Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Trollhunter
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Aug 26 2012, 2:04am

Post #1 of 26 (1031 views)
Shortcut
Trollhunter Can't Post

In the surprisingly entertaining Norwegian film Trollhunter (which I had assumed was a cheesy B-film, but turned out to be funny, startling, and with high production values), we see four different kinds of trolls - some which explode in sunlight, and some which turn to stone. All of the trolls, though particularly the second one on the bridge with the goats, look startlingly real. While I am not the hugest fan of the designs (though again, I love the 2nd one), I have to wonder if PJ has watched the film, and whether or not he will be influenced by it for troll movement, the way in which they turn to stone, etc., etc.

And if you haven't seen the film, give it a look. It will literally feed your yearning for trolls until December rolls around! Smile

Carne
Tol Eressea

Aug 26 2012, 2:09am

Post #2 of 26 (460 views)
Shortcut
Regarding the designs; [In reply to] Can't Post

They mainly got inspiration from Theodor Kittelsen's drawings. Some examples:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/...332_d0f2150144_o.gif

http://upload.wikimedia.org/...r_gammelt_det_er.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/...1600/kitt.troll.jpeg

A very enjoyable movie, I must agree Smile Seeing some similar designs in The Hobbit would be fun.

(This post was edited by Carne on Aug 26 2012, 2:10am)

Bumblingidiot
Rohan

Aug 26 2012, 2:17am

Post #3 of 26 (401 views)
Shortcut
Tone. [In reply to] Can't Post

I was also surprised by it - much smarter and funnier than its publicity material suggests. The trolls were great - really true to the old stories - slightly comical looking and very dangerous. I'd like to see some of that northern dryness and humour in the Hobbit adaptation when they get to the wilder parts of the story, rather than Hollywood style action sequences.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Aug 26 2012, 2:21am

Post #4 of 26 (359 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

And based on what we saw of the trolls at ComicCon, I do think PJ will be giving us some of that old storybook feel. Ugly and slightly ridiculous, but incredibly dangerous. I am really looking forward to this, and I think it is one place where PJ's style can shine.

And agreed on Trollhunter. The publicity on this film really did not do its job. My guess is that none of the people responsible for the ad campaign bothered to watch the film, and simply assumed that it was a daft subject that deserved uber-B-movie treatment.

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Aug 26 2012, 2:31am

Post #5 of 26 (355 views)
Shortcut
yes great trolls [In reply to] Can't Post

The cave scene...still creeps me out ..Unimpressed

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Aug 26 2012, 2:32am

Post #6 of 26 (349 views)
Shortcut
Oh, yes [In reply to] Can't Post

Honestly, I think that will give me nightmares.

If PJ can somehow capture the pure, primordial horror of that scene in his Trollshaws sequence, he will have succeeded.

Though that will be difficult to balance with the more humorous aspects...

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Aug 26 2012, 2:42am

Post #7 of 26 (337 views)
Shortcut
trolls [In reply to] Can't Post

Well i dont expect tom and bert and the other guy XD, to frighten me in any way comparable to those trolls..the pupose of that movie and that specific moment was to disturb and scare the audience...while the trolls on the hobbit could be menacing...they are smarter and more human like and more articulate than those furry beasts...and its not a scary movie...

Actually, i could imagine myself having a drink with Tom! A well behaved Tom, under a leach Smile

(This post was edited by Lusitano on Aug 26 2012, 2:43am)

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Aug 26 2012, 2:46am

Post #8 of 26 (344 views)
Shortcut
I agree that the talking lessens the fear factor [In reply to] Can't Post

But IMO, even Tolkien meant for the trolls to be menacing and frightening.

This is one case where I think Peter Jackson should amp up the terror factor. If we are not very unnerved by these trolls, I fear the scene will not work.

Aitieuriskon
Lorien

Aug 26 2012, 2:48am

Post #9 of 26 (325 views)
Shortcut
"Do you have any more troll stench?" [In reply to] Can't Post

Agreed, I love this film, started watching it for cheap thrills; ended up pleasantly surprised. It'd be interesting if PJ had taken a different route in designing the trolls.. I think designs drawn up from John Bauer's paintings could have been executed very well in the form of Will, Bert, and Tom. Alas, it probably would have been too fairytale-esque for the world envisioned in the trilogy.

"After all, I believe that legends and myths are largely made of 'truth', and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear." Professor Tolkien, 1951

(This post was edited by Aitieuriskon on Aug 26 2012, 2:48am)

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Aug 26 2012, 2:54am

Post #10 of 26 (325 views)
Shortcut
agreed that they should be somehow frightening [In reply to] Can't Post

but they...they can be so silly that it removes the fear and terror factor..the conversation about wether they skin them alive or stew them or fry them...i dont know, i just dont see that kind of blood icying feeling...that terror...

I see that moement as more of a whimsical, strange, fairy tale disturbing scene...but i would like to be surprised!

