awesome.

Elrond and Galadriel seem like they've just crashed the wizards' meeting and Saruman isn't liking it one bit.

eralkfang
Lorien

Aug 30 2012, 1:45pm

Post #52 of 176 (4889 views)
Shortcut
Oh, man… [In reply to] Can't Post

One more addition to my list of dream costumes… (And no fishbone braids! Easier than Legolas!)

Thranduil's crown is gorgeous; it suggests antlers, and the way it curls to his cheekbones is lovely. And the blue contacts look a little creepy on Pace, which is good! I dig the rings and the narrow sword.

I think the gown is green, but the studio lighting (it's clearly a promo photo) is so bright it's just reflecting in a way it won't in Mirkwood. In the official shot for Fili and Kili, Fili's costume looks black, but it's actually brown in the production videos, so I think this is just a fluke of lighting.

grinman
Rivendell

Aug 30 2012, 1:46pm

Post #53 of 176 (4996 views)
Shortcut
Legolas/Thranduil [In reply to] Can't Post

I LOVE Thranduil's design! It's probably the first "new" character reveal that I've loved without reservation. With a lot of the others (Balin, Oil, Gloin being the exceptions) I have not been sold completely at first. With The Elvenking, perfection.

Now, to the people saying that his silver robes don't fit, let me point out a few things: First, Legolas' clothing throughout the trilogy were his travelling clothes. Probably designed so that he would "disappear" into wooded areas. Camoflage of sorts. It doesn't make sense that his father would wear the same thing in his own halls. Second, if you look at Legolas' costume, you'll see that he's actually wearing a silver shirt (long-sleeved) under his green jerkin. You can see this outfit in better detail in the Lothlorien scene where the elves are singing their "Lament to Gandalf". Also, in the coronation scene, Legolas is seen again wearing a long silver robe. So, if you ask me, Thranduil's silver robes are perfectly fitting with the design aesthetic established by the films, with the crown being a wonderful interpretation of the book description.

Now, according to the book, it could be believed that Thranduil would wear earthy tones, but the problem with making a "prequel" is that you have to work within the designs already established and tweak from there.

also, I LOVE the throne!!!! So cool that it looks like it has carven (or real?) antlers on the top of it!

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Aug 30 2012, 1:58pm

Post #54 of 176 (4829 views)
Shortcut
They should have done a little man-scaping on them. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I'll work around it.
I'm getting a Lucius Malfoy vibe as well. Maybe like Lucius Malfoy's younger brother. And that is okay with me! Cool

And suddenly the Tornadoes saw afar off a greenlight, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame;
and they knew that this was no vision only, but that PJ had made a new thing: The Hobbit, the Film that Is.

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Aug 30 2012, 2:02pm

Post #55 of 176 (4786 views)
Shortcut
*cough*geeks!*cough* [In reply to] Can't Post

Who else tries to figure out the exact species of leaves on a somewhat minor character in a movie about a childrens' book? TongueHeartLaugh

Although, y'all have all saved me the trouble of looking it up myself! Laugh

And suddenly the Tornadoes saw afar off a greenlight, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame;
and they knew that this was no vision only, but that PJ had made a new thing: The Hobbit, the Film that Is.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Aug 30 2012, 2:04pm

Post #56 of 176 (4805 views)
Shortcut
I'll put your finger on it for you [In reply to] Can't Post

King Balor from Hellboy II:
http://assets3.indiemoviesonline.com/...rspics/KingBalor.jpg

Prince Nuada from Hellboy II:
http://static.guim.co.uk/...8/08/15/nuada460.jpg

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Aug 30 2012, 2:05pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 30 2012, 2:10pm

Post #57 of 176 (4760 views)
Shortcut
Even if the leaves are dead? ;-) / [In reply to] Can't Post

stoutfiles
Rohan

Aug 30 2012, 2:13pm

Post #58 of 176 (4853 views)
Shortcut
Saruman is sitting down while the others stand [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder if this is due to Lee's age, and that expecting him to stand throughout numerous takes would be unfair to him.

I wonder how Saruman will be used at the Battle of Dol Guldur.

