Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
The Peter Jackson Appreciation Thread
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Spaldron
Rivendell

Aug 25 2012, 4:49am

Post #1 of 104 (1220 views)
Shortcut
The Peter Jackson Appreciation Thread Can't Post

Some on this forum have been recently, crapping all over Peter Jackson and the extraordinary effort he made in bringing the LOTR and now The Hobbit to the big screen so I reckon now its time for a change round here.

So here's a thread dedicated to those who appreciate the work he's done and continues to do to achieve cinematic greatness and who also love his adaptations of Tolkien's work.

So who here agrees that Peter Jackson should be appreciated and not attacked constantly for his interpretations of our favourite books?

"A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities."

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Aug 25 2012, 5:36am

Post #2 of 104 (686 views)
Shortcut
Thank you. [In reply to] Can't Post

Contrary to accusations of not being open to varying opinions, it seems that those of us who love what PJ was able to do with the trilogy have been repeatedly given lectures on how wrong PJ's films are.

I do find it funny that I keep hearing over and over again how great it would have been to someone else make the trilogy. Putting aside the spectacular job that PJ did - we likely would never have had a "trilogy" at all were it not for him. We likely would have gotten stuck with a one film "adaptation" (I use that term lightly), that would have barely resembled Tolkien's story at all. Instead we got 3 magnificent films that received enormous critical acclaim, record breaking box office numbers, and a total of 17 Academy Awards (including the first ever Best Picture win for a fantasy!).

I still remember the euphoric feeling I had watching each film for the first time, and I have to be honest, that sensation has never gone away with each successive viewing. These movies really are the movies for me, much like the original Star Wars was for people who grew up during that time (not to say I don't love Star Wars too!).

I admit I've had one or two quibbles about The Hobbit production. The look of the dwarves put me off initially, and I'm not too thrilled about the decisions to shoot in Digital 3D or 48fps, not to mention the sudden splitting of the final film into 2. But, really, all I have to do is turn on any one of the 3 LotR films, and my concerns melt away. I absolutely have no shame in sticking to the 'ole "Trust PJ" mantra. Smile

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Aug 25 2012, 5:40am)

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Aug 25 2012, 5:53am

Post #3 of 104 (630 views)
Shortcut
thanks for this! [In reply to] Can't Post

Much needed and appreciated right now with all the hate and disdain being thrown at Peter Jackson as of late.

From the bottom of the Long-Lake a dragon shall be possessed...green lights glowing out of the deep waters shall be seen where the dragon fell...reanimated shall be Smaug that was killed...and the Dark Lord will fly over Middle-Earth unopposed...raining fire down upon his enemies...

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Aug 25 2012, 6:36am

Post #4 of 104 (670 views)
Shortcut
Noone is lecturing you [In reply to] Can't Post

I, for one, have never criticized anyone for loving the films. Never. I have strongly criticized the LOTR films, PJ's directorial style, and the screenwriters, but not once have I ridiculed anyone for loving or liking the films. It would be an absurd thing to do.

This is simply not the case in the reverse. I, and a number of others, have been personally attacked for simply expressing critical opinions.

The rule here at TORN is: Talk about substance, not the character of the posters. You are attacking character, not substance.

(This post was edited by Shelob'sAppetite on Aug 25 2012, 6:40am)

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Aug 25 2012, 6:43am

Post #5 of 104 (659 views)
Shortcut
This is an open forum [In reply to] Can't Post

So who here agrees that Peter Jackson should be appreciated and not attacked constantly for his interpretations of our favourite books?

Everyone here should feel free and welcome to attack, praise, or mildly tolerate, Peter Jackson and the films. Whatever their opinions are, as long as they are not attacking a posters' character, they are welcome.

Your mob mentality is not helping your cause.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Aug 25 2012, 6:51am

Post #6 of 104 (640 views)
Shortcut
Mount Doom scene [In reply to] Can't Post

Ugh, I got RotK fever tonight and decided to turn it on (first time in a while, actually). Cool I'm at the Mount Doom scene right now, with Sam's "But I can carry you!" line. Was there ever a more perfect moment of film?! Heart All the emotion PJ was able to squeeze into that moment (with the help of his cast & crew, of course) is just breathtaking.

I'm not really making the wait for The Hobbit any easier on myself. Laugh Quibbles about the stuff I mentioned before aside, I really am glad PJ's at the helm. It wouldn't be the same without him.

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Aug 25 2012, 6:56am)

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Aug 25 2012, 7:22am

Post #7 of 104 (754 views)
Shortcut
Throat lumping [In reply to] Can't Post

allergy inducing line. Ever better than when he dispatches the three orcs in the Tower of Cirith Ungol.

