Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming & Collecting:
Game Workshop toys
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Lissa

Aug 8 2012, 8:12pm

Post #1 of 27 (2985 views)
Shortcut
Game Workshop toys Can't Post

Hello everyone,

I've searched the forums for a similar thread without success. My apologies for starting my forum career here with a question.

Has someone perchance a link to the upcoming Hobbit toy soldiers from the company Game Workshop? I have found a list of the toy boxes on scribd some days ago but cannot find it anymore. Do you know where I can find it now?

My son is a big Legolas fan and I like to know if his set gets released before Christmas.

Thank you very much in advance <3

All the best,
Lisa

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Aug 8 2012, 9:16pm

Post #2 of 27 (1945 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to TORN Lissa! [In reply to] Can't Post

As an avid collector of these miniatures, all I can say is that we were told some while ago (about a year back) that Games Workshop had a license to make models featured in The Hobbit films. Aside from that though, we know next to nothing at this point.

Hope this helps.

"Radagast is, of course, a worthy wizard, a master of shapes and changes of hue, and he has much lore of herbs and beasts, and birds are especially his friends."-Gandalf, The Lord of the Rings.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Aug 8 2012, 9:16pm

Post #3 of 27 (1990 views)
Shortcut
I searched the Games Workshop site using 'Legolas' [In reply to] Can't Post

Here are the results I got: http://search.games-workshop.com/...amp;keywords=Legolas

Here is the Games Workshop homepage: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/home.jsp

"Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house." - Aragorn

reags
Rivendell

Aug 9 2012, 2:07am

Post #4 of 27 (1930 views)
Shortcut
Hello! [In reply to] Can't Post

and same here, as a GW LOTR collector, I'm real keen on seeing what they produce but it's unlikely we'll see anything prior to the film's release in order to keep things under wraps from movie spoilers (as the models are replicated from the movie characters' appearances).

My best guess at this stage would be a release next year, followed by every subsequent year until all films are released.

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson."

13thHour
Rivendell

Aug 9 2012, 3:39am

Post #5 of 27 (1930 views)
Shortcut
question: [In reply to] Can't Post

Reags,
Are you goign to get the Hobbit armies when they come out? I imagine the 5 Armies stuff will be amazing, GW does such good work.

If so, think we'll get a chance to see some more pics from you of the hobbit armies painted up pro-style?

Can't wait to see what Games Workshop comes up with...

The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it.

Getting fit for Dragon*Con 2012

Lissa

Aug 9 2012, 9:47am

Post #6 of 27 (1892 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you very much. He has most of those except the Gimli and Legolas on Asfaloth. Thank you very much. I have already ordered this one.

One monkey of my back.

Lissa

Aug 9 2012, 9:59am

Post #7 of 27 (1921 views)
Shortcut
List [In reply to] Can't Post

I am pretty sure that I saw just that - a list of the future releases, no pictures though.

SimionSmallEye

Aug 9 2012, 4:09pm

Post #8 of 27 (2048 views)
Shortcut
Document you are searching got deleted, copy at: http://pastebin.com/9EC3qw3b [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Lisa,

I think I know the document you are looking for. It got deleted really quick, but I've grabbed a copy in time. I've put it on pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/9EC3qw3b

There is a Legolas release in the middle of the list.

Hope it helps.

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 9 2012, 4:33pm

Post #9 of 27 (1919 views)
Shortcut
And two people more come out of lurkerdom! :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

Lissa, no apologies for asking a question off the bat. Jumping in is a great way to get started.

And thanks for providing that link SimionSmallEye.

Welcome to TORn, both of you.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on Aug 9 2012, 4:33pm)

DarkJackal
Rohan

Aug 9 2012, 6:45pm

Post #10 of 27 (1920 views)
Shortcut
woah [In reply to] Can't Post

That document is potentially full of spoilers! I'm not familiar with this series and if they might be creating sets arbitrarily, or only reproducing movie scenarios. Maybe you guys could explain the sorts of releases they did for LOTR.

But if it is genuine Hobbit movie stuff then...daaang! This is a treasure trove of information.

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 9 2012, 6:53pm

Post #11 of 27 (1889 views)
Shortcut
I was thinking the same thing. [In reply to] Can't Post

I imagine a lot of this stuff isn't related to the films at all ... but there are some very interesting things in here. Some that stand out:

Wargs: Grinnah & Mirkwood Werewolves
White Council: Lindir the Harper
Dol Guldur: Spiderlings
Men of Esgaroth: King Girion
Eldar Dragon Riders
White Council: Arwen & Estel
Grey Mountain Dragons: Bofur on Cold-Drake

Among many, many more. I imagine a lot of this stuff isn't film "canon" (as in, they don't appear in the films). Would be interesting to see people's opinions that own previous sets though.

Lissa

Aug 9 2012, 7:14pm

Post #12 of 27 (1878 views)
Shortcut
THANK YOU [In reply to] Can't Post

This is the list I was searching for. Thank you so much. Heart

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Aug 9 2012, 7:26pm

Post #13 of 27 (1889 views)
Shortcut
Wow thanks for this! [In reply to] Can't Post

As has been said, plenty of spoilers...

"Radagast is, of course, a worthy wizard, a master of shapes and changes of hue, and he has much lore of herbs and beasts, and birds are especially his friends."-Gandalf, The Lord of the Rings.

