Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Have you ever resigned from a job?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Have you ever resigned from a job?
Yes
No
Still looking for a job!
Job? What job? TORn and Tolkien are my life!
Other, and here's what that means...
View Results (46 votes)

weaver
Half-elven

Aug 19 2012, 4:13am

Post #1 of 36 (878 views)
Shortcut
Have you ever resigned from a job? Can't Post

And if you did, what made you quit?

Bad boss?
Difficult coworkers?
Better opportunity?
Life change?

Share your bad job war stories or, if you've been lucky and only quit for good reasons, your nice career path tales here!

batik
Tol Eressea

Aug 19 2012, 4:35am

Post #2 of 36 (341 views)
Shortcut
why yes, yes I have... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it was a matter of principles. I was hired as a social worker and ended up being given the added duty of going round to give out pens and post-its (aka marketing). Not my thing. I did secure a different position before handing in my "I'm outta here" letter. I did take a cut in pay but have been happy about the decision.

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 19 2012, 6:29am

Post #3 of 36 (380 views)
Shortcut
The worst part-time job I had was working in a garden centre [In reply to] Can't Post

It was a very laborise job - loading and unpacking - and at 16 not the most of enjoyable of jobs. It didn't help that the boss was a nasty piece of work. We (all men working there had manual labour jobs) were not allowed to talk to the females (who all worked on the tills). The amount of times I was pulled aside! It was like living in the 1800's. In the summer, they wouldn't even put out an umbrella as shade for us. I'd have to find a boring task elsewhere just so I didn't burn.

To give you an idea of how busy it could get, during one Christmas period we sold a record of 600 Christmas trees in 1 day ... each personally loaded into people's cars. Never again.

I'm sure it's not the most mightmarish job out there, but why do you think I've stayed in full-time education since then Wink

macfalk
Valinor

Aug 19 2012, 8:56am

Post #4 of 36 (313 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

When I was younger, I was a football (that would be soccer for americans) referee for three years. I eventually resigned because of how unpleasant it could get each match where basically everyone is against you. That's a part of a referee's job, to handle that pressure, but it became too much sometimes.

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Aug 19 2012, 9:18am

Post #5 of 36 (297 views)
Shortcut
Yes, more than once. [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course, all this happened over a more than 40-year span. I quit my first job to move from Los Angeles, California, to Ohio. Then I quit my second job because I was pregnant and moving to California. After another move back to Ohio, I quit another job because I wanted to go to college. After that, I quit a job because of the boss and co-workers. I worked for two churches and quit because of the bad boss thing at both of them. Then I quit my last job because I retired -- which I did because my allergies were so bad and people wouldn't NOT wear perfume/scent just because I am allergic. OhioHobbit insisted that I quit because I was sick all the time. Now, I am a housewife and am certain I won't quit and really pretty certain I won't be fired!! Wink

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 19 2012, 11:39am

Post #6 of 36 (319 views)
Shortcut
Yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

About five years ago. I was actually part-time library/media at one school, but that town was cutting its budget more and more, and my job had already been on the line once. So when the same kind of job opened up, full-time year-round, in a nearby town, I went for it.

It meant a slight cut in hourly wage, but more than double the hours, plus benefits!

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 19 2012, 3:03pm

Post #7 of 36 (357 views)
Shortcut
Out of interest (and if you don't mind my asking), which football team? / [In reply to] Can't Post

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 19 2012, 5:13pm

Post #8 of 36 (340 views)
Shortcut
I've quit [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure the jobs I quit were elevated enough to earn the term resigning.

Very young... I took a job out of desperation in a rubber company. It made things like rubber boots for cars and stuff. The metal molds got dipped in rubber (or whatever) and then sent to the women who cut off the parts not needed with a hot knife we kept in a small fire. Sometimes we put sheets of rubber into a stamp to be cut with a die. My shift was 11pm to 7am. I was on my feet the whole shift and the smell of burning rubber was pervasive. I lasted two weeks.

