Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
"Three Films" News will have No Effect on Film One

Black Breathalizer
Rohan

Aug 3 2012, 2:06pm

Views: 3332
Shortcut
"Three Films" News will have No Effect on Film One Can't Post

Since the news broke that the Hobbit series will now be 3 films rather than 2, speculation has centered around where the first film will now break given the extra story time.

My theory is that the news changes nothing about the first film. Here is my rationale:

1) First off, I don't believe this was a spur-of-the-moment decision. Jackson and the studios have likely been privately discussing this since early in the shoot (or, more likely, since pre-production.) So the filming took place with the specter of three films already out there.

2) At this point in the post-production process, the edit of film one is pretty much set. The film makers are likely still editing it down but 95% of the film (minus all the special effects) is set. So its extremely late in the game for a major reedit. People like Howard Shore need to have a pretty good sense of the flow of the film long before they record the soundtrack.

3) If you buy into points 1 and 2, then the film makers began editing film one with the three films already in their minds.

So I believe that the announcement of three films only impacted Film Two. It allows the second film to have more "breathing room" (I always thought the events of ROTK would have been better broken down into 2 films). It also solves the serious problem of a second film 'anticlimax' after the death of Smaug plus the Dol Guldur subplot.

Before the "news," my prediction was that the first film would end with barrels out of bondage. My post "news" prediction is exactly the same.

(This post was edited by Black Breathalizer on Aug 3 2012, 2:07pm)

