Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
"Latest and greatest is right" -- New Home page rocks!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

_V_
Lorien

Oct 21 2007, 12:56am

Post #76 of 96 (955 views)
Shortcut
yes [In reply to] Can't Post

new design, keep things moving

TORN will keep going through Hobbit and Appendix movie.....but the problem is, well "I'm in no hurry to be done and gone"

ROTK was REALLY great and the Oscar sweep was the perfect finish (what other franchise films can claim such a strong finish?)

But after ROTK:EE ended came that sad feeling that "wow....it's all over now"

the BEST time to be a LOTR fan was between TTT and ROTK, when the hype was at its greatest and we were still clamboring for set reports and such; after ROTK even before ROTK:EE that wasn't quite there anymore.

So I'm REALLY looking foward to coming to TORN religiously on a daily basis again for "The Hobbit" reports, but I'll be sad to have it have to "End" all over again.

****The Appendix movie will be great, because that way when we gear up for "The Hobbit" it won't really be the end of everything all over again like ROTK was; the "buzz" about "Middle-earth stuff" will still be around because of the Appendix movie, so we can walk in an see "The Hobbit" (a very lighthearted fun story) without the emotional baggage of it being "the end "again.

well....one hopes for a Silmarilion adaptation, someplace somewhere (The Sons of Feanor are Teh AWESOME).....

***I just really miss how things were back in the "busy" days, 2001-2003, for all movies; not just LOTR, but other big franchise movies with entrenched fandoms like Star Wars, X-Men, Matrix, HP starting up.

2007, the "Year of the Threequels", kind of left a bad taste in my mouth of "mass produced stuff" (and Transformers was unspeakably bad)

well, Weta could always move on to the Evangelion project like they said they might.....

****well, in all seriousness I hope TheOneRing.net keeps running IN PERPETUITY. 20 years from now, literally, I hope it is still running......just in time for the super-special-extended-edition DVD's containing "lost Rivendell Library scene", newly shot scenes showing the Battle of Dale, etc. etc. :)

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Oct 21 2007, 1:14am

Post #77 of 96 (938 views)
Shortcut
Funny. [In reply to] Can't Post

I just really miss how things were back in the "busy" days, 2001-2003, for all movies: not just LOTR, but other big franchise movies with entrenched fandoms like Star Wars, X-Men, Matrix, HP starting up.

I wonder if such responses are a function of age. For me, 1992-1998 seems like a high period for movies, when I was in or just past college and beginning to appreciate the artistry of film: I mean, 1993-1994 alone brought us Schindler's List, Nobody's Fool, In the Name of the Father, Pulp Fiction, Clear and Present Danger, Thirty-Two Short Films About Glenn Gould, Menace II Society, Trois coleurs blanc, Through the Olive Trees, That's Entertainment! III, The Remains of the Day and Visions of Light (in approximate order of preference) and digging just a little deeper, Hoop Dreams, Groundhog Day, Quiz Show, The Fugitive, Speed, Trois coleurs rouge, In the Line of Fire, Four Weddings and a Funeral, Barcelona, Trois coleurs bleu, and Crumb.

Fantastic years -- but it's been a while since I've seen most of these: would I still like them as much?

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

Join us Oct. 15-21 for the Maps, Foreword, and Prologue.

Elven
Valinor

Oct 21 2007, 2:06am

Post #78 of 96 (925 views)
Shortcut
I miss 96 - 2003 [In reply to] Can't Post

It seemed like a long endless Shire Summer - I dont know why - life was good, bountiful, creative!
When the ROTK came out, I had this hollow feeling - life would not be the same - it was done - it was finished, and the life must go on ...
and it has here, a bit like the Shire for a while Wink ... nothing much changing until the end of last year and through this year - rumours abroad - The Hobbit movie.Wink
The new boards like raising the Shire! - things have gone through a needed transition, a wake-up and there are many good things to come ... Im sure.
... and in 20 years time ... if Im not in a nursing home dribbling about the good ol' days (all thing Tolkien and tORN) ... and have been wheeled into a corner away from the latest technology ... I hope to be posting here!! ... with the rest of you Laugh

The Road Goes Ever On and On ...
Happy 70th Birthday to The Hobbit!!