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Aug 26 2012, 2:55am

Post #11 of 26 (320 views)
Shortcut
They look real because it was a documentary : - o [In reply to] Can't Post

Though none of the trolls were actually harmed during filming Wink

I kinda liked it myself. I think Peter et al just turned more to the traditional troll look, fortified by many of the 19th and early 20th century fairytale illustrators, "for which I am very thankful"

In Reply To
In the surprisingly entertaining Norwegian film Trollhunter (which I had assumed was a cheesy B-film, but turned out to be funny, startling, and with high production values), we see four different kinds of trolls - some which explode in sunlight, and some which turn to stone. All of the trolls, though particularly the second one on the bridge with the goats, look startlingly real. While I am not the hugest fan of the designs (though again, I love the 2nd one), I have to wonder if PJ has watched the film, and whether or not he will be influenced by it for troll movement, the way in which they turn to stone, etc., etc.

And if you haven't seen the film, give it a look. It will literally feed your yearning for trolls until December rolls around! Smile

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Aug 26 2012, 2:58am

Post #12 of 26 (309 views)
Shortcut
well [In reply to] Can't Post

Interesting designs indeed...but they would be so radically different from the lotr trolls we saw, in stone, that iy would be ridiculous...some minimum level of consistensy is required...

Personally i really like these new trolls...

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Aug 26 2012, 3:23am

Post #13 of 26 (298 views)
Shortcut
I also love the new trolls designs for TH [In reply to] Can't Post

They are generally consistent with LOTR, while having a more old storybook quality to them. Love the scraggly hair as well. Excellent design work, IMO.

Spaldron
Rivendell

Aug 26 2012, 4:54am

Post #14 of 26 (287 views)
Shortcut
Loved the film... [In reply to] Can't Post

... hated the ending.

SPOILERS

Why did it just end so abruptly and with no explanation? Nearly ruined it for me.

The rest of the film was great, the Trolls were beautifully realised.

"A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities."

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Aug 26 2012, 5:01am

Post #15 of 26 (298 views)
Shortcut
What needed to be explained? [In reply to] Can't Post

The film-makers were silenced, the footage confiscated, and later on, the Prime Minister let slip that there are trolls in Norway! (that clip was hilarious, IMO). Then, somehow, someone got their hands on the footage...

No more explanation necessary.

Milknut
Rohan

Aug 26 2012, 7:02am

Post #16 of 26 (252 views)
Shortcut
I thought this was a kids book. [In reply to] Can't Post

If I'd seen that cave scene when I was a kid, I'd have peed my pants in the theater. Blush

The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie___

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 26 2012, 9:47am

Post #17 of 26 (241 views)
Shortcut
Slightly off-topic... [In reply to] Can't Post

By the sounds of it Shelob'sAppetite, you enjoyed Trollhunter more than The Lord of the Rings trilogy? Unimpressed

You've never descrobed the trilogy as "funny, startling and with high production values".

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Aug 26 2012, 4:17pm

Post #18 of 26 (116 views)
Shortcut
Apples and oranges [In reply to] Can't Post

Trollhunter is simply a very well done gimmick, in the vein of the Blair Witch Project and Cloverfield. I enjoyed it immensely.

But it simply cannot be compared to a complex, multi-part epic based on Tolkien's timeless books.

But its true that I don't find the LOTR films either funny or startling, if thats what you're asking!

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 26 2012, 4:22pm

Post #19 of 26 (100 views)
Shortcut
What about high production values? ;-P / [In reply to] Can't Post

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Aug 26 2012, 4:24pm

Post #20 of 26 (103 views)
Shortcut
Have I ever said [In reply to] Can't Post

That the LOTR films didn't have high production values? Smile

The only thing I will say about Trollhunter over LOTR, in that regard, is that their CGI was generally more believable.

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 26 2012, 4:27pm

Post #21 of 26 (113 views)
Shortcut
I don't know - are we using the same definition of "high production value"? / [In reply to] Can't Post

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Aug 26 2012, 4:40pm

Post #22 of 26 (98 views)
Shortcut
Another thing I will say [In reply to] Can't Post

Is that realistic camera angles do a much better job of selling a world as real than do high-speed helicopter-flyovers, and Massive battle scenes viewed from hundreds of feet above.

I like PJ's long shots from the ground, but find that his numerous high-speed heli-shots take me out of Middle Earth, and make me feel like I'm watching a video game.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 26 2012, 4:59pm

Post #23 of 26 (117 views)
Shortcut
I loved Trollhunter [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't remember the CGI well enough to make a comparison to LOTR, but I thought the movie did a great job at keeping the trolls just out of our vision to build the anticipation, and when you finally got to see them, they were fairly realistic.

I also loved how the film-makers kept all the troll legends - I loved the one under the bridge!

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Aug 26 2012, 8:01pm

Post #24 of 26 (74 views)
Shortcut
As I live in Norway, I've seen this almost two years ago :P [In reply to] Can't Post

And I loved this immensely!
It's so strange that there haven't been made a real troll-film before xD
It was something I wanted to say but I forgot it...
This went on to be a total meaningless post, sorry :(

Vocalist in the semi-progressive metal band Arctic Eclipse

Owain
Tol Eressea

Aug 26 2012, 8:40pm

Post #25 of 26 (57 views)
Shortcut
Love Trollhunter. Great film!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.