Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
The Film Score - before or or after
Poll: The Film Score - before or or after
Listen before
Wait til after
Other/Not interested in the film score
View Results (37 votes)

macfalk
Valinor

Aug 20 2012, 8:18pm

Post #1 of 19 (518 views)
Shortcut
The Film Score - before or or after Can't Post

"we need a poll (on the Pollantir board) - NEW [In reply to] Quote | Reply To This Post
on 'do you listen before' or 'wait till after'.

It would be interesting to see where people stand."

-magpie

Happy to oblige! Cool

macfalk
Valinor

Aug 20 2012, 8:20pm

Post #2 of 19 (164 views)
Shortcut
For me, it's "before" [In reply to] Can't Post

I love sneak peaking at soundtrack, it does enhance my experience of it. I especially did this for Harry Potter and the deathly Hallows: Part 1 which OST's I had been listening to weeks before release, and it made me appreciate it even more (it pales in comparison with Howard Shore's LOTR score though. For me, nobody has gotten close as of yet. Maybe himself will beat it with his Hobbit-score.)

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 20 2012, 8:26pm

Post #3 of 19 (152 views)
Shortcut
I'll try and wait until after [In reply to] Can't Post

I have no sense of self-control, but would like to go into the cinema without it being totally spoiled. I'll try and resist the soundtracks - I'll ask for them for a Christmas present, so I don't buy them myself.

Ask me in 3 months time though. No doubt I'll change my mind. Wink

Edit: I hope the only pieces I will hear are from the trailer. There's no way I'm avoiding them!

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Aug 20 2012, 8:27pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 20 2012, 8:29pm

Post #4 of 19 (181 views)
Shortcut
hahah... More info for those of us in the room who need it [In reply to] Can't Post

The question (stated fully) is:

Do you like to listen to movie score CDs (or digital downloads) before the movie comes out (when you have the opportunity) ...

or wait till after you've seen the movie to listen recreationally?

My answer, copied off from a May post:

I absolutely listen to soundtracks before the movie comes out
...as much as possible.

I don't find anything about score music 'spoilerish'.

But, if I listen to the music before hand, it starts to sound familiar and I respond to it emotionally. Then, when I watch the movie, I respond both to the visuals and the score and it increases the enjoyment of my experience.

imin
Valinor

Aug 20 2012, 10:48pm

Post #5 of 19 (183 views)
Shortcut
Wait til after [In reply to] Can't Post

For me i would like to hear it the first time in the theatre, the way it was intended and i get the most out of it emotionally if i haven't heard it prior to watching the film. Its also nice to just have some surprises, lol.

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 21 2012, 1:21am

Post #6 of 19 (183 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure how you can say 'as it was intended' [In reply to] Can't Post

...if the soundtracks are released before the movie.

imin
Valinor

Aug 21 2012, 7:03am

Post #7 of 19 (129 views)
Shortcut
I feel it is intended to be listened to [In reply to] Can't Post

in the movie theatre whilst the movie is playing. This is what it was made for, though obviously many stand up to listening on their own before or after. Just as you dont feel it spoils anything and it gives you a greater emotional connection to the music if listened to beforehand, i feel the opposite so will avoid listening to as much as i can before the release of the movie.

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 21 2012, 7:07am

Post #8 of 19 (138 views)
Shortcut
It's a strange one [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, it doesn't spoil or give away anything from the films; but the score is still an important component of the film (once listened to, you know when I certain tragic or fast tune may come up). If I listen to the soundtrack beforehand, I'll be anticipating the next piece of music.

But it is a strange one. I'd happily be spoiled by vlogs, pictures/shots and trailers, but don't want to listen to the music.

DesiringDragons
Lorien

Aug 21 2012, 11:09am

Post #9 of 19 (138 views)
Shortcut
Depends on the film, but [In reply to] Can't Post

for The Hobbit? Definitely before. I want all spoilers, music, and information as soon as they become available.

No self-control at all and don't really want any. :)

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 21 2012, 1:40pm

Post #10 of 19 (115 views)
Shortcut
I wasn't questioning your choice [In reply to] Can't Post

...at all.

Only how we determine what is 'intended'.

You feel the intention is to listen during the movie. I feel the intention of a CD release is to listen to the music on the CD as soon as you can legally obtain it and then wish to listen to it.

Who have we identified as the person (or entity) who intends something?

And then how do we determine their intention without asking them?

It's a small matter. I just don't think, when I make my choice, I'm listening to the music in a way it wasn't intended to be listened to.

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 21 2012, 1:43pm

Post #11 of 19 (117 views)
Shortcut
see, I'm just the opposite [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll be very judicious in what kinds of information and possibly imagery I'm exposed to before the movie. Because those things can 'spoil' the experience for me.

But listening to the music has only ever enhanced my first viewing. It heightens my emotional reaction because the music is already meaningful - I've already connected to it on an emotional level. And so when it gets paired with the image and action, it takes my reaction to that a heightened plane.

