Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Happy International Left-Handers Day.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Delrond
Rohan

Aug 13 2012, 6:11pm

Post #1 of 42 (322 views)
Shortcut
Happy International Left-Handers Day. Can't Post

To all my fellow lefties, have a great day! And now a word from our sponsors. Some useless trivia:
-Of the five people that designed the Macintosh computer, four were left-handed. -According to SAT results, left-handed students have higher math scores than right-handed students do. -The only astronaut to fly in all three space programs, Mercury, Gemini and Apollo, was left-handed Wally Schirra. -Some of the most famous left handed people from yesteryear are without doubt some of the greatest and influential individuals who have ever lived. The likes of Horatio Nelson, Leonardo Da Vinci, Michelangelo, Pablo Picasso, Julius Caesar, Wolfgang Amedeus Mozart, Ludwig Van Beethoven, Winston Churchill, Napoleon Bonaparte - and Josephine, Queen Victoria, Alexander the Great, Joan of Arc, Marie Curie, Benjamin Franklin, Henry Ford and a personal favorite, Albert Einstein. Do you have a favorite lefty-designed item? I would have to say some of the simple things, like a soup ladel and coffee mug. The most annoying thing to me were those right-handed desks we used in college lecture halls. One other thought, I am the only lefty in my entire family. However, I have three nieces (who are sisters) that are lefties on Mrs. D's side of the family. That's about it, unless you can tell me if any of the LOTR characters were lefties. Carry on.

A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Aug 13 2012, 8:00pm

Post #2 of 42 (229 views)
Shortcut
As a south-paw, I say 'Huzzah!' // [In reply to] Can't Post

"Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house." - Aragorn

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Aug 13 2012, 8:28pm

Post #3 of 42 (171 views)
Shortcut
Well.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...movie-Theoden is left-handed. But I'm not sure if any of the book characters are named as lefties.

Me, I'm an ordinary right-hander, although, for some weird reason, I knit left-handed. Go figure. Laugh

Have a great day!

Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Aug 13 2012, 8:37pm

Post #4 of 42 (196 views)
Shortcut
I think my brother may have been a lefty with righty tendencies. [In reply to] Can't Post

I distinctly remember my father switching my brother's spoon or pencil from his left hand to his right hand when he was very little. He went all through school as a righty, but could still do stuff with his left hand.

Then, in 1999, he got shot in the right forearm by a bad guy. (My brother's a cop.) He lost the ability to do many things with his right hand, but his left hand seemed to pick right up where it had left off so many years ago. His hand writing actually improved with the switch, so that's why I think he was originally left-handed. Laugh

Did any lefties ever have to contend with left handed scissors? One of my child hood friends is left handed, and I remember that she struggled with both right and left handed scissors.

And suddenly the Tornadoes saw afar off a greenlight, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame;
and they knew that this was no vision only, but that PJ had made a new thing: The Hobbit, the Film that Is.

Delrond
Rohan

Aug 13 2012, 9:39pm

Post #5 of 42 (191 views)
Shortcut
Scissors? [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember fighting (not literally) for the only pair of green-handled scissors in some grade school classes. Funny thing is, as I have grown older, I use only righties and seem to have lost the ability to use left-handed ones entirely.Shocked

I am sorry to hear that about your brother. Is he still on the street or has he migrated up the food chain? Three of my bro-in-laws are/were police officers; one was shot in the leg and fully recovered. One of the other two was also in Desert Storm and was shot at repeatedly. He does not talk about it much, but I know he saw some unspeakable horrors there.

Delrond
Rohan

Aug 13 2012, 9:56pm

Post #6 of 42 (154 views)
Shortcut
Well! [In reply to] Can't Post

I can relate to that. Ever since I picked up my first guitar I have played right-handed. Same goes for golf (the every 5 years or so that I dust off the bag). Also use a righty computer mouse.

The day has been less than spectacular as it is my first day to work after vacation. 5 AM rolled around mighty early.Smile

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 13 2012, 10:49pm

Post #7 of 42 (207 views)
Shortcut
Non-discriminating scissors [In reply to] Can't Post

I recently purchased some either-hand scissors for our library. No discrimination allowed here! Laugh

One of my brothers was a lefty, but back in the '50s and '60s, they had no idea how to teach him printing and writing, so he ended up using a typewriter most of the time.

My mom-in-law is a lefty; at a craft fair this summer, we picked up some hand-made cooking utensils for left-handers (you could get them right-handed, also). The things one never thinks about: having to stir and pour from the left side!

