Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Is dirt a toy?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Is dirt a toy?
yes
no
What in the world are you talking about?
View Results (52 votes)

Delrond
Rohan

Aug 27 2012, 6:27pm

Post #1 of 41 (1313 views)
Shortcut
Is dirt a toy? Can't Post

Some say yes, some say no. What say you?

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 27 2012, 6:52pm

Post #2 of 41 (946 views)
Shortcut
or... a 'play object' if toy doesn't quite fix [In reply to] Can't Post

mud pies, mud castles, mud bricks, and mud sculptures
construction site play with Tonka trucks
mud sliding (watch Woodstock)
mancala
digging holes
drawing lines/circles for hopscotch, tic tac toe, and/or marbles (not all of us had pavement to draw on)
king of the hill - one needs a pile of dirt for the hill

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 27 2012, 8:59pm

Post #3 of 41 (936 views)
Shortcut
Most definitely! [In reply to] Can't Post

You haven't lived your childhood if you haven't played with mud/dirt/soil! Tongue

Delrond
Rohan

Aug 27 2012, 9:47pm

Post #4 of 41 (780 views)
Shortcut
Totally agree [In reply to] Can't Post

It is a play object. I've probably had dirt in nearly every orifice at one time or another and I'm sure I have eaten my fair share (probably more) of it as well. Even thrown it at my little sister. Dirt on my Shirt was one of Little D's favorite books at bed time, too. But I'm still not convinced that it is a toy.EvilSmile

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Aug 27 2012, 9:47pm

Post #5 of 41 (936 views)
Shortcut
LOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, you know my answer! Plus, my mother always said you must eat a certain amount of dirt in your lifetime to be healthy. I figure I got my share and then some!

Here are Little Eruvande and The Little Goblin a few years ago atop some dirt we had delivered to level out our back yard. Of course, we played in it for a week or so before we actually got it to the back yard! Incidentally, the next picture I have of them in the dirt pile is with their clothes completely shucked off, and them wearing nothing but smiles and dirt. Probably wouldn't fit with TORn's terms of service so I'll not link to that one! Laugh

Heh, The Little Goblin just came up to the desk, saw the picture above, and said, "I wish we still had the dirt pile!" We should probably order another truckload just to play in. Laugh

imin
Valinor

Aug 27 2012, 9:56pm

Post #6 of 41 (922 views)
Shortcut
Is all the trees and grass part of your back garden?! [In reply to] Can't Post

If so that is a massive garden!

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Aug 27 2012, 10:00pm

Post #7 of 41 (880 views)
Shortcut
Not really. [In reply to] Can't Post

We have five acres and the part you can see is the "back pasture", as I call it. Currently, there are three horses back there so no grass. Plus the drought hasn't helped the grass growing. Frown At the time the picture was taken, we didn't have horses, and had plenty of rain.

No, the part I consider the "yard" is only the immediate area around the house, much like a regular-sized yard. If I were wealthy, I would have the entire five acres landscaped in the image of an English country garden. But I'm not wealthy, and couldn't afford to water it, nor pay a guy to help me maintain it. Smile

imin
Valinor

Aug 27 2012, 10:12pm

Post #8 of 41 (1080 views)
Shortcut
5 acre pasture and horses sounds lovely! :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I would love to own some land with a house one day - have enough room for a kid or two to run about on and grow my own veg like my mum does. i think an acre would do for me (especially as in the UK land is really expensive!).

That is awesome you have horses though, my sister used to go horse riding and loved it, and a 5 acre English garden would look great, be like visiting the shire Smile

sevilodorf
Gondor

Aug 27 2012, 11:15pm

Post #9 of 41 (853 views)
Shortcut
Can be [In reply to] Can't Post

"Toynessity" is a state of mind. Therefore, dirt is a toy, air is a toy, etc etc etc

Sam20
Lorien

Aug 27 2012, 11:26pm

Post #10 of 41 (864 views)
Shortcut
A Toy [In reply to] Can't Post

To me dirt isn't a toy because I don't think it has been conceive for the purpose of it. It doesn't mean you cannot play with dirt as you can play with probably anything, maybe at your risks and perils. If someone play with a knife or a gun, does it make it a toy? I don't think so... A toy is something that has been create, made or conceive in the chief and basic fonction of playing and I cannot say that this is the case with dirt, mud, ect. Therefore I voted no.

(This post was edited by sam90 on Aug 27 2012, 11:33pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 27 2012, 11:37pm

Post #11 of 41 (950 views)
Shortcut
for kicks, I went to the Online Etymology Dictionary [In reply to] Can't Post

toy (n.)
c.1300, "amorous playing, sport," later "piece of fun or entertainment" (c.1500), "thing of little value, trifle" (1520s), and "thing for a child to play with" (1580s). Of uncertain origin, and there may be more than one word here. Cf. M.Du. toy, Du. tuig "tools, apparatus, stuff, trash," in speeltuig "play-toy, plaything;" Ger. Zeug "stuff, matter, tools," Spielzeug "plaything, toy;" Dan. tÝi, Swed. tyg "stuff, gear."

