Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Olympic Closing Ceremony
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 12 2012, 10:03pm

Post #1 of 30 (469 views)
Shortcut
Olympic Closing Ceremony Can't Post

I won't spoil anything here, as I know it will not be live in all countries at the moment.

But what a great way to end such a fantastic couple of weeks. I've been truly hooked by the Olympics more than I thought I would be. And I have to say, this closing ceremony is a lot better than the music bit in the opening ceremony (some exceptions though .... *cough*RussellBrand*cough*)

I hope everyone has enjoyed the Olympics, and after this summer, I'm a truly proud to be British. I didn't think we could pull it off successfully ... but we have.

Congratulations to all atheletes that participated and medal winners. Here's to Rio 2016!

Smile

geordie
Tol Eressea

Aug 12 2012, 10:12pm

Post #2 of 30 (231 views)
Shortcut
Always look on the bright side of life - [In reply to] Can't Post

- with Eric Idle, angels (phew! ... where was I?... Oh, yes - and roller-skating nuns.

Proud to be British? oh, yes.

Smile

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 12 2012, 10:19pm

Post #3 of 30 (214 views)
Shortcut
It today's society you have to take anything positive and run with it... [In reply to] Can't Post

The Queen's Jubilee (and parachute jump) and the Olympic Games have made me feel very patriotic. And that's no bad thing. The London riots were only a year ago. Not only did they happen practically on my parents door step, I was almost ashamed to call myself British. These games have shown the world what London and the United Kingdom are about. And that's positive. Wink

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Aug 12 2012, 10:31pm

Post #4 of 30 (229 views)
Shortcut
Is this comment fair? [In reply to] Can't Post

From an online blogger: "George (Michael) says we're at the ''centre of the universe'' and then does some uncle dancing. Strut George, strut."

I can picture what he means by 'uncle dancing'!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 12 2012, 10:33pm

Post #5 of 30 (203 views)
Shortcut
Entirely fair ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

But it was still better than Paul McCartney's attempt two weeks ago! Wink Shocked

Boris Johnson (the Mayor of London) also shows off his best "uncle dancing".

Gorbag
Rivendell

Aug 12 2012, 10:47pm

Post #6 of 30 (199 views)
Shortcut
Does it have to end? [In reply to] Can't Post

Frown
I'll miss the Olympics, and the good feeling it spread around the UK. Even in my city of Coventry where some of the football was held, you could feel the positive feelings it spread. I'll miss having some excellent sport to watch every night, and the joy of seeing team GB win tons of medals.

I dont want it to go, but we need to hold on to this good feeling and the good weather here in the UK.

“I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.” - J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 12 2012, 11:21pm

Post #7 of 30 (203 views)
Shortcut
I haven't seen it yet... [In reply to] Can't Post

... and I didn't get to see a lot of the competitions and coverage, but I always love how the Olympics make me feel - especially knowing that people all over the world are tuned to the came things I am.

I miss them when they're gone. But then, if there were here all the time, they wouldn't be special.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 13 2012, 3:18am

Post #8 of 30 (190 views)
Shortcut
Fantastic! [In reply to] Can't Post

There were so many things I liked it would be hard to list them all. But the part that had me shouting and waving my hands in the air were the Morris Dancers. I also recognized people in Welsh national dress.

I hear there was a push to include Morris Dancers in the ceremonies and they were not successful. I don't know when it was decided to include them but it was great to see them.

Radhruin
Rohan

Aug 13 2012, 3:37am

Post #9 of 30 (203 views)
Shortcut
NBC should be happy [In reply to] Can't Post

No other channel has been on my TV since the opening of the Games (except for a few nods to my permanent addiction, FoodTV). : )

I enjoyed everything I watched. This is the first Summer Games that I have a memory of even noticing for some reason. Growing up I always watched everything I could catch of the Winter Games, but our lives were always taken up by outdoor activities in July and August evenings here in the US upper midwest.

Overall, I think the London Games were great.

Something unrelated to the actual Games which rather drove me crazy was Minnesota Public Radio's updates every twenty minutes of all medal winners throughout every day of the games. Ha ha, I always had the feeling they were taking joy in spoiling the little joys I received at coming home from work in the evening and watching the coverage. News, sports and entertainment converging in a spoiler fest. Guess MPR looked at it as more news than sports/entertainment. It crossed my mind more than once though, that it was only news to those who weren't following the Olympics and thus would not have even been noticed if they heard the next day, leaving folks like me scrambling to either turn the station or plug my ears. : )

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Aug 13 2012, 3:59am

Post #10 of 30 (173 views)
Shortcut
Not sure what your programming was like [In reply to] Can't Post

...but here in the MST time-zone we got almost nothing but women's volleyball, ad nauseam, day in and day out with just a little swimming, equestrian, rowing and track thrown in; hardly any gymnastics, no decathalon, no weightlifting, no sailing, one or two soccer and basketball games. As we watched the recap of the games before the closing ceremonies, we realized how much we'd missed. Frown We were pretty disappointed with the coverage.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Radhruin
Rohan

Aug 13 2012, 4:23am

Post #11 of 30 (170 views)
Shortcut
Well, I was watching primetime [In reply to] Can't Post

so I can't vouch for what was on during the day, and when I said NBC should be happy, I meant it. I didn't turn the channel because I never knew what might come next that was of interest to me! Great for advertising, not so good for viewing, but it's a business model I suppose. The subject of my post was intended to be a bit sarcastic. ; )

I saw a fair amount of swimming, gymnastics, diving, track & field, but I did not see any rowing or the decathalon at all, which I missed. I chalked it up to being mildly interested at the beginning and happy with what I caught. Of course, without the commercials and (in my opinion) excessive melodramatic backstories/interviews, there could have been much wider coverage between 7 and 11 pm.

