Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Just something to think about as theaters make the digitial transition

Sunflower
Valinor

Aug 20 2012, 3:56am

Post #1 of 7 (541 views)
Shortcut
Just something to think about as theaters make the digitial transition Can't Post

This article appeared in my local paper today:

"A new, harsh verite for cinemas"

It describes the impending plight of a small rural theater chain serving towns and villages in the Adirondack National Park. some of whose screens date back to the birth of film..as the article says, some of these theaters survived the Great Depression, but likely will not survive the switch to digital, for the various reasons cited. they will be the hidden, and perhaps little mourned, victims of such things as 48 fps...

Or do you think small theaters and chains like them can be saved? And do you agee or disagree that they "brought it upon themelves by refusing to invest in upgrading", as my local (in a big city) Arthouse theater, the Spectrum 8 mentioned in the article, owner suggests? Could they have afforded to? And shukd they be required to make the switch?

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Aug 20 2012, 4:03am)

Phibbus
Rohan

Aug 20 2012, 4:23am

Post #2 of 7 (206 views)
Shortcut
Link [In reply to] Can't Post

There seems to be an incorrect slash in the link, Sunflower. Try http://www.timesunion.com/...-cinemas-3798321.php

I honestly don't know what the solution is and suspect there will be some going out of business. The "virtual print fee" proposal sounds promising, but I doubt it would be sufficient for those in the extreme situations such as are exampled. Given the very large cut to costs on the distributors' end entailed by digital, they could probably afford a targeted film projector buyback program and still come out way ahead. I'm not sure they'd consider it worth their while, though, or if even that would be enough for some owners.

Man is but an ass if he go about to expound this dream.

TomthePilgrim
Rohan

Aug 20 2012, 4:39am

Post #3 of 7 (184 views)
Shortcut
I hope not . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

I intend to see the Hobbit in both 3d and regular, and I want to see it in regular at the Rose Theatre in Port Townsend. The Rose is an old theatre filled with character, and a tiny little one-row balcony. My first viewings of each of FOTR, TTT and ROTK were in that balcony.
Besides, there are no other theatres (except the old Uptown Theatre) within 40 miles. As it is, I'll have to go to Poulsbo or Olympia to see the 3d version . . . and i'm not sure how i'll like it. My previous experiences with 3d IMAX involved eyestrain and headaches afterwards.

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,

"Thorin sat up with a start. 'Something is not right,' he muttered to himself as he stood up and
looked towards the mirror . . . . . . . . . 'Durin's bones', he gasped, 'what's happened to my beard?'"

Sunflower
Valinor

Aug 20 2012, 4:41am

Post #4 of 7 (199 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

I noticed that when I origionally posted it...corrected it but i tried your link and it works, thanks. (ugh, I HATE long links:)

Yes....I agree...but I hope as many as possible can avoud sad fates like this. Isn't there some theater in NZ that has been dragging its feet on the switch? Or am I getting mixed up with the 48fps being installed in the Wellignton theater in time for Th...

Tim
Tol Eressea

Aug 20 2012, 10:15am

Post #5 of 7 (185 views)
Shortcut
Change is something business owners have to plan for [In reply to] Can't Post

I know I'm stating the obvious here, but in all business change is a factor and if business owners don't keep on top of change, they go out of business.

Not that I wish that anyone go out of business or don't care if someone goes out of business.

It's just the way of this world, especially with the rapid advancement of technology.

Of course, there are ways to avoid going out of business. One can change what they do for a living. Or hold fund-drives. Or merge with other businesses.

For those business owners who are truly creative and driven, they'll find a way to keep their doors open. On the whole, that's the kind of business owners we need, anyway.

King Arthur: You know much that is hidden oh Tim.

Tim: Quite.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Aug 20 2012, 2:06pm

Post #6 of 7 (143 views)
Shortcut
I'm soo lucky in Denver.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Our World-Class Museum of Natural History
not only has a Huge Imax it has a Planetarium.
Elsewhere there must be at least 5 scattered
around the Front Range from Boulder to
C. Springs.
I haven't gone to the Museum in a longtime
since I would want to stay for a week..it's That Huge.
You can even watch Dinosaur bones being cleaned
... behind glass!

Annael
Immortal

Aug 20 2012, 4:41pm

Post #7 of 7 (230 views)
Shortcut
the wonderful small theater in my small town (The Rose!) [In reply to] Can't Post

put out a call to the community for help with the $200,000 it would take to go digital. People responded and put in what they could (I gave $20). The major donors got plaques on the theater seats and their names listed on the screen before movie showings. They reached the goal very quickly, and since then have been thanking the community by offering free showings of classic movies.

Hi, neighbor Tom!

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

(This post was edited by Annael on Aug 20 2012, 4:42pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.