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=toy

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 28 2012, 9:28am

Post #12 of 41 (793 views)
Shortcut
This is what the UK suffers from [In reply to] Can't Post

*Everything* is fenced in - gardens, parks, fields ... there needs to be more proper "countryside"!

imin
Valinor

Aug 28 2012, 9:58am

Post #13 of 41 (846 views)
Shortcut
Come up to the Lakes or Dales [In reply to] Can't Post

No fences for miles and miles!

Like you i much prefer it, makes it feel like no one has ever been there and you are in 'proper' countryside. Scotland is even better for that though, some parts are real wilderness!

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 28 2012, 10:00am

Post #14 of 41 (800 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I meant to add that [In reply to] Can't Post

It's ok for you up North, much more open countryside. Down here everything is split into fields, bounded by hedges, fences and/or roads Unsure

imin
Valinor

Aug 28 2012, 10:25am

Post #15 of 41 (845 views)
Shortcut
Yeah its a shame [In reply to] Can't Post

Though i think that just comes from too many people living there to have enough open space without it being used for agriculture.

I can remember when went down to Oxford people said how awesome the Cotswold is - was a bit of a let down for me coming from the Lakes - but i always think foreign tourists must think that coming to the Lakes - get loads and loads of Japanese and American tourists and i just think, im sure they have more mountainous and beautiful regions than this - for me i really want to travel to yosemite and yellowstone but maybe its just the grass is always greener i dunno, lol.

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 28 2012, 1:56pm

Post #16 of 41 (816 views)
Shortcut
Interesting... since this conversation was making me think about ha-has [In reply to] Can't Post

...that word being the plural of ha-ha - just in case you're trying to make out what it is.

ha-ha has been one of those words that keeps cropping up in my life. I had a dear friend who had this odd tshirt. It was 'a dodo in a tutu in a ha-ha'.

A ha-ha is a basically a ditch that kept livestock grazing in the distance from encroaching on the leisure grounds of the household. It was, from the perspective of the household, invisible. So it functioned as a fence without looking like a fence.

After having him explain the tshirt, the word would crop up here and there and I'd think: I know what that is!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ha-ha

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Aug 28 2012, 2:03pm

Post #17 of 41 (770 views)
Shortcut
LOL, we have a fence! [In reply to] Can't Post

It is a livestock fence and made of wire, so you can't really see it, but we are fenced on all four sides, plus one through the middle. Keeps out you riff-raff. TongueAngelic

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Aug 28 2012, 2:07pm

Post #18 of 41 (812 views)
Shortcut
Ha Ha! I've never heard of that! [In reply to] Can't Post

But what a great idea for improving your view. Of course, it would never work for us. We live in an area that was a sea bed during the time of T Rex, so it is nothing but solid limestone with a few inches of dirt on top. I don't think it would be easy or practical to dig the trench. Plus, with my fence jumping lab, we'd still have to run a hot wire around it. But I like the idea, and the name even more. Laugh

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 28 2012, 2:07pm

Post #19 of 41 (863 views)
Shortcut
I was going to say: haha! [In reply to] Can't Post

But after Magpie's post, it might get a little confusing Wink

I'll just parachute in AlassŽa Eruvande! If it's good enough for the Queen, it's good enough for me!

Delrond
Rohan

Aug 28 2012, 2:23pm

Post #20 of 41 (727 views)
Shortcut
Sounds like [In reply to] Can't Post

hours of fun digging for fossils in that there limestone. I remember doing that as a child, competing with my older brothers on who could find the coolest fossil. Most were crinoids or some sort of coral. While they could be considered as bibelots, baubles or bagatelles, they are not toys!

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Aug 28 2012, 2:33pm

Post #21 of 41 (822 views)
Shortcut
You've had a deprived childhood if you don't consider dirt and fossils as toys! [In reply to] Can't Post

Tongue
We find lots of fossils all the time. Mostly what we find are oysters, devil's toenails, and giant snails that look like cinnamon rolls. We also find arrow heads.

You use the smaller fossils as armor for your dirt fort!

Delrond
Rohan

Aug 28 2012, 2:44pm

Post #22 of 41 (732 views)
Shortcut
Deprived childhood? [In reply to] Can't Post

I played with my dad's construction tools (when he wasn't looking, of course), toys as well? Tongue

Really now, I was the middle of 5 children. Aside from never getting new pair of jeans of shoes, my childhood was anything but deprived. Throw in half a dozen neighborhood kids and we were the "Stand By Me" gang of the 1970's.Cool

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Aug 28 2012, 2:48pm

Post #23 of 41 (835 views)
Shortcut
Middle child? Oh, you never had a chance! [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh

I hope your Stand By Me friends never found a dead body! ShockedTongue

Delrond
Rohan

Aug 28 2012, 3:02pm

Post #24 of 41 (887 views)
Shortcut
Nope. [In reply to] Can't Post

Unless you count squirrels, raccoons, chipmunks, opossums and various other forest animals. I did, however, find myself talked into (maybe roped into would be more accurate) throwing cherry bombs at cars from the safety of the forest. See what happens when you turn a bunch of boys on the loose?

Patty
Immortal

Aug 29 2012, 5:18pm

Post #25 of 41 (841 views)
Shortcut
Certainly little kids think so. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's the cheapest toy I know of. All you have to pay for is soap to fix the damage.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.