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Aug 30 2012, 2:14pm

Post #59 of 176 (4805 views)
Shortcut
His clothes remind me of Legolas's at the coronation of Aragorn. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thranduil's clothes look more courtly than battle-y.

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 30 2012, 2:18pm

Post #60 of 176 (4799 views)
Shortcut
Look at the thorns on this Honey Locust! [In reply to] Can't Post

Link

I can certainly see this growing in Mirkwood.

MatthewJer18
Rohan

Aug 30 2012, 2:20pm

Post #61 of 176 (4793 views)
Shortcut
Well, Gandalf is also sitting in this shot, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure Sir Christopher's age limits what he can do, which includes how long he can stand for. If I'm not mistaken, he does use a cane to walk during public appearances if he's not sitting down.

I believe his character in Hugo has a scene in which he's standing, but in most of his recent film appearances Sir Christopher has been sitting down. Perhaps he'll briefly stand as Saruman; it depends on what he's capable of.

TomthePilgrim
Rohan

Aug 30 2012, 2:23pm

Post #62 of 176 (4765 views)
Shortcut
I've ordered that book, but I won't get it for a couple of days . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

. . . as to the pictures.

Thranduil . . . the first thing I saw was the similarities to Legolas . . . the second thing that struck me was the creepiness, a serious 'ick' factor about the guy.

My verdict: PERFECT.
PJ and Co. seem to have managed to hit the target on this one. Thranduil is not intended as a sex symbol, he's a leader of elves who does some dark stuff to the characters. For most of the film, we are supposed to believe that he is a bad guy. Even his conversion during the Bo5A is only for convenience. His returning of Orcrist to the grave of Thorin is the one pure thing he does throughout the book. This visual is, in my mind, dead one target.
I've been somewhat disappointed by the characterizations up to this point. Half of the dwarves don't remeind me of dwarves, Thorin STILL doesn't work for me (hopefully seeing him in action will help), Bilbo seems pretty close . . .

The White Council . . . that table has some serious power-brokers . . . one question : Celeborn is, what, holding down the fort in Lorien . . . and I'd love to have seen the Blue wizards and Glorfindel, but I suppose that won't happen . . . sigh . . . . . . . . .

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began
Now far ahead the Road has gone
And I must follow, if I can

"Thorin sat up with a start. 'Something is not right,' he muttered to himself as he stood up and
looked towards the mirror . . . . . . . . . 'Durin's bones', he gasped, 'what's happened to my beard?'"

Marionette
Rohan

Aug 30 2012, 2:31pm

Post #63 of 176 (4720 views)
Shortcut
Very close [In reply to] Can't Post

Very close to what I was expecting.

I love it, really.

"Dear friend good bye, no tears in my eyes. So sad it ends, as it began"
Queen

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Aug 30 2012, 2:32pm

Post #64 of 176 (4768 views)
Shortcut
They're also standing away from him... [In reply to] Can't Post

partly due to his bits being shot in the UK. But also, does this imply that the Council will not be on his side in the debate? He is supposed to be interested in The Ring at this point, but not evil. I wonder how subtly they'll portray his desire for the Ring and to what extent the Council disagree with him. Perhaps, being the "head of the order" he's singled-out to show his dominance? It's an interesting shot, when you analyse it.

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Aug 30 2012, 2:32pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 30 2012, 2:36pm

Post #65 of 176 (4699 views)
Shortcut
I've been wondering this too [In reply to] Can't Post

If they are standing away from him simply because he filmed his parts over here, then will we see him have any physical interaction with the other characters? Would be a shame if he is constantly split from the group. But then again, as you said, it could just be because of the divide in the Council.

namarie
Rohan

Aug 30 2012, 2:38pm

Post #66 of 176 (4740 views)
Shortcut
Yes it is similar [In reply to] Can't Post

to the book description but the crown looks more like a spike crown to me than a crown of branches / leaves. Smile

He looks very different from what I am used to see as Elves but probably that's the idea. To make him look different from the other Elves and probably his personality is reflected in/by his costume.

