Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Concerning possible Werewolves, Vampires, Wights et al at Dol Guldur.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Aug 15 2012, 4:44am

Views: 1394
Shortcut
Concerning possible Werewolves, Vampires, Wights et al at Dol Guldur. Can't Post

While I am admittedly much more of a purist, in many regards, than the majority of the "film first" group and those who are as much fans of Peter's adaptations as they are of the novels, it seems to me that some purists have a vision so rigid that it causes them to sometimes declare facts about the stories that are never clearly affirmed or refuted by the text.

One such issue is the Werewolves and Vampires who may or may not inhabit Dol Guldur and the surrounding region. The lore of the servants of Sauron would certainly support their inclusion, but the issue I hear the most contention about is their portrayl. The notion is generally that neither werewolves nor vampires should ever be shown in or suggested to have human forms, because didn't intend them that way. . . but this is a rather strict interpretation. I know what the lore says about wolves and fell bats inhabited with evil Maiar spirits. . . but this really is not entirely exclusive of shape shifting monsters. The lore is full of shape-shifters. Beorn is, essentially, a werebear, in the strictest meaning of the word. Draugluin, The Father of Werewolves, and the Vampire Turwengeitheil, The Lady of Shadows, were both Maiar. And of course there is Sauron himself, with his penchant for taking varied forms. Many among the Maiar took various shapes (unless they became locked in a form for the duration of its sustainability).

At the end of the day, while I am not arguing that it should be handled so, there is nothing in the lore which refutes the possibility of any of these monsters having hybrid forms, or being seen to alter their shape.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Subject User Time
Concerning possible Werewolves, Vampires, Wights et al at Dol Guldur. AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Aug 15 2012, 4:44am
    Don't mix 21st Century mythology with medieval mythology. Elizabeth Send a private message to Elizabeth Aug 15 2012, 7:47am
        I don't think I follow, sorry. Lacrimae Rerum Send a private message to Lacrimae Rerum Aug 15 2012, 10:14am
        Do you mean Twilight as a modern version? Seaber Send a private message to Seaber Aug 15 2012, 10:36am
        Men transforming into abnormally large, somewhat monstrous wolves AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Aug 15 2012, 10:47pm
            Well there is another fiver gone Lacrimae Rerum Send a private message to Lacrimae Rerum Aug 15 2012, 11:06pm
                And here I was just about to thank you AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Aug 16 2012, 12:03am
                    It's meant very affectionately, I hasten to add! NT Lacrimae Rerum Send a private message to Lacrimae Rerum Aug 16 2012, 12:09am
                        All right then AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Aug 16 2012, 1:05am
    i would like very much... MouthofSauron Send a private message to MouthofSauron Aug 15 2012, 8:14am
    Shapeshifters Crunchable Birdses Send a private message to Crunchable Birdses Aug 15 2012, 9:02am
        If they just said A shapeshifter Seaber Send a private message to Seaber Aug 15 2012, 9:44am
        Good point on the wording DarkJackal Send a private message to DarkJackal Aug 15 2012, 2:29pm
        I am resistant to either . . . TomthePilgrim Send a private message to TomthePilgrim Aug 15 2012, 2:53pm
            It really depends how they are done Unspoken_Request Send a private message to Unspoken_Request Aug 15 2012, 3:24pm
            Tone is more important than content. Bumblingidiot Send a private message to Bumblingidiot Aug 15 2012, 3:42pm
                It's never very Celtic to begin with Shelob'sAppetite Send a private message to Shelob'sAppetite Aug 15 2012, 4:24pm
                    Celtic 2 Rangers 3 Bumblingidiot Send a private message to Bumblingidiot Aug 15 2012, 6:29pm
                    Not a huge part of the book, but I've always found the Barrow-downs evocative of Celtic culture Flagg Send a private message to Flagg Aug 15 2012, 6:57pm
                        Burial mounds and barrows. Bumblingidiot Send a private message to Bumblingidiot Aug 15 2012, 7:21pm
                        I always thought of the barrows Shelob'sAppetite Send a private message to Shelob'sAppetite Aug 15 2012, 9:24pm
                            Barrows and woods. Bumblingidiot Send a private message to Bumblingidiot Aug 16 2012, 12:22am
            Dol Guldur might be considered a place of horror. Hanzkaz Aug 15 2012, 4:07pm
    I'd rather they not show up stoutfiles Send a private message to stoutfiles Aug 15 2012, 12:24pm
        New creatures expand the mythological feeling of Middle Earth Unspoken_Request Send a private message to Unspoken_Request Aug 15 2012, 2:25pm
            I would say the more fantastic creatures are less common - Hanzkaz Aug 15 2012, 3:57pm
                Agreed and I hope this is made clear in the movies Unspoken_Request Send a private message to Unspoken_Request Aug 15 2012, 4:37pm
    Reply imin Send a private message to imin Aug 15 2012, 12:31pm
    Werewolves and Vampires and Wights, oh my! Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Aug 15 2012, 4:15pm
    I too wouldn't mind seeing Vampires and Werewolves Ziggy Stardust Send a private message to Ziggy Stardust Aug 16 2012, 1:17am
        Great info Ziggy, AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Aug 16 2012, 2:37am
            Thanks Ziggy Stardust Send a private message to Ziggy Stardust Aug 17 2012, 12:37am
        Tolkien's Werewolves... Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Aug 16 2012, 4:42am
            Dragluin certainly could speak, AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Aug 16 2012, 4:48am
                Draugluin? Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Aug 16 2012, 5:00am
            Yes, I think so, Ziggy Stardust Send a private message to Ziggy Stardust Aug 17 2012, 12:42am
                I dont' think Tolkien's Werewolves ever looked human... Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Aug 17 2012, 1:55pm
                    I don't think there's any suggestion Shelob'sAppetite Send a private message to Shelob'sAppetite Aug 17 2012, 3:14pm
                        Well, Arda does have its share of shapeshifters kzer_za Send a private message to kzer_za Aug 17 2012, 3:19pm
                        No, however... Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Aug 17 2012, 4:21pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.