Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Get to know your TORNsibs!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Aug 27 2012, 6:59am

Post #1 of 71 (778 views)
Shortcut
Get to know your TORNsibs! Can't Post

The very irregular series of questions that gives us more insight into our fellow Tolkien fans. :)

1) What super-power would you like to have?

2) What childhood toy did you love playing with?

3) If you could bring back one TV series (as an original or a reboot), what would it be?

4) Do you have a famous, infamous, criminal or virtuous relative in your family tree?

5) If you were able to get a working version of any object from SF/F that you can hold in your hand or wear, what would you choose?

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Aug 27 2012, 8:57am

Post #2 of 71 (393 views)
Shortcut
Oh, my! [In reply to] Can't Post

1) What super-power would you like to have? I have no idea. I am afraid I have very little knowledge of super-powers. I wasn't allowed to read super hero comics as a child, but I guess telepathy. The ability to inject a little social responsibility into some people would be nice!!

2) What childhood toy did you love playing with? Mostly I read. I played very little with toys -- I have always loved books.

3) If you could bring back one TV series (as an original or a reboot), what would it be? None I think. I would like to see some again, but the world has changed; and I have changed and would I enjoy old TV series as much?

4) Do you have a famous, infamous, criminal or virtuous relative in your family tree? I don't know of any criminals, but I do have a saint in the family tree -- St. Brigitta of Sweden.

5) If you were able to get a working version of any object from SF/F that you can hold in your hand or wear, what would you choose? I would like one of the computer systems from Robert Heinlein's Methuselah's Children series. They could run your whole house. I want a computer that sounds like an English butler to answer my phone and screen my calls!

geordie
Tol Eressea

Aug 27 2012, 10:08am

Post #3 of 71 (393 views)
Shortcut
Ah, a subject after my own heart.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Let's see -

I'd like to fly like Superman. I wouldn't want to have to wear the cape and the underpants-over the-trousers look; but I would like to be able to breathe normally and not feel the cold, whatever the altitude.

Toy soldiers - started with shootin' them down with a toy cannon, then went on to playing simple war-games with my brother. Come to think of it, this is tied to books - let's see - yes, many years later, I found out that the modern table-top war game owes a lot to H.G. Wells; here's a copy of his book 'Little Wars', first published in 1913. Though my copy is the 2nd printing, 1931. See? *holds it up to the screen...

3) If you could bring back one TV series (as an original or a reboot), what would it be?

hard to say - I think I'd like the BBC to magically unearth every single episode of 'Hancock's half-hour'. I have the dvd boxed set of the surviving TV episodes of course; but I need all of 'em - and all of the radio series, too.

4) Do you have a famous, infamous, criminal or virtuous relative in your family tree?

Not as far as i know - I somewhat shamefacedly admit that, because of my studies, I know more about the Tolkiens' family history than I do about my own. AFAIK, my own family just consists of some good, some bad, and mostly in-between. Like the folk of Wootton Major.

5) If you were able to get a working version of any object from SF/F that you can hold in your hand or wear, what would you choose?

Dunno - if you'd asked me that many years ago, I might have plumped for that device from the Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy - the one which makes all the molecules in a targetted area move one foot to the left. IIRC, the inventor just used it on the clothing of attractive young women at parties. *ahem. But now I'm a grandad - far too old to be thinking of such scurrilous inventions...

Wink

Noel Q. von Schneiffel
Rivendell

Aug 27 2012, 10:24am

Post #4 of 71 (370 views)
Shortcut
Everything you didn't want to know [In reply to] Can't Post

I would like to be able to shoot Tolkien books from my nostrils. It would greatly aid me in my battles against heretics. I would simply sneeze into their faces, and a large Tolkien book would fly out and knock them unconscious! And if there were no heretics around, I could blow my nose into my bookshelf and would have something new to read.

A Peter Jackson voodoo doll.

