Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
SCOD: Frodo saves Samwise

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Aug 29 2012, 5:40am

Post #1 of 15 (1170 views)
Shortcut
SCOD: Frodo saves Samwise Can't Post

The Fellowship of the Ring is drawing to an end. (Goodness, time flies!) But it's not over yet, so let's get to the first of this week's SCOD's.

This is an unusual image for the SCOD library; it's a very simple picture, composition-wise, but I think itís evocative, both visually and in substance. I'm looking forward to your thoughts. As usual with my SCOD posts, there's a fair amount of possible overlap in the questions, so feel free to answer how you like.

What do you think of this image in terms of visual impact?

Is PJ trying to elicit a certain mood or feeling with this shot? If so, does he achieve it and how?

What about the substance? Is it just an illustration of how Frodo was able to catch Samís hand, or does it seem to represent more? If the latter, in what way?

@Shelob's Appetite: I know I said that I would find a wide shot for my next SCOD, but you'll have to wait for my second SCOD this weekSmile

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Aug 29 2012, 5:58am

Post #2 of 15 (732 views)
Shortcut
I love all underwater scenes in films [In reply to] Can't Post

So thumbs up on this one!

Loresilme
Valinor

Aug 29 2012, 1:37pm

Post #3 of 15 (765 views)
Shortcut
And Samwise saves Frodo [In reply to] Can't Post

What's great is how many of the images in the trilogy are like bookends to each other. The image below from the end of FOTR, and the image above from the end of ROTK. Setting out on the journey, Frodo saving Sam amidst water and then, the journey almost over, Sam saving Frodo amidst fire. It shows also what they've gone through, (not only the blood), but the removal of their original clothing, Sam's tidy little jacket gone, almost everything from their home stripped away, just the two of them left, and their bond remains.

Also it reminds me of this exchange from TTT:

Aragorn: It cannot be. You fell.

Gandalf: Through fire and water.

There's so many of these wonderful moments :).

P.S. I'm just getting back into sharing images and so forth on the boards - I'm not sure if I'm doing the technical stuff correctly now. If the above image isn't viewable, or if its really teensy or really gigantic, lol ... if someone could kindly let me know I would appreciate it, thanks :)!

Loresilme

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Aug 29 2012, 3:54pm)

elevorn
Lorien

Aug 29 2012, 3:33pm

Post #4 of 15 (693 views)
Shortcut
SCOD [In reply to] Can't Post

I think color pallette, everything underwater always has such a somber more slow and beautiful feel to it. Like I should be paying more attention to it. It reinforces the sense of brotherhood and sacrifice to me.

Is PJ trying to elicit a certain mood or feeling with this shot? If so, does he achieve it and how?
I think he achieves it quite well, that we should feel like no matter what Frodo cannot do this without Sam. Not only from a physicla perspective, but that Frodo and Sam are linked much deeper to each other than they yet know.

What about the substance? Is it just an illustration of how Frodo was able to catch Samís hand, or does it seem to represent more? If the latter, in what way?
I think I answered that in the one above. It represents more, more of the link. Also note that at this time Frodo's arm is in the white pallette, and Sam's is dark. Could there be more meaning in that? I'll have to think on it more.

"clever hobbits to climb so high!"
Check out my writing www.jdstudios.wordpress.com

Alientraveller
Lorien

Aug 29 2012, 4:43pm

Post #5 of 15 (675 views)
Shortcut
Goodness [In reply to] Can't Post

I never recognized that symmetry. Now I appreciate PJ's alternate version of the Mount Doom chapter even more.

"Sure, it's not really The Lord of the Rings, but it could still be a pretty damn cool movie." - PJ

ArdamŪrŽ
Valinor

Aug 29 2012, 5:15pm

Post #6 of 15 (696 views)
Shortcut
Good gracious! That's brilliant! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never made that connection before. Just another reason why these films are brilliant.

What are some of these other wonderful moment?? Shocked

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast, as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower."

Loresilme
Valinor

Aug 29 2012, 6:23pm

Post #7 of 15 (709 views)
Shortcut
Bookends [In reply to] Can't Post

There are lots and it's always so interesting to discover one even after watching the films a zillion times.

For instance, there is how in the 'departure of Boromir' scene (just one or two SCODs ago), Aragorn says "Be at peace (son of Gondor)" to Boromir. And in ROTK when Aragorn releases the Army of the Dead, he also says, "Be at peace". Boromir in a sense having broken an oath, as did the King of the Army of the Dead, and in both instances Aragorn extends forgiveness and offers them peace.

