Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
SCOD "I will not let the White City fall, nor our people fail."
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Aug 26 2012, 4:33am

Post #1 of 30 (1153 views)
Shortcut
SCOD "I will not let the White City fall, nor our people fail." Can't Post

Well apart from being a little late, choosing a cap from today's section (part 64) was difficult because it is the scene where Boromir dies. Yet it is a great scene for more Aragorn action as well...

In the end I chose this one:

Larger image here.

Questions:

1. The line accompanying the image reads "But I swear to you, I will not let the White City fall, nor our people fail." Aragorn says this in response to Boromir's lament: "It is over. The world of Men will fall." Why would Boromir say such a thing, with Aragorn hovering over him?

2. Aragorn is fresh from a boss battle with Lurtz, looking a little worse for wear. Do you find the blood on his face distracting, or does it enhance this scene somehow?

3. Looking again at Aragorn's face (there's not much else to do really) what do you think was going through his mind just now? I'm interested here in your ideas as brought forth by Viggo's expression here, more so than your impression of the story to this point.

4. Is there any love here?

Bonus: How does being able to view such a private moment affect you? In other words does it seem natural to you be able to witness such moments?

Thank you for your participation this week!

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on 0 secs ago)

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Aug 26 2012, 4:39am)

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Aug 26 2012, 7:01am

Post #2 of 30 (576 views)
Shortcut
Great shot of a wonderful performance [In reply to] Can't Post

1. The line accompanying the image reads "But I swear to you, I will not let the White City fall, nor our people fail." Aragorn says this in response to Boromir's lament: "It is over. The world of Men will fall." Why would Boromir say such a thing, with Aragorn hovering over him?

Maybe it's just me, but in the film, I felt that Aragorn always had the intention of going with Frodo to Mount Doom, at least after Gandalf's fall. So, in keeping with the film version's internal logic (or my understanding of it), Boromir assumes that Aragorn will go with Frodo and leave Gondor to its fate. He also still doubts the possibility of success for Frodo's quest, especially in his last moment of despair.

2. Aragorn is fresh from a boss battle with Lurtz, looking a little worse for wear. Do you find the blood on his face distracting, or does it enhance this scene somehow?

For me, it adds to the feeling of intensity and immediacy.

3. Looking again at Aragorn's face (there's not much else to do really) what do you think was going through his mind just now? I'm interested here in your ideas as brought forth by Viggo's expression here, more so than your impression of the story to this point.

As epitomized in this shot, Viggo portrays Aragorn as a very compassionate and even nurturing man. I feel like Aragorn sees a valiant warrior struggling with guilt, anguish, and in a lot of physical pain; he wants to comfort and reassure Boromir the best he can in his last moments.

Definitely.

Bonus: How does being able to view such a private moment affect you? In other words does it seem natural to you be able to witness such moments?

If it hadn't been handled so artfully, or acted so beautifully, it might not have felt natural. Fortunately, all involved were at their best here and it makes for an incredibly moving moment.

Thanks SirD! I know it must have been a difficult choice, but it was a good one.Smile

Nightingale
Rohan

Aug 26 2012, 11:40am

Post #3 of 30 (569 views)
Shortcut
Not trusting myself to answer; Must. Restrain. Fangirl... [In reply to] Can't Post

although I must just show my appreciation for

Looking again at Aragorn's face (there's not much else to do really)

Literally laughed out loud. Laugh Oh, how right you are.

I'll be back when I can think of something sensible to say. Sorry for the small OT Evil

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me" - C. S. Lewis

"That line between the earth and sky came beckoning to me..." - Laurie's Song

Kassandros
Rohan

Aug 26 2012, 5:07pm

Post #4 of 30 (521 views)
Shortcut
Our people... [In reply to] Can't Post

1. The line accompanying the image reads "But I swear to you, I will not let the White City fall, nor our people fail." Aragorn says this in response to Boromir's lament: "It is over. The world of
Men will fall." Why would Boromir say such a thing, with Aragorn hovering over him?

I think it's easy to see why Boromir feels hopeless right now. On the one hand, he has seen how weak he is and finally understood how dangerous the ring is to those who are around it. On the other, he has just failed to protect the Merry and Pippin and is dying himself. So one third of the Fellowship is dead or captured and as far as he knows, Frodo is alone and vulnerable.