Tolkien was a Capricorn!
..*sing & sway* "All we are saying ..Is Give Pete A Chance" ...
"Your friends are with you Peter"
Let the Hobbit Happen!!!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 21 2007, 3:35am

Post #79 of 96 (935 views)
Shortcut
Another reason to upgrade! [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know how many of us have had to do that, upgrade our browsers to see things properly. I had to, and am glad, because my Safari's working faster now!

Amazing, isn't it, how many little good things can come out of a near-disaster...

*hugs TPTB*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Eärwen Swan Maiden Of Alqualondë
Bree

Oct 21 2007, 5:19am

Post #80 of 96 (924 views)
Shortcut
Phooey! [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder what could be wrong? I am getting the whole bland page, vertical line up thing, and when I click on anything it doesn't work. I took your advice and updated both Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer to the latest versions, but it's still the same thing.Unsure I hope it is the DNS thing that is causing it and that it will work soon!

Peek-A-Boo!

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Oct 21 2007, 7:51am

Post #81 of 96 (912 views)
Shortcut
Yep, suffering in the same boat here :-(((// [In reply to] Can't Post

Son of Elizabeth in Frodo's tree
March, 2007

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

Tyler
Lorien

Oct 21 2007, 12:20pm

Post #82 of 96 (913 views)
Shortcut
I like it alot ! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think this has to be the best way to say it.

In Reply To
It's recognisably TORN, but all shiny and new. Good work, guys, and thank you!

Never doubt that a small group of peple can change the world indeed,that is the onely thing that ever has......Margaret mead

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 21 2007, 1:02pm

Post #83 of 96 (908 views)
Shortcut
I could see the new design fine on Friday... [In reply to] Can't Post

but on Saturday I got the bland design. So I don't think either updated browser or DNS is the problem. The links work for me though.

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Oct 21 2007, 1:55pm

Post #84 of 96 (930 views)
Shortcut
Oh! There it is! [In reply to] Can't Post

I couldn't see it until this morning, in either Opera or Firefox. (Got either blank page or just text.) I thought I'd have to come up with more conspiracy theories about why everyone could see the new site except me! But I can see it now! Awesome! Thanks, C & C and everyone else who helped. W00t!

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Oct 21 2007, 5:31pm

Post #85 of 96 (886 views)
Shortcut
Still no good as of Sunday :-((( // [In reply to] Can't Post

March, 2007

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 21 2007, 6:42pm

Post #86 of 96 (908 views)
Shortcut
I emailed some info on the Complete Recordings [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't know if they've got time to deal with it but they had asked on the homepage awhile back to be kept apprised.

In that email I said I enjoyed the new design and thought the fact that we could see it sometimes but not at others was probably a factor of the continued work on it. But I suggested they post an announcement when they were 'done' so we would know when to worry about our browsers working properly. For the moment, I'll assume it's on their end and not on mine since I believe my browser is up to date.

Eregian
The Shire

Oct 21 2007, 11:06pm

Post #87 of 96 (927 views)
Shortcut
Head on [In reply to] Can't Post

Draug absolutely nails my feeling I had while watching the credits of ROTK. It felt like the saddest thing. A couple of years later I learned that this feeling does happen more often in one lifetime. When I was still in my early teen years I was hysterically found of dragons. Watching Dragonheart, it felt like the glory days of cinema was over. Films couldn't become any better, perfection was reached. Now I'm older I of course know Dragonheart was far from a perfect movie, it even leaned the other way around. But that was my feeling, growing up, it completely nailed my romantic dreams, like becoming an astronaut!

1999: The LOTR madness slowly starts to rise. The magic of movies wasn't lost after all. Another life lesson learned Smile

Point is, there comes a time the things that were a part of our life will diminish, disappear or end. New things will come though. I never thought I would read another Tolkien story again. 2007 arrives, bringing along Children of Húrin. Who knows what the future brings. Good things will come and go, like the eb and flow. A certainty in life, but it doesn't make it any less sad.

Another example: Who knew we had a chance to walk around in Middle Earth itself, made possible by LOTRO, the MMORPG game. The future has much in store for us. Thats why the new site design (even if by accident) reinvigorates the feel good things will come back, and sooner than we could have hoped...

Run you pigeon's, it's Robert Frost!

