The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Fan Art:
"Bilbo Teaches Sam His Letters"

labingi_maura
Rivendell

Oct 21 2007, 12:19am

Post #1 of 19 (3637 views)
Shortcut
"Bilbo Teaches Sam His Letters" Can't Post

I enjoy creating fan-art of the LOTR characters for fun. I started this piece originally for the annual "Tolkien_Forever" Hall of Fire party, and afterwards decided it needed more detail (sometimes its hard to know when to stop) so this is the final version. The idea was to show Bilbo encouraging both Sam and Frodo to read. Sam has a "primer" in the Commn Tongue, or Westron, while Frodo is reading a poem written in Elvish. I make the original line drawings in pencil, then scan them and add them together in a layered file. Then I add the shading in Photoshop. I wanted it to have a peaceful, homey mood with the fireplace and the lamps lit.
I have the drawing in its entirety and two closeups. I haven't tried adding images to this forum before, so I hope this works, and I hope you enjoy the illustration (and the close up views.)
-Maura Labingi (aka "primmy_b", my original ID)

"I am in fact a hobbit in all but size." - J.R.R.Tolkien
Attachments: Bilbo-teaching-Sam-his-let.jpg (67.0 KB)
  Bilbo-teaching (226 KB)
  Bilbo-teaching (177 KB)

Shadowfaxfan
Rivendell

Oct 21 2007, 7:17am

Post #2 of 19 (2853 views)
Shortcut
I really like it and it [In reply to] Can't Post

does have that warm homey feeling. Wish the Hobbit Pride contest was not closed since this would be a great entry. I noticed in your profile that you do freelance. Am I right to assume it includes art? I have been preparing to try it myself but am pretty nervous about taking the first step. New things can always be a challenge I guess. I like your location-Left coast.

A myth is far truer than a history, for a history only gives a story of the shadows, whereas a myth gives a story of the substances that cast the shadows.~Annie Besant
Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion. It seizes a person whole, and once it has done so, he will have to accept that his life will be radically changed. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

orcbane
Gondor

Oct 21 2007, 12:31pm

Post #3 of 19 (2853 views)
Shortcut
Very well done! [In reply to] Can't Post

The facial expressions are great. I like Frodo's in particular.

Isn't it interesting how the film characters are so imbedded in our minds, so as to become (to many I am assumimg) the primary versions ?

labingi_maura
Rivendell

Oct 21 2007, 6:29pm

Post #4 of 19 (3067 views)
Shortcut
Thank you [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, I am a freelance illustrator & graphic designer, and do product development as well for such things as figurines and toys. I had an advantage when deciding to go freelance: I had worked as a character artist for many years in the consumer products division of an entertainment company and had made many contacts. Most of my assignments come from my former employers: the people I used to work with who are still there or who now work for other studios. There are artist agencies and representatives who can get you projects, also; that may be a good route to take when you are just starting out in the business. You can also start out doing freelance part-time while you keep your currrent job, and build up your contacts that way.
-ML

labingi_maura
Rivendell

Oct 21 2007, 6:40pm

Post #5 of 19 (2843 views)
Shortcut
the film actors as the characters [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you orcbane. Yes, I like the films so much that I can only think of the characters as looking like the film actors, now, as well as the film settings, props, costumes, etc. I think the films are all just so beautifully designed and so "right" in the visual styles chosen for the different cultures of Middle Earth, thanks to Alan Lee, John Howe, and the WETA designers. What I like to envision are scenes that did not appear in the films, like this one, and sometimes scenes that are in the films but from a different camera-angle, as it were.
-ML

orcbane
Gondor

Oct 21 2007, 7:57pm

Post #6 of 19 (2843 views)
Shortcut
I agree with Christopher Lee's [In reply to] Can't Post

comment about the film actually improving upon the book in some ways. It is hard to define, but to make the films a great work (I'll call it a masterpiece!) certain things I believe had to change, and change drastically. It was in the hands of the film-makers and cast and they did better then I could ever have imagined.

labingi_maura
Rivendell

Oct 21 2007, 8:57pm

Post #7 of 19 (2820 views)
Shortcut
and I agree with you... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that the films deserve the title "Masterpiece." I didn't know that Christopher Lee had said that, though! I am both surprised and pleased; I thought he was such a Tolkien purist that he wouldn't think that the books could be improved upon in any way. Well, you learn something new every day.
-ML

orcbane
Gondor

Oct 21 2007, 10:25pm

Post #8 of 19 (2841 views)
Shortcut
It was in one of [In reply to] Can't Post

extended edition documentaries or appendixes, that Christopher Lee made the comment. But which one ??!! I think it was at the same time he talks about being put-out over the ammount of 'takes' PJ shoots on camera. But then goes on to explain how PJ likes to piece together things with different delivery styles.