I also quit the bridal gown store where I worked as a cashier. The place was run in a totally chaotic way. When it got busy, the consultants would literally thrown the gowns they were done with on the floor of the space I worked at because there wasn't enough time to hang them back up. They would also dump a dozen down payments (in cash) from brides and bridesmaids on my desk with only minimal paperwork to back them up and I'd have to sort through the bills and pieces of paper trying to get cash credited to the correct account. (and keep in mind, every other person's last name ended in 'son': Swenson, Johnson, Peterson, Carlson, Anderson - and there were lots of ubiquitous first names to go with them. So I might have 5 Mary Swensons in my account records.) Now add to that that my till kept coming up short. The boss would not hold me accountable because we both knew that 1) it was an impossible job to keep track of things during the busy time ... but more importantly, 2) the asst. manager was stealing from the till. I knew it and the boss knew it. It killed me to turn in a till that was short even though she insisted she didn't hold me accountable. I finally just decided I couldn't do it anymore and quit during the busiest month of the year... partly because I knew it was going to get worse.

Two other cashier jobs I quit: a restaurant where my till kept coming up short and I was held accountable. And a nutritional supplements store where they promised me a raise to bring up my wages from stupidly low to decent after a month trial. They didn't. I felt they were scamming me. I quit and threatened to sue them for the back wages for the raise I hadn't gotten. They said, 'you can't do that'. I said, 'we'll let the judge decide'. They sent me a check for a random amount and I considered it done and moved on.

Lately I've been thinking about the term 'life is short'. Well, in some ways, life is long. It's too long to live out unhappy or in misery.

the_argonath
Lorien

Aug 19 2012, 5:54pm

Post #9 of 36 (280 views)
Shortcut
Technically, yes [In reply to] Can't Post

I was working in a supermarket for 6 years when I applied for a job abroad on a whim. When I actually got the job, I realised I'd be stupid to turn it down for the sake of keeping my (albeit secure) weekend job, so I took a career break 2 years ago and just never went back....

Elizabeth
Valinor

Aug 19 2012, 7:01pm

Post #10 of 36 (258 views)
Shortcut
Twice because of long distance moves, once to retire.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Aug 19 2012, 7:42pm

Post #11 of 36 (307 views)
Shortcut
One job was such a mistake [In reply to] Can't Post

that I handed in my resignation on the third day. (I stayed another two and a half weeks to give them time to find someone.) They had far too few staff for what was required each week. My lesson was to definitely check a workplace in person and talk with those who work there before signing an employment agreement.

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 20 2012, 3:49am

Post #12 of 36 (319 views)
Shortcut
I forgot about, perhaps, the most significant resignation I've made [In reply to] Can't Post

I worked in the public schools for 7 years with K-2 students. It was a tough school and the administration at that school could be really, really dysfunctional, but it was - in many ways - a dream job. When my position was eliminated due to budget cuts (we all know how evil public schools are and how all the people who work for them are just money grubby, lazy bums... right?), I think I cried fairly consistently for about 6 weeks. I could move on, but I felt like these kids had so few people on their side that they were losing those of us who had to leave.

Since I was ready to move on, I didn't bid on another job. What I didn't realize was, if I didn't bid, the union just did it for me. I got a call from a principal in August telling me when to report. I had been placed in the early childhood and family section - otherwise - I was now a babysitter. And diaper changer. And toy bleacher. And room cleaner. And equipment lugger. I worked from 9 in the morning til 9 at night with a few hours off here and there - not enough time to go home so I'd just watch tv or read in the classroom. I wasn't able to vote that year because I didn't have time to make the polls with my hours. I was told there wasn't anything in my contract saying I had a right for time off to vote.

I am old. Too old for this. I think I slipped into a slight depression till a teacher I worked for asked me what my dreams were. I told her: to go back to school. What are you waiting for, she asked. Check it out over the weekend and tell me what you found when you come back next week.

I made an appt, found out classes were starting in one week. I came back on Monday and resigned on the spot. I told my manager, you don't know me from Adam and I would normally never do this but I can't do this job and I can't delay starting classes. So I went back to school at 52.

I think my position at ECFE was filled by the person I bumped. She loved the work. She loved the kids. It was good all around. We all deserved better: she, I, the teachers, and those kids ... than the situation as it was.

