Why 48fps will get a limited release

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Aug 16 2012, 12:46pm

Post #1 of 23 (963 views)
Shortcut
Why 48fps will get a limited release Can't Post

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/...-hobbit-48fps-360464

In the last line Dan Fellman explains "the option of digital cinema satellite delivery is not yet ready to accommodate a 48fps movie, and so The Hobbit’s initial release will use a 48fps Digital Cinema Package (the digital equivalent of a film print) shipped to theaters on hard drives."

What this means is that, because digital projectors do not use film, they acquire their movies by downloading them off of a satellite stream. It's this download process that is currently incapable of supporting 48fps. So a select few cinemas will have a hard-drive version sent in post (similar to how film is distributed) so that they can display it at 48fps.

So if anyone is going to ask their cinema if they are capable of displaying 48fps. If they answer yes, it does not necessarily mean The Hobbit will be shown that way. Because they need the digital package version rather than the download. (I doubt cinema staff will know anything about this, so it could get confusing)

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Aug 16 2012, 12:48pm)

stoutfiles
Rohan

Aug 16 2012, 12:54pm

Post #2 of 23 (500 views)
Shortcut
Nice catch [In reply to] Can't Post

Everyone should do their homework when deciding which theater to go to for 48fps.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Aug 16 2012, 1:07pm

Post #3 of 23 (533 views)
Shortcut
That argument doesn't make much sense. [In reply to] Can't Post

Because digital films have been shipped on hard drives for years, that's nothing new.

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 16 2012, 1:18pm

Post #4 of 23 (471 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the heads-up QT! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll be emailing all the cinemas in a reasonable radius from where I live. If I can get a ticket, I might just go to London.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Aug 16 2012, 1:29pm

Post #5 of 23 (482 views)
Shortcut
Aditionally, i wonder... [In reply to] Can't Post

... what the big problem is with downloading a 48fps film. It's basically data, zeroes and ones, only bigger since it's double the frames. So, if bandwith doesn't allow for faster transfers, start with your downloads a little earlier.

stoutfiles
Rohan

Aug 16 2012, 1:43pm

Post #6 of 23 (490 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps the current Integrated Media Block isn't fast enough [In reply to] Can't Post

So the harddrive they're sending can push data faster? If they can't download it, then it sounds like a hardware issue.

I'm just guessing here.

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Aug 16 2012, 1:51pm

Post #7 of 23 (473 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure I agree with that. [In reply to] Can't Post

As I understand it shipping hard disks is by far the most common form of digital film distribution with only a few of the larger chains using downloads.

I am not at all sure there is an implicit "because" before the article's comments on this.

LR

Mithrandír
Lorien

Aug 16 2012, 4:17pm

Post #8 of 23 (394 views)
Shortcut
hmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

As far as I know, none of the largest cinemas in Norway are using the kind of distribution the article mentions. They used to download the films via sattalite, but now they mostly use super broadband or "cabel" which gives extreme downloading speeds. BUT, a film in 5k is large, typically 5 terrabytes, or more and the high speed tech. is not a decentralized technology. Which means that in my case it only operates within Norway. So norwegian cinema is not able to "download" the hobbit from the distributor at high speed, which means that in all probability the 5k version will not be distributed to our cinemas if the high speed technology isn't decentralized.

Social Science's biggest problem, is social science.

"The ring has awoken. It's heard its masters call"

(This post was edited by Mithrandír on Aug 16 2012, 4:25pm)

Mithrandír
Lorien

Aug 16 2012, 4:27pm

Post #9 of 23 (384 views)
Shortcut
Just to add [In reply to] Can't Post

Our cinemas mostly gets digital films from Hollywood and the like from hard drives.

Social Science's biggest problem, is social science.

"The ring has awoken. It's heard its masters call"

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Aug 16 2012, 5:43pm

Post #10 of 23 (385 views)
Shortcut
Right, but not 48fps ones, I guess [In reply to] Can't Post

I assume it's an expensive process delivering such a big movie via hard-drives. Maybe that's why they chose only select cinemas.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Aug 16 2012, 6:47pm

Post #11 of 23 (347 views)
Shortcut
I'm sure there are many reasons for its limited release [In reply to] Can't Post

As everyone here knows, I for one hope this technology proves to be a dead end.

Though I sympathize with PJ, as it is never a fun thing to see something you have championed and advocated for so long go nowhere.

Marionette
Rohan

Aug 16 2012, 7:23pm

Post #12 of 23 (321 views)
Shortcut
Doesn´t affect me [In reply to] Can't Post

I wasn´t going to see the movie in 48 fps anywayz, becoz if the theaters need some extra technology to show it, then I don´t think theaters here will have the technology up to December, and if they will, I wouldn´t pay excesive prices for a ticket to watch the 48 fps movie anywayz.
At least in Latin America I doubtfully belive they will add extra technology to movie theaters to show The Hobbit. It would need a lot of time.

And in Venezuela extra technology means to pay extra money to get it. So, no thank you.

Just saying.

