Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
A curiosity, and a question that needs answering. . . why is the first critical Homepage article on the films, the only one with a disclaimer?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Aug 24 2012, 6:00pm

Post #1 of 46 (1661 views)
Shortcut
A curiosity, and a question that needs answering. . . why is the first critical Homepage article on the films, the only one with a disclaimer? Can't Post

What is the significance of it, and why did the board see fit to do it? This article was well stated. In it were things that I very much agreed with, and somethings that I disagreed with. The same can be said, in varying degrees, of the other more glowing appraisals given of this Hobbit adaptation on the home page. And yet, as yet, I do not recall any of those other, more favourable articles, receiving a distancing disclaimer of "this does not necessarily represent the views of The TORN staff" above their headings.

Why is this? Are negative or more pointedly critical reviews deemed blasphemous here now? Is there a fear that Jackson will punish or excomunicate members of this site's staff or the site in general, if he is to sharply questioned in regard to his choices? Either the other, beaming reviews should bear the same disclaiming notice that this most recent article by Ostodan bears (sorry if I mispelled the name), or the disclaimer on his article should promptly be removed.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

(This post was edited by AinurOlorin on Aug 24 2012, 6:01pm)

Carne
Tol Eressea

Aug 24 2012, 6:01pm

Post #2 of 46 (927 views)
Shortcut
The last one did get the same disclaimer. [In reply to] Can't Post

The Gollum article and the trilogy one.

As some people seem to have missed it:

The others have this exact same disclaimer.

(This post was edited by Carne on Aug 24 2012, 6:09pm)

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Aug 24 2012, 6:04pm

Post #3 of 46 (944 views)
Shortcut
Possibly [In reply to] Can't Post

Because TORN has a contract with either WB, MGM, New Line or 3Foot7, and needed to include this disclaimer in order to avoid breaching said contract?

That is wild speculation, of course, but it could be a reason.

Another possibility is that criticism by TORN could lead to unfortunate future events, such as not being invited to private screenings, parties, etc (CinemaCon, etc), and cast members not coming to TORN-organized parties.

Organized fandom is complex, and includes lots of real-life tradeoffs that have to do with both access and funding.

If these are indeed part of the rationale for this sort of thing, I wouldn't blame TORN. They have to make a living, and serve the community, some way or another!

(This post was edited by Shelob'sAppetite on Aug 24 2012, 6:05pm)

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Aug 24 2012, 6:05pm

Post #4 of 46 (889 views)
Shortcut
cause people are afraid to offend the great wise Peter Jackson [In reply to] Can't Post

didn't you know his films are always perfect...Angelic

besides there is no need to worry about offending Tolkien ...HE'S DEAD. so I guess PJ wins.

(This post was edited by sinister71 on Aug 24 2012, 6:07pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 24 2012, 6:06pm

Post #5 of 46 (877 views)
Shortcut
Just so it doesn't put off people from posting [In reply to] Can't Post

It's just to say: "hey, we don't all agree or disagree with this article".

Not entirely sure this thread belongs in this board.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Aug 24 2012, 6:09pm

Post #6 of 46 (902 views)
Shortcut
No, the Trilogy ones did not. I rechecked, and there is, as of yet, no disclaimer on [In reply to] Can't Post

the lengthy "in defence of a Trilogy" article.

In Reply To
The Gollum article and the trilogy one.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Aug 24 2012, 6:10pm

Post #7 of 46 (876 views)
Shortcut
Fans v. News [In reply to] Can't Post

This is a fan site and not really a news site. And even "news site" doesn't mean objectivity any more. So we probably have to accept that a website run by private (and volunteer) owners is going to have a tone that favors that which it was created for - as is the owners right. That is, so long as objectivity is not in the mission statement.

Carne
Tol Eressea

Post #8 of 46 (896 views)
Shortcut
Here: [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.theonering.net/...of-a-hobbit-trilogy/

and

http://www.theonering.net/...w-old-is-pjs-gollum/

These views are his own, and do not necessarily represent those of TheOneRing.net or its staff.

(This post was edited by Carne on Aug 24 2012, 6:13pm)

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Post #9 of 46 (863 views)
Shortcut
This sounds about right to me. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Because TORN has a contract with either WB, MGM, New Line or 3Foot7, and needed to include this disclaimer in order to avoid breaching said contract?

That is wild speculation, of course, but it could be a reason.

Another possibility is that criticism by TORN could lead to unfortunate future events, such as not being invited to private screenings, parties, etc (CinemaCon, etc), and cast members not coming to TORN-organized parties.

Organized fandom is complex, and includes lots of real-life tradeoffs that have to do with both access and funding.

If these are indeed part of the rationale for this sort of thing, I wouldn't blame TORN. They have to make a living, and serve the community, some way or another!

rings7
Rohan

Aug 24 2012, 6:12pm

Post #10 of 46 (856 views)
Shortcut
Good question [In reply to] Can't Post

Although whenever we see comments and critics from other staffers, their names come out for each one. But yeah, since this article is written by Ostadan (sorry spell?) i don't see why the need for the disclaimer if we know he's the one saying it, not the whole staff.