Getting a degree didn't work out like I'd hoped. The economy tanked and I was competing for work with people with BS degrees (I got and AAS) and 7 years experience. I'm working. Barely. But I'm happier than I could ever have been back with those crying babies. And I get to help people learn how to post pics and make cool footers for events. :-)

macfalk
Valinor

Aug 20 2012, 9:16am

Post #13 of 36 (267 views)
Shortcut
DanielLB [In reply to] Can't Post

Hmm, I'm not quite sure if I understand your question? Which football team?

I was referee for a lot of youth matches with a large variety of teams. It wasn't any particular team that was being extra hateful, but the general agressiveness from generally the coaches and the very loud parents on the side who acted disrespectul made me quit the job. Now as I am slightly older, and more mature, I think that I have a better chance of withstanding that pressure. Maybe I was just too young (I was referee from age 13 to 16)

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 20 2012, 9:31am

Post #14 of 36 (306 views)
Shortcut
Sorry macfalck [In reply to] Can't Post

That has to be the most stupid question I've ever asked anyone, in my entire life ...

I think I read it wrong when I originally asked you the question - I think I read it as you being a steward or linesman, or something (yes, I know ... completely different...).

*Hands macfalk a free "ignore all DanielLB" comments card* There you go, you can join Magpie in ignoring anything I say now Wink

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 20 2012, 3:09pm

Post #15 of 36 (266 views)
Shortcut
how did I get involved in this? [In reply to] Can't Post

Do I ignore you?

I have to say, though... as I read that I wondered, 'was that really the most stupid thing you've said?' because you are are like an excitable puppy in many ways and you don't always think ponderously before you post. So you've had a couple of moments where I've wondered just what you're thinking.

(ducks that apple flying my way)

:-P

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 20 2012, 3:15pm

Post #16 of 36 (258 views)
Shortcut
No, no. I gave you a free ignore me card a while back. [In reply to] Can't Post

It was for another time when I post some nonsense. And I do normally make mistakes when I don't proof read, when I'm in a rush, or as you say, when I'm an excitable puppy.

That wasn't one of those times though. I read referee, and *thought* : oh, I wonder for which team. I wasn't in an excited state, my brain just failed to function. Wink

Keep throwing those apples. Otherwise I'll keep posting rubbish. Better than spam, mind.

Delrond
Rohan

Aug 20 2012, 3:21pm

Post #17 of 36 (246 views)
Shortcut
That seems to imply [In reply to] Can't Post

you have "ignore me" cards for sale. Do you accept PayPal? And is there a volume discount?

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 20 2012, 3:23pm

Post #18 of 36 (263 views)
Shortcut
better than throwing spam? [In reply to] Can't Post

Keep throwing those apples. Otherwise I'll keep posting rubbish. Better than spam, mind.

Those cans would hurt if I threw them.

I was ducking the apple... which implies you were throwing it for my taking a jab at you.

just saying.

:-)

diedye
Grey Havens

Aug 20 2012, 3:23pm

Post #19 of 36 (249 views)
Shortcut
Why?... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
And if you did, what made you quit?

Bad boss?
Difficult coworkers?
Better opportunity?
Life change?

Since I've done it more than a couple of times, I'd say all of the above applies, but mostly either because it was soon after being hired and it turned out to have more cons than pros, or I was offered something better, or I was pushed to it.

But I've been laid off way more often than I've chosen to leave.... I don't quit very easily.

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 20 2012, 3:32pm

Post #20 of 36 (250 views)
Shortcut
There I go again! [In reply to] Can't Post

I tried my absolute best to type something sensible, without any mistakes, just to prove I wasn't an excitable puppy. I think I just proved you right Magpie Wink.

Reading, typing, thinking. It's a no go area today. Sorry Magpie.

I'll be throwing ignore me cards from my roof at this rate. It's a brain fart a minute! Delrond, yours is in the post as I type!

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Aug 20 2012, 3:36pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 20 2012, 3:38pm

Post #21 of 36 (272 views)
Shortcut
we all love you, Daniel Striped Tiger [In reply to] Can't Post

I can think of dozens of other types of posts that would annoy me much more quickly than brain farts. Especially ones that are kind of funny. Like the apples - spam thing.

