Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
New Interview with Peter Jackson - Hobbits, Freeman and 48fps
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 11 2012, 11:14pm

Post #1 of 87 (2987 views)
Shortcut
New Interview with Peter Jackson - Hobbits, Freeman and 48fps Can't Post

The Dominion Post have a new interview up with Peter Jackson, titled Peter Jackson: King of the little people.

A snippet:

"I always liked the hobbits because you can identify with them - and I particularly can. I'm a homebody, I like to put my feet up and I like the comforts of home. I'm not much of an adventurer, so I've always related to the hobbits and the story of Bilbo Baggins is the ultimate hobbit story."

There are no new spoilers or new pieces of information.

Edit: The article pretty much confirms the title will remain An Unexpected Journey.

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Aug 11 2012, 11:17pm)

TheBeerBaron
Rivendell

Aug 11 2012, 11:37pm

Post #2 of 87 (1316 views)
Shortcut
3rd film [In reply to] Can't Post

Interesting that it says that TABA is going to be split into two parts. What I mean is that the way it is phrased implies that it might even be called TABA part 1 and 2 also it kind of suggests that AUJ will be left intact.

I wonder if this was from what PJ said or if it's the author's own interpretation/speculation.

Great article though! Thanks

Spaldron
Rivendell

Aug 11 2012, 11:56pm

Post #3 of 87 (1232 views)
Shortcut
Been saying this all along [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Interesting that it says that TABA is going to be split into two parts. What I mean is that the way it is phrased implies that it might even be called TABA part 1 and 2 also it kind of suggests that AUJ will be left intact.

This is exactly what I've been saying all along, in fact this deserves its own thread.

"A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities."

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Aug 12 2012, 12:43am

Post #4 of 87 (1120 views)
Shortcut
I really hope they don't number them // [In reply to] Can't Post

burgahobbit
Rohan

Aug 12 2012, 1:31am

Post #5 of 87 (1169 views)
Shortcut
Some interesting things I saw... [In reply to] Can't Post

"You don't know whether you like it until you sit down and watch a two-hour film. That's how it should be judged - not in a convention hall."

Could easily just be a random running time thrown out there for an example but you never know...

"People still write to us about LOTR. So for us it's ongoing and that's part of the joy; realising you're creating something that's entertaining people and hopefully will entertain them for years to come... long after we're all gone."

Support for the argument that PJ may go and change some parts of LOTR? Hmmmm....

(PS: Thought I'd repost this here since it's more appropriate for this thread than the next.)

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Aug 12 2012, 2:25am

Post #6 of 87 (1083 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

I know some people think this means that the 2nd & 3rd films will be called Part 1 & Part 2, but nothing in the article indicates that. That sentence just refers to the fact that there will now be 3 films instead of 2. PJ won't make a film that doesn't stand on it's own. Expect 3 individual titles for 3 individual films.

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

imin
Valinor

Aug 12 2012, 2:29am

Post #7 of 87 (1136 views)
Shortcut
Would it really matter if they were called part 1 and part 2? [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think it would. Part 1 and 2 of HP were individual movies just as much as FOTR was in relation to TTT or TTT to ROTK.

To me the name doesn't really matter, though three separate names would give the impression of them being more individual.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Aug 12 2012, 2:33am

Post #8 of 87 (1092 views)
Shortcut
No they weren't... [In reply to] Can't Post

To me, all I see is Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. No Part 1 & 2. When the first part ends, there's no emotional build-up to the end of that film. It's simply a pause before resuming the same movie in Part 2. The Lord of the Rings films are much different. Each film is an entity onto itself, with a self contained story that has an emotional arc and conclusion, even if the overall plot continues into the next film. It feels like 3 books (or volumes) comprising a novel, wheres Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows feels like one book cut in half.

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Aug 12 2012, 2:36am)

imin
Valinor

Aug 12 2012, 2:40am

Post #9 of 87 (1106 views)
Shortcut
Its late here so we will have to just agree to disagree on this i think. [In reply to] Can't Post

I felt there was just as much an ending to part 1 deathly hallows as say FOTR with TTT. HP ends with voldemort finding the elder wand which he has been searching for most of the movie - emotional build up.

Just as much as frodo deciding to head off himself. The story continues just as much in each series i feel. I dont think you can watch TTT or ROTK by itself and appreciate it as much as you could had you not watched the previous films in the trilogy. Its its own film but only up to a point, same as HP.

To me the name of part 1 and 2 or having separate names doesnt change this.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Aug 12 2012, 2:48am

Post #10 of 87 (1062 views)
Shortcut
Fair enough [In reply to] Can't Post

For me, when I walked out of HP7 - I felt like I had only seen half a movie (and indeed, HP7.5 feels very much like the 2 hour action climax of Part 1). I never felt that way with any of the Lord of the Rings films. They each felt like films with storylines that reached a certain resolution by the end of the 3 hours. I felt like I was waiting a year for a new chapter, not the remainder of a chapter I was in the middle of.

None of this should be taken as a slight against 'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows'. As a matter of fact, I really like it a lot. It just feels like one movie to me, whereas I LotR feels like 3 distinct films - albeit ones comprising a complete story.

- T.E. Lawrence

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Aug 12 2012, 2:56am)

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 12 2012, 9:19am

Post #11 of 87 (999 views)
Shortcut
Same - It's just lazy [In reply to] Can't Post

The Desolation of Smaug and There and Back Again work fine.

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 12 2012, 9:20am

Post #12 of 87 (996 views)
Shortcut
A lot of people already think this [In reply to] Can't Post

Including myself. An Unexpected Journey will remain the same, and will end somewhere in Mirkwood. Film 2 will involve the death of Smaug. Film 3 the Battle of the Five Armies.