My Little Pony. Hey, a man can have one guilty pleasure, right?

I wouldn't know. I was found drifting in a wicker basket.

Just a little one of those Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans. Pipeweed flavour, please.

The Glorious Truth of J.R.R. Tolkien
Radiates from his Holy Writings

http://www.tolkientruth.info/

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Aug 27 2012, 10:43am

Post #5 of 71 (365 views)
Shortcut
My list [In reply to] Can't Post

1 flying

2 star wars figures

3 Buck Rogers (80's D&D cartoon a close second, Blakes 7 in third place, I know I am just greedy.......or a decent Robin Hood like the one with Michael Praed)

4 gollum

5 lukes green lightsaber

I am not sure if I should be proud or ashamed of how nerdy that list is.

geordie
Tol Eressea

Aug 27 2012, 10:54am

Post #6 of 71 (342 views)
Shortcut
Be proud! Nerds, unite! :-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

geordie
Tol Eressea

Aug 27 2012, 10:55am

Post #7 of 71 (350 views)
Shortcut
I wish I'd thought of that.. [In reply to] Can't Post

- a. pJ voodoo doll, *chuckle... I'll check Amazon; maybe there's a set...
Laugh

Delrond
Rohan

Aug 27 2012, 11:14am

Post #8 of 71 (365 views)
Shortcut
Holds nose and jumps into the deep end of the pool. [In reply to] Can't Post

1) What super-power would you like to have? To be able to breathe under water. I love the ocean and would throughly enjoy a swim with the dolphins whenever the mood hits me. Plus, think of all the cool shells one could find. One less thing to worry about as well - I can't drown. Smile

2) What childhood toy did you love playing with? My Tonka Trucks. Specifically the steam shovel and back hoe.

3) If you could bring back one TV series (as an original or a reboot), what would it be? Seinfeld. I've never gotten over this series ending. Always made me laugh.

4) Do you have a famous, infamous, criminal or virtuous relative in your family tree? After having extensive genealogy performed on both my maternal and paternal sides, nothing of note really pops up. There was the occasional kerfuffle and perhaps a shooting, but that wasn't unheard of 200-300 years ago. Reach for the sky...

5) If you were able to get a working version of any object from SF/F that you can hold in your hand or wear, what would you choose? Green Lantern's ring.

A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 27 2012, 11:47am

Post #9 of 71 (339 views)
Shortcut
Love these type of things! [In reply to] Can't Post

Immortality - I can't deal with death, it's almost a fear. My partner is an A&E nurse ... I can't listen to her stories. I would like to live forever, please!

LEGO (and other similar "construction" toys) were ... and still are ... my favourite toys. Never too old to build something from LEGO.

I would reboot LOST simply for the reason that the ending left a bad taste in my mouth!

I did, but if I told you, I'd have to kill you. Tongue

I presume SF/F means Sci-fi/Fantasy? I would first use the Doctor's TARDIS to explore time and space, then I'd go off an find Middle-earth and steal Morgoth's Crown! Sly

sador
Half-elven

Aug 27 2012, 12:29pm

Post #10 of 71 (340 views)
Shortcut
Are you sure you want to know me? [In reply to] Can't Post

One which would materially help in controlling the children...

I didn't really. I was either reading or making stupid lists. I made lists about sports, chess, politics, popular songs, history (real or feigned, as the professor said), schoolmates. I was viewed as a real wierdo.
It was beyond anyone guess that in the Information Age, my obsession would become an advantage.

Probably Yes Minister.
Would I view it? I don't know, but I would be sorely tempted to.

Several of my family were executed during WWII, for the crime or virtue of their ancestry.
My grandfather served a year in prison in communist Roumania, for the crime of illegally selling luxury items (such as scented soap).
According to his version, the real crime was applying for a passport.

Irrelevant.
Once I lay my hands upon it, it won't work anymore.