There is always hope

GoodGuyA
Lorien

Aug 30 2012, 2:45pm

Post #67 of 176 (4693 views)
Shortcut
That is one small table! [In reply to] Can't Post

Why would they want to be so cramped?

DesiringDragons
Lorien

Aug 30 2012, 2:56pm

Post #68 of 176 (4690 views)
Shortcut
YES! I knew he reminded me of someone. [In reply to] Can't Post

Lucius Malfoy, definitely. Always did have a thing for that snobby blonde Death-Eater. To my shame!

I THINK THRANDUIL'S HIGHLY CONTROVERSIAL EYEBROWS SUIT HIM.

There, I said it. In all caps.

Escapist
Gondor

Aug 30 2012, 2:57pm

Post #69 of 176 (4688 views)
Shortcut
Thranduil [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the thorns are appropriate for the Elven King's role in this story. Although, why not be brave and have a few roses in it, too - if that isn't too feminine. Because it is true, that in spite of intentions being misunderstood in the moment, it was a lucky thing that the dwarves encountered the elves and it probably did save them from certain death in Mirkwood - and it may have been possible for the misunderstanding to be cleared up if the questioning had gone differently.

Show or do not show, there is no tell.

RosieLass
Valinor

Aug 30 2012, 3:04pm

Post #70 of 176 (4705 views)
Shortcut
Hate the eyebrows. [In reply to] Can't Post

But everything else looks great.

He's kinda giving off a Lucius Malfoy vibe, though. Maybe it's just the long, pale hair.

And I love the Council scene.

"BOTH [political] extremes are dangerous. But more dangerous are team fanboys who think all the extremists are on the OTHER side." (CNN reader comment)

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

elevorn
Lorien

Aug 30 2012, 3:06pm

Post #71 of 176 (4670 views)
Shortcut
oh my [In reply to] Can't Post

Well my request for new stuff was answered quickly!! Love the white council picture, note the morgul blade.

Thranduil's design looks pretty good to me. I think the crown is as close as they could get without the berries. I didn't see thorns, rather small leaves on the silvery sticks that form the points of the crown. Yes very Lucious Malfoy feel, but at the same time for me it captures what I would expect from him. Going to the bookstore in a couple of hours and if there is more that I can find I will be happy to post pics later on. (crosses fingers and clocks out early to go on an unexpected quest)

"clever hobbits to climb so high!"
Check out my writing www.jdstudios.wordpress.com

GoodGuyA
Lorien

Aug 30 2012, 3:06pm

Post #72 of 176 (4650 views)
Shortcut
My thought on it was that everyone was back home in GB [In reply to] Can't Post

They moved production over there to do a few certain scenes, and perhaps even to work around Martin and Benedict's schedule. They wouldn't have a snippet of Bag End just to do a little joke! I'm pretty sure all four of the Council members live in the UK and he could have caught them to do some of the Saruman stuff. Don't except that Sir Lee won't walk though! I'm sure he can muster it up enough to circle a table a couple times, as he is oft to do.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Aug 30 2012, 3:36pm

Post #73 of 176 (4577 views)
Shortcut
Not as small as this table: [In reply to] Can't Post

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/...ages/8/87/Rings2.jpg

"Do you seriously expect us all to eat off of that?"

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 30 2012, 3:47pm

Post #74 of 176 (4556 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps because he was shot alone against greenscreen [In reply to] Can't Post

The rest of the White Council members were shot together in New Zealand, while poor Christopher Lee probably did his bits alone in the UK.

So rather than get into the complexities of compositing them together, they decided to go for having him face the others.

It also has some logic to it in that he was the proud head of the Council and perhaps liked having them all face him to prove it.

The Plan 9 Interview... in celebration of the 10th anniversary of the release of The Fellowship of the Ring.

architecthis
Lorien

Aug 30 2012, 3:56pm

Post #75 of 176 (4546 views)
Shortcut
Do you think we'll get official character poses soon? [In reply to] Can't Post

Like, before the trailer? Or will they way wait until after?

Cat's kind of out of the bag isn't it?

I think he looks incredible by the way, eyebrows and all.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.