Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
SCOD Aragorn buys some time

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Aug 23 2012, 3:26am

Post #1 of 19 (1817 views)
Shortcut
SCOD Aragorn buys some time Can't Post

Ah sorry, I remembered that zarabia and I switched weeks at the last minute, but I forgot which week I ended up with.Crazy

I did however remember that Amon Hen featured in the caps I was supposed to present. Not just that but it was providential that I waited until today since I was at Amon Hen this afternoon:

(This photo does not do justice to the beauty of the place I found today while kayaking with my niece. The flat rock atop the rise on the right is about 5 meters in diameter, and you are looking at a slope up to it of about 15 meters. This spot is perched another 15 meters -- a not quite vertical drop -- above the water. It really reminded me of Tolkien's description of Amon Hen above the Great River.)

Now where were we... ah yes...

Today's screen cap finds the Fellowship scattered about Amon Hen. In the image below, Aragorn had just released Frodo and is preparing to deliver resistance to the hobbit hunting Uruk-hai hoard:

Larger image here.

Questions:

1. What is Aragorn doing here? Yes I know he's waiting for the onslaught, but what do his posture and the look on his face tell us?

2. Describe the lighting, and its effect in this image.

3. Think back, way back to the image of Strider at Bree where he is seated with his sword leaning across his body (in case you don't remember click here). Aragorn is often depicted in a romantic way, as a Medieval knight would be -- his sword seems not just a prop, nor merely a weapon, but an extension of himself. When you see Aragorn with his sword do you see a warrior, a philosopher, a lover, a fighter, a destroyer, a brigand, a king, a leader, a servant, a saviour, or something else?

Bonus: What is the sculpture behind Aragorn?

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Aug 23 2012, 3:32am)

Avnar
Lorien

Aug 23 2012, 10:26am

Post #2 of 19 (1262 views)
Shortcut
My favourite moment from the trilogy!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I always thought that Aragorn was "going to his death" in this scene. I think he was buying Frodo some time -but did not expect to live...

Runk Snusgrop
Rivendell

Aug 23 2012, 3:06pm

Post #3 of 19 (1233 views)
Shortcut
Re: [In reply to] Can't Post

I liked Dominic Monaghan's take on it in the commentaries, that it's basically a good luck charm or superstition or something for Aragorn - if he raises his sword to touch his forehead, he'll be fine.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Aug 23 2012, 7:44pm

Post #4 of 19 (1227 views)
Shortcut
Beautiful photo, Sir D. [In reply to] Can't Post

And the one of the hill and the trees is nice, too Wink

Seriously, I think Aragorn holding the sword up before his face is a Numenorean salute, something like, "We who are about to die salute you." Don't we see the Numenorean knights marching like that in the Prologue? When the Nazgul attack at Weathertop, aren't they holding their swords like that?

Which isn't to say that it couldn't also be the equivalent of a good-luck charm for Aragorn.

Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!

weaver
Half-elven

Aug 23 2012, 11:22pm

Post #5 of 19 (1201 views)
Shortcut
They are one...the Ranger and his sword, that is! [In reply to] Can't Post

For a minute I thought that your first shot was a Screencap I had not seen before, very well chosen! What a spectacular spot and very Amon Hen is right!

To me, Aragorn looks as resolute as his sword in your SCOD choice. It's like that line later about Sam -- his will was set, and only death would break it. I think they really captured, in Aragorn and his sword, that sense from the books about how enemies would just flee from this guy when he was in a fighting role.

The sculpture is part of the Seat of Seeing (is that it?); sorry don't have the book handy. It's the place that Aragorn goes in the book to try and see what he should do after Frodo runs off, right?

I did like how the sword was seen by Viggo and the various directors as an extension of Aragorn; in that way it really does magnify the character, or the particular quality of the character they wanted to emphasize each time.

Would be interesting to compare a number of the shots of Aragorn with his sword, just to see how much of his story you could tell about just by looking at them. I'm thinking of that shot from earlier in FOTR, when Boromir picks up the Ring in the snow, and you just get that quick view of him releasing his hand from the sword hilt, for example, and how much that tells you about what Aragorn is thinking, rather than saying, at that point.