Subject User Time
"Three Films" News will have No Effect on Film One Black Breathalizer Send a private message to Black Breathalizer Aug 3 2012, 2:06pm
    I agree, mostly. Ardamírë Send a private message to Ardamírë Aug 3 2012, 2:13pm
        carefully orchestrated Black Breathalizer Send a private message to Black Breathalizer Aug 3 2012, 2:24pm
            agreed Tmoh Send a private message to Tmoh Aug 3 2012, 2:41pm
            I agree Voronwë_the_Faithful Send a private message to Voronwë_the_Faithful Aug 3 2012, 2:45pm
            Certainly seems that way DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Aug 3 2012, 2:50pm
                Communicating change Black Breathalizer Send a private message to Black Breathalizer Aug 3 2012, 2:56pm
                    Thanks for the link :-) / DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Aug 3 2012, 3:41pm
                    great link about how to comunicate a change , Black Breathalizer :) // namarie Send a private message to namarie Aug 6 2012, 3:06pm
                        RE: the link to fatherroderick.com Black Breathalizer Send a private message to Black Breathalizer Aug 6 2012, 8:09pm
            I definitely do not agree {NT} MrCere Send a private message to MrCere Aug 3 2012, 4:02pm
                I agree with your disagreement Kangi Ska Send a private message to Kangi Ska Aug 3 2012, 4:30pm
                Not really fair Voronwë_the_Faithful Send a private message to Voronwë_the_Faithful Aug 3 2012, 5:55pm
            I think I agree mostly. Ardamírë Send a private message to Ardamírë Aug 4 2012, 2:34am
    Yes, I've said the same aswell. DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Aug 3 2012, 2:38pm
    Agree and disagree, sort of.... dormouse Send a private message to dormouse Aug 3 2012, 3:31pm
        a well-kept secret Black Breathalizer Send a private message to Black Breathalizer Aug 3 2012, 4:05pm
        I think "Barrels out of Bond" will remain the end of movie #1 Kangi Ska Send a private message to Kangi Ska Aug 3 2012, 4:37pm
            Agreed! // painjoiker Send a private message to painjoiker Aug 3 2012, 8:05pm
        I think it was probably a combination of things that spawned the 3rd film Snaga Send a private message to Snaga Aug 3 2012, 9:02pm
    Can't fathom the new distribution of material... Captain Salt Send a private message to Captain Salt Aug 3 2012, 4:14pm
        Film 3 - Larry sums it up nicely DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Aug 3 2012, 4:22pm
            Yes, but IMO each those things don't really equal a lot of screentime on thier own Captain Salt Send a private message to Captain Salt Aug 3 2012, 4:37pm
                I disagree DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Aug 3 2012, 4:40pm
                    But such a film wound't really have its own narrative Captain Salt Send a private message to Captain Salt Aug 3 2012, 7:20pm
                        Well ... we will have to agree to disagree DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Aug 3 2012, 7:25pm
    There are several problems here that I'd like to point out. Tim Send a private message to Tim Aug 3 2012, 4:31pm
    Come to think of it, we never saw "There And Back Again" mentioned in the trailer nor on any posters nor anything until now... Earl Send a private message to Earl Aug 3 2012, 5:14pm
    What would the internet be without conspiracy theories. Kangi Ska Send a private message to Kangi Ska Aug 3 2012, 5:25pm
        You think so, Kangi? dormouse Send a private message to dormouse Aug 3 2012, 5:45pm
    The White Council/Dol Guldur subplot Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Aug 3 2012, 7:24pm
        I'd always thought that the majority of the Dol Guldur sub-plot in film 1 DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Aug 3 2012, 7:28pm
            I hope that the films don't mess with Tolkien's timeline too much... Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Aug 3 2012, 7:35pm
                It's really hard to say DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Aug 3 2012, 8:07pm
                    Shake and Bake phredegar Send a private message to phredegar Aug 5 2012, 7:34am
                        xmas present Black Breathalizer Send a private message to Black Breathalizer Aug 5 2012, 2:32pm
                WHOLE heartedly agree. AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Aug 5 2012, 7:02am
    Conspiracy theorists - get a life! Lissuin Send a private message to Lissuin Aug 3 2012, 8:27pm
        No conspiracy, just reality Black Breathalizer Send a private message to Black Breathalizer Aug 3 2012, 9:02pm
            And how do you know these things? // Kangi Ska Send a private message to Kangi Ska Aug 3 2012, 9:08pm
                I think "Barrels out of Bond" will remain the end of movie #1 ...+1 Yngwulff Send a private message to Yngwulff Aug 3 2012, 10:09pm
            Contracts? dormouse Send a private message to dormouse Aug 3 2012, 10:10pm
                Many references to new contracts Voronwë_the_Faithful Send a private message to Voronwë_the_Faithful Aug 3 2012, 10:34pm
                    I think the possibility of a third film DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Aug 3 2012, 10:38pm
                        Conspiracy = Movie Public Relations 101 Black Breathalizer Send a private message to Black Breathalizer Aug 4 2012, 12:51am
                            Of course it was planted deliberately easterlingchief1 Send a private message to easterlingchief1 Aug 4 2012, 2:02am
                                Nope. DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Aug 4 2012, 8:23am
                            No conspiracy needed, just caution for an idea that was late in coming guitarzankansasfan Send a private message to guitarzankansasfan Aug 4 2012, 10:09am
                                The rough cut was in existence by early May. Silverlode Send a private message to Silverlode Aug 4 2012, 5:19pm
                                    Nice catch, Silverlode Black Breathalizer Send a private message to Black Breathalizer Aug 4 2012, 5:28pm
                                        And I think Silverlode is absolutely right.... dormouse Send a private message to dormouse Aug 4 2012, 6:11pm
                                            I think Estel's point is as significant SirDennisC Send a private message to SirDennisC Aug 4 2012, 7:05pm
                                                It seems to me Silverlode Send a private message to Silverlode Aug 4 2012, 7:29pm
                                                    I believe you have discerned the truth in this situation Silverlode. Kangi Ska Send a private message to Kangi Ska Aug 4 2012, 8:08pm
                                                I suppose what it comes down to in the end... dormouse Send a private message to dormouse Aug 4 2012, 8:14pm
                                                    wow Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Aug 4 2012, 9:43pm
                                                        thanks // dormouse Send a private message to dormouse Aug 4 2012, 10:29pm
                                                            Just to gauge the degree of separation on this point SirDennisC Send a private message to SirDennisC Aug 5 2012, 5:08am
                                                    I've been saying something similar SirDennisC Send a private message to SirDennisC Aug 4 2012, 10:08pm
                                                Ok ok (grumble grumble), and thanks, Sir Dennis. Lissuin Send a private message to Lissuin Aug 4 2012, 9:25pm