I'm sorry that that your brother was shot (we never thank our police officers enough!), I think you're quite right that he's really a lefty!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Aug 14 2012, 4:28am

Post #8 of 42 (163 views)
Shortcut
Because of the difference in the way the blades cross, [In reply to] Can't Post

there's no such thing as 'either-hand' scissors - they're just righty scissors with neutral handles. I know because my righty mom wouldn't allow any of our teachers to make my sister or me use anything but the 'real' lefty scissors! (sorryCrazy)

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - getting thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit from Bag End to the Lonely Mountain by December 2012; and that same much enriched Hobbit back to Bag End by December 2013

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Aug 14 2012, 4:37am

Post #9 of 42 (174 views)
Shortcut
My left-handed bread knife [In reply to] Can't Post

I can cut nice slices of bread, not those weird diagonal-across-multiple-planes ones!

I'm a second-generation lefty: my dad and his brother, my sister and me. My sister's son is a lefty, we'll have to wait a bit to find out what her daughter will do. And my kids are both righties. sigh. I love them anyway!

When my sister was getting her arts administration degree, her class had an assignment to design a museum exhibit. For hers, she proposed a 'lefty-world' exhibit, in which everything was perfectly ordinary, but designed for left-handed convenience, down to the placement of switches, doorknobs and such.

One of the consequences of all our left-handedness is that my mom had to fend for herself at the dinner table: when we went out to eat, she had to make sure she was sitting in a righty spot. Nowadays, holiday meals involve choreography: we have two righty adults, three lefty adults, two righty kids, one lefty kid and a toddler. Fun!

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - getting thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit from Bag End to the Lonely Mountain by December 2012; and that same much enriched Hobbit back to Bag End by December 2013

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Aug 14 2012, 5:53am

Post #10 of 42 (173 views)
Shortcut
I'm a righty, but [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a very early memory, maybe age 3, of being gently told to hold my fork in my right hand at dinner.

I like to use my left hand to run the computer mouse.

My left eye is dominant: I use it to look through the viewfinder of a camera and through a telescope. It's also nearsighted, while my right eye is farsighted.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 14 2012, 9:34am

Post #11 of 42 (185 views)
Shortcut
President Obama is a south-paw [In reply to] Can't Post

And it's been pointed out that Theoden is a lefty.

I'm right-handed, but always take a count of how many of the examinees taking the Teacher's Certification tests I administer are left-handed, right-handed, male, female, etc. Four and a half hours of watching them take tests inspires any activity at all you can do while sitting and trying to stay awake!

I love the phrase from the movie Hello Dolly, "If you're going to live hand-to-mouth, you'd better be ambidextrous."

Here are some more Lefties

Dan Aykroyd
Tim Allen
Matthew Broderick
Charlie Chaplin
Tom Cruise
Robert DeNiro
Richard Dreyfuss
Peter Fonda
Cary Grant
Mark Hamill
Jim Henson
Rock Hudson
Danny Kaye
Michael Landon
Andrew McCarthy
Steve McQueen
Anthony Perkins
Richard Pryor
Robert Redford
Mickey Rourke
Christian Slater
Brent Spiner (Data from Star Trek)
Dick Van Dyke
Wil Wheaton
Bruce Willis

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Aug 14 2012, 9:39am)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 14 2012, 10:44am

Post #12 of 42 (157 views)
Shortcut
Interesting! [In reply to] Can't Post

I shall test this out when they arrive (which should be this week)! They're a fairly new style, so I'm expecting the "technology" to have improved from when we were kids. Wink

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Aug 14 2012, 4:01pm

Post #13 of 42 (172 views)
Shortcut
He has moved to a different food chain. [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh

He has been a Union Pacific railroad cop for about two years, now. By not having the use of his right hand for shooting, he was not allowed to be a patrolman anymore. (You have to be able to shoot a gun with either hand.) So he was an investigator. It was good for a while, but the town is so small that any chance for upward mobility in the police dept. only came when the guy at the top died. They never seem to retire. Unimpressed

My brother was in Desert Shield and Desert Storm, but in the Air Force reserves, and as a load master on C-5 cargo planes. He was young and foolish enough to think it a grand adventure. He did get to travel the world and see interesting places on Uncle Sam's nickel. And it did serve as a good source of employment so that he was able to save enough money to get his degree in criminal justice, once he was done with the Air Force.

Want to see something crazy? Here he is on Google Maps street view, busting a punk on the west side of San Antonio. Laugh
I asked him how he found that, and he said he remembered where he was when he saw the Google car go by, so he just kept checking the maps. It happened about six months ago.

(You may have to click the big arrow on the map once the page loads to get to the street view.)

And suddenly the Tornadoes saw afar off a greenlight, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame;
and they knew that this was no vision only, but that PJ had made a new thing: The Hobbit, the Film that Is.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 14 2012, 5:14pm

Post #14 of 42 (143 views)
Shortcut
Update: they're fantastic! [In reply to] Can't Post

True righty-lefty symmetrical scissors. First thing I did was remove one from its packet and slice the packing slip with my left hand. Laugh There's no difference in feel or performance between either hand.