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 12 2012, 9:23am

Post #13 of 87 (970 views)
Shortcut
It's just not very original [In reply to] Can't Post

Part 1 and Part 2. Not the most exciting titles are they. For someone who has never read the books, nor seen the films, it doesn't give away anything. Just a bit ... bland ... (like Harry Potter).

On the other hand, The Desolation of Smaug and The Batttle of the Five Armies are for more exciting. That's going to get people more interested that part 1 and part 2.

TheBeerBaron
Rivendell

Aug 12 2012, 9:23am

Post #14 of 87 (993 views)
Shortcut
That's how I have thought that it will play out as well [In reply to] Can't Post

and I think that it will be magnificent!

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 12 2012, 9:24am

Post #15 of 87 (977 views)
Shortcut
Me too! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was also a little dubious about a third film, and dormouse spent a lot of time trying to convince me. A couple of weeks later, and I have to say that the prospect is exciting! Now I wonder why I was critical in the first place. Wink

TheBeerBaron
Rivendell

Aug 12 2012, 9:33am

Post #16 of 87 (992 views)
Shortcut
Yep [In reply to] Can't Post

It's actually making me consider changing career (tax lawyer) and making films instead. I'm really interested in how the whole management process and day-to-day production and problem-solving of logistics works.

I find it fascinating.

Right now I think people may be slightly irritated about having to wait an extra six months for the conclusion, but five years from now we won't be able to imagine it any other way. Due to the original Hobbit narrative being what it is, I suspect that it might be relatively easy to just cut out all the extraneous stuff and get a "pure cut".

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Aug 12 2012, 9:38am

Post #17 of 87 (1071 views)
Shortcut
The Desolation of Smaug: [In reply to] Can't Post

is weak as a title for the middle movie. How about "The Decimation of Smaug".

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Aug 12 2012, 9:43am

Post #18 of 87 (1002 views)
Shortcut
The Final Chapter [In reply to] Can't Post

must focus upon the journey home as well as The Battle of Five Armies, and I think it will. The Hobbit should be more about character and less about battle in my not-so-humble-opinion.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

imin
Valinor

Aug 12 2012, 9:43am

Post #19 of 87 (1004 views)
Shortcut
Yeah i agree [In reply to] Can't Post

Its just not very original.

geordie
Tol Eressea

Aug 12 2012, 10:00am

Post #20 of 87 (1032 views)
Shortcut
Some quotes: [In reply to] Can't Post

"Unlike the book, the movies won't be skewed towards a younger audience. Instead, Jackson says, he has blended the 'charm and humour' of The Hobbit, with the darker tone found in Return of the King's 125-page appendices (which are essentially Tolkien's expanded notes from The Hobbit)..."

*sigh.. The Hobbit wasn't 'skewed towards a younger audience' - it was made up for children; particularly, Tolkien's own children. Neither are Tolkien's Appendices 'essentially Tolkien's expanded notes from The Hobbit' - no matter how many times pJ says they are.

Boyens says: "I remember sitting with Fran and saying, 'I can't believe I'm typing the words Wizard and Hobbit again'.."

That goes for me, too.

(This post was edited by geordie on Aug 12 2012, 10:04am)

geordie
Tol Eressea

Aug 12 2012, 10:03am

Post #21 of 87 (1061 views)
Shortcut
Desolation is better - [In reply to] Can't Post

- it best describes what Smaug did to the people and the surrounding countryside.

To me, 'Decimation' sounds like Smaug just did a tenth of the potential damage. (originally, decimation was what the romans did to a legion which had mutinied. Nasty!)

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 12 2012, 12:40pm

Post #22 of 87 (897 views)
Shortcut
It's better than part 1 though ... / [In reply to] Can't Post

Noria
Rohan

Aug 12 2012, 12:41pm

Post #23 of 87 (951 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

As soon as Guillermo del Toro left The Hobbit project and it was announced that PJ would direct two movies, it was evident that these would be much bigger than Tolkienís The Hobbit novel and that they would be, for better or for worse, Peter Jackson movies. I expect big monsters, lots of fighting, silly humour, some missteps but many moments of feeling, beauty and grace and a compelling and vivid realization of Middle Earth. The Hobbit will be one of the stories told in these movies but not the only one.

It will be interesting to see how the experience of making the LotR trilogy + 10 years changes PJís approach. Certainly the filming was organized far differently and the video logs indicate a rather larger and more organized set up.

Iíve been hoping that AUJ would be kept as a title and that the movie would stay much the same as it that panoramic image represented it, ending with Barrels Out of Bond. This interview gives me a bit of hope of that.

Ending the second movie with the death of Smaug makes sense to me, as does the title The Desolation of Smaug. But if I were naming it Iíd call it The Desolation of the Dragon because a good part of the movie audience wonít know who Smaug is. But maybe that would sound too much like a martial arts film.Wink

That leaves There and Back Again, which I really hope is retained just becasue I like it. IMO The Battle of Five Armies is a poor choice which sounds more like a video game than a movie.

Not that it matters. Anyone who loves AUJ will go to see the other two movies whatever they are called.

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 12 2012, 12:50pm

Post #24 of 87 (909 views)
Shortcut
I like The Desolation of the Dragon [In reply to] Can't Post

But it's more of a mouthful. I see what you mean by The Desolation of Smaug sounding like a video game. I'd be happy with most titles, just not part 1 and part 2.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Aug 12 2012, 12:50pm

Post #25 of 87 (941 views)
Shortcut
"The Hobbit: A Hobbit's Tale" could've been cool... [In reply to] Can't Post

The reiteration of the word "Hobbit" comes across as odd... but it makes the title different and it kinda works in a weird way. Especially if it was used for the first movie, when you consider Bilbo is telling his tale to Frodo.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.