Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
New Interview with Peter Jackson - Hobbits, Freeman and 48fps
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Aug 12 2012, 1:02pm

Post #26 of 87 (801 views)
Shortcut
p-s-t... [In reply to] Can't Post

it was a bit of an attempt at humor. I still think that "The Desolation of Smaug" is a weak title.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Aug 12 2012, 1:05pm

Post #27 of 87 (788 views)
Shortcut
It also better than "Enter the Dragon" but [In reply to] Can't Post

it is not up to snuff.

Photobucket

tolktolk
Lorien

Aug 12 2012, 1:39pm

Post #28 of 87 (830 views)
Shortcut
This isn't new! [In reply to] Can't Post

Just to put things into context, this isn't a new interview. All the quotes are taken from a press conference at Comic Con which has been on YouTube for weeks, though oddly enough very few people seem to have seen it.

It was put up on YouTube by LaCosaCineCentral, and there are links to part one and two of the conference on Thorinoakenshield.net.

It has different questions and answers from other interviews done on the day, some of which are very funny. Martin says he calls Peter Jackson " a 12 year-old with a beard" and you see him smiling and nodding! Martin also says he is proud of the fact that with so men being constantly together, nobody punched anyone and Ian says "That's because the gay members of the cast were keeping you in order!"

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Aug 12 2012, 2:52pm

Post #29 of 87 (846 views)
Shortcut
I am so glad... [In reply to] Can't Post

...to see someone remembering what the word "decimate" actually means. I roll my eyes every time a TV announcer uses it as a synonym for "destroy" or "demolish". Although I realize I'm fighting an uphill battle for proper grammar and that particular error is minor compared to others I hear every day. Unsure

Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Aug 12 2012, 3:02pm

Post #30 of 87 (817 views)
Shortcut
Decimate has more than one definition. [In reply to] Can't Post

It has been modernized.

Photobucket

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Aug 12 2012, 3:14pm

Post #31 of 87 (799 views)
Shortcut
Well, in all fairness [In reply to] Can't Post

I think there would be a strong argument to say that that isn't what decimate "actually" means today. The current usage has been prevalent since at least the mid 19th century. Whilst there are, of course, no hard rules I think most people would tend to the view that the time period of use would suggest the older meanings were now essentially obsolete, as opposed to the new usage being incorrect.

LR

rings7
Rohan

Aug 12 2012, 3:38pm

Post #32 of 87 (710 views)
Shortcut
Well, i take it like [In reply to] Can't Post

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. Movie audience didn't know who the "Prince" was till the end of the entire movie. So it'll work this one too. And yeah, Enter the Dragon would come to mind, just like Revenge of the Nerds came to mind when the Revenge of the Sith came out from Star Wars.Crazy

TomthePilgrim
Rohan

Aug 12 2012, 4:08pm

Post #33 of 87 (735 views)
Shortcut
How about "Fire and Water"? [In reply to] Can't Post

That is the chapter name for Smaug's attack on Laketown and his demise.

I still like "There and Back Again" for part 3 . . .

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,

"Thorin sat up with a start. 'Something is not right,' he muttered to himself as he stood up and
looked towards the mirror . . . . . . . . . 'Durin's bones', he gasped, 'what's happened to my beard?'"

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Aug 12 2012, 4:15pm

Post #34 of 87 (717 views)
Shortcut
Yes, the language evolves [In reply to] Can't Post

I suppose if I weren't aware of the "deci" in "decimate" meaning "tenth", as in "decimal", I wouldn't be so annoyed by this particular evolution. But then, I tend to over-think trivia questions, too. Tongue

I'm still unrepentently pleased that geordie brought up the original meaning. Smile

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!

geordie
Tol Eressea

Aug 12 2012, 4:34pm

Post #35 of 87 (745 views)
Shortcut
There's a new meaning? [In reply to] Can't Post

- you mean, when Riley's wife Sam (in Buffy the Vampire Slayer) reports that the Suvolte demon 'decimated' two villages in South America, it didn't carefully leave 90% of the villagers alive? Total destruction, eh? Man, that's harsh! no wonder she shook her head in disgust as she was saying it. (on the other hand, why not say it 'totally destroyed' two villages?)