Weaver

DesiringDragons
Lorien

Aug 23 2012, 11:46pm

Post #6 of 19 (1203 views)
Shortcut
He really looks like the epitome of a Hero here. [In reply to] Can't Post

This is a lovely cap. (And your Amon Hen is really beautiful!)

1. To me he looks like he's preparing himself mentally and gathering his energy/concentration - it's like the stylized stance that begins some Martial Arts matches.

2. The way he's backlit, with the light falling especially on his shoulders and hair, shows that he's surrounded by the light (figuratively and literally) and about to face the darkness.

3. I see a Crusader. The pose reminds me of knights on medieval monuments in cathedrals. Someone willing to fight and die for his beliefs and for a cause he believes in.

Argh, the sculpture! At first I thought it was that giant head, but that's clearly not it. It almost looks like an animal, but I can't make it out and haven't seen the film recently enough to recall. *shame*

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Aug 24 2012, 4:23am

Post #7 of 19 (1169 views)
Shortcut
That's almost exactly what I was thinking! [In reply to] Can't Post

To me he looks like he's preparing himself mentally and gathering his energy/concentration - it's like the stylized stance that begins some Martial Arts matches.

But that doesn't necessarily contradict the salute idea which also crossed my mind. I think many martial arts moves are partly ritual, so, in this case, it could be a ritual salute which is used to center himself.

As for the lighting, it reminds me of the concept a battle at high noon (I guess that's mostly from movie Westerns, but it applies here, I think). Also, the lighting is harsh, with lots of contrast between light and dark.

BTW, love your photo! It truly does look like the same place. Amazing!

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Aug 24 2012, 4:24am

Post #8 of 19 (1230 views)
Shortcut
"[He is] a [son] of kings... I do not think that will be [his] fate." [In reply to] Can't Post

There's one reason to not have read the book before the movies. The odds definitely do not seem in his favour but I knew he had to live to the end of the tale.

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on 0 secs ago)

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Aug 24 2012, 4:25am

Post #9 of 19 (1149 views)
Shortcut
Good memory [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks. I guess it's sort of like kissing the sword before a charge then?

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Aug 24 2012, 4:46am

Post #10 of 19 (1181 views)
Shortcut
Heh... [In reply to] Can't Post

will you ever forgive my light sabre comment? Laugh

I think you are right. The position is like a salute in fencing though the pommel is held a bit higher.

It is definitely more of a salute than it is a proper defensive or even offensive sword position... unless you are inviting your opponent to bounce it off your face.

Having said that, there is a long sword fencing stance called the Fool's Guard (aka low guard). But as the alternate name implies, the sword is held low exposing the upper body, inviting an attack... the attacker is the fool in such a case because it is a surprisingly good position to strike from. Of course this is different, though apparently as weak a stance to defend or attack from. But then Aragorn likely knows what he's doing.Laugh

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Aug 24 2012, 4:48am

Post #11 of 19 (1160 views)
Shortcut
"Enemies would just flee" [In reply to] Can't Post

The look of determination alone would be enough to frighten all but the stoutest of heart or most foolish opponent.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Aug 24 2012, 4:50am

Post #12 of 19 (1156 views)
Shortcut
Thank you [In reply to] Can't Post

as I said, the photo does not do the place justice... plus I had to really downgrade it to make the file size small enough to display here. I have a few other shots that I might put up on a photo sharing site when I get a chance.

I agree that it is a salute, one we see elsewhere in the films I think.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Aug 24 2012, 4:53am

Post #13 of 19 (1161 views)
Shortcut
I like your number 3 [In reply to] Can't Post

The pose reminds me of knights on medieval monuments in cathedrals. Someone willing to fight and die for his beliefs and for a cause he believes in.

Viggo in this role was quite an inspiration...

As for the statue, to me it looks like the backside of a crouching beast of some sort. The tail is quite thick which is throwing me a bit, otherwise I would say lion or some such thing.

