Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming & Collecting:
WETA's "The Hobbit: The Art of an Unexpected Journey"?

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Aug 4 2012, 4:47pm

Post #1 of 8 (190 views)
Shortcut
WETA's "The Hobbit: The Art of an Unexpected Journey"? Can't Post

Recently while poking about the internet looking for TH news, I stumbled across a listing for an upcoming book from WETA Workshop: The Hobbit: The Art of an Unexpected Journey, which was set for release this December (along with WETA's other upcoming volume, The Hobbit Chronicles: An Unexpected Journey). Here's the listing on Amazon Canada, though the other which I'd found (specifically mentioning WETA as the publisher) seems to have been taken down.

If this is indeed still coming out, it'll be nice to see WETA continue their stunning collection of art books from the good 'ole LotR days. Smile

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 4 2012, 5:39pm

Post #2 of 8 (87 views)
Shortcut
Here's what I found on Amazon - US [In reply to] Can't Post

when I did a search for the same title as the one at Amazon - CA

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Visual Companion by Jude Fisher (Nov 6, 2012)
Hardcover: 72 pages
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (November 6, 2012)

Jude Fisher did the Visual Companion books for LOTR. I could have sworn I had at least one of these but I can't find it on my shelves. It might have been the books that were image intensive - info light. Nice and affordable but aimed for the general movie going audience - not the Tolkien fans who might be looking for 'more' than they already know. The images were well done, though.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Hobbit Chronicles: An Unexpected Journey by Weta Workshop (Dec 12, 2012)

This lists Weta as the 'corporate author'
Hardcover: 272 pages
Publisher: Harper Design Intl (December 12, 2012)

Hobbit Unexpected Journey Hobbit Art (Hobbit Film Tie in) by Weta (Dec 14, 2012)

This lists Weta as 'author'. Maybe this is the one you found that was removed later since it's titled slightly differently.
Hardcover: 272 pages
Publisher: Harpercollins (December 14, 2012)

For LOTR, Gary Russell did a series called 'The Art of....'. And Brian Sibley did 'LOTR Official Movie Guide' and 'LOTR: The Making of the Movie Trilogy'.

I wonder if the Weta books will kind of replace the Russell books.

There was also that Weapons book that I heard was a bit inaccurate so I've never sprung for the money when I've seen in (even at thrift stores).

There was also this:

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Activity Book by Paddy Kempshall (Nov 6, 2012)

Reading level: Ages 8 and up
Hardcover: 64 pages
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (November 6, 2012)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on Aug 4 2012, 5:42pm)

Elessar
Valinor

Aug 4 2012, 6:28pm

Post #3 of 8 (131 views)
Shortcut
Will have to order those books by Weta. [In reply to] Can't Post

I ordered the ones we talked about the other day on the FP. These books by weta will be a must.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Aug 5 2012, 6:07pm

Post #4 of 8 (70 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I believe that's the same book! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks! Saw these on Amazon as well, and they seem to have possibility, IMO...I enjoyed the visual companions (which admittedly didn't greatly expand on the film, but I felt were engaging all the same) and art books for the trilogy, so here's looking forward to the TH versions! Smile

The "Weapons and Warfare" book was also very interesting, going very in-depth and in detail, even revealing some tidbits about various cultures in ME all from WETA's notes. Can't remember any major inaccuracies, other than perhaps slightly faulty reconstructions of battles based on early edits of the films (such as describing Easterlings as being at Pelennor fields, perhaps Dunlendings at Helm's Deep). I'd definitely recommend it if one can get one's hand's on a copy.

2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 5 2012, 8:05pm

Post #5 of 8 (79 views)
Shortcut
here's what comments I can find on Weapons and Warfare [In reply to] Can't Post

for what it's worth.

squire: I like the Weapons and Warfare book, but they make a lot of stuff up in the interest of their primary readership.
http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=417463#417463

geordie: Least favorite: 'Weapons and Warfare'. Horrible mish-mash of Tolkien's works and the movies.
http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=412807#412807

AlatarVinyamar: Its an amalgam of Tolkien and Movie Lore, with the Movie Lore taking precedence where there was conflict. ... very little of this is Book Canon, but having been published and based on PJs movies
http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=151273#151273

So it looks like the source isn't problematic if you take it as pertaining only to the movie. If you want to try to apply it to book canon, it looks like one might struggle with knowing when that works and when it doesn't.

That's all I've found here but my vague memory is I've run across more. The other site I visit doesn't keep threads long term and isn't searchable.

I think I primarily haven't bought it because it doesn't interest me enough. If it were cheap enough, I might get it. But it needs to come down to less than $3 for me to spring for it.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Elessar
Valinor

Aug 5 2012, 11:03pm

Post #6 of 8 (43 views)
Shortcut
Weapons and Warefare [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't get it until last year but it's fantastic. It like the many art books and such for lotr it's worth getting IMO.

Also ordered the two hobbit books from weta through Amazon for which I have free 2 day shipping.

Buchanicus
Lorien

Aug 5 2012, 11:08pm

Post #7 of 8 (49 views)
Shortcut
Those WETA books... [In reply to] Can't Post

The art one I was expecting and then a "making of" I was hoping for.

These two WETA book releases are/will be my most anticipated merchandise releases (perhaps behind the soundtrack releases).

I have the 3 LotR "Art of.." books and they are fantastic. Also, I really enjoy the Weapons and Warfare book. Very detailed, and of course it's tied closer to the movie "universe"...it's a movie tie-in! The Making of the Movie trilogy by Brian Sibley is great too, but after the appendices on the EE sets, I've always wished it was more detailed (I would REALLY like to have "making of" books similar to the Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back making of books that have been released the last few years).

I'm also looking forward to the Visual Companion. I have the 3 LotR visual companions (also by Jude Fisher) and enjoy them.

TORn member formally known as ryan1976.

(This post was edited by Buchanicus on Aug 5 2012, 11:14pm)

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Aug 13 2012, 9:10pm

Post #8 of 8 (30 views)
Shortcut
Agreed the "making of" book is nice (has some great pic haven't seen anywhere else) if somewhat anecdotal [In reply to] Can't Post

Brian Sibley certainly knows more about Tolkien/LotR than most who could have written it, so that's a big plus IMO. Wink

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.