Anyway - a change in definition, you all say? Let's see; I need a new dictionary; only an Oxford dictionary will do; most of these on-line ones seem to be capable of editing by anybody; like wikis... here we are:

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/decimate

...Ah. So, I'm a traditionalist, eh? Stap me vitals! Well, I'd rather be a traditionalist than someone whose ideas of what a word means changes every hundred years or so! Pshaw!

Wink

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Aug 12 2012, 5:09pm

Post #36 of 87 (740 views)
Shortcut
More The One Definition [In reply to] Can't Post

This is the last refuge of those who rationalize a certain lack of erudition.

Oh, yeah: Wink

On the larger topic, I greatly prefer "desolation" in the title. It's grander and less pedestrian or, shall we say, less proletariat. Sly

Also, big thanks for geordie for educating me just a little more. I was not aware of the roman origins, but it made perfect sense with "deci" in retrospect, like something obvious hiding right out there in the open. Cool stuff.

(This post was edited by JWPlatt on Aug 12 2012, 5:17pm)

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Aug 12 2012, 5:39pm

Post #37 of 87 (737 views)
Shortcut
I don't understand this sorry. [In reply to] Can't Post

"More the one definition - this is the last refuge of those who rationalise a certain lack of erudition"

Could you explain?

LR

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 12 2012, 5:55pm

Post #38 of 87 (677 views)
Shortcut
It doesn't really fit with all the other titles though / [In reply to] Can't Post

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Aug 12 2012, 6:30pm

Post #39 of 87 (671 views)
Shortcut
In further all fairness [In reply to] Can't Post

That isn't actually the quote from Jackson.

He said they have "the rights to use this 125 pages of additional notes where Tolkien expanded the world of ‘The Hobbit’" which is rather more reasonable.

LR

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Aug 12 2012, 7:01pm

Post #40 of 87 (691 views)
Shortcut
It's not just TV announcers who caved in to the popular usage [In reply to] Can't Post

It's English and American dictionaries too!

Yes, I also prefer the original definition, which referred to eliminating one out of ten! Hardly a "wipe out."

However, language evolves, and English does so especially quickly. I would be very sorry if the guardians of the English language emulated the French, and tried to lock the language in a mausoleum.

(This post was edited by Shelob'sAppetite on Aug 12 2012, 7:03pm)

geordie
Tol Eressea

Aug 12 2012, 8:18pm

Post #41 of 87 (621 views)
Shortcut
I was quoting from the article in this thread - [In reply to] Can't Post

- can I ask which article you're quoting from?

I can quote more directly from a different article:

http://www.deadline.com/2012/07/the-hobbit-going-for-a-trilogy-its-possible/

Here, pJ says:

"Sauron doesn’t appear at all in The Hobbit. Tolkien was retrospectively fitting The Hobbit to embrace that mythology. He never wrote that book, but there are 125 pages of notes published at the back of Return of the King in one of the later editions. It was called The Appendices, and they are essentially his expanded Hobbit notes. So we had the rights to those as well and were allowed to use them.” Said Jackson: “We haven’t just adapted The Hobbit; we’ve adapted that book plus great chunks of his appendices and woven it all together. The movie explains where Gandalf goes; the book never does. We’ve explained it using Tolkien’s own notes."

In reality, the Appendices were not 'published at the back of Return of the King in one of the later editions. - they were included in the 1st edition of that book, in October 1955; and they are not 'extended hobbit notes'.

I saw something on the net where pJ said, 'We. Have had Access. To. The appendices!' - as if he'd been granted some boon not given to us ordinary mortals I thought, 'Yeah, well - so has everybody else since the book was written.'

One of my interests in 'the hobby' is Tolkien bibliography. I don't mind when people get it wrong; but I don't like it when folk like pJ try and re-write it to suit themselves.