                                                    Yes... dormouse Send a private message to dormouse Aug 4 2012, 10:08pm
                                                    A carefully orchestrated response =) Black Breathalizer Send a private message to Black Breathalizer Aug 4 2012, 11:40pm
                                                        Exactly Shelob'sAppetite Send a private message to Shelob'sAppetite Aug 5 2012, 2:05am
                                                            Not all conspiracy theories are insane. lol AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Aug 5 2012, 6:45am
                                                        Black Breathalizer: My ideas on "the marketing" of Film 3. Lissuin Send a private message to Lissuin Aug 5 2012, 8:30pm
                                                            marketing Black Breathalizer Send a private message to Black Breathalizer Aug 5 2012, 10:08pm
            I wouldn't surmise much on the need to negotiate & produce new contracts Snaga Send a private message to Snaga Aug 3 2012, 10:32pm
            Conspiracy theory / cynicism - same thing. Lissuin Send a private message to Lissuin Aug 4 2012, 2:17am
                When you've been paying careful attention as long as VTF has SirDennisC Send a private message to SirDennisC Aug 4 2012, 2:35am
                    Speculation and slander, sir. How dare you? easterlingchief1 Send a private message to easterlingchief1 Aug 4 2012, 3:11am
                What's common sense...and what isn't. Black Breathalizer Send a private message to Black Breathalizer Aug 4 2012, 3:27am
                    You're right, a third film has been in discussion since the project started Estel78 Send a private message to Estel78 Aug 4 2012, 10:01am
                        But 'in discussion' dormouse Send a private message to dormouse Aug 4 2012, 11:13am
                            True Estel78 Send a private message to Estel78 Aug 4 2012, 3:52pm
    I'm glad you posted this... Istaris'staffs Send a private message to Istaris'staffs Aug 3 2012, 10:33pm
    Not so sure Shelob'sAppetite Send a private message to Shelob'sAppetite Aug 3 2012, 10:42pm
        I'd put money on that film 1 doesn't end before they enter Mirkwood / DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Aug 3 2012, 10:46pm
            I'd bet money too Yngwulff Send a private message to Yngwulff Aug 3 2012, 10:47pm
            The eagle escape is a perfect dramatic ending Shelob'sAppetite Send a private message to Shelob'sAppetite Aug 3 2012, 10:49pm
                I'm not saying end the film between Beorn and Mirkwood DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Aug 3 2012, 10:57pm
                    Read PJ's announcement Yngwulff Send a private message to Yngwulff Aug 3 2012, 11:04pm
                        Anywhere in Mirkwood would be a good time to stop DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Aug 3 2012, 11:10pm
                            end Lusitano Send a private message to Lusitano Aug 3 2012, 11:40pm
                        At one point, the scenes at Minas Mrogul, Shelob's Tunnel, and the ruins of Isengard were at the end of The Two Towers easterlingchief1 Send a private message to easterlingchief1 Aug 4 2012, 1:12am
                            Point of clarification.. Black Breathalizer Send a private message to Black Breathalizer Aug 4 2012, 1:19am
                        PJs announcement suggests nothing Shelob'sAppetite Send a private message to Shelob'sAppetite Aug 4 2012, 8:53pm
                The Eagle Escape would leave a weak first film.// Kangi Ska Send a private message to Kangi Ska Aug 4 2012, 12:15am
        how could it possibly end at the eagles rescue? that's barely half a movie lurtz2010 Send a private message to lurtz2010 Aug 3 2012, 11:42pm
            Assumptions of impossibility are interestingly pervasive. Escapist Send a private message to Escapist Aug 4 2012, 2:24am
                Not if you think FOTR was rushed Shelob'sAppetite Send a private message to Shelob'sAppetite Aug 4 2012, 5:06am
        I doubt this. It is TOO open an ending. The audience would feel like they were AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Aug 5 2012, 7:00am
            his completely depends on how it is handled Shelob'sAppetite Send a private message to Shelob'sAppetite Aug 5 2012, 5:11pm
                A three act play Black Breathalizer Send a private message to Black Breathalizer Aug 5 2012, 6:21pm
                well Lusitano Send a private message to Lusitano Aug 5 2012, 6:34pm
                    FOTR vs AUJ Black Breathalizer Send a private message to Black Breathalizer Aug 5 2012, 6:46pm
                        yes Lusitano Send a private message to Lusitano Aug 5 2012, 7:10pm
                            what? Black Breathalizer Send a private message to Black Breathalizer Aug 5 2012, 8:07pm
                                maybe Lusitano Send a private message to Lusitano Aug 5 2012, 8:18pm
                    Agreed Shelob'sAppetite Send a private message to Shelob'sAppetite Aug 6 2012, 2:17am
                        mm Lusitano Send a private message to Lusitano Aug 6 2012, 3:07am
                            One perk of starting film2 with Beorn Escapist Send a private message to Escapist Aug 6 2012, 10:04pm
                                Good point Shelob'sAppetite Send a private message to Shelob'sAppetite Aug 6 2012, 11:08pm
                                    thats a good point but Lusitano Send a private message to Lusitano Aug 7 2012, 1:20am
                                        And obviously Escapist Send a private message to Escapist Aug 7 2012, 2:09am
                        It leaves the audience in the air, literally and figuratively, and feels gimmicky AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Aug 7 2012, 2:52am
                            Ending with the Eagles is a good place to stop. Escapist Send a private message to Escapist Aug 7 2012, 3:23am
                                Really? What has he burgled? He lucked upon the Ring or Fated upon it. AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Aug 7 2012, 4:18am
    I think your reason (2) makes sense. Escapist Send a private message to Escapist Aug 4 2012, 1:01am
    I don't buy this for a second easterlingchief1 Send a private message to easterlingchief1 Aug 4 2012, 1:21am
        edits Black Breathalizer Send a private message to Black Breathalizer Aug 4 2012, 1:36am
            But that doesn't prove anything easterlingchief1 Send a private message to easterlingchief1 Aug 4 2012, 1:55am
                Barrels in Film One Black Breathalizer Send a private message to Black Breathalizer Aug 4 2012, 2:17am
                    I understand where you're coming from, but 2 things come to mind easterlingchief1 Send a private message to easterlingchief1 Aug 4 2012, 2:34am
                    RE: your second point easterlingchief1 Send a private message to easterlingchief1 Aug 4 2012, 3:10am
        There ar no prints. Kangi Ska Send a private message to Kangi Ska Aug 4 2012, 1:42am
            Oh You know what I mean easterlingchief1 Send a private message to easterlingchief1 Aug 4 2012, 2:07am
                Imprecise terminology leads to misunderstandings.// Kangi Ska Send a private message to Kangi Ska Aug 4 2012, 2:15am
        Exactly Shelob'sAppetite Send a private message to Shelob'sAppetite Aug 4 2012, 8:15pm
    However appealing conspiracy theories may be Oiotári Send a private message to Oiotári Aug 4 2012, 6:35am
    thanks carrioncrow Send a private message to carrioncrow Aug 5 2012, 12:18am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.