Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming & Collecting:
Anyone here play Lord of the Rings Online?

MatthewJer18
Rohan

Aug 12 2012, 8:15pm

Post #1 of 10 (544 views)
Shortcut
Anyone here play Lord of the Rings Online? Can't Post

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Aug 13 2012, 6:45pm

Post #2 of 10 (263 views)
Shortcut
I've played it since its release [In reply to] Can't Post

It is a brilliantly fun game which is very accurate to Tolkien-lore, and it has a robust system of play which dwarfs other online games. It is also nice to play a game which is not based on the films (for once!)

"Radagast is, of course, a worthy wizard, a master of shapes and changes of hue, and he has much lore of herbs and beasts, and birds are especially his friends."-Gandalf, The Lord of the Rings.

RosieLass
Valinor

Aug 14 2012, 1:57am

Post #3 of 10 (247 views)
Shortcut
I do! [In reply to] Can't Post

Mostly on Brandywine, although I have a few toons on Landroval, too.

We used to have a kinship on Landroval of TORn folks, but it has pretty much fizzled out. Frown

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

Donry
Tol Eressea

Aug 14 2012, 3:03am

Post #4 of 10 (259 views)
Shortcut
Yep... [In reply to] Can't Post

All of mine are on Landroval....but I haven't had the time to play...its been about three months since I was roaming around....

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

www.onesecondleft.com
@RDon1secleft
http://donryfetor.blogspot.com/
@DonryFetor

Taliesin
The Shire

Aug 14 2012, 1:54pm

Post #5 of 10 (240 views)
Shortcut
Founder [In reply to] Can't Post

I started playing in beta, but haven't had the chance to play much lately because of work. I'm on Silverlode primarily, but have some toons on most servers, including Brandywine and Landroval.
I saw there will be some gaming stuff at the Tolkien Track this year at DragonCon. Anyone planning on attending the panel?

13thHour
Rivendell

Aug 14 2012, 8:21pm

Post #6 of 10 (249 views)
Shortcut
I'll be there... [In reply to] Can't Post

Looking forward to it!

LOTRO is the best LOTR-themed vidya game of all time, to me. Every single other one that I have ever played has been disappointing. Although I just ordered "War in the North", so I'll give it a whirl.

I don't play LOTRO anymore, but I've been considering going back. Right now my mmo itch is being scratched by Warhammer Online, and I'm waiting for Guild Wars 2 to launch.

LOTRO, to me, has been the most immersive, which could possibly be because I'm familiar with the lore already. I always used to tell hardcore gamer friends of mine that LOTRO, for me, was my "hang out" game. It was always fun to just get in-game and just chill. Playing a hobbit, and running around delivering pies in the Shire, was endless fun, to me.

Towards the end of my time in LOTRO, I started doing the "Monster Play", which was actually quite fun.

I do lament the demise of the TORn guild. It basically died when Legalize vanished, or so it seemed to me.

Blast. I think I have just talked myself into re-installing.

The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it.

Getting fit for Dragon*Con 2012

13thHour
Rivendell

Aug 19 2012, 12:31pm

Post #7 of 10 (205 views)
Shortcut
Apologies... [In reply to] Can't Post

... I did end up reinstalling and logged in with one of my toons that is still in the "Sibs of TORn" guild (Thornlin, Dwarf Champion), which is NOT dead. I apologize if I offended Donry, our Chief, by saying that it was dead.

I also agree with the poster above who said that it is nice to play a Middle Earth game that is not based on the PJ movies. It's always fun to see someone else's take on the look of it all.

The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it.

Getting fit for Dragon*Con 2012

Donry
Tol Eressea

Aug 20 2012, 8:15pm

Post #8 of 10 (213 views)
Shortcut
No Worries... [In reply to] Can't Post

It has been very quiet lately, I've been on rarely (new baby will do that !!!!). My gaming is taking a direct hit lately and I'm behind no LOTRO and Skyrim...and a few others....Hopefully I can get on there a bit more over the next while...

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

www.onesecondleft.com
@RDon1secleft
http://donryfetor.blogspot.com/
@DonryFetor

BountyHunter
The Shire

Aug 27 2012, 5:29pm

Post #9 of 10 (194 views)
Shortcut
:) [In reply to] Can't Post

I just logged off actually. :) I'm a Level 32 Champion named Farylir. I usually play on Arkenstone.

Totally love this game. :)

morgenstern
The Shire

Aug 30 2012, 9:08pm

Post #10 of 10 (428 views)
Shortcut
Anyone here play Lord of the Rings Online? [In reply to] Can't Post

Tried it for a while at around the time of release (maybe 4 - 6 months), enjoyed much of the art, didn't particularly care for the combat system, didn't care for the homogeneity of character design (too few options for appearance being the main one), hated the travel system (it was 'low-level explorer' unfriendly, IMHO). Eventually stopped playing it mainly for those reasons and a few others. I find other MMOs gameplay to be superior in terms of quests -- the main reason I'd play a LotR-based game would be for the exploration factor, and as already alluded to, that element of the game was discouraging and frustrating.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.