Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
How do you think they'll handle Bilbo's invisibility?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

nobofthepony
Lorien

Aug 4 2012, 6:23pm

Post #1 of 56 (2209 views)
Shortcut
How do you think they'll handle Bilbo's invisibility? Can't Post

Vanishing or "ring world" like in LOTR?

Transparency like in the cartoon? Bilbo has a lot of dramatic moments while he's invisible. How do you think they'll handle that?

GoodGuyA
Lorien

Aug 4 2012, 6:33pm

Post #2 of 56 (936 views)
Shortcut
I'm expecting Ring World [In reply to] Can't Post

Instead of everything being chaotic and terrifying though, it will be more of a background effect. I expect far less WOOOOSH-ing in the background. Some people don't like the effect, but I found it to be a very nice way of seeing things as it came to a world which was, canonically, different than our own.

TomthePilgrim
Rohan

Aug 4 2012, 6:42pm

Post #3 of 56 (895 views)
Shortcut
I've had a few thoughts on the subject as of late . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

How the Ring effects the wearer is important. In the LOTR it was portrayed as a harrowing, dangerous endeavour. Sauron would sense the use of the Ring, and he could speak to, and maybe even sense the surroundings of, the wearer.

However, I think the best way for PJ and company to explain the differences is thus:

Sauron had been hiding in Dol Guldur for a long time, but he had not chosen the site simply for it's remoteness. It was also very close to Gladden Fields, the place where Isildur lost the Ring.
As Sauron is still in hiding in Dol Guldur, he is obviously still too weak to show himself. In this weakened state, he may or may not be able to sense it's use. If he can sense it's use, he may not be able to contact the wearer or sense his location. He may not want to show his power as of yet . . .

In the LOTR, when invisible, there are a great deal of 'turbulance' and the colours were often reminisent of the colour of The Eye. I expect the colour will be gone and the 'turbulance' will diminish . . . otherwise, I can't imagine PJ would make it TOO different from the Trilogy.

"I am Gandalf, and Gandalf means me!"

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,

"Thorin sat up with a start. 'Something is not right,' he muttered to himself as he stood up and looked towards the mirror . . . . . . . . . 'Durin's bones', he gasped, 'what's happened to my beard?'"

Istaris'staffs
Rivendell

Aug 4 2012, 6:44pm

Post #4 of 56 (814 views)
Shortcut
I was wondering about this too... [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess it has to be faithful to how it was in LOTR but some casual fans will wonder about Sauron, etc. I don't know if this makes sense, but the amount of noise (Sauron's voice, the whooshing, the screaming) also makes it difficult for me to figure how they're going to do it in TH

Arandir
Gondor

Aug 4 2012, 6:51pm

Post #5 of 56 (808 views)
Shortcut
I think [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't be certain regarding how Bilbo will see the world around him, but with regards to how the audience will 'see' his invisibility, remember the ComicCon giveaway?

http://25.media.tumblr.com/...Vv1qkgkowo1_1280.jpg

I guess it pretty much confirms that Bilbo will be seen as this sort of liquid-ish material (like the T-1000 in Terminator)

(This post was edited by Arandir on Aug 4 2012, 6:52pm)

nobofthepony
Lorien

Aug 4 2012, 7:02pm

Post #6 of 56 (705 views)
Shortcut
Really? [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't see this. This was revealed at Comic-Con?

Arandir
Gondor

Aug 4 2012, 7:06pm

Post #7 of 56 (672 views)
Shortcut
Link [In reply to] Can't Post

Yep! Here you go: Wink

http://www.theonering.net/...comic-con-exclusive/

Welsh hero
Gondor

Aug 4 2012, 7:14pm

Post #8 of 56 (646 views)
Shortcut
Vanishing like he did in the first film [In reply to] Can't Post

-Irfon

Twitter: @IrfonPennant
middle earth timeline FB: https://www.facebook.com/MiddleEarth1

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 4 2012, 7:20pm

Post #9 of 56 (680 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure if you're joking or not ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess it pretty much confirms that Bilbo will be seen as this sort of liquid-ish material (like the T-1000 in Terminator)

It's only a toy figure ... I'm not sure it confirms anything of what it will look like in the film.

Arandir
Gondor

Aug 4 2012, 7:28pm

Post #10 of 56 (611 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

of course I can't be sure what they'll do, but considering they advertized an 'invisible' Bilbo in the ComicCon box, it made me wonder why they'd choose THAT particular model/portrayal out of many.

Why not a visible Bilbo? What's into showing how an invisible Bilbo model looks like? (if he's really not seen in the film, may as well have given an empty box! Laugh)

Still, I can't imagine that Bilbo will be completely invisible, considering the amount of events that occur under such a disguise - some I guess so 'materiality' will be present - similar to the giveaway figure.

Nothing for certain - just an educated guess Wink

(This post was edited by Arandir on Aug 4 2012, 7:29pm)

TomthePilgrim
Rohan

Aug 4 2012, 7:28pm

Post #11 of 56 (555 views)
Shortcut
hmmmmmm . . . . . . . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

I really hope that turns out to be wrong . . .