Many who have similar criticisms of the movies to mine dismiss that line on Mount Doom but I have never understood why.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Aug 25 2012, 7:30am

Post #8 of 104 (603 views)
Shortcut
agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Ugh, I got RotK fever tonight and decided to turn it on (first time in a while, actually). Cool I'm at the Mount Doom scene right now, with Sam's "But I can carry you!" line. Was there ever a more perfect moment of film?! Heart All the emotion PJ was able to squeeze into that moment (with the help of his cast & crew, of course) is just breathtaking.

I'm not really making the wait for The Hobbit any easier on myself. Laugh Quibbles about the stuff I mentioned before aside, I really am glad PJ's at the helm. It wouldn't be the same without him.

that scene where Frodo and Sam are climbing Mount Doom couldn't have been executed better, amazing scene!

From the bottom of the Long-Lake a dragon shall be possessed...green lights glowing out of the deep waters shall be seen where the dragon fell...reanimated shall be Smaug that was killed...and the Dark Lord will fly over Middle-Earth unopposed...raining fire down upon his enemies...

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Aug 25 2012, 7:37am

Post #9 of 104 (625 views)
Shortcut
Mount Doom is one of the best parts of the three films [In reply to] Can't Post

IMO.

And it is the beauty and power of these scenes that make me even more disappointed...The potential was there for true greatness, but it was squandered.

Smiley faces scrawled over a Mona Lisa, and all that.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Aug 25 2012, 7:42am

Post #10 of 104 (594 views)
Shortcut
Indeed, I do love that part as well. :D [In reply to] Can't Post

"...and that's for my old gaffer!!" Such a swashbuckling moment for Sam. Cool I seem to remember smiling ear to ear in the cinema during that part.

- T.E. Lawrence

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 25 2012, 7:46am

Post #11 of 104 (621 views)
Shortcut
I appreciate you, PJ. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have no lasting grudges on you, and got over the fact you decided to remove Bombadil, Ghan and destroy Denethor years ago.

I'm just thankful you made the most amazing books into the most brilliant adaptations ever. Thank you. You opened up the world to the mythology of Tolkien. And that is no bad thing.

imin
Valinor

Aug 25 2012, 10:29am

Post #12 of 104 (614 views)
Shortcut
Lol that photo is so creepy! [In reply to] Can't Post

Ah made me laugh!

I think PJ did a pretty darn good job in making the lotr movies - though i dont feel there is any real need for this thread as i think this whole site is overwhelmingly pro PJ just some peeps cant stand any negative comments about him.

But yeah. Go Pete!

http://www.youtube.com/...x=3&feature=plcp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMY4oODsOB8&list=UUEmCXnbNYz-MOtXi3lZ7W1Q&index=3&feature=plcp

Not sure why link aint working Unsure

(Added by dernwyn: ***Warning: video contains material that some may find offensive.)

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Aug 25 2012, 12:19pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 25 2012, 12:08pm

Post #13 of 104 (611 views)
Shortcut
*ahem* [In reply to] Can't Post

Number 1: Your comment is off-topic for this particular thread.

Number 2: Your last sentence can be construed as being a personal attack.

Kindly back off, Shelob'sA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 25 2012, 12:18pm

Post #14 of 104 (585 views)
Shortcut
Fixed the link. [In reply to] Can't Post

It just had some bad coding in it.

That is a very strange...uh, "trailer"...so I hope you don't mind, I added a warning. Evil

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

geordie
Tol Eressea

Aug 25 2012, 12:18pm

Post #15 of 104 (590 views)
Shortcut
I agree with this bit - [In reply to] Can't Post

'...i dont feel there is any real need for this thread as i think this whole site is overwhelmingly pro PJ just some peeps cant stand any negative comments about him.'

I've often expressed my opinion that ToRn is a pJ worship site - I'd always thought that was the idea. And I don't know where this word 'hate' comes from: AFAIK, non of us posters who express divergent opinions have said we 'hate' the movies, or the film-makers. Have we?

On the other hand, there's a thread somewhere with the title 'The Estate HATES the Movies?', which I think is a little over the top.

To sum up -

"this whole site is overwhelmingly pro PJ" is pret-ty much my impression. Other folks' mileages may vary.

Smile

(This post was edited by geordie on Aug 25 2012, 12:21pm)

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Aug 25 2012, 12:22pm

Post #16 of 104 (563 views)
Shortcut
Yep it rules [In reply to] Can't Post

Orcs see big scary shadow and look like retreating.

Orcs see little hobbit and move in and attack.

Little hobbit absolutely kicks their respective you know whats.

An ironically valiant victory for one of the "little men", well done PJ.

DesiringDragons
Lorien

Aug 25 2012, 12:35pm

Post #17 of 104 (606 views)
Shortcut
I criticize but I also appreciate. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it's natural for Tolkien-lovers to have mixed feelings about any adaptation, no matter how wonderful. It doesn't mean hate - just that feelings run high, and we want the best for and from the films and we worry and we love and we angst and we anticipate. And by we I mean me; I am not sure why I was suddenly plural there for a minute.

