Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
What's the condition of your EE Limited Edition Figurines?

Aug 26 2012, 1:50am

Post #1 of 23 (1671 views)
What's the condition of your EE Limited Edition Figurines? Can't Post

*Images removed - too large!*

I've had these since the sets originally came out and they have (mostly) survived the years and three moves. I even still have the boxes. The TTT Gollum is in perfect condition being a largely solid block with no breakable parts. The same sadly cannot be said for the Argonath or Minas Tirith.

The latter has one tower partially broken off and another came of completely and had to be glued back on. Thankfully the White Tower hasn't come off as yet. Unsure

However its the Argonath who have fared the worst, as much as I cherish them they are easily broken, both have damaged crowns but worst of all is those damn hands pointing outwards. Both have broken off multiple times (one hand was even lost for a whole five years) and have been glued back on repeatedly. Isildur's hand is even broken in two places now, no idea how it happened but I've glued it back to the best of my abilities but it is very noticeable.

They also have a bit of general dust n dirt accumulated over the years (its very hard to clean Minas Tirith with all its delicate pointy bits) but overall they keep pride of place above my PC.

So who else has these or similar LOTR items and how have they fared over the years?

"A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities."

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Aug 27 2012, 3:35pm)

Tol Eressea

Aug 26 2012, 7:07am

Post #2 of 23 (1273 views)
Nonexistent :P [In reply to] Can't Post

I kick myself for not shelling out a bit more for the limited editions with the figurines. Frown I especially regret not buying the Argonath, so impressive.

Tol Eressea

Aug 26 2012, 8:17am

Post #3 of 23 (1257 views)
Not bad - [In reply to] Can't Post

- the only damage is a lost hand off one of the Argonath statchoos. Otherwise, they're all as I bought 'em. Got the boxes, too.

What? I collect.

Aug 26 2012, 3:27pm

Post #4 of 23 (1272 views)
a trifle dusty [In reply to] Can't Post

I know a true collector would have kept them in the box, but I'm not a true collector... I just wanting them. ....and the 25 or so "action figures" (though I will say that the majority of those were gifts or bought from the bargain bin-- about half of these are still in their boxes )... the Grima bust I got at ORC, the signed Tim Kirk print, the Daniel Reeve map of TORN, the Pez dispensers (another gift) the Burger King light up glasses, the "medallions" that were door prizes at the TORN parties.

Most of my "stuff" has held up well.... except for a bust of an orc which broke off the base and a Sam figurine that fell off a shelf and the hand broke. Some of the action figures that are out of their boxes have lost swords or arrows.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com

Grey Havens

Aug 26 2012, 3:43pm

Post #5 of 23 (1227 views)
Perfect [In reply to] Can't Post

All three are in perfect condition - no boxes as I prefer useful rather than useless collections.

They sit upon custom, built-in bookshelves; the two Argonath are bookends to my Easton Press editions of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.

Aug 26 2012, 3:48pm

Post #6 of 23 (1222 views)
Same ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I was too young at the time to afford these myself, so was unable to get them Unsure. I fear what my spending habits might be like this time round Crazy.

Tol Eressea

Aug 26 2012, 6:24pm

Post #7 of 23 (1256 views)
Tim Kirk? [In reply to] Can't Post

I love Tim Kirk's works. I met him at Aston in 2005, and gushed a bit - he signed several of my items, inc, my 1975 calendar. He did a few sketches on 'em, too, yay!

Aug 26 2012, 8:08pm

Post #8 of 23 (1208 views)
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

He was as either the first or second ORC -- in Pasadena, not Burbank anyway..... and signed the print of Sam sneaking past the Watchers at the Tower of Cirith Ungol.

He drew an Orc captain being watched by Sam on the matte framing the print.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com

Aug 27 2012, 12:10am

Post #9 of 23 (1272 views)
They've been under glass for years :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a BUNCH of upside-down fish aquariums of various sizes where I keep my Sideshow/Weta statues, etc. The Argonath is with the Minas Tirith and the Elessar Crown.

My Two Towers Gollum statue is hanging out with the Fellowship ;)

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Superuser / Moderator

Aug 27 2012, 12:41am

Post #10 of 23 (1206 views)
Fish aquariums! What a great idea! [In reply to] Can't Post

One reason I (mostly) don't buy collectibles is because of the dusting. As much as I admire the Barad-dur sculpture that's soon to be released, all I can see is 'pointy dust-trap'.

My Argonath statues are doing just fine - nothing has broken off yet *touch wood*. As an aside, I caved and bought Eowyn and the Witch-King, and Eowyn's colouring has faded badly.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Aug 27 2012, 11:18am

Post #11 of 23 (1201 views)
That's a grea idea gramma! [In reply to] Can't Post

Once I'm bored of my fish tank, at least it will have some sort of use! Wink

Tol Eressea

Aug 27 2012, 12:00pm

Post #12 of 23 (1192 views)
That is a good idea - [In reply to] Can't Post

though I don't have anything much in the way of figurines, myself.