"Dear friend good bye, no tears in my eyes. So sad it ends, as it began"
Queen

R11
Lorien

Aug 16 2012, 9:42pm

Post #13 of 23 (285 views)
Shortcut
I think [In reply to] Can't Post

The limited release in 48 fps is simply a result of a pulling back due to the public backlash that resulted from their ill fated showing of the unfinished footage at the cinema-con. I'm sure it scared the heck out of the studio and gave them a shot of reality regarding the difficulty with which change and public perception often happens. Beyond the poor decision to show the unrepresentative, unfinished footage to an audience that had no understanding of what they were supposed to be looking at (and therefore completely misinterpreted/reported what they saw), there's a giant, entrenched base of film lovers who will take every opportunity to bitch loudly about anything that threatens their beloved status quo.

Personally I would have loved to see the first film in 2D, 48 fps. For me 3D is simply a distraction which takes away more than it adds. But it would have been sweet to see the movie without strobbing and with the increased clarity from reduced motion blur. Sadly that's a combination that I'm sure will not be an option now on this go round. I could catch a 3D/48fps showing but the higher frame rate is really a much more minor thing that would be nice to have but isn't worth watching the 3D to get, for me.

ron

Snaga
Lorien

Aug 16 2012, 11:41pm

Post #14 of 23 (259 views)
Shortcut
It would be nice if WB or some other source posts which theaters will have the 48fps [In reply to] Can't Post

package as December nears.

Let me be the first to invite anybody at these boards to post a thread if they find any information on this.

"Alas for Boromir! It was too sore a trial!"

-Faramir

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 17 2012, 7:20am

Post #15 of 23 (227 views)
Shortcut
I hope so too [In reply to] Can't Post

And it seems likely they will, since PJ (and the studio) will be inundated with questions regarding where they can watch it.

TheRealBeren
Rivendell

Aug 17 2012, 11:33am

Post #16 of 23 (229 views)
Shortcut
I reckon not even open air cinemas will feature The Hobbit.Pitty [In reply to] Can't Post

Next thing you know, The Hobbit will get a limited release overall and you wouldn't even be able to watch the film, unless driving 500 km to the nearest multiplex.

(This post was edited by TheRealBeren on Aug 17 2012, 11:34am)

Patty
Immortal

Aug 17 2012, 1:02pm

Post #17 of 23 (208 views)
Shortcut
This is my hope, too. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have every intention of seeing this "event", but I can't be driving around to find out who is going to have it in 48fps. If we don't get it here in Indy, Chicago is too far for me to drive to see it. If we don't get it, I doubt Cincy will have it either.

Permanent address: Into the West

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Aug 17 2012, 3:09pm

Post #18 of 23 (228 views)
Shortcut
It sounds callous and disrespectful [In reply to] Can't Post

But I hope the 48fps release receives the bad press it deserves, and that this so-called "innovation" goes the way of the dodo.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Aug 17 2012, 3:51pm

Post #19 of 23 (206 views)
Shortcut
It won't [In reply to] Can't Post

No offence, but you haven't seen what The Hobbit looks like in 48fps, so you can't possibly say that it deserves bad press. Seeing, what sounds to me like a bad example of 48fps doesn't mean that you now know more than Peter Jackson or James Cameron about cinematography. None of us know what 48fps looks like on a project this expensive. Even the Cinemacon audience only got a brief and unfinished taste. Do you really think that they'd push a technology that requires such a huge and expensive change if it didn't genuinely add something to the experience?

I hope that somehow you get a look at the 48fps version and I hope that you find you really like it. Something tells me though, that even if you do, you'll refuse to admit it.

R11
Lorien

Aug 17 2012, 5:26pm

Post #20 of 23 (197 views)
Shortcut
I find it funny [In reply to] Can't Post

I think you are likely spot on with these comments. Unless a person actually views a real, high production value movie made using higher frame rate then they really have no basis to make all encompassing, sweeping generalizations condemning the practice. When I read continued comments about soap opera look it's a giant red flag that indicates that the person was reacting to something other than higher frame rate. The stark look of the early soap operas was a direct result of low production values. When ever someone makes odd comments about something like that without really even having given it a realistic chance you just have to suspect some kind of agenda or other motive. Why get all jacked up over something that's really relatively minor to begin with anyway?

ron

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Aug 17 2012, 5:35pm

Post #21 of 23 (193 views)
Shortcut
You put it nicer than I did... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't want to come across as if I'm attacking SA. I have great respect for him and I know he understands Tolkien much better than I do. But I'm a big technophile, and I've seen and liked (to some extent) 48 and 60fps. so I'm a little sensitive to his negative comments.

By all means, express a concern for the use of the format. But you can't say in a matter-of-fact way that it is bad until you've seen it in full - which at this point nobody has.

cameragod
Lorien

Aug 17 2012, 8:38pm

Post #22 of 23 (192 views)
Shortcut
both of you have put it nicer than I would [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm tired of the attacks based on an imagine viewing of some fictional doco that he can't even tell us what it was shot on.
I would suggest he is flogging a dead horse... but that is another thread.

All artists are prepared to suffer for their work, but why are so few prepared to learn to draw? :BANKSY

"A Cameraman without a camera is just a man." Stephen Press

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Aug 17 2012, 10:06pm

Post #23 of 23 (247 views)
Shortcut
I will watch it in 3D, 48fps [In reply to] Can't Post

Just to test my feelings on it. I am indeed open to having my mind changed.

But from what I have seen of 48fps, coupled with early reactions to the Hobbit at that speed, I do not expect it to be much different than my expectations.

In general, my visual tastes are very specific, and I can't see in what form this will work for me.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.