But I have to say that seeing Hobbiton come alive always gives me a lump in my throat. It's a place I've wanted to visit since I was little, and PJ brought me the closest to it visually that I've ever been.

So thank you, PJ.

Macfeast
Rohan

Aug 25 2012, 2:40pm

Post #18 of 104 (601 views)
Shortcut
It's not without its fault... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but I love the Trilogy nonetheless, and I appreciate immensely the great amount of work that went into it. At the end of the day, I would rank the Trilogy as my favorite three movies.
I'm also immensely excited for the Hobbit, so much that I'm willing to dress up for the premiere as one of the characters whose design I was rather disappointed in. As a whole, whenever I hear something about the way it is being adapted that I don't like, I go back to the trailer, fast-forward to "Far over the Misty Mountains cold", and suddenly I remember why I'm excited again.

I think "hate", "crapped all over" and "attacked constantly" is a little bit strong, though. Imo, it would have been better to leave that out entirely, and just focus on the appreciation.

(This post was edited by Macfeast on Aug 25 2012, 2:44pm)

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Aug 25 2012, 2:43pm

Post #19 of 104 (555 views)
Shortcut
I appreciate PJ [In reply to] Can't Post

The LOTR films have problems, but these problems were no where near large enough to hinder my enjoyment in the slightest. Of course, I didn't agree with all of them, but some of them were improvements (at least as far as putting them into a film was concerned, e.g. I felt it was better for Saruman to die at Orthanc rather than in the Shire).

"Radagast is, of course, a worthy wizard, a master of shapes and changes of hue, and he has much lore of herbs and beasts, and birds are especially his friends."-Gandalf, The Lord of the Rings.

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Aug 25 2012, 3:27pm

Post #20 of 104 (583 views)
Shortcut
His post wasn't directed at you [In reply to] Can't Post

I, for one, have never criticized anyone for loving the films. Never. I have strongly criticized the LOTR films, PJ's directorial style, and the screenwriters, but not once have I ridiculed anyone for loving or liking the films. It would be an absurd thing to do.

Then why are you being so defensive? Hmmm?

Absurd, or not, AE has a valid point: people here *have* been criticized for liking the films lately. But, he certainly wasn't addressing you personally, and I find it a bit revealing that you thought he was.

People (even those who don't 100% love PJs films) get tired of constant negativity is all, and need a break from it every now and then whether it's 'substance' or not. A substantive criticism made once is interesting; one made over and over, gets very old, very fast, and there *are* people on the boards who just keep repeating the same mantras over and over. That's not substance, that's getting very close to trolling and spamming.

Difficult as it will be for you to believe, the last paragraph was not directed at you personally. It's a wake-up call for everyone that we need to move on and get over all this constant going off-topic just to bicker with each other, and that posts of the same topic/statement over and over will start to be considered spam.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

macfalk
Valinor

Aug 25 2012, 3:41pm

Post #21 of 104 (529 views)
Shortcut
*mods up* // [In reply to] Can't Post

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

imin
Valinor

Aug 25 2012, 6:06pm

Post #22 of 104 (511 views)
Shortcut
Sorry about that [In reply to] Can't Post

i did add a warning the language is a bit choice but i deleted it when trying to sort out the link Blush

My favourite part is the PJ part from 3:18 onwards if anyone cares to watch it. I think people will like it here - people have a sense of humour on TORN.

macfalk
Valinor

Aug 25 2012, 6:08pm

Post #23 of 104 (561 views)
Shortcut
TORN is a PJ worship site? [In reply to] Can't Post

From where did you get this idea? Nowhere have I read that the purpose of TORN is for people to worship PJ.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

lyndomiel
Rivendell

Aug 25 2012, 6:37pm

Post #24 of 104 (517 views)
Shortcut
Agree [In reply to] Can't Post

It completely made up for the Frodo/Sam scene on the Stairs. Loved that scene and still get verklempt when I watch it.

kzer_za
Rivendell

Aug 25 2012, 6:41pm

Post #25 of 104 (530 views)
Shortcut
It goes both ways [In reply to] Can't Post

This is a pretty pro-film site. I don't think it's fair to say we "worship" PJ though - most regulars have some issues with the films. I do think some people here are overly defensive of the movies, but not everyone.

However, at other places on the internet I have seen anti-film folks say things like "if you like the films you aren't a real fan of the books and got suckered by the visuals" or going over the line from criticizing PJ's decisions to making unwarranted personal attacks on him and others involved in the movie. This was especially common in the years following RotK's release when we got a flawed EE and the initial wonder at the trilogy had worn off a bit.

(This post was edited by kzer_za on Aug 25 2012, 6:46pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.