"In the morning Bilbo misses breakfast. – is this the most unbelievable part of this chapter?"
- Elven

The weekly discussion of The Hobbit is back. Join us in the Reading Room for a somewhat less clever discussion of Queer Lodgings!

Escapist
Gondor

Aug 27 2012, 12:48pm

Post #11 of 71 (333 views)
Shortcut
Yes, these are quite popular - people like to know "who" they are talking to don't they? [In reply to] Can't Post

Or at least they like the feeling of thinking they know ...

Not needing to eat.

I played outside most of the time. We had toys but they mostly sat on shelves.

The X-files (reboot)

Not very close or that I am aware of - we stay out of the public eye - not to hide anything, just because we like to simplify life and chill out playing games and escaping to the north woods "away from it all".

SF/F ? what ?
If this is Sci-fi / Fantasy then I'd go for the VR room in Star Trek.

Show or do not show, there is no tell.

(This post was edited by Escapist on Aug 27 2012, 12:50pm)

lyndomiel
Rivendell

Aug 27 2012, 1:20pm

Post #12 of 71 (338 views)
Shortcut
fun, if only.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Teleportation - I would love to have dinner in France, Italy or San Francisco any night. Really a transporter would be better.

Trolls - I still have about 20 of them which have been passed on to nieces and then back to me. Complete with a troll house. Can't part with them. That was pre-Tolkien for me - an early indication of my preferences in books and entertainment.

I have to agree that a redo of the Lost ending would be nice, but I wouldn't want to go through the weekly cliff hanger/unanswered question thing again. That got tiresome after a while. Still, I wish I could see Sawyer again. (I used to want more Star Wars, but that didn't turn out very well).

I have a great, great, great, maybe another great uncle who was a General in the British army, became renowned in the Crimean War where he got his nickname Charles "Chinese" Gordon. Then, after rescuing 2500 British citizens from Khartoum in the Sudan, being a bit of a religious fanatic, he refused to surrender the town to the Muslim leader (against orders). He led a small party of soldiers to hold the town under siege for about a year. The British government hated him, but Queen Victoria and the public loved him, so they sent a rescue mission. Two days before they arrived the siege was broken and he was speared and beheaded, but even though his body was never recovered, he got a tomb and effigy at St. Paul's Cathedral. They made a movie about it in the sixties - "Khartoum" with Charleston Heston as Gordon and Lawrence Olivier as the Mahdi.

5) If you were able to get a working version of any object from SF/F that you can hold in your hand or wear, what would you choose? A wand. Small, light and very useful. (if I could learn how to use it.)

TomthePilgrim
Rohan

Aug 27 2012, 2:36pm

Post #13 of 71 (326 views)
Shortcut
K . . . let's see . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

1) What super-power would you like to have? Flying . . . it would make even the commute to work fun!

2) What childhood toy did you love playing with? Legos . . . they had recently come to America, and I was a Lego freak. & Matchbox cars, and my little plastic soldiers, and . . .

3) If you could bring back one TV series (as an original or a reboot), what would it be? standard answer here . . . Star Trek. Got to see them when they were original shown, got to see them lots and lots in reruns . . . The new reboot film was great, but I miss the weekly series . . .

4) Do you have a famous, infamous, criminal or virtuous relative in your family tree? not really, just common folk . . . although my cousin Judy has traced our ancestory back through one of Lafayette's officers and back to Louis XIV . . . . . . . . .

5) If you were able to get a working version of any object from SF/F that you can hold in your hand or wear, what would you choose? Well of course it would be . . . . . . . . . My Precious! From the Hobbit era, of course! Wink

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began
Now far ahead the Road has gone
And I must follow, if I can

"Thorin sat up with a start. 'Something is not right,' he muttered to himself as he stood up and
looked towards the mirror . . . . . . . . . 'Durin's bones', he gasped, 'what's happened to my beard?'"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 27 2012, 2:47pm

Post #14 of 71 (330 views)
Shortcut
*geeky hand clapping* Cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love these! You should do a variation for our Hobbit Party on Sept 22 ;) *hint, hint*

Lemmie see...