There are other visual bookends I can't think of at the moment, but I will take a look through the screencap library and past discussions here, to try to find a few.

ArdamŪrŽ
Valinor

Aug 30 2012, 1:43am

Post #8 of 15 (635 views)
Shortcut
Interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

I love things like this. Thanks for the insight Smile

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast, as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower."

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Aug 30 2012, 3:41am

Post #9 of 15 (670 views)
Shortcut
Sort of like [In reply to] Can't Post

when Aragron is hoisted above the wall at Helm's Deep, while carrying Gimli no less.

I do love how forgiving Aragorn is -- as any Messianic figure should be I suppose. We made a note of it (thanks to Escapist) in the previous SCOD.

There was the time he extended his hand to Grima as well. Consider the implications that it was rejected... did this make his downfall more, or less pathos inducing? I guess this sort of touches on zarabia's original question:

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on 0 secs ago)

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Aug 30 2012, 3:41am)

kzer_za
Rivendell

Aug 30 2012, 1:33pm

Post #10 of 15 (635 views)
Shortcut
As silly as the dwarf-tossing jokes are, I think they're supposed to do that sort of thing [In reply to] Can't Post

Because of his dwarven pride and independence, Gimli refuses to let anyone toss him in Fellowship. In The Two Towers, he's grown to trust his companions enough that he asks Aragorn to toss him.

I think it might have worked if they had kept the Gimli humor mostly low-key in The Two Towers like Fellowship and made "toss me!" an exceptional moment. The problem is that there are so many silly Gimli jokes in TTT that it's just too much.

(This post was edited by kzer_za on Aug 30 2012, 1:37pm)

Loresilme
Valinor

Aug 30 2012, 6:13pm

Post #11 of 15 (575 views)
Shortcut
Speaking of silly Gimli jokes & other humor [In reply to] Can't Post

This reminds me of how, since I was a movie firster (and in light of all the dwarf tossing and burping dwarf jokes), I had assumed the 'counting game' between Gimli and Legolas was a movie invention too. I was so surprised to find out that that had actually been in the books Sly.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Aug 31 2012, 5:33am

Post #12 of 15 (540 views)
Shortcut
I wish I could say [In reply to] Can't Post

I wish I could say that your response was just what I was going for, but it had never crossed my mind.Crazy What a wonderful insight! I really need to watch the films again with an eye towards these bookends and parallels.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Aug 31 2012, 5:57am

Post #13 of 15 (576 views)
Shortcut
That's what struck me...also reminded me of Harold of Whoa's words [In reply to] Can't Post

Also note that at this time Frodo's arm is in the white pallette, and Sam's is dark.

Yes, that's what I noticed, and it reminded me of something Harold of Whoa said in the last SCOD about Aragorn and Boromir:

The contrast between the two faces is stark; Boromir's last battle has left his face almost clean, and blood loss has made him pale, which translates to something almost luminous - almost ethereal. Aragorn could not look more earthy

Except that it's the hand of Sam - the one who is in danger of dying - that is pink, full of life, and dirty (earthly) while Frodo's hand looks almost like it belongs to a saint or an angel as depicted in a renaissance painting. To me, it's like Frodo has already accepted his fate and has become transcendent while Sam is very earth-bound and hangs on to the idea that they will come out of this journey alive, despite nearly drowning. Frodo has gone on already, Sam is his link back to Middle earth, the Shire...life itself.

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Sep 1 2012, 5:47pm

Post #14 of 15 (517 views)
Shortcut
I never thought of that. [In reply to] Can't Post

A simple, yet clever comparison! Cool

FOTR 10th Anniversary Music Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33xJU3AIwsg

"You do not let your eyes see nor your ears hear, and that which is outside your daily life is not of account to you. Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."

alienorchid
Lorien

Sep 2 2012, 4:00am

Post #15 of 15 (642 views)
Shortcut
Love this scene! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the blue colour palate and the simplicity of this scene. It perfectly symbolises the dedication of Frodo and Sam to each other. And as others mentioned, the scene in Mt Doom, which is all fiery and orange, compliments this one perfectly.

The feeling I get with this scene is that both Sam and Frodo have been thrust into a whole other world, and the sound design and other-worldliness of the underwater represents that, imo. Their clasped hands show that they will pull eachother through it.

I also think it represents that at this stage in the journey, Frodo is the leader and Sam kind of relies on him being the one with the plan, but in the bookend scene, the roles have been reversed since Frodo is completely wasted by the ring at that stage, and Sam is the practical one who takes control.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.