Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Official Introduction & Welcome Thread
First page Previous page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 27 Next page Last page  View All

Count Balrog
The Shire

May 24 2012, 11:11pm

Post #301 of 666 (142743 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

I did wonder a bit that I hadn't gotten any responses. Noel suggested that I was too scary (or something to that effect). Flame of Udun, and that, I suppose. Ai, ai, a newbie is come?

Here's a bit of Tolkien disinformation for you:

http://fats.teunc.org/content/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=45&Itemid=46 (warning; contains lies).

Balrogs rule (literally)

DesiringDragons
Lorien

Jul 23 2012, 6:01pm

Post #302 of 666 (128569 views)
Shortcut
Hi! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been a huge Tolkien fan since I was little, but I had never joined a forum before. I've been lurking here for awhile, then finally made a profile, but was too scared to post until today.

So...hello? My name is Kathleen, I live in Indiana but grew up in upstate New York.

(Help, what does one say in introductions?)

My degree is in archaeology/anthropology but I work as a tech writer.

I'm kind of boring, I guess.

Hello, though!

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 23 2012, 6:07pm

Post #303 of 666 (130614 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to TORn DesiringDragons! [In reply to] Can't Post

And it seems like you chose a good day to join with the release of vlog 8! *thumbs up*

You can never be too boring - archaeology sounds like a fun degree to have! Did you go on lots of field trips? Wink Have you ever found anything exciting?

Enjoy your stay here Smile

DesiringDragons
Lorien

Jul 23 2012, 6:11pm

Post #304 of 666 (130139 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! :) [In reply to] Can't Post

It was lots of fun getting the degree (yes, lots of fieldwork and time in the pit and the lab) - but alas, the most exciting things I've found have been potsherds. One always dreams of buried treasure though ;)

I can hardly wait to join in more of the discussions, but I'm a bit shy so might hang back a bit.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 23 2012, 6:16pm

Post #305 of 666 (128242 views)
Shortcut
I once found a key ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've always wondered what it was for - I never found the treasure either Wink

Off-topic and Main is always a good place to start Smile. I wouldn't worry about just jumping in - our barks are louder than our bites Wink, and we are a very friendly bunch!

Count Balrog
The Shire

Jul 30 2012, 12:28am

Post #306 of 666 (126647 views)
Shortcut
Pity you weren't practicing it in Middle-earth ... [In reply to] Can't Post

at least in the Third Age (since technically, this is Middle-earth. One doesn't even have to dig at all to find a valuable ancient sword. All one has to do is run into the right trolls and not get eaten.

Balrogs rule (literally)

DesiringDragons
Lorien

Jul 30 2012, 12:06pm

Post #307 of 666 (126177 views)
Shortcut
Good point! Although [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd hate to disturb a barrow-wight accidentally - they don't seem to take kindly to that!

Count Balrog
The Shire

Jul 30 2012, 7:32pm

Post #308 of 666 (127502 views)
Shortcut
I've always found barrow-wights to be horribly vulgar [In reply to] Can't Post

Egad.

Balrogs rule (literally)

Padfoot
Bree

Jul 31 2012, 2:59pm

Post #309 of 666 (127975 views)
Shortcut
Introduction [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello everyone, my name's Padfoot, and I'm new to this forum.

I've been using this username for some 10 years now on different forums, so maybe somebody remembers me from another forum. I sure hope to meet some new people here!

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Aug 1 2012, 5:31am

Post #310 of 666 (128291 views)
Shortcut
Hi Padfoot! [In reply to] Can't Post

Welcome Smile I think you'll find that most people here are friendly. Though some discussions get heated, they (mostly) remain respectful. So feel free to jump right in!

Padfoot
Bree

Aug 1 2012, 6:07am

Post #311 of 666 (133747 views)
Shortcut
Hi back [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the welcome! Sounds like the "usual" forum to me Sly I will jump in right away! Sly

Thoromir
Rivendell

Aug 11 2012, 11:23am

Post #312 of 666 (127163 views)
Shortcut
Thoromir [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

My name is Thomas (AKA Thoromir), I'm 22 years old and I live in The Netherlands.
I have been on this forum for quite some time now (several months up to a year I guess). Mainly to stay up to date on the upcoming films.
But now I have an account:p
I don't know if I'll be posting a lot; I'm not a real Tolkien-geek so to speak. My knowledge goes as far as the movies go (and a little bit further perhaps).
I've read the Hobbit in English though, but that's all. So I try not to get cought up in hot discussions haha.

That'll be all I guess ;)

Thoromir

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 11 2012, 11:59am

Post #313 of 666 (125962 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to TORn Thoromir! [In reply to] Can't Post

Becoming a de-lurker his a great decision. I lurked for far too long, and wish now I had joined in sooner. We've got a great community here all with varying backgrounds, so I'm sure you will have great fun here.