It does seem something of a "setup" line for the rest of the dialog, though. Aragorn's line and Boromir's response are two of the greatest in the trilogy.

This is one of my favorite scenes and I have watched this movie countless times and I have to admit, I never even noticed the blood before now! It's possible that it's a bit hard to see through the tears. So I don't think it's distracting. It probably enhances the scene by making them seem like they've just been in a battle. Really, the lack of it would be more distracting, because it would take you out of the movie and make you feel like you were in a Soap Opera. Kind of the impression of how I imagine Twilight is, though I've never seen those movies myself. (Did Howard Shore really do one of the scores? I found that searching on YouTube...)

Sorrow and love, perhaps?

Aragorn is clearly leaning in for a kiss, so I think what we have here is some classic yaoi featuring two incredibly attractive bishounen. Kidding, kidding... though I did go to Trilogy Tuesday with a couple ladies who were very much into yaoi. They, however, tended to be more interested in Legolas.

Anyway, in all seriousness, yes, I think there is love. I'm not entirely sure how it developed, though. Perhaps based on a common love of Gondor? I think, in the end, Aragorn becomes a messianic figure for Boromir, so I guess it's easier to understand that way. Perhaps Aragorn sees the weaker parts of himself in Boromir. He represents the weakness of Isildur since he fell to the ring as well, but perhaps redeemed himself by dying trying to protect the hobbits?

Perfectly natural. Perhaps I don't quite understand the question, cause I expect to see private moments of characters in movies. Aragorn is our hero, why should we not see his private moments?

Great questions! Obviously this is one of the most beloved scenes in the trilogy, but you brought a new perspective to it.

all we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us...

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Aug 26 2012, 5:37pm

Post #5 of 30 (510 views)
Shortcut
A question about SCODs [In reply to] Can't Post

Are we supposed to be focusing on the image - the screencap - or the scene that the image comes from?

DesiringDragons
Lorien

Aug 26 2012, 7:52pm

Post #6 of 30 (494 views)
Shortcut
Two heroes, one of them tragic. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Boromir had doubts about the quest from the very start. (This is more clear in the book, when he arrives in Rivendell to ask for aid, and instead ends up on a journey he never counted on nor understood completely. I always had the feeling that Boromir wondered on some - possibly subconsious - level whether he wasn't letting his people down by joining the company.) He's been on the front lines of the war with Mordor; the others haven't, and he truly believes that the defense of Gondor, not the destruction of the Ring, is the key to winning the War.

I don't mind the blood; I think the fact that Aragorn is bloodied and completely ignores it in order to see to Boromir speaks volumes about Aragorn's character and his priorities. So it enhances the scene. (....And I feel bad for this next part, but can we talk about Aragorn's hair? It's greasy and stringy throughout the entire trilogy until the end, and that I do find distracting. Sorry, Viggo. It's like the Elves and Wizards used up all of the shampoo in Middle-Earth or something.)

It's sheer sorrow, mingled perhaps with the regret that he (Aragorn) couldn't have been in two places at once and fought by Boromir's side.

Definitely. Love and respect for a comrade, a brave warrior, and a valiant Man, who meant well, for all his flaws.

Cinema is by its nature a bit voyeuristic: we are privy to parts of the lives of fictional characters we'd never see in real life situations. It's one of its strengths, that we can observe at times like this. It does seem natural, because you get completely caught up in the story, and even though on some level you know that these are actors and there's a camera crew behind them, you're never aware of it while you're watching.

"I would have followed you, my brother, my captain, my king."

...and the tears start to fall.

GoodGuyA
Lorien

Aug 26 2012, 11:27pm

Post #7 of 30 (448 views)
Shortcut
Whatever the poster chooses! [In reply to] Can't Post

There is no single way to analyze an image. We've had a few very unique takes on how to look at the whole process, like the great double panelling from a few weeks ago. It's however we tend to look at the scene itself.

Harold.of.Whoa
Rivendell

Aug 26 2012, 11:59pm

Post #8 of 30 (451 views)
Shortcut
Free form, I think [In reply to] Can't Post

Since the subject line was "about SCODs," I interpret your question to be about the form, in general, and not this particular image. The sign-up sheet for hosting includes this note:

Three or four questions should do. Anything is fair game in these. Previously, we've talked about changes from the book, technical aspects of the scene (cinematography, editing, score, lighting, etc), acting, props, or you could talk about a controversial question you remember us discussing at one point. Remember these are just suggestions. Feel free to ask anything you want to know more about.

