Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What movies did you watch this weekend?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

deej
Tol Eressea

Aug 27 2012, 1:48pm

Post #1 of 54 (985 views)
Shortcut
What movies did you watch this weekend? Can't Post

Tell us about them here!

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 27 2012, 2:57pm

Post #2 of 54 (596 views)
Shortcut
Finally seeing Brave tonight [In reply to] Can't Post

And hoopefully the trailer for The Hobbit. I shall report back! Smile

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 27 2012, 3:04pm

Post #3 of 54 (543 views)
Shortcut
ParaNorman with the Hobbit Trailer in 3D (Woo-hoo) [In reply to] Can't Post

My 26 year old son was raving about ParaNorman in 3D and I got a bit wistful about wanting to see it myself. But our budget absolutely didn't allow for full price movies, esp. 3D ones. Then I was dusting in preparation for having a few TORnsibs over (waves at Ordinary Hobbit and Radhuin) and moved - for the umpteenth time - the two movie theater gift cards sitting on the secretariat. *cue that scratching record sound as we all back up a moment* Two movie theater gift cards. I had figured we'd used them up and they were just sitting there like most stuff does in our house... just sits there. But I took them up to the computer and punched in the 85 digit numbers on the back and yoohoo... they were full. We were going to ParaNorman in 3D!

Hobbit Trailer - I had seen this online, of course. And we have a large tv (albeit an old rear projection one) and I saw it on that through Flixster on my Roku.

But we hadn't seen it on the big screen yet. Finally, we saw it with Brave and I was so excited. When it came on before ParaNorman - I was completely surprised. I hadn't even thought about it. And it was fantastic. 3 times better than the trailer in 2D. (or maybe 3/2 x better). I found I could process the images much more quickly. I guess I figure I process images like everyone else but maybe I don't. For movies, my eye often has to roam around the screen, taking in everything I can see and then process out the stuff that I don't need for comprehension (the buildings in the background) from the stuff I do need (the people in the foreground that are doing something). It helps if the background is not highly detailed - like a blob of green that is essentially trees or sky or water or out of focus. But if there is much detail to the background, there is a definitely lag in processing time. And if you throw a lot of movement in, it makes it worse. Kind of like how one learns a foreign language but still translates it into one's native language before truly comprehending it.

I had that problem with the Hobbit trailer. With the highly detailed and textured backgrounds, the fast cutting, and action scenes - I really couldn't *see* and process shots before we were onto the next one.

With 3D, the added dimension made the prominent objects (like faces) pop out from the background and the 'roundness' of them gave me an additional cue that helped me process the images so fast there was no discernible lag time. After half a dozen viewings through different media - it was as if I was watching it for the first time.

Now, one designs for one's medium. If I'm doing an ad in black and white, I will design it differently than if I can have color in it. Without the added cues of color, I have to keep any image I use simpler. And if I want some text to stand out, I can't choose to make it red in a sea of black... so I have to differentiate it with larger, bolder text or a box around it or something.

I kinda wonder if the Hobbit trailer was shot with 3D in mind - and tested with 3D - but not so much with 2D in mind. I wonder if they had only a 2D option available, if they would have framed and edited things differently so that it was easier to quickly identify what's going on. In some ways, old black and white movies without a lot of detail (ever noticed someone's pores on an old 45 black and white movie?) are dreams for me visually. Things shot in 3D that are viewed in 2D may become an issue.

But I wiggled in my chair while I watched it and mouthed the words to Far Over the Misty Mountains and sighed a happy sigh when it was over.

There was also a trailer for Despicable Me that I'd seen during Brave in 2D. I didn't get the visual joke at all until I saw it in 3D when it just tickled the heck out of me. You have to understand, as a kid I was fascinated and in love with Viewmaster slides. I now have close to a hundred in my collection. I love this kind of reconstructed 3D effect.