"I am Gandalf, and Gandalf means me!"

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,

"Thorin sat up with a start. 'Something is not right,' he muttered to himself as he stood up and looked towards the mirror . . . . . . . . . 'Durin's bones', he gasped, 'what's happened to my beard?'"

dormouse
Half-elven

Aug 4 2012, 7:33pm

Post #12 of 56 (652 views)
Shortcut
That was just a toy [In reply to] Can't Post

And probably the only way they could make an invisible toy - that or persuade people to buy an empty box! If Bilbo looked like that in the film surely no one would believe that he couldn't be seen.

They've already done Bilbo wearing the Ring in Fellowship. He disappears and you hear his footsteps or breathing, see things move as he passes. I can't see why they would do any different this time - though they might also give him a shadow in bright light, for the goblins to see.

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 4 2012, 7:33pm

Post #13 of 56 (599 views)
Shortcut
Yes, it's invisible Bilbo [In reply to] Can't Post

I wasn't saying it wasn't ... it was your comment about him being seen like liquid in the film.

It's only a toy - how else are they supposed to get across he's invisible?

Arandir
Gondor

Aug 4 2012, 7:38pm

Post #14 of 56 (573 views)
Shortcut
Uhm [In reply to] Can't Post

When I compared it to liquid, I didn't mean that they'd be making the shining reflective metal stuff to portray him - I just wanted to make another film comparison (I guess I shouldn't have done that now).

I know it's just a toy but aren't these type of models meant to represent the content of the film ... you know, as a marketing campaign?

And after all, what's wrong with such an invisible-looking Bilbo?

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Aug 4 2012, 7:39pm

Post #15 of 56 (745 views)
Shortcut
Why does it have to be faithful to how it was shown in LOTR? [In reply to] Can't Post

I really have a difficult time understanding this 'consistency at all costs' philosophy.

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Aug 4 2012, 7:40pm

Post #16 of 56 (625 views)
Shortcut
When Bilbo first puts on the Ring - [In reply to] Can't Post

- it's dark, so the watery effect might not be so evident. Once he's in the daylight it will be a much less darker and less distorted version of what we saw in LOTR. Bilbo will probably at first think that he was a bit dizzy from a stumble....

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 4 2012, 7:40pm

Post #17 of 56 (564 views)
Shortcut
Yes, it represents Bilbo's invisibility [In reply to] Can't Post

But Bilbo isn't going to have a plastic opaque-y appearance in the film.

Arandir
Gondor

Aug 4 2012, 7:41pm

Post #18 of 56 (624 views)
Shortcut
It's not just one scene [In reply to] Can't Post

it's a series of scene - almost entire sequences that portray him in that state - in Goblin Town, during the Spider battle, in Thranduil's Halls, confrontation with Smaug, etc

So I'm guessing, the audience would want to 'connect' with something that is present - rather than seeing a sword flying in mid-air ... Laugh

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Aug 4 2012, 7:42pm

Post #19 of 56 (673 views)
Shortcut
Why should it not be? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Arandir
Gondor

Aug 4 2012, 7:42pm

Post #20 of 56 (546 views)
Shortcut
No no [In reply to] Can't Post

that's true, but that kind of 'shine' and blending with the environment is best represented like that I guess

shadowdog
Rohan

Aug 4 2012, 7:44pm

Post #21 of 56 (531 views)
Shortcut
Agree [In reply to] Can't Post

They wouldn't sell many invisible Bilbos with nothing there at all. SlyEvil

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 4 2012, 7:52pm

Post #22 of 56 (664 views)
Shortcut
Because [In reply to] Can't Post

The people who liked LOTR are taking the "if it ain't broke" and "when I watch all six consecutively in a marathon" points of view.

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

DesiringDragons
Lorien

Aug 4 2012, 7:52pm

Post #23 of 56 (610 views)
Shortcut
They could do a sort of shimmery effect but [In reply to] Can't Post

it might look a bit Romulan Cloaking Device.

I think it could work with him completely invisible, as in the LotR films, despite the number of scenes. I guess we'll have to see.

I think the "Ring World" effect will be less pronounced and scary-looking, though, as others have said - because Sauron is not yet actively searching for the ring.

Arandir
Gondor

Aug 4 2012, 7:59pm

Post #24 of 56 (520 views)
Shortcut
Although I wouldn't mind [In reply to] Can't Post

acquiring that nice box, still Laugh

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Aug 4 2012, 8:06pm

Post #25 of 56 (692 views)
Shortcut
Because the Hobbit takes place at an earlier time [In reply to] Can't Post

When Sauron wasn't actively hunting for the Ring.

Plus, Bilbo uses it at the start of FOTR, and there is no indication that he goes through a crazy vortex before popping back to visibility in Bag End.

Plus, good storytelling shoud be the main goal of the filmmakers, not consistency (Emerson's hobgoblin.)

I think it would be great if we get an unnaturally darkened effect, as when Gandalf does his "conjuror" thing in Bag End. Something subtle, yet slightly unsettling. Not the in your face bombast we got in LOTR, which was not even close to how Tolkien described it.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.