Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
Image posting question

Loresilme
Valinor

Aug 29 2012, 1:42pm

Post #1 of 11 (357 views)
Shortcut
Image posting question Can't Post

Hello,

I included a photo in a post and (as far as I can tell) it looks ok, except directly to the right of the photo is this text: [/img]

When I created the post I used the little picture icon (second from the right on the tool bar, next to the lock) and I pasted the "IMG Code" from Photobucket. Can someone please let me know what I did incorrectly? Thanks!

Loresilme

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 29 2012, 2:00pm

Post #2 of 11 (119 views)
Shortcut
I only have a second [In reply to] Can't Post

But if you could link to the post where this happened, it might help. And I'd be curious if we can get at the place where you picked up the link (at Photobucket).

And then tell us if you were using basic editor or advanced editor.

I'm betting someone can help but I'll check after work to see. If not, I'll take a look.

I have some thoughts but it'd be easier to get more facts than to speculate on things that might not have even been involved.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Aug 29 2012, 3:32pm

Post #3 of 11 (113 views)
Shortcut
The link [In reply to] Can't Post

http://newboards.theonering.net/...b=post_time;so=DESC;

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on 0 secs ago)

Loresilme
Valinor

Aug 29 2012, 3:55pm

Post #4 of 11 (109 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Sir D :)!

Sorry Magpie, let me get you those details:

But if you could link to the post where this happened, it might help:
http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=487682#487682

And I'd be curious if we can get at the place where you picked up the link (at Photobucket).
When I try to paste the code here that I got from the "IMG Code" box below the photo in my Photobucket album, it just pastes the photo again. But now that I'm looking at the code I see that at the very beginning it contains a (I have to spell this out or it won't appear in the post) "left bracket IMG right bracket", and then at the very end it contains a "left bracket forward slash IMG right bracket", which is that bit of text that's appearing after the photo in the post. So perhaps I just need to delete both of those when I'm pasting it into the little picture box? Or perhaps, is it not necessary at all to use the little picture box, when using that type of code?

I was using Advanced Editor.

No rush on getting back to me, whenever you get a chance. Thanks!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 29 2012, 3:56pm

Post #5 of 11 (125 views)
Shortcut
I just edited it [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the link, SirD!

I edited the post, there was extra code in there. But unfortunately being at work photobucket is blocked! Can you take a look and see if it's okay now?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Loresilme
Valinor

Aug 29 2012, 4:55pm

Post #6 of 11 (100 views)
Shortcut
Thank you kindly! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's gone, just like magic :).

Thanks dernwyn!!

Loresilme
Valinor

Aug 29 2012, 6:50pm

Post #7 of 11 (112 views)
Shortcut
I think I've figured it out [In reply to] Can't Post

Either leave the bracketed code in there and just paste it directly into the post, or remove both the bracketed codes and paste it in the picture box.

(What I did was I had removed only the first one and then pasted it in the picture box.)

All good now, thanks!

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 29 2012, 8:24pm

Post #8 of 11 (125 views)
Shortcut
With the information on hand... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think you're right. And it's what I suspected was the problem when I was considering possibilities this morning.

:-)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 30 2012, 1:31am

Post #9 of 11 (135 views)
Shortcut
Yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

The brackets are for markup code. The picture box takes the URL and automatically adds the code, so it was simply ignoring the redundant code at the end.

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

Loresilme
Valinor

Aug 31 2012, 6:48pm

Post #10 of 11 (59 views)
Shortcut
With the previous photo site I used [In reply to] Can't Post

I had to use the picture box, but I see Photobucket has a few options so that you can choose the code that enables you to just paste in the post itself.

Loresilme
Valinor

Aug 31 2012, 6:52pm

Post #11 of 11 (180 views)
Shortcut
New & improved :) [In reply to] Can't Post

At first I was bummed when I discovered the old site I used suddenly disappeared, but Photobucket seems to be better overall. Now I can just copy and paste directly into the post, don't even need the picture box. Neat :). Thanks, Silverlode!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.