ParaNorman (finally!) - I loved it. I liked the art direction. I liked the animation especially in terms of developing characters with their facial movements and mannerisms. I liked the quirky, irreverent tone of it. And I liked the message. 'Sometimes, people are afraid of someone who's different. And sometimes when people are afraid, they do and say mean things. People shouldn't be afraid and they shouldn't do mean things.'

It's from the same studio as Coraline but not the same writers (notably, not Neil Gaiman). And although I don't want to compare it to Coraline too heavily, it's got a similar dark tone to it. The protagonist (a young boy) is fascinated with old horror and zombie movies so we see some of that (remember - it's all stop motion animation and it's not meant to look *real* at all). And the protagonist sees and talks to ghosts. And it takes place in a village similar to Salem, MA with a Puritanical history of identifying people as witches and dealing with them accordingly. There are enough scary bits that young children might not enjoy this movie much (unless they have very strong constitutions). But I would guess most kids past the age of 10 could. But it's also a movie (imo) that adults would like - as long as one doesn't take umbrage at any of a handful of things people could take offense over. It is irreverent and not trying to be Toy Story. But keep in mind, this is a movie that has scary bits but it also has a good heart and a good message. It's a good movie.

I found two reviews that spoke to the message of the movie and I think they do a nicer job of reviewing it than I could:
The Brainy Message of ParaNorman
'ParaNorman' is Dead On Fantastic

with both 'brainy' and 'dead' being used as puns, in this case :-)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Annael
Half-elven

Aug 27 2012, 3:17pm

Post #4 of 54 (620 views)
Shortcut
still on my Renner roll [In reply to] Can't Post

so I rented "Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol" despite my usual tendency to avoid Tom Cruise movies at all costs. Enjoyed it - had not realized Simon Pegg was part of the equation, so that was a bonus.

Then I rented "The Adjustment Bureau" because seeing "The Hurt Locker" made me an Anthony Mackie fan and I have no objections whatsoever to Matt Damon. Or Emily Blunt. Fun premise that turns the usual conspiracy plot on its ear.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

imin
Valinor

Aug 27 2012, 3:51pm

Post #5 of 54 (603 views)
Shortcut
The Dark Knight Rises again [In reply to] Can't Post

was brilliant Smile

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Aug 27 2012, 4:00pm

Post #6 of 54 (618 views)
Shortcut
Downton Abbey [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't get over how well this is written! We've got so many main characters, so many different story lines, so many plot twists, and it's all interconnected and woven together beautifully. I can't say that there is a single character I don't have feelings about, good or bad. We've got the main family, mom, dad, 3 sisters, Granny, Isobel and Matthew. Assorted boyfriends and girlfriends. Then we've got the servants: butler, housekeeper, maids, lady's maid, valets, footmen, cooks, cook's helper, chauffeur. There are 21 main characters that I can count off the top of my head and they've all got a story.

I wish Julian Fellowes were a writer on The Hobbit. It would be a piece of cake for him, but a triple layer chocolate with raspberry filling and buttercream icing with silver dragées.

And suddenly the Tornadoes saw afar off a greenlight, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame;
and they knew that this was no vision only, but that PJ had made a new thing: The Hobbit, the Film that Is.

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Aug 27 2012, 4:48pm

Post #7 of 54 (613 views)
Shortcut
The Bourne Legacy [In reply to] Can't Post

Wasn't quite sure what to expect from this one, but wasn't disappointed. A little slow starting, but caught up in a rush that didn't end until the credits. Although I loved Matt Damon in the earlier ones, I think Jeremy Renner did very well. He's not as 'cute' as Damon but he does have a certain something. The film leaves obvious leads to a sequel too. Edward Norton was great, and a formidable adversary.

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Aug 27 2012, 4:58pm

Post #8 of 54 (556 views)
Shortcut
Psst...Elberbeth... [In reply to] Can't Post

See the Estrogen Island thread below for a little certain something. Wink

And suddenly the Tornadoes saw afar off a greenlight, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame;
and they knew that this was no vision only, but that PJ had made a new thing: The Hobbit, the Film that Is.