Now, to label them somehow so the students don't walk off with them! Crazy

Delrond
Rohan

Aug 14 2012, 5:20pm

Post #15 of 42 (156 views)
Shortcut
Meal choreography. [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh
Even though the family knows I'm a lefty, whenever we go out to eat, I still have to procure the spot that doesn't cause an elbow room issue. Everybody needs a little elbow room. Remember what that's from?

Delrond
Rohan

Aug 14 2012, 5:22pm

Post #16 of 42 (143 views)
Shortcut
Cool. [In reply to] Can't Post

dernwyn, where did you order these from? I have some niece birthdays coming up and they love lefty gifts.

Delrond
Rohan

Aug 14 2012, 5:27pm

Post #17 of 42 (136 views)
Shortcut
I have tried [In reply to] Can't Post

using the mouse left-handed. It is very awkward to me though. Smile

I was never discouraged from using my left hand early on. My dad remembers his teachers smacking the hands of students with a ruler who were trying to write left-handed.

Delrond
Rohan

Aug 14 2012, 5:33pm

Post #18 of 42 (149 views)
Shortcut
Do you see [In reply to] Can't Post

a general trend percentage-wise? Among my co-workers, there is a disproportionate number of lefties (scientific areas only).

I'll add a few more:

Keanu Reeves
Agelina Jolie
M C Escher
Jerry Seinfeld
Oprah Winfrey
Julia Roberts
Kermit the Frog

Delrond
Rohan

Aug 14 2012, 6:01pm

Post #19 of 42 (145 views)
Shortcut
Looks [In reply to] Can't Post

like the Google car is distracting both of them. Moving up and down the street view, you can see the kid, then your brother's car, then the scene. The next image is like they were never there. I wonder if the Google car moves glacially? (Insert sarcastic remark here.) Speaking of which, there was a bit of an uproar around here a few years back when Google was capturing the street images. Apparently, some unflattering pictures were taken of residents in certain neighborhoods. Patty probably remembers this better than I do, it was up in her neck of the woods if I'm not mistaken.

My Desert Storm bro-in-law had tanks firing at him as well. Talk about nerve-racking. He's a good guy even though he's a University of Michigan graduate. I bleed scarlet.Laugh

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Aug 14 2012, 6:53pm

Post #20 of 42 (145 views)
Shortcut
How can you tell whether Kermit the Frog is left handed? [In reply to] Can't Post

I mean, his hands are on little sticks! Laugh

Does that mean that Jim Henson was left handed?

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Aug 14 2012, 6:54pm

Post #21 of 42 (134 views)
Shortcut
I'd make the students check them out, just like a book. [In reply to] Can't Post

You are in the library, after all! Wink

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Aug 14 2012, 7:06pm

Post #22 of 42 (146 views)
Shortcut
Wow - someone's getting it righ - er - correct! Good to know// [In reply to] Can't Post

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Aug 14 2012, 7:15pm

Post #23 of 42 (146 views)
Shortcut
Most Muppets are, at least originally [In reply to] Can't Post

It's because of the way the performers work them - right hand articulating the head, left hand working the puppet's left hand. My behind-the-scenes stuff on Fraggle Rock has interviews with some of the performers, in which they talk about apprenticing as 'right hands' (moving the puppets' right hands) assisting the principal performers whose own right hands were busy. I think Big Bird still can't move his right hand. And some of them have the performers' hands in their hands - Rowlf, Fozzie, Oscar the Grouch, Mokey Fraggle, and some others - as opposed to the little arms-on-sticks.

Yeah, I'm just a bit of a Muppets fan... Wink

Delrond
Rohan

Aug 15 2012, 1:51am

Post #24 of 42 (146 views)
Shortcut
Jim Henson [In reply to] Can't Post

was a lefty. Also, Kermit plays the banjo left-handed (and sometimes right-handed). This was a Trivial Pursuit question as well.Cool

imin
Valinor

Aug 15 2012, 12:06pm

Post #25 of 42 (119 views)
Shortcut
Potenial lefty here [In reply to] Can't Post

I am told i used to hold a pen/pencil with my left hand but my grandparents made me learn with my right hand. I also eat with my knife and fork in opposite hands, tried to learn guitar the wrong way round and in wood work class, used the tools in my left hand. but then i stand right hand side for cricket, baseball, throw with my right.

I think i was maybe meant to be left handed but it got trained out of me when learning to write, though i can write well with my left. Its come it quite useful with my job as it means things are a bit easier, quicker. Though there are some who are truly ambidextrous who put me to shame, lol.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.