It's all subjective. But it's interesting to me to get a sense of how other people think and feel.

RosieLass
Valinor

Aug 21 2012, 3:17pm

Post #12 of 19 (110 views)
Shortcut
This one, probably before. [In reply to] Can't Post

But some scores I don't discover until I've seen the films.

And others, I get the score because I like the composer, and I still haven't seen the films.

(This post was edited by RosieLass on Aug 21 2012, 3:17pm)

Wraith Buster
Gondor

Aug 21 2012, 4:48pm

Post #13 of 19 (107 views)
Shortcut
Usually after [In reply to] Can't Post

Just because I like to be surprised by what the soundtrack is like during the movie when everything is new and there are no spoilers. There are some cases like Green Lantern though where I have listened to the soundtrack a lot but haven't seen the movie. I need to get around to that! xD

imin
Valinor

Aug 21 2012, 5:17pm

Post #14 of 19 (106 views)
Shortcut
Sorry didnt mean to make you feel like you were doing something wrong [In reply to] Can't Post

I just meant, how i see it is - its music for a film and i think its at its best when listened to with the film (the first time).

I think its just a matter of coming at the music from complete opposite points of view. You find you get more emotion out of the music if you have listened to it previously. For me although i know i would like the music if i listened to it prior to going to see the film it would kinda spoil it for me as i know the music now and like daniellb says im waiting for my next favourite piece or to go 'ah thats what they put to such and such music' - i think i like the surprise factor in it, not knowing what is going to happen next and in the hobbit movies where the music will be used in a big way i just feel its a big part of the movie.

I didnt mean to say how i listen to it is right and if you buy the cd before hand that is wrong - sorry for that Smile

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 21 2012, 6:01pm

Post #15 of 19 (100 views)
Shortcut
Yup, I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

For me, the music will have a greater emotional impact on me the first time round if I'm watching the film at the same time. Personally, the score should be heard the first time, with the pictures it was originally composed to.

That's only for the first time though. Wink

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 21 2012, 8:26pm

Post #16 of 19 (101 views)
Shortcut
no, that's not what worried me [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought you felt that my asking about the definition of 'intended' meant I was questioning your choice. If you didn't feel I was, then I'm relieved.

I do find it fascinating to dig into why we feel what we do. I don't think we have to. We can just enjoy our feelings (or perhaps not). But when something seems so outside my realm of understanding, I appreciate when people open up the doors to their realm so I can see it from their perspective.

I think we probably do process music differently. Music becomes almost like air to me. I take it in and it interacts with me, but I don't *think* about it. I have done folkdancing for almost 25 years. And the type of folkdancing I do has the same structured figures always done to the same tune. And the tunes are not that long, for the most part. I move to the music. If I try to move without the music (while walking it through for newcomers), I hum the tune to myself. If the band gets off so they're playing A music while the dancers are dancing B figures, I can't dance. I just can't do it.

But, I realized I didn't *hear* the music such that I could appreciate the skill and nuances of the musicians. It all became part of this swirl of movement and sound and the interaction with my fellow dancers on the floor. I had to train myself to *hear* the musicians if I wanted to appreciate them as artist. It didn't come naturally.

The same thing happens in the movies. I don't consciously hear the music. It's all part of a global experience for me. So it isn't till after I've listened to the CD for a half dozen times that the beauty of the music rises to my conscious level. It doesn't have to, for me to enjoy the movie. But when it does, and I form an emotional attachment to the music, then that emotional reaction combines with the emotional reaction I'm having to the visuals or dialog and it's all heightened beyond what I'd feel for either on their own.

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 21 2012, 8:27pm

Post #17 of 19 (123 views)
Shortcut
I"ve got quite a few scores for movies I've not seen [In reply to] Can't Post

I even bought the score to Twilight Eclipse because Shore did it and I was curious. I have no intention of watching it and would have been slightly embarrassed at buying it but I pretended (to myself) that I was buying it for some niece of mine. :-)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Aug 22 2012, 5:10pm

Post #18 of 19 (112 views)
Shortcut
Other [In reply to] Can't Post

I was so wound up about FotR that I bought the score before it came out and learned to play In Dreams and May it Be on my harp for Christmas that year. I was less wound up about the other two movies. I think I have the score for RotK, but I haven't listened to any of them for years.

Radhruin
Rohan

Aug 22 2012, 11:15pm

Post #19 of 19 (255 views)
Shortcut
After [In reply to] Can't Post

I can understand imin's argument about a score being "intended" to be a part of the film, but I certainly wouldn't hesitate to listen to a score before I saw film if I was interested in the composer. I wouldn't consider listening before to be spoilerish.

That being said, I never think of pursuing a score before I've seen a film, since I am not that attached to any current composers, though I have much respect for the likes of Howard Shore and John Williams.

I love the feeling of being in the middle of a movie and suddenly the score makes the visuals and/or story "pop". That's delightful.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.