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Aug 24 2012, 6:13pm

Post #11 of 46 (855 views)
Shortcut
like i said before [In reply to] Can't Post

maybe they need to change the forged by and for fans of Tolkien to forged by and for fans of Peter Jackson... just a thought.Wink since to have Tolkien's best interest needs a disclaimer

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Aug 24 2012, 6:15pm

Post #12 of 46 (843 views)
Shortcut
Making A Living [In reply to] Can't Post

Just to clarify for fairness, I think the livings are made anywhere else *but* here, being a volunteer site. Politics and invitations notwithstanding.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Post #13 of 46 (825 views)
Shortcut
*lol* TORN doesn't have such contract, silly you. // [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

Post #14 of 46 (876 views)
Shortcut
Completely, utterly, wholeheartedly disagree [In reply to] Can't Post

The majority of people here because of Tolkien's stories.

I'm not here because I love PJ or the films. But because I love the books, and enjoy the films. Nothing wrong with that.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Aug 24 2012, 6:19pm

Post #15 of 46 (851 views)
Shortcut
Where else would it belong, DanilelB>? [In reply to] Can't Post

I was not aware that such inquiries were deemed impertinent and thus verbotten/forbidden. It is a relevant question, and one I am curious for an answer to. And it directly relates to one of the principal topics of this board. I looked, for the umpteenth time, at the article defending the Trilogy decision. There is no disclaimer in the heading. Now, Carne claims that it does have such a disclaimer. . . perhaps it is merely buried in the text, or at the bottom of the article. It certainly does not show up

In Reply To
It's just to say: "hey, we don't all agree or disagree with this article".

Not entirely sure this thread belongs in this board.

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 24 2012, 6:20pm

Post #16 of 46 (824 views)
Shortcut
It's not forbidden at all. [In reply to] Can't Post

And I am no mod or admin, and my word means nothing compared to the PTB. But as a regular user, I would suggest posting this in feedback, since it is a question regarding the site, rather than anything to do with the upcoming films.

Though, I have already asked Smile

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Aug 24 2012, 6:22pm)

Spaldron
Rivendell

Aug 24 2012, 6:23pm

Post #17 of 46 (851 views)
Shortcut
But TORn is all a big conspiracy... [In reply to] Can't Post

...by Peter Jackson fans to ruin Tolkien's legacy.

Didn't you get the memo? Wink

"A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities."

TomthePilgrim
Rohan

Aug 24 2012, 6:25pm

Post #18 of 46 (814 views)
Shortcut
Gosh, I hope that is still true . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

I was wondering this very thing just a few hours ago : how many of us are here, not because they love the books of Tolkien and have seen the movies, or because they saw the movies and then read the books, but . . . because they saw PJ's films and have never even attempted to read the works of Tolkien.
I see indications sometimes that this might be true . . .

How does that effect TheOneRing.net . . .

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,

"Thorin sat up with a start. 'Something is not right,' he muttered to himself as he stood up and
looked towards the mirror . . . . . . . . . 'Durin's bones', he gasped, 'what's happened to my beard?'"

TomthePilgrim
Rohan

Aug 24 2012, 6:28pm

Post #19 of 46 (794 views)
Shortcut
Sorry . . . you're right . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

not a movie thread . . . Tongue

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,

"Thorin sat up with a start. 'Something is not right,' he muttered to himself as he stood up and
looked towards the mirror . . . . . . . . . 'Durin's bones', he gasped, 'what's happened to my beard?'"

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 24 2012, 6:28pm

Post #20 of 46 (784 views)
Shortcut
I would have still joined the forum without the films. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd hope it was true, probably naive though. Wink

Tim
Tol Eressea

Aug 24 2012, 6:54pm

Post #21 of 46 (774 views)
Shortcut
Really? [In reply to] Can't Post

Has anyone been banned for not agreeing with PJ? Or has anyone been shut up?

I think not.

Respectfully, I think you're looking for a problem where there isn't one.

I've seen fans disagreeing with one another but I haven't seen an admin or mod come in and shut down anyone who doesn't agree with PJ.

King Arthur: You know much that is hidden oh Tim.

Tim: Quite.

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Aug 24 2012, 6:59pm

Post #22 of 46 (745 views)
Shortcut
Read It Again [In reply to] Can't Post

If you will please read the OP again, you'll see that it makes no mention about what you read into it.

Tim
Tol Eressea

Aug 24 2012, 7:05pm

Post #23 of 46 (747 views)
Shortcut
I don't need to read it again [In reply to] Can't Post

I know what he said, and he's starting to imply that there may be an atmosphere here that anyone who disagree's with PJ is not welcome. The articles and editorials are discussed HERE on the message board. So what happens here is relevant. The disclaimers (or lack thereof) are not a significant problem.

King Arthur: You know much that is hidden oh Tim.

Tim: Quite.

geordie
Tol Eressea

Aug 24 2012, 7:07pm

Post #24 of 46 (745 views)
Shortcut
These sound like reasonable assumptions - [In reply to] Can't Post

- I've always had the belief that ToRn is a pJ worship page - I thought that was the point.

lyndomiel
Rivendell

Aug 24 2012, 7:11pm

Post #25 of 46 (732 views)
Shortcut
Books - 1974 was the first of many readings, but [In reply to] Can't Post

the films brought me to the forums. I almost didn't see the films for fear of their ruining the books, but once I saw the preview specials, I was hooked. Then I couldn't get enough of Tolkien in any from for a while and I found TORN. THANK YOU, THANK YOU , THANK YOU to all the VOLUNTEER TORN staff.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.