I do like the broader format; composition and lighting discussions can only go so far.

Escapist
Gondor

Aug 27 2012, 12:57am

Post #9 of 30 (452 views)
Shortcut
Compassion and understanding [In reply to] Can't Post

I found this theme running through the whole of LOTR very compelling. Boromir knows who Aragorn is. Maybe he is sharing a burden that he had been carrying for the protection and survival of men under his protection and authority.

I think the blood somehow draws a connection between himself and Boromir.
The blood is on the edges of the nose and mouth so it is definitely a wounding thing (wounds from a shared enemy).

I think he shares in a feeling of responsibility towards a common people and suffering against a common enemy. I see compassion and understanding.

I think so.

I guess this is something I stopped questioning a long time ago being a person who has read so many books and seen so many movies.
I feel the moment is an important one because it reveals common story threads that run through Aragorn and Boromir together.

Show or do not show, there is no tell.

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 27 2012, 1:28am

Post #10 of 30 (493 views)
Shortcut
"It is over. The world of Men will fall." [In reply to] Can't Post

Q: Why would Boromir say such a thing, with Aragorn hovering over him?

I think, that Boromir has felt kind of alone. On one hand, he feels Gondor is alone. He said it during the Council: "Long has my father, the Steward of Gondor, kept the forces of Mordor at bay. By the blood of our people are your lands kept safe!"

But I think he also feels he, himself, shoulders the burden that is Gondor's mostly alone. "My father is a noble man, but his rule is failing. And now our…our people lose faith. He looks to me to make things right and I— I would do it. I would see the glory of Gondor restored."

Remember also, that the extended scene we get in TTT happened before this moment in FOTR. Denethor has pretty much all his expectations riding on Boromir bringing him the Ring. "you are strong. And our need is great. It is our blood which is being spilled, our people who are dying. Sauron is biding his time. He's massing fresh armies. He will return. And when he does, we will be powerless to stop him. You must go. Bring me back this mighty gift" And although Boromir values and loves his brother, his father has no faith in Faramir whom he tells, "I trust this mission only to your brother. The one who will not fail me."

Aragorn is the heir to Isildur but he's spent his life avoiding that role. And Boromir was unaware of him before the Council. He's lived his life with no thought to a King as has Denethor before him. Now, he can perhaps hold out some hope that Aragorn can step into the responsibilities that had been set before him (Boromir).

But I don't think that's where Boromir's mind is going now... at the end of his life. "The one who will not fail me." is how his Father called him. But Boromir has failed. He's failed his father and he's failed the Fellowship and he's failed Frodo and he's failed Merry and Frodo and, as far as he can see it, he's failed Gondor. The task was set to him and he failed.

My heart goes out to him. To face such failure with such self awareness. I've always admired him because he is self aware. Even without all the added drama the movie adds, book-Boromir knows he's done wrong by Frodo and he faces that and rises above to be a better person as he defends Merry and Pippin. And the movie gives me such a strong image of this rising soul - as he runs, runs, runs toward the two Hobbits and defends them with his life.

And, even though I don't think this figures into Boromir's thoughts at this moment, Aragorn isn't necessarily the hope for Gondor that Boromir thinks is needed. Nor the hope that Denethor believes is needed. When it comes down to it, Aragorn realizes that Gondor may fall but that his greater duty is to Frodo and the destruction of the Ring. Boromir was a son of Gondor where Aragorn will become a King of Middle-earth. The loyalties and duties are different for each.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on Aug 27 2012, 1:29am)

weaver
Half-elven

Aug 27 2012, 1:35am

Post #11 of 30 (446 views)
Shortcut
Originally, it was just the image, but it's hard to stick to that most of the time... [In reply to] Can't Post

Way back when SCOD started, we were also doing Scene Discussions, based on the chapter list from the TE Disks and then the EE Disks and then we did the Annotated discussions (which focused on the commentaries for each scene) and then we got tired I guess!

So to keep SCOD from competing with the various scene discussions, SCOD was supposed to only focus on the image posted -- how it was composed, lighted, the expression of the actor, etc.