Harold.of.Whoa
Rivendell

Aug 25 2012, 2:15am

Post #14 of 19 (1146 views)
Shortcut
Epic Hero [In reply to] Can't Post

Dijomaja has pointed out to me, in some other discussions, that many of the differences from the book in the movie portrayal of Aragorn can be related to the idea that Tolkien's character is written in a fashion reminiscent of of epic heroes, like Beowulf or Odysseus, whereas the movie Aragorn is much more after the fashion of a modern hero. I actually think of it in terms of realism more than modernism. Movie Aragorn is portrayed in a more realistic style than the book character, IMO.

This SCOD gives us just a small glimpse of Aragorn as Epic Hero, I think. He could almost be a graven image in Rath Dinen. I really like the grey palette and complementary background of stone and sunlit tree - by gosh, it's almost a white tree, isn't it? The splash of light around his shoulders and hair gives a nice effect, also.

By the end of this battle sequence, including the single combat with Lurtz, we are back to full realism, and Aragorn looks like a dog's breakfast. (Those Numenorian fingernails blacken quickly, don't they?)

Nightingale
Rohan

Aug 25 2012, 5:35pm

Post #15 of 19 (1130 views)
Shortcut
I always thought it was a salute [In reply to] Can't Post

but perhaps that goes back to me being a fencer. I loved the overtones of honour and chivalry that this added for me.
It did seem very 'Aragorn'. Not out of place at all.

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me" - C. S. Lewis

"That line between the earth and sky came beckoning to me..." - Laurie's Song

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Aug 27 2012, 8:35am

Post #16 of 19 (1088 views)
Shortcut
Laaaate post!!! Sorry, I've been in Poland, and have had very little access to ze internetss. Great SCOD Sir D :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Firstly that is a beautiful spot you have there in the pic Sir D! It really is Amon Hen! hehe.

1. What is Aragorn doing here? Yes I know he's waiting for the onslaught, but what do his posture and the look on his face tell us?

He is focusing himself utterly for the coming wave; a state of readiness and blocking of all other thoughts.

The white blossomed tree to the left is strongly lit, and to me is symbolic of the White Tree of Gondor in flower. Aragorn being the heir to the throne, and the rejuvenator of the kingdom.

3. Think back, way back to the image of Strider at Bree where he is seated with his sword leaning across his body (in case you don't remember click here). Aragorn is often depicted in a romantic way, as a Medieval knight would be -- his sword seems not just a prop, nor merely a weapon, but an extension of himself. When you see Aragorn with his sword do you see a warrior, a philosopher, a lover, a fighter, a destroyer, a brigand, a king, a leader, a servant, a saviour, or something else?

I see a Hero. In a way, a crusading knight; more than that, a King returning I suppose.

Bonus: What is the sculpture behind Aragorn?

Really hard to tell... a Swan on its side?... a Helmet-Head on its side?... an Eagle maybe.

Thanks Sir Dennis! :D

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

-I am a victim of Bifurcation- (credit to Elpidha)

Dwarves: 'Erebor!', 'Erebor!!', '..Erebor!'
Bilbo: .. It's only a CGI model
Dwarves: 'Shhhhh!'

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Aug 27 2012, 8:37am

Post #17 of 19 (1123 views)
Shortcut
yep that's what I was thinking, a Crusader. Or at least, the Romantic depiction of one. The truth was far from that image in most cases // [In reply to] Can't Post

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

-I am a victim of Bifurcation- (credit to Elpidha)

Dwarves: 'Erebor!', 'Erebor!!', '..Erebor!'
Bilbo: .. It's only a CGI model
Dwarves: 'Shhhhh!'

Escapist
Gondor

Aug 28 2012, 11:28pm

Post #18 of 19 (1176 views)
Shortcut
be careful where you're pointing that thing ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Becoming one with his sword

The lighting almost looks like it creates a saintly aura around Aragorn.

justice

I remember days when I used to try to imagine if locations around my locality might not be places of faery - somehow I lost track of that of that ... mostly ... it is interesting to see another person who does that.

Show or do not show, there is no tell.

Elenorflower
Gondor

Sep 16 2012, 11:13pm

Post #19 of 19 (1097 views)
Shortcut
It reminds me [In reply to] Can't Post

a lot of a similar pose that Aragorn does with Anduril in the tent. Elrond gives him the blade reforged and Aragorn holds up the sword and looks as determined as he does in that photograph.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.