DarkJackal
Rohan

Aug 9 2012, 7:35pm

Post #14 of 27 (1880 views)
Shortcut
Some of it makes sense... [In reply to] Can't Post

...with what we've speculated on before, such as Grinnah being a werewolf. A while back I was able to make out that name as the label for the cgi creature from the early vlogs which we see right about the same time as the unfinished animatronic creature. It looked like a warg on two legs.

But some may be more fanciful, or just inaccurate. Good material to support other evidence though.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Aug 9 2012, 7:36pm

Post #15 of 27 (1961 views)
Shortcut
Games Workshop released [In reply to] Can't Post

quite a few characters, battle sets and scenarios under the title "The Lord of the Rings Strategy Battle Game" that were not found in the movies -

Tom Bombadil and Goldberry come immediately to mind

as does Radagast

and Dain and Balin

Something I found recently is "The Battle of Five Armies" including Beorn. It appears to have been released independently of either LOTR or TH; rather it is "based on J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit":

Details can be viewed here: The Battle of Five Armies

x

ETA: according to Wiki The Battle of Five Armies was released in 2000 ref.: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warmaster

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Aug 9 2012, 7:41pm)

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Aug 9 2012, 7:51pm

Post #16 of 27 (1873 views)
Shortcut
Some of this is very surprising though [In reply to] Can't Post

I doubt this will all be in the film, but ones that immediately spring to mind as being odd/different:
Dol Guldur: The Willowhags
Beornings: Whisperbark / Gnarlfir
Dol Guldur: Bloodwraiths
Dol Guldur: Gwethil
Wargs: The Werebeast
White Council: Galadriel (Water Steed)
Gandalf (Dual Sword)
Dwarves: Dís, Mother of Kili and Fili

SimionSmallEye

Aug 9 2012, 7:56pm

Post #17 of 27 (1892 views)
Shortcut
good bye lurker [In reply to] Can't Post

The hobbit was not strong enough to pull me in, but Hobbit plus tabletop miniatures is kind of irresistible. Angelic

Thanks for the warm welcome :)

SimionSmallEye

Aug 9 2012, 8:11pm

Post #18 of 27 (1930 views)
Shortcut
GW history lesson [In reply to] Can't Post

All the non-movie minis were month or years after the movies released.

GW has both the Hobbit/LotR and the Silmarillion licence, but so far they stayed near the LotR movie and used the movie’s aesthetics. The first three years of the game GW only released miniatures that were in the movies. The releases were a mix of troop releases and narrative boxes. For example, there was a weathertop box, that contained all the miniatures that took part in that scene, even though every character had had already a model. The game was infamous for releasing every character in a dozen different poses. Later, about a year after the last movie, GW started to expand the range with models that were in the books but not in the movies like the rangers and variag men. Much later they started to release their own sets based on Tolkien’s writing like Angmar, the War between Dwarves and Orcs and confrontation between Dol Guldur and the White Council. Actually there are already models for a lot of stuff that features in the film like the spiders, the Necromancer, Thranduil or Dain.

The models in the list are worth more or less 2 years of releases if GW shells them out at the same pace. By the standard set by LotR, in this timeframe there should be only miniatures for things that are in The Hobbit trilogy.

Lissa

Aug 9 2012, 8:14pm

Post #19 of 27 (1878 views)
Shortcut
Eldar [In reply to] Can't Post

All the Eldar stuff, including the dragon riders, has probably nothing to do with the Hobbit. The Eldar are an elf-like futuristic race in Games Workshop’s own Warhammer 40k universe.

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 9 2012, 8:26pm

Post #20 of 27 (1868 views)
Shortcut
Grinnah a werewolf! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's news to me! Did you make a thread DJ?

DarkJackal
Rohan

Aug 9 2012, 8:28pm

Post #21 of 27 (1896 views)
Shortcut
Grey mtn dragons? [In reply to] Can't Post

Was really wondering about "Bofur on a cold drake". Could this be a different Bofur (in a different genre) because that would be pushing even my limits of acceptability.

DarkJackal
Rohan

Aug 9 2012, 8:32pm

Post #22 of 27 (1856 views)
Shortcut
nah its buried in a thread somewhere [In reply to] Can't Post

If you search for Grinnah you should find it.

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 9 2012, 8:35pm

Post #23 of 27 (1834 views)
Shortcut
Thanks DarkJackal! [In reply to] Can't Post

Found it - and I had commented in the same thread! Interesting ...

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Aug 9 2012, 9:40pm

Post #24 of 27 (1882 views)
Shortcut
Way (way) back [In reply to] Can't Post

very early in Game Workshop's history, weren't there some Hobbit figures released before anyone had even heard of PJ?

TheSexyBeard
Lorien

Aug 9 2012, 10:14pm

Post #25 of 27 (1856 views)
Shortcut
Maybe Decemeber? [In reply to] Can't Post

This months White Dwarf (Games-Workshop's monthly magazine) has a two page advertisement for their Hobbit range, however it's just a photo of the films main characters and no models are shown. The article suggests that we may start to see some things in the coming months and their Lord of the Rings models were released in November, a month before each film release however I think this was mostly non spoilery stuff like troop box sets and models of the main characters. I remember reading somewhere that Games-Workshop's hobbit range may come in December as they have a major release for one of their other ranges in November. I think I might have seen this on the Warseer message boards.

Some of the kits listed are somewhat mind-boggling. Especially Bofur on Cold-Drake. I wonder if thats a typo or he's riding to the Battle of the Five Armies in style. Wink Do yous think he items listed might perhaps be worthy of a thread in the Hobbit board?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.