Flight (non-flapping). Ever since I was a very little girl, I dreamt I could just lift off the ground and fly all around my yard and trees... and that, when I wasn't flying, birds would land on my shoulders or arms and visit me... sans poop, of course!

I had a spot on my dresser that was set back from the front, and I'd gather up all sorts of little oddiments (game pieces, bottle caps, spools, pebbles, etc) and some modelling clay and build my own little world/activity. Usually a few little homes where the timble-people and plastic figures would move around and live their little imaginary lives. And the one representing me could fly ;)

*twitch* Just One!? omg Star Trek... or Emergency. Sorry. Couldn't help myself ;)

Nope. We be common little drones living our lives blissfully invisible and fan free ;)

Oh... great question! Wow... A wand. Yeah... I'd like a wand that would do my bidding!

Thanks Ataahua! That was really fun :)

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Aug 27 2012, 2:48pm)

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Aug 27 2012, 2:54pm

Post #15 of 71 (318 views)
Shortcut
Out of curisoty, where does TORNsibs come from? [In reply to] Can't Post

And why not TORNistas or TORNadoes?

TORNsibs just seems a bit...awkward.

TomthePilgrim
Rohan

Aug 27 2012, 2:57pm

Post #16 of 71 (326 views)
Shortcut
Oh, Oh . . . . . . . . . TORNites. [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh
I prefer 'The Folk of TORN' myself.

"Thorin sat up with a start. 'Something is not right,' he muttered to himself as he stood up and
looked towards the mirror . . . . . . . . . 'Durin's bones', he gasped, 'what's happened to my beard?'"

(This post was edited by TomthePilgrim on Aug 27 2012, 2:59pm)

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Aug 27 2012, 3:19pm

Post #17 of 71 (347 views)
Shortcut
Don't you know me by now? [In reply to] Can't Post

1) Super-power? Flying. Not the arm-flapping variety, but the Superman, Iron Man, swooping-through-the-air kind. Starting out almost like the running-up-the-building stuff from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. I used to dream I could fly like that when I was little. CTHD is the closest thing I've ever seen to what I used to dream.

2) Childhood toy? I was going to say Star Wars guys or Little People (when they were made of wood and not as stupid-looking) or Tonka trucks or stuff like that. And while I did play with all those things, there was one other thing that accompanied it all: dirt. My brothers and I had a fantastic "park" behind our house that had fruit trees and flower beds and lots of dirt. Since we lived on a ranch, there was plenty of room, and we had lots of area reserved just for us. We could dig as many holes as we wanted. We could pile up the dirt for mountains, volcanoes, prisons, forts and villages. There was nearby water hose, too, for moats, rivers and "lava". So yeah. Dirt. Laugh

3) TV series? I was going to say Vicar of Dibley, or Gilligan's Island, or The Little Rascals. I wouldn't want a reboot, but reruns would be nice. Then I saw Delrond's answer. Seinfeld. Yes, more Seinfeld, please. At least it is re run all the time, though.

4) Relatives? Well, there's Allan Tudyk, whose last name is the same as my maiden name. My father always said that all Tudyks are related, but I've never checked it out. He is from Dallas, though, so it is highly likely. If I look at him long enough, he starts to resemble my brother. And my maternal grandfather had an uncle (at least I think it was an uncle) who was a Rough Rider. I suppose I need to check up on this stuff some day.

5) Sci Fi/Fantasy thing? Well, the first thought was, um, the Precious, but really, who has time for all that drama? Then I thought I might like Nenya, you know, for growing things in my little droughty corner of Ithilien. But I think I would really want a wand. Especially one like Mrs. Weasley's, that will cook and wash the dishes. Laugh

And suddenly the Tornadoes saw afar off a greenlight, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame;
and they knew that this was no vision only, but that PJ had made a new thing: The Hobbit, the Film that Is.