Aug 27 2012, 2:42pm

Post #13 of 23 (1203 views)
In a way these are my most prescious Items.. [In reply to] Can't Post

The 3 commerative Wall mounted Plates.
6 & 1/4 inches in diameter with a superb collage
of Icon-ich images of our Cast..A great summery of the plots
of each film surrounded in Gold letter of The One's

The original Poster of Frodo (Now framed) holding the Ring given to me
by the manager of our Historic ArtHouse Movie Theatre.

A 250 piece Jigsaw Puzzle of the WitchKing over Osgiliath!
Mom sent me that from New Zealand. It's still in the box!
Inside are4 postcards she sent..One is Legolas on Lookout for
the crows of Saruman.
Arwen with sword drawn agianst theNine at the FoB!
G,L,&A's approach on horseback looking at Edoras.
And finally FRODO &SAM lost in Emyn Muil

But THE ONE figurine? My foot tall Gollum Squeeze Doll!
Press his chest it says in Andy's voice?
"It's ours it is and we wants it..Gollum"
Then "Naughty little Hobbitzez"
"Wicked Tricksey False"
"My Precsiouzzzz "
He has poseable limbs and it hanging on the Frame oftheFrodo poster reaching for. The One.

Aug 27 2012, 3:12pm

Post #14 of 23 (1214 views)
dusty [In reply to] Can't Post

The hands on the Argonath and the White Tower on Minas Tirith are a bit wiggly. But not too much. I think the tips of the crown on one statue is broken off but it's an old, broken statue... so who notices? I can tell because, looking at it from the top, one can see the white plastic.

The Argonath were purchased at a thrift store for surely less than $5 - although I can't remember if I got them together or separately.

And the Minas Tirith was procured during a White Elephant Gift exchange. Later, I found another one at the thrift store and gave it to my son.

I was too cheap to buy the EE Limited Editions just for the statues.

I also got a large bust of Gandalf at the thrift store that is missing the tip of his hat. But I don't mind too much. The rest of my collection (which is large) is mostly in the same state as I declared the figures of topic - dusty. It is too fussy to dust most of them. I only worry too much about the large Galadriel figure I won in a contest. She's got lots of cloth and that will fade and absorb the dust - not being as easy to brush off as on a plastic.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 27 2012, 3:37pm

Post #15 of 23 (1189 views)
I had to remove two of your images [In reply to] Can't Post

They exceed our picture guidelines, which are posted at the top of this forum.

Aug 27 2012, 9:48pm

Post #16 of 23 (1161 views)
Actually... [In reply to] Can't Post

One of the Argonath I have had its hand broken off at delivery. Nothing that could not be fixed with super glue.
(another copy I got from amazon.com for 20 bucks I sold separately and got around 50 euros for the figurines alone).

Smeagol still looks like new,

As does Minas Tirith. Still good as new.

Needless to say I still have all the three DVD SEE editions which came with the boxes. These looked much cooler than the new Blu-Ray ones (even the golden SEE version was a cheapo amaray version).

I guess this darnded polystone keeps off the dust...

Russian LotR/Hobbit Site: henneth-annun.ru

Aug 28 2012, 11:00am

Post #17 of 23 (1161 views)
All 3 of mine are mint. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have to ask Spaldron, what the heck to you do to your poor figures to damage them so?

Aug 28 2012, 11:27am

Post #18 of 23 (1144 views)
Beats me. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have to ask Spaldron, what the heck to you do to your poor figures to damage them so?

I may have been drunk. Crazy

"A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities."

Tol Eressea

Aug 28 2012, 10:05pm

Post #19 of 23 (1124 views)
I have two copies of them... [In reply to] Can't Post

One is in mint condition, the second version has a broken hand....

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

Aug 29 2012, 12:47am

Post #20 of 23 (1119 views)
Still have them [In reply to] Can't Post

I had to fix one of the hands on the argonath but all in all they're in my collection with my many other SSW, SS, and weta lotr items.

Aug 31 2012, 2:24pm

Post #21 of 23 (1111 views)
I've been very careful with mine, I love these models [In reply to] Can't Post

I own the Gollum statue to compliment my Smeagol, and am hoping to get Minas Morgul. But my Argonath, unfortunately Isildur's hand has broken off, which is heartbreaking for me. Frown

Sep 2 2012, 7:56am

Post #22 of 23 (1107 views)
I don't own the FotR set [In reply to] Can't Post

but I got one of the Argonath's (or is it 'one Argon') at a flea-marked with a bit of the crown missing (my brother owns it, though; I might haggle him out of it).
My TT and RotK are still wrapped, because I got the EE-editions first, and even one of the extra DVDs.

"Don't take life seriously, it ain't nohow permanent!" Pogo

Sep 2 2012, 7:02pm

Post #23 of 23 (1257 views)
Haha--dusty! [In reply to] Can't Post

actually, I collected the Burger King ring instead, and since it forms a ring for the figures to stand up on, the whole thing stays dusty.

Permanent address: Into the West

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.