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 27 2012, 5:03pm

Post #9 of 54 (576 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for reminding me Annael! [In reply to] Can't Post

I watched The Adjustment Bureau in the cinema when it came out, and want to watch it again. I really enjoyed it, and loved the concept of the film. I need to add it onto my films to re-watch list. Smile

Delrond
Rohan

Aug 27 2012, 5:07pm

Post #10 of 54 (603 views)
Shortcut
I watched this yesterday, [In reply to] Can't Post

And agree with your assessment. Thoroughly enjoyed this thrill-ride. I think that something that Renner has might be that he is ripped to shreds. Although I couldn't help but think during the movie that they had him do some push-ups between filming scenes.

A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

imin
Valinor

Aug 27 2012, 6:10pm

Post #11 of 54 (605 views)
Shortcut
Ripped to shreds? [In reply to] Can't Post

He is in shape and has muscular biceps but he is not ripped. He doesn't have a six pack for starters. He is a classic case of working out for films. As in no muscular development of note anywhere but biceps which i guess isn't that bad but (for me) is distracting.

The other guy in the movie who was an agent (black guy) now he was muscular and more ripped but probably got the role because of that rather than acting ability, unlike Renner who is a good actor.

Oh and Ed Norton was great, really liked him in the film.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Aug 27 2012, 7:08pm

Post #12 of 54 (561 views)
Shortcut
Fast Five [In reply to] Can't Post

Call it a guilty pleasure... I've seen it at least 5 times.

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on 0 secs ago)

imin
Valinor

Aug 27 2012, 7:16pm

Post #13 of 54 (574 views)
Shortcut
Would never have thought you would like that :P [In reply to] Can't Post

But that's great! Its also a guilty pleasure of mine Smile

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Aug 27 2012, 7:25pm

Post #14 of 54 (561 views)
Shortcut
"That's how we roll, we roll like this..." [In reply to] Can't Post

w00t Laugh

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on 0 secs ago)

diedye
Grey Havens

Aug 27 2012, 8:15pm

Post #15 of 54 (545 views)
Shortcut
T2... [In reply to] Can't Post

... which I think is the best of the Terminator movies (although eye-candy-wise, I'd have to say T4 'cause of Sam Worthington Heart ) .

Blessed are the cracked,
For they are the ones who let in the light!

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 27 2012, 9:04pm

Post #16 of 54 (535 views)
Shortcut
Back from Brave (mild spoilers enclosed within) [In reply to] Can't Post

Who says a grown man can't enjoy an animated film?! They seem to be my preference at the moment! Wink

As a whole, it was a great animated film. The only problem was that I had guessed the entire end after the Witch's first appearance. Which was a shame, because I was expecting everything to happen ... even the falling of the stone killing the bear. I don't know if that's simply because the plot was simple, or I'm just too clever for Pixar Wink. I'll let you decide on that.

It was also the best animated film I've seen in 3D. They didn't overdo it at all.

No Hobbit trailer though .... Frown .... and why did they feel the need to edit it? Brave had far "scarier" moments in it for youngins than the trailer!

Starling
Half-elven

Aug 28 2012, 8:44am

Post #17 of 54 (603 views)
Shortcut
My Week with Marilyn [In reply to] Can't Post

Which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Starling
Half-elven

Aug 28 2012, 8:57am

Post #18 of 54 (641 views)
Shortcut
Oh, and, The Big Country [In reply to] Can't Post

A most excellent and exciting western, with a top-notch cast, including an Oscar-winning turn from Burl Ives. You just can't beat a great western, and this one is a cracking watch.

sherlock
Gondor

Aug 28 2012, 12:38pm

Post #19 of 54 (571 views)
Shortcut
I tried to talk my granddaughter into seeing [In reply to] Can't Post

ParaNorman at the movies but she said it was too scary. This from the same kid who called me up when she was five & said she wanted to see Coraline because "I'm five years old & won't be scared!" Well, it did scare her quite a bit & me too but I still loved it! I might have to see ParaNorman by myself & hopefully it will have The Hobbit trailer!