Noel Q. von Schneiffel
Rivendell

Aug 27 2012, 3:20pm

Post #18 of 71 (292 views)
Shortcut
SF/F [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

I presume SF/F means Sci-fi/Fantasy?

Really? I thought it was a fanfic category. "F" would obviously indicate gender, and "S" is probably one of these things the mods don't allow us to talk about here. Blush

The Glorious Truth of J.R.R. Tolkien
Radiates from his Holy Writings

http://www.tolkientruth.info/

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Aug 27 2012, 3:22pm

Post #19 of 71 (317 views)
Shortcut
Well, [In reply to] Can't Post

back in the mists of time, many of the regulars of TORn developed a special bond and kinship along the lines and feelings of siblings. Many had met in RL, and formed RL friendships and such.

Others of us prefer TORnadoes, as it is a little less touchy-feely. Smile

And suddenly the Tornadoes saw afar off a greenlight, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame;
and they knew that this was no vision only, but that PJ had made a new thing: The Hobbit, the Film that Is.

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 27 2012, 3:24pm

Post #20 of 71 (303 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, a new one! I love them [In reply to] Can't Post

And my answers:

Sometimes mind-reading. Not all the time, that would be too much noise.
And I would like to be able to time travel.

We had something called "mini-steck". It was a plate with small even holes in them. And onto it you placed various shapes of coloured plastic. And in the end you would get a picture of whatever you were making. (something like this)

There was one, long, long ago. It was something animated from Japan. It was about a little girl Annemarie Wink who was a detective and always found the bad guys before the police did. (this is the Dutch opening, bad quality, but such fond memories)

Not that I can name one. But my branch of the family is the bad one. There is one branch that is related to nobility, but the Earl of that branch did research and invited everybody to a party. And we weren't invited Frown. Apparently the other branch (us) were from a far away relative who got disowned and started a rebel gang after that.
But my family has me of course, so we will get there some day.

The wand from the fairy godmother in Cinderella. I would magic up a beautiful dress every day Smile.

(This post was edited by Rosie-with-the-ribbons on Aug 27 2012, 3:25pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 27 2012, 3:27pm

Post #21 of 71 (347 views)
Shortcut
you can turn that around... [In reply to] Can't Post

to TORn Folk or TORnfolk... which I will use when TORnsib seems too familiar.

I use TORnsib when talking about people I actually know off the boards (either by way of meeting them in real life or having a more personal relationship online but off boards)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

TomthePilgrim
Rohan

Aug 27 2012, 3:47pm

Post #22 of 71 (283 views)
Shortcut
I've been using Folk of Torn for a while now . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

. . . hoping it would catch on, like Sheldon's use of 'prevening' on TBBT. Keep hoping it will catch on . . .
TORnfolk could work . . . hmmmmmm . . . Wink

TomthePilgrim
Rohan

Aug 27 2012, 3:49pm

Post #23 of 71 (283 views)
Shortcut
also . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

. . . looks like we both changed our avatar recently . . .

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Aug 27 2012, 3:50pm

Post #24 of 71 (285 views)
Shortcut
I see [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks.

Seems a bit creepy, really! Smile

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Aug 27 2012, 3:51pm

Post #25 of 71 (303 views)
Shortcut
Oh! My turn! [In reply to] Can't Post

Invisibility. There's so much you could do and learn! Also, Immortality, time travel and infinite knowledge are ultimate fantasies for me.

Always loved superheroes. I'd often use stop-motion to animate my figures and make little stories.

Mighty Max! Loved all those early 90s cartoons as a kid and loved the toys.

My great great great (I don't know how many greats) uncle is Mark Twain!

I'd give 2 of my left fingers for an Æsahættr that could take me to Middle-earth Evil

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Aug 27 2012, 3:56pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.