Annael
Half-elven

Aug 20 2012, 4:52pm

Post #22 of 36 (256 views)
Shortcut
pretty much every one I've ever had [In reply to] Can't Post

never been fired or laid off, although I did have "seasonal" jobs in college that ended at a prescribed time. Usually I've chosen to leave because I've found a better job. I quit one job because my husband & I were moving to Oregon to build a second home for the family, and I've quit two jobs (including the last one) to go back to school. I've had some terrible bosses but in each case I've found another job first before quitting, even if they were the impetus, because it is SO satisfying to say to a rotten boss that you've got a better job and bye-bye! The worst boss I didn't even give notice to, I just left (I'd gotten a job in Alaska at the last second and the plane left that night). I didn't feel the slightest bit of compunction for leaving him in the lurch.

(This post was edited by Annael on Aug 20 2012, 4:59pm)

Annael
Half-elven

Aug 20 2012, 5:04pm

Post #23 of 36 (275 views)
Shortcut
this has made me think [In reply to] Can't Post

of the other way a bunch of us once dealt with a terrible boss: we got her demoted! It took six months and a lot of gathering of evidence and meetings with her supervisor, but we - every single person who worked under her - pulled it off. She had been hired solely because she was the boss's girlfriend, but by then she wasn't any more. I suppose he didn't dare fire her. She had absolutely no management skills or people skills. I used to run from a meeting with her to the bathroom to cry, she was so awful to me.

She had "pets," people she thought were good, although they hated being in that position. She gave a poor review to one woman (Jane) once for "lack of initiative"; when Jane asked her what that meant, she said "you refused to take on the so-and-so job." Jane said "that wasn't me, it was Mary Louise" (one of the pets). Our boss said "no, it was you." So Mary Louise went in and said "it was me that refused that job, I was too busy to take it on." Our boss looked right back at her and said "no, it was Jane."

Finally they did demote her to being one of the staff and she quit shortly thereafter. To replace her, they hired in the woman who was the best boss I have ever had and became my mentor, so I was glad I stuck it out.

(This post was edited by Annael on Aug 20 2012, 5:08pm)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Aug 20 2012, 8:26pm

Post #24 of 36 (235 views)
Shortcut
I said "Other" [In reply to] Can't Post

I've resigned from jobs that I intended from the beginning to be summer jobs, so that doesn't really count.

Once I interviewed for a job and was offered the job, and then turned it down because my husband had just gotten a job in a very different part of the state. Then his job fell apart (the company went bust) and I was kicking myself. But it all worked out, because my current job, which I've had since 1984, has been much closer to my family and my beloved mountains.

A member of my family was working at a meat packing plant after he couldn't find a job with his bachelor's in English. One day he cut his hand badly with the big knife he was using, and decided it wasn't worth risking losing a limb. He quit, and the man to whom he turned in his resignation told him he was worthless. But he went back to school and became a history professor.

Oh, and Uncle Baggins used to work construction, walking high beams, often without the OSHA-required safety ropes because his bosses told him not to use them. One day he woke up in a cold sweat and said, "I've got to stop doing that!" and resigned. I believe his guardian angel was talking to him.

Escapist
Gondor

Aug 21 2012, 3:03am

Post #25 of 36 (259 views)
Shortcut
Sometimes there are multiple reasons. [In reply to] Can't Post

I resigned once just to go to a new (and better) job. I resigned twice because of life changes (combined with moving to new and better jobs). I resigned once to go back to school full time as an adult (there was also a coworker who “helped me“ hold to that decision very firmly - and the whole institution was in the middle of transforming its identity). I have held numerous (usually repeated) positions with pre-set time limits.

That being said, I have encountered difficult coworkers and bosses too but have always been able to work things out on a professional level. I tend to view “difficult bosses” and “difficult coworkers” as symptoms of “difficult situations” and try to focus my attention on the situations more than the “flaws” of the people involved. On the other hand, I developed that habit from having another habit of getting into and surviving (refusing to give up on) said “difficult situations” until I was through with what I had agreed to do (situations which have often carried with them a list of people who did not survive more than a few weeks).

Even with all of that being said, there is that one guy that I decided to stop dealing with and let’s just say that this person was one of those people who got mentioned in more than one person’s exit interview. I had been able to work with them on a professional level anyway, incidentally, for as long as I had to. But I don’t think it would have been healthy for me to continue being exposed to this person.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.