(This post was edited by Radhruin on Aug 13 2012, 4:26am)

Patty
Immortal

Aug 13 2012, 10:45am

Post #12 of 30 (180 views)
Shortcut
I didn't enjoy it as much as I did the Opening ceremony... [In reply to] Can't Post

but it was kinda neat to see Annie Lennox. I'm not a big pop music fan any more, so it was all pretty over the top to me. I loved all the music in the opening ceremony--from Jerusalem to the Elgar piece to the drums for the start of the Industrial Revolution. I thought that whole thing was awesome. The closing was, for me, a disjointed bit of noise, cause it wasn't to my taste.

But it was all (both bookends) bright and colorful. London should be very, very proud.

Permanent address: Into the West

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Aug 13 2012, 2:11pm

Post #13 of 30 (143 views)
Shortcut
I pretty much missed the whole thing, although... [In reply to] Can't Post

I did catch a bit of the opening ceremonies---we were on holiday that day, and happened to walk by a television set tuned to them---and is my Scottish ancestry betraying me, or did they play Runrig's "Alba" at the beginning of the athletes' march-in?

I hope they had a full-throated pipe band during either the opening or closing ceremonies. Tongue

Well done Heart UK! *high five*

Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 13 2012, 2:41pm

Post #14 of 30 (160 views)
Shortcut
I do think I remember pipers for the closing ceremonies... [In reply to] Can't Post

but I'm not sure we actually heard pipes. That is, I think it was part of a larger scene.

I just checked, and - as I thought I remembered - it was during Eric Idle's bit. He sang "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life". That was were the Morris Dancers were, and the people in Welsh national garb, the bagpipers, Roman Centurions, hot models in angel garb, nuns on roller skates, Bollywood dancers and, at the end, a singing Brunhilda. I really thought this would be the end of the ceremony. You know, it's over when the fat lady sings.

and, in watching again, I spotted another Morris dance set. The prominently featured team had sticks but another team off to the side had hankies. In fact, I think there might have been a set on every ramp that was part of the large British flag set.

Ooh... and one the nuns flashes her knickers.

and, you can hear the bagpipers at the end.

Not the best quality, but here's one video:
http://vimeo.com/47433027

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Aug 13 2012, 2:56pm

Post #15 of 30 (138 views)
Shortcut
Delightful! Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder how many people remember the original context of "Always Look on the Bright Side?" Evil

Yes, I could hear the bagpipes playing---sort of. "Brunhilda" was Britannia, I bet. I can't figure the nuns, since I associate them with France, never mind the Union Jack knickers. Shocked But oh my, what an inspired bit of Python-esque craziness.

Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 13 2012, 3:02pm

Post #16 of 30 (138 views)
Shortcut
It's so weird not having the Olympics on TV [In reply to] Can't Post

Now it's just the normal old rubbish ...

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 13 2012, 3:23pm

Post #17 of 30 (144 views)
Shortcut
ah, Britannia makes sense [In reply to] Can't Post

The Morris dancers are definitely 'English'. The Welsh and the Scots were there. I wondered if the Romans were there as a nod to British history or some past Python sketch.

Not sure about the nuns and the angels. I'm not enough of a Python fan to know if were a Python nod, a British nod, or just sheer wackiness.

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 13 2012, 3:29pm

Post #18 of 30 (129 views)
Shortcut
I think it was a Python nod as Eric Idle was in Monty Python [In reply to] Can't Post

What it actually represented, I'm not sure either.

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 13 2012, 3:38pm

Post #19 of 30 (167 views)
Shortcut
lol... [In reply to] Can't Post

I know Idle was in Python. :-)

I saw many of the movies when they first came out and watched the series on public tv here. In fact, Terry Gilliam is from the city I live in now.

I just meant, I didn't know if there was a particular sketch or scene in a Python movie that had nuns on roller skates or models with harps and angel wings.

I am fairly certain that the Morris dancers were *not* a nod to Python, for example. I don't think there were ever Morris dancers in a Python sketch or movie. I think some of those elements were just nods to British/UK culture - not Python.

Hengist
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 13 2012, 4:18pm

Post #20 of 30 (127 views)
Shortcut
The romans are from [In reply to] Can't Post

Life of Brian which features always look on the bright side of life

" So let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you're completely sane? "

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 13 2012, 4:21pm

Post #21 of 30 (136 views)
Shortcut
And Idle was the one who'd written the song. [In reply to] Can't Post

So appropriate, in many ways, to have that in there. Smile

Did you catch Prince Harry singing along? Even whistling!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 13 2012, 4:25pm

Post #22 of 30 (138 views)
Shortcut
Sorry, it wasn't supposed to sound patronising! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was agreeing, it should have read: yes, [the nuns and angels] are a reference to Monty Python (as Idle was in it), but I don't know what the actual reference (sketch, joke etc) is.

Smile

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 13 2012, 4:26pm

Post #23 of 30 (140 views)
Shortcut
What I found shocking was .... [In reply to] Can't Post

How many British people didn't know his real name was Henry ... Unsure

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 13 2012, 4:34pm

Post #24 of 30 (121 views)
Shortcut
Henry Charles Albert David. [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder why they've called him "Harry" all along, maybe that just sounds "friendlier" than "Henry"?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 13 2012, 4:37pm

Post #25 of 30 (113 views)
Shortcut
yes I did. // [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.