But since we've got a new folks who weren't part of those earlier Scene Discussions and since we haven't done those for an age, it makes sense that right now the image ends up being the jumping off point for the entire scene, or other things, rather than just about the image.

Here are some links to examples of the some of the prior scene discussions, and a SCOD from long ago, so you can see where we were vs. where we are...

Annotated Scene Discussion example
EE Scene Discussion example
TE Scene Discussion example
Old SCOD Discussion example

We also did some discussions on the Appendices features on the TE and EE disks, though I am not sure we ever got to them all!

I have thought from time to time that if there are enough new folks interested, we might try another round of Scene Discussions of some kind -- any thoughts on that? We basically organized it the same way, one leader for the week with a person coordinated sign ups...

Weaver

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 27 2012, 1:39am

Post #12 of 30 (447 views)
Shortcut
resources for old discussions of all sorts [In reply to] Can't Post

http://mathom-house.net/...LinksCollectionIndex

browse at your leisure. :-)

weaver
Half-elven

Aug 27 2012, 1:59am

Post #13 of 30 (417 views)
Shortcut
I was hoping you'd come along with the Mathom House keys! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love what you've done with the place.... Smile

Weaver

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Aug 27 2012, 2:09am

Post #14 of 30 (458 views)
Shortcut
Why yes... yes he did [In reply to] Can't Post

Shore scored Twilight Eclipse. Jacob's Theme was particularly moving.

ps ill return to yours and the rest of the excellent posts here when I'm not on an android... the answers are so exciting i just had to pop in for a tic
Smile

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 27 2012, 2:10am

Post #15 of 30 (431 views)
Shortcut
Credit for the discussion collections go mostly to Peredhil lover [In reply to] Can't Post

I collected a few that were short lived and mostly music based. But she's the one who's done the massive collection that is available on the Mathom-house.

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 27 2012, 2:12am

Post #16 of 30 (424 views)
Shortcut
I quite enjoy the Twilight score - and I've never seen the movies. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Harold.of.Whoa
Rivendell

Aug 27 2012, 2:12am

Post #17 of 30 (464 views)
Shortcut
Our people [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Boromir has taken upon himself the burden of being the last best hope for Gondor (or he thinks his father has placed that burden upon him - whichever.) Now he has fallen and failed and everything is in ruin. Based on other dialogue, he knows, deep down, that Aragorn is perhaps more able to save his city than himself, but he has concluded that Aragorn has given up on men. At this point in his dying moments, it seems to Boromir that Aragorn is right, and his downfall is proof. Aragorn is his confessor at this moment.

You don't mention the next line. "Our people...our people...." The fact that Boromir registers some sense of comfort at these words is the summation of the Aragorn storyline for this movie. Boom.

I don't find it a distraction, but definitely a point of focus. The contrast between the two faces is stark; Boromir's last battle has left his face almost clean, and blood loss has made him pale, which translates to something almost luminous - almost ethereal. Aragorn could not look more earthy. Definite enhancement.

I wish I could follow your instructions and divorce my understanding of the story from my reading of the facial expression, but I don't think I can. I see compassion and regret, and sadness at the loss.

Yes.

Not only does it seem natural, it seems vital. This scene, above all others, is what sold me on the entire trilogy. The intimacy and the catharsis make the epic-scale stuff meaningful.

(This post was edited by Harold.of.Whoa on Aug 27 2012, 2:21am)

weaver
Half-elven

Aug 27 2012, 2:29am

Post #18 of 30 (439 views)
Shortcut
yes, she definitely deserves a big round of applause! [In reply to] Can't Post

What a beautiful labor of love by all involved!

Weaver

Kassandros
Rohan

Aug 27 2012, 12:44pm

Post #19 of 30 (410 views)
Shortcut
Just following the guidelines [In reply to] Can't Post

Speaking just for myself, when I made my questions, I just tried to do something along the lines of what others had done and follow the guidelines that TheOneRinger gave in the sign-up post:

"Three or four questions should do. Anything is fair game in these. Previously, we've talked about changes from the book, technical aspects of the scene (cinematography, editing, score, lighting, etc), acting, props, or you could talk about a controversial question you remember us discussing at one point. Remember these are just suggestions. Feel free to ask anything you want to know more about."