Annael
Half-elven

Aug 28 2012, 3:13pm

Post #20 of 54 (544 views)
Shortcut
perhaps not, but [In reply to] Can't Post

he'll do.

Actually, I'm a bit put off by the "gym rat" look now so popular in films. It makes sense for superheroes to look that way, but real people who spend that much time on how they look are rarely people I want to know.

imin
Valinor

Aug 28 2012, 3:46pm

Post #21 of 54 (476 views)
Shortcut
Yeah i know what you mean [In reply to] Can't Post

though for the current generation of uni students i have seen a fast and massive increase in the number of students going to gyms and getting in shape (this could just be in my city though i dunno). It is a good thing, i think, because as a nation (UK) we are overweight and need to get into having a healthy lifestyle. I wouldnt call a gym rat a healthy lifestyle as its not good to be obsessed over anything but there are probably worse things at the same time and i have made many good friends from bumping into them at the gym sharing 'meat head' tips, haha.

From my time in Cali i found people went one of two ways - super in shape, to the point it made me feel bad for not being ripped to the bone. Or really overweight, kinda like they just went - cant be bothered! I these attitudes are wrong as they both take it too far, so maybe the US gym rat is a lil more obsessed than the UK gym rat - one thing i know, US men are way more muscular on average than UK men (from seeing people day to day)

I also think (from being very in shape) that you dont need to be a gym rat, most comes from diet and how disciplined one is in the kitchen. I know for myself if i were as disciplined as i was before - which was not even that much, just eating a healthy diet and not eating takeouts etc, then i get into shape - obviously you have to put on a bit of muscle from weight training but that's easy. If you are someone who likes categories i am a endo-mesomorph though im pretty sure that concept has been proven to a bit useless, lol.

I dunno i just expected him to be a tiny bit more in shape seeing as he is meant to be a highly trained, exercised and intelligent person, but he will do Tongue

Carne
Tol Eressea

Aug 28 2012, 6:25pm

Post #22 of 54 (549 views)
Shortcut
The Cabin in the Woods [In reply to] Can't Post

If you expect a normal horror movie, don't, it's much better Smile

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Aug 28 2012, 7:28pm

Post #23 of 54 (525 views)
Shortcut
I am very impatient for this film to get to my neck of the woods. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm pinning my hopes on the local International Film Festival, which is a couple of months away.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Annael
Half-elven

Aug 29 2012, 3:01am

Post #24 of 54 (545 views)
Shortcut
I don't like horror but [In reply to] Can't Post

after reading the reviews, esp. Mary Ann Johanson's, I can't wait to see this.

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Aug 29 2012, 5:30am

Post #25 of 54 (516 views)
Shortcut
Mission Impossible and The Agony and The Ecstasy [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never been a huge fan of Tom Cruise, but after re-watching War of the Worlds a few weeks ago, and remembering a superb performance in Minority Report, I've started warming up to him. Mission Impossible is terribly campy, just like it's TV counterpart, but I still think he, and the other actors, did a great job of pulling it off.

As far as The Agony and the Ecstasy - a story about Michelangelo's painting of the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel, it's hard to beat Charlton Heston (Michelangelo) and Rex Harrison (Pope Julius II) playing opposite each other. IMHO, it's some of the best acting Heston did - playing the conflicted, and sometimes doubtful, Michelangelo: supremely confident in himself as a sculptor, but hesitant to take on such a big project as a painter. I've seen the Sistine Chapel, so it was a real treat to see a story about its evolution, no matter how dramatized by Hollywood.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.