Rivendweller
Lorien

Oct 22 2007, 3:20am

Post #88 of 96 (905 views)
Shortcut
All this in just three days?!?! [In reply to] Can't Post

You are all amazing ! You fixed a disaster and created a shiny new updated look and feel all in just three days? That is incredible work and shows such dedication to all of us. It seems to be working just fine for me, so I am one of the lucky ones eh?

Many many thanks are due to all who worked so tirelessly and for those whose love for Tolkien and TORn brought them back to help. That is just awesome. Heart

Whether because Frodo was so worn by his long pains, wound of knife, and venomous sting, and sorrow, fear, and homeless wandering, or because some gift of final strength was given to him, Sam lifted Frodo with no more difficulty than if he were carrying a hobbit child pig-a-back....
Frodo opened his eyes and drew a breath....'Thank you, Sam,' he said in a cracked whisper. 'How far is there to go?' --RotK, "Mount Doom"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Formerly A'amel from days gone by.

Eärwen Swan Maiden Of Alqualondë
Bree

Oct 22 2007, 9:07am

Post #89 of 96 (869 views)
Shortcut
WooHoo! It's working!!! :-D // [In reply to] Can't Post

Peek-A-Boo!

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Oct 22 2007, 10:14pm

Post #90 of 96 (882 views)
Shortcut
Yay, finally I got it! [In reply to] Can't Post

As of this morning (Monday) I was still getting an unformatted version of the new site, but now at last it's up even here in Hawaii (maybe the last outpost on earth?)! And it looks great! Thanks and congratulations to everyone who's been working on it!

One question: why does the title bar say "Hobbit Movie News and Rumors"? Surely there's something a little more generic and appropriate?

March, 2007

(This post was edited by Elizabeth on Oct 22 2007, 10:16pm)

Tamara
Rivendell

Oct 23 2007, 12:25am

Post #91 of 96 (894 views)
Shortcut
LP's [In reply to] Can't Post

I just hope the Line Parties will make it back to the main directory- For that little Tolkien film we keep hoping for, The Hobbit! Angelic Good to keep those contacts handy, ya know!
---Tamara

Being a "Steward of Harvard" is almost as good as being Steward of Gondor, but I'd still like to visit Minas Tirith.

Elven
Valinor

Oct 23 2007, 12:51am

Post #92 of 96 (866 views)
Shortcut
Beautifully expressed! // [In reply to] Can't Post

The Road Goes Ever On and On ...
Happy 70th Birthday to The Hobbit!!

Tolkien was a Capricorn!
..*sing & sway* "All we are saying ..Is Give Pete A Chance" ...
"Your friends are with you Peter"
Let the Hobbit Happen!!!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 23 2007, 4:16pm

Post #93 of 96 (864 views)
Shortcut
So am I [In reply to] Can't Post

... a work in progress, that is. I don't promise to achieve what Corvar, Calisuri, Arathorn, BG, you and everyone else who has been sweating mothballs to keep us going, though.

Yes three cheers!!

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

My DragonCon 07 Report

maegwen
Sr. Staff

Oct 23 2007, 4:39pm

Post #94 of 96 (860 views)
Shortcut
You can find them [In reply to] Can't Post

Still on the old site, here: http://archives.theonering.net/movie/lineparty/index.php

They seem to be working. I guess this is one of the things that will be on the list of imports to the new template. I don't think we're quite there yet though.

Tamara
Rivendell

Oct 23 2007, 4:50pm

Post #95 of 96 (873 views)
Shortcut
Terrific! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yep, I'm still using the old site to maintain our movie viewings, readings,etc. Poor MrCere had me emailing programming questions when I realized there was no 2008 in the dropdown list for event planning. Sacre Bleu! Tongue Must keep the group on alert, so it's good to know it will be moving over in time.
---Tamara

In Reply To
Still on the old site, here: http://archives.theonering.net/movie/lineparty/index.php

They seem to be working. I guess this is one of the things that will be on the list of imports to the new template. I don't think we're quite there yet though.

Being a "Steward of Harvard" is almost as good as being Steward of Gondor, but I'd still like to visit Minas Tirith.

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Oct 28 2007, 11:16am

Post #96 of 96 (886 views)
Shortcut
Only today I come back & discover it too!... GREAT indeed!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.