I tried to scour my caps for anything composition-related first, and then anything else visual second, and then went into the acting and general things about the scenes. That's how I thought about it, anyway - the final order certainly varied. I had already selected my screenshots before I realized where I could find the ones selected last time, and I was very happy that mine were different!

all we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us...

Reptile
Rivendell

Aug 29 2012, 12:19am

Post #20 of 30 (417 views)
Shortcut
My brother, my Captain, my King [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

This is a great choice of scenes, and I see it as sort of a benidiction and a denouement for Boromir's life. Boromir has lost his final battle in many ways: his honor defeated by the power of the Ring; his duty to protect the hobbits, failed; the quest looks hopeless, and his life is pouring out on the ground. His final moment is filled with dispair and he spills this as a confession. Aragorn sees that there is nothing he can do for him, and doesn't want to make a promise that he cannot be sure the he will be able to keep, so he qualifies his answer: I do not know what strength is in my veins... he's telling Boromir that his death was not in vain. It's Boromir's confession about his attempt to take the ring, and Aragorn forgives him and eases his passing with the only words that would really mean anything to a warrior: our mission will not fail. This scene is one of the reasons that Boromir is my favorite character.

Both he and Aragorn are bloodied, so I think it works, though it is distracting to the audience. It would be pretty discordant for Aragorn to look clean while Boromir is all pierced with many arrows.

Viggo here is showing ultimate compassion for Boromir, he is forgiving him for his crime, thanking him for his role in defending the hobbits, and telling him that he will pick up the gauntlet and carry on fighting his battle. At this point in the story, I don't think Aragorn has made up his mind about whether he will fight for his birthright--particularly with the tension that existed between Boromir and him at various scenes prior to this. I see this scene as a very pivotal moment for Aragorn.

I think only soldiers who fight together and see their brothers die in battle, can know that kind of love.

This is one of my favorite scenes in this movie. It seems natural, but it is a very private moment between the two soldiers from the White Tower, even Legolas and Gimili seem to feel a little awkward observing this touching, and very private, moment.

"If you listen closely, you can hear the gods laughing."

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Aug 30 2012, 2:06am

Post #21 of 30 (364 views)
Shortcut
Good point [In reply to] Can't Post

Boromir might have been thinking that because up until that point that was the plan. In a sense, both Boromir's attack on Frodo and Boromir's death caused Aragorn to change his plans completely.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Aug 30 2012, 2:08am

Post #22 of 30 (359 views)
Shortcut
Hey, I'm with you [In reply to] Can't Post

for me it's a (strictly asexual) man-crush that will never fade... I would have followed Viggo's Aragorn to "whatever end."

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Aug 30 2012, 2:17am

Post #23 of 30 (363 views)
Shortcut
Now to your other answers [In reply to] Can't Post

well one of them... I like what you said here:

Anyway, in all seriousness, yes, I think there is love. I'm not entirely sure how it developed, though.

They had a bit of a rocky start didn't they? Yet all the Fellowship bonded during the journey so far. Yes as in any group more intimate partnership develop between this one and that one, but in general all of them seemed just as likely to take a goblin arrow for anyone of the others.

But then, as you suggest, their shared heritage became a secondary bonding point for Aragorn and Boromir even though initially it seemed a cause of political tension. In the end Boromir shows his value as a knight when he sets aside his own ambition, and out of love for his people, acknowledges Aragorn as his king. Very powerful stuff.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Aug 30 2012, 2:34am

Post #24 of 30 (368 views)
Shortcut
Can we talk? [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh

Actually Aragorn's hair was freshly washed -- and the rest of him scrubbed and his clothes mended -- in the scene at Theoden's halls where Theoden says, "Last time I checked Theoden, not Aragorn, was King of Rohan..."

And I hate that feeling of not being able to be in two places at once... gah!

PS Full points for your excellent answer to the bonus question! (Admittedly it was a bit esoteric. On the other hand I love the opportunity to share and learn about film that this series provides. Having said that, most people understood what I was getting at.)

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Aug 30 2012, 2:36am

Post #25 of 30 (367 views)
Shortcut
It was compelling [In reply to] Can't Post

I love too how quick Aragorn is to forgive a repentant heart. There are several examples of such, as you say.

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Aug 30 2012, 2:36am)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.