Smile

Thoromir
Rivendell

Aug 11 2012, 2:37pm

Post #314 of 666 (130524 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

Haha thanks! (and to all others who have welcomed me already)
Well, I'll mainly stay a lurker. But I think I will show my face now and then. It sure is al lot easier now I have been registered ;)

Refurin
The Shire

Oct 17 2012, 1:20pm

Post #315 of 666 (128409 views)
Shortcut
Hello. I'm new here [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello all. First time poster here. Although I first read Tolkien's books (Hobbit, LOTR, and a few short stories) back in sixth grade (I'm now 29, egad I'm getting old), I've only recently really latched onto the series. I'd seen the movies when they came out in theatres, re-read the trilogy a time or three, but sometime during the last year it went from "that really great series I read every now and then" to "this is amazing why have I not been more into this?". It has a little something to do with the Norse influence in Middle Earth tickling my Heathen fancy. But it's more a greater appreciation for the depth of the characters and the immersive nature of Tolkien's world. Well, I guess that's enough text for a "hello" post.

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 17 2012, 1:53pm

Post #316 of 666 (131506 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to TORn Refurin! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's great that the upcoming films have re-ignited (and re-introduced) you to the world of Tolkien. You'll enjoy it around here.

Smile

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

TheBladeGlowsBlue
Rivendell

Oct 18 2012, 4:27am

Post #317 of 666 (132304 views)
Shortcut
First post [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi all, Steve here from Australia, long time fan of Tolkien's work, and more lately, Peter Jackson's! [:)]

Hoping to find out all sorts of stuff about the upcoming Hobbit Trilogy, I may even contribute stuff I find out about, and am planning a trip to New Zealand at the end of 2013 with a lot of the iconic places shown in LOTR and the THT on my list! [cool]

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Oct 18 2012, 6:01am

Post #318 of 666 (128092 views)
Shortcut
Gday Steve, welcome to TORn! [In reply to] Can't Post

How cool of you to avail yourself of the Introduction Thread. A trip to NZ sounds great, and right around the time of The Desolation of Smaug (DOS) premier, nice!

Cool

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 18 2012, 10:14am

Post #319 of 666 (126277 views)
Shortcut
That is cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

Have lots of fun planning the trip, and don't forget a visit to Weta! Smile

And welcome to TORn!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

TheBladeGlowsBlue
Rivendell

Oct 22 2012, 12:22pm

Post #320 of 666 (125795 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks guys, and look forward to adding to this great site with things I find out about!

The trip to NZ grows more real by the day, I plan to spend 2 weeks over Christmas 2013 there, and hope to be at Bag End or some simerlarly cool place on Christmas Day!

In the meantime I'm enjoying this site, so many cool stories and fans on here!

Smile

divine hobbit
The Shire

Oct 23 2012, 4:38am

Post #321 of 666 (127899 views)
Shortcut
Long time no see [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi! I'm Kristin and I'm an old newbie. It's been a bit since I've been on the boards, but I'm excited to be back. I have to say, the boards are way fancier now! I found TORN back when I first heard that LOTR was going to made into movies, and was around a lot through the release of trilogy and for a bit after. But then I had kids and had met several friends through TORN that I hung out with, so wasn't as active here. Now I've moved and the kids are older and I'm hoping to enjoy the excitement of the upcoming movies with people who do not think I'm nuts, and perhaps find new local Tolkien geeks to hang out with. Cheers!

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 23 2012, 6:56am

Post #322 of 666 (129512 views)
Shortcut
Welcome back to TORn! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope you enjoy it as much as you did before. Smile

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Exomnius

Oct 23 2012, 8:25pm

Post #323 of 666 (125219 views)
Shortcut
Hello! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello all! Glad to be here with fellow Tolkien fans!

Thanks for accepting me into the fold.

ValarNienna
The Shire

Nov 2 2012, 4:32am

Post #324 of 666 (124425 views)
Shortcut
Looking forward to meeting other Tolkien lovers [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi I'm brand new. Home from work sick today and love to disappear into Middle Earth when I'm sick (when I'm well too for that matter). I have lurked on here on and off and decided to join today because I want to talk to other people who love Tolkien's Universe like I do. Only one of my friends loves LOTR like I do and she doesn't like the books (WHAT???!!) so I have no one to share geeky discussions with about Tolkien.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Nov 2 2012, 5:23am

Post #325 of 666 (116482 views)
Shortcut
Geeky discussions you say? [In reply to] Can't Post

Well you've come to the right place. Laugh

Welcome to TORn ValarNienna!

First page Previous page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 27 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.