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Aug 12 2012, 8:34pm

Post #42 of 87 (655 views)
Shortcut
The article here [In reply to] Can't Post

Does not present it as a quote from Jackson. I was quoting from this article:

http://collider.com/peter-jackson-martin-freeman-the-hobbit-interview/180675

[edited to add ----> be careful if you click on current pop-ups at collider.com - possibly disturbing images]

Which seems a much more reasonable explanation of the reletionship between the Hobbit and Appendices material.

LR

(This post was edited by Altaira on Aug 12 2012, 10:02pm)

geordie
Tol Eressea

Aug 12 2012, 8:42pm

Post #43 of 87 (668 views)
Shortcut
Uh-huh [In reply to] Can't Post

- phew!

- well, thanks for telling us which article you were quoting from. In my latest post, I've taken care to quote directly from pJ.

BTW - I've just taken a look at the link you've given, and I shan't be doing it again - there's a pop-up there which I find distressing.

(This post was edited by geordie on Aug 12 2012, 8:45pm)

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Aug 12 2012, 8:54pm

Post #44 of 87 (636 views)
Shortcut
Sorry [In reply to] Can't Post

What's the pop up thing? I'm not sure if you are joking but equally I don't want to be suggesting a link to anything inappropriate.

LR

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Aug 12 2012, 9:03pm

Post #45 of 87 (653 views)
Shortcut
geordie [In reply to] Can't Post

"as if he'd been granted some boon not given to us ordinary mortals I thought, 'Yeah, well - so has everybody else since the book was written.' "

You see what you want to see. Clearly, you dont think that much of Pj , so instead of honest enthusiasm you see pj being a bit of an egomaniac.

What do you mean with re-write it? Re write the appendices? Or are you just refering to his understandable mistake with the editions?

As to refering to the appendices as extended hobbit notes, makes sense since thats what they also are. Not just that, but that including.

(This post was edited by Lusitano on Aug 12 2012, 9:03pm)

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Aug 12 2012, 9:13pm

Post #46 of 87 (635 views)
Shortcut
Are there any guardians of the English language? [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, one of the delights of English is its flexibility and adaptability. I just have a bee in my bonnet about several of the ways in which it's being adapted. A friend of mine objects to "impact" being used as a verb, unless you intend it in its medical meaning, but I imagine her preference is being swept away, too.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Aug 12 2012, 9:23pm

Post #47 of 87 (698 views)
Shortcut
He calls me rude and unlearned. [In reply to] Can't Post

Gutsy! No?

Photobucket

(This post was edited by Kangi Ska on Aug 12 2012, 9:23pm)

geordie
Tol Eressea

Aug 12 2012, 9:32pm

Post #48 of 87 (647 views)
Shortcut
I clicked the link [In reply to] Can't Post

- and a picture came up over the article you linked to. I had the sound off at the time - what I saw was (I suppose) an ad. for a horror film. A moving picture (as opposed to a still) of a young woman, whose face became covered from behind by a pair of grisly-looking hands. It happened again, after a few seconds, when I tried the link again. I don't suppose it's 'inappropriate' (though I didn't look too long).

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Aug 12 2012, 9:43pm

Post #49 of 87 (610 views)
Shortcut
Ah my apologies. [In reply to] Can't Post

I am on an IPad at the mo so don't get the pop ups in the same way. I'll ask the admins to put s note on the link.

LR

Longbottom Leaf
Rivendell

Aug 12 2012, 10:32pm

Post #50 of 87 (604 views)
Shortcut
Word! [In reply to] Can't Post

Definition:
Word:
To signify agreement or approval of another persons statement.
Example:
Person 1: I can't wait for The Hobbit movies!
Person 2: Word!

or............. To question another persons statement.

Example: 1: The Hobbit is gonna be 3 movies now!
2: Oh word?

Haha sorry just havin some fun with wordses!

The best weed in the southfarthing!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.