Shadowfaxfan
Rivendell

Oct 22 2007, 9:29am

Post #9 of 19 (2825 views)
Shortcut
Thank you very much for [In reply to] Can't Post

sharing the information, you have given me some hope in trying to pursue freelancing. I don't know if I will succeed but if I don't try I will never knowSmile I have had so many people tell me that I should pursue using my art talent to bring in an income but then they are not in the industry, so I have been very wary of my ability.

Thanks again, Karen

A myth is far truer than a history, for a history only gives a story of the shadows, whereas a myth gives a story of the substances that cast the shadows.~Annie Besant
Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion. It seizes a person whole, and once it has done so, he will have to accept that his life will be radically changed. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

White Gull
Lorien

Oct 24 2007, 6:20pm

Post #10 of 19 (2805 views)
Shortcut
That is truly lovely!// [In reply to] Can't Post

labingi_maura
Rivendell

Oct 24 2007, 7:14pm

Post #11 of 19 (2816 views)
Shortcut
Thank you [In reply to] Can't Post

Some of my earlier LOTR drawings are at this site, if you'd like to see them:
http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z83/Primmy_B/Drawings/
And if anyone wants to make a copy of a drawing just for yourself, all I ask is that images I've made not be re-copied, mass-produced, sold, linked to or used without permission. The powers that be would send their laywers after *me*
since my name is on the work.
Thanks,
-ML, aka "primmy_b"

Patty
Immortal

Oct 24 2007, 10:24pm

Post #12 of 19 (2832 views)
Shortcut
This is wonderful..and it's now [In reply to] Can't Post

my new desktop wallpaper.

For Gondor!

labingi_maura
Rivendell

Oct 25 2007, 2:48am

Post #13 of 19 (2852 views)
Shortcut
I'm glad you're enjoying it! [In reply to] Can't Post

I never thought of my grey-toned/monochrome drawings as being suitable for computer wallpaper before!
Thanks,
-ML

elvenhobbit
Rohan

Dec 16 2007, 10:08pm

Post #14 of 19 (2751 views)
Shortcut
I wish i had such talent - amazing and wonderful [In reply to] Can't Post

Elven by name, Hobbit by nature

'Road lead ever on and on
down from the door where it began
now far ahead the road has gone
down from where all began' -FOTR-

and through all the world has changed
the ages come and go with time
and yet those remain unchanged
unto they journey westward
over the sea...

labingi_maura
Rivendell

Dec 18 2007, 12:41am

Post #15 of 19 (2880 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, and new drawings [In reply to] Can't Post

That's such a nice compliment, thank you elvenhobbit. I've added both some older and newer pieces to my PhotoBucket account. If you'd like to view them, please go to:
http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z83/Primmy_B/
and look in the sub-folder called "LOTR Drawings."
All the images in that sub-folder have been tagged and have some descriptions with them, hopefully making it easier to find and view them.
best wishes,
Maura Labingi, aka "primmy_b" (my original ID)

ithilien

Dec 20 2007, 2:59am

Post #16 of 19 (2772 views)
Shortcut
saruman's end [In reply to] Can't Post

i thought lee had taken issue with jackson's decision to both finish him off at isengard and keep the death scene out of the theater version. and i'm sorry but in my opinion many wrong editorial decisions were made.

labingi_maura
Rivendell

Dec 20 2007, 5:22pm

Post #17 of 19 (2796 views)
Shortcut
RE Christopher Lee's thoughts about the films [In reply to] Can't Post

I too would like to have seen more than a few things done differently in the films, including keeping "the scouring of the Shire" intact. Then we would have seen Saruman's and Wormtongue's deaths at the right place and time. But overall I think PJ captured the... well, "essence" of the stories (for lack of a better word) in film form. The goals, motivations, etc. of the characters and the feelings came through (for me, anyway.) But I wouldn't complain if, at some time in the future, a film-maker wanted to make a literal word-for-word cinematic interpretation of LOTR!

Whitelighter
The Shire

May 12 2009, 6:13am

Post #18 of 19 (2851 views)
Shortcut
Sam [In reply to] Can't Post

Nice job with the pics - you really made the characters look like the actors in the film. And THANK YOU for not making Sam fat in your drawing. I don't know where Jackson got the idea that Sam was fatter than the other hobbits. I don't remember this stated in the books anywhere. In your drawing he looks like Astin did in "Goonies".

Frodo Baggins
Bree

Jul 21 2011, 6:34pm

Post #19 of 19 (2871 views)
Shortcut
youve got it wrong [In reply to] Can't Post

not the best

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.