Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Would you purchase and/or wear these Hobbit 3D glasses to see the films?
Poll: Would you purchase and/or wear these Hobbit 3D glasses to see the films?
Yes! I can't wait to have a pair! (of glasses)
No! These are vile! I loathe them!
Maybe, but not by myself. Others with me must wear them too.
Yes, if there is an IMAX version.
Yes, but just to wear all of the time.
Other
Never! I dislike the third dimension we live in!
Yes, but only as driving glasses.
View Results (33 votes)

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Aug 3 2012, 10:36am

Post #1 of 14 (677 views)
Shortcut
Would you purchase and/or wear these Hobbit 3D glasses to see the films? Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 3 2012, 10:40am

Post #2 of 14 (326 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I'll wear them. On 2 conditions [In reply to] Can't Post

1) It's the opening night
2) I'm not the only one wearing them

I wouldn't take them to every screening Blush

DesiringDragons
Lorien

Aug 3 2012, 11:42am

Post #3 of 14 (267 views)
Shortcut
I wanted to tick the Driving Glasses box [In reply to] Can't Post

just because it made me laugh.

"Yup, nothing to see here...what are you looking at? Is the world not in 3D?"

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 3 2012, 11:47am

Post #4 of 14 (276 views)
Shortcut
Yeah I'll buy them if I can :) [In reply to] Can't Post

And I'll wear them to every 3D screening I go to Cool

I've never cared about what people say or think of me, and anyway, I doubt anyone would even be looking at me in a cinema hall when The Hobbit is playing Sly

imin
Valinor

Aug 3 2012, 1:29pm

Post #5 of 14 (297 views)
Shortcut
They look fun and will get a pair if reasonably priced // [In reply to] Can't Post

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Aug 3 2012, 3:15pm

Post #6 of 14 (312 views)
Shortcut
They look uncomfortable as heck [In reply to] Can't Post

especially the part that will sit behind the ears. My advice (if you got a pair Wink) is to apply adhesive bandages to your ears before wearing them.

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Aug 3 2012, 3:16pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 3 2012, 4:10pm

Post #7 of 14 (299 views)
Shortcut
no because they are silly looking and I don't need to spend money on stuff like this [In reply to] Can't Post

I went through a period with LOTR where I would buy silly stuff. But now it's in my house in boxes and now I'm over that extreme passion and now I'm broke.

So... no. I won't be buying them.

Yngwulff
Gondor

Aug 3 2012, 10:56pm

Post #8 of 14 (243 views)
Shortcut
Other [In reply to] Can't Post

Only if they can be worn over my glasses or the make a clip on version for those who wear glasses.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Aug 4 2012, 12:34am

Post #9 of 14 (317 views)
Shortcut
I've about given up on 3D [In reply to] Can't Post

until they can make the technology better. I don't mind the concept itself. I've done a lot of 3D photography and have fun looking at my photos in my great-grandmother's stereoscope. But the technology doesn't seem to have gotten much better since her day. The glasses I've worn are uncomfortable and slide down my nose; I have to hold them up with my finger, which really distracts from the movie experience. And the movies I've seen in 3D are so much darker than the 2D versions, because the polarization cuts out half the light. My family has learned that if they want a cheerful Mom at the end of the movie, we should go to the 2D version, and save the 3D version for when I'm not along.

I'll probably see The Hobbit once in 3D just to see what it's like, but I'll probably see it a lot more often in 2D.

Patty
Immortal

Aug 6 2012, 8:54am

Post #10 of 14 (223 views)
Shortcut
Ha, ha Magpie...your post made me smile. [In reply to] Can't Post

I went through that extreme passion with LotR, like you, and I have a great deal of trouble maintaining it with The Hobbit, which was never as dear to me as LotR. But, depending on how it's done, it'll be more of Middle-earth, and I'm pushing myself to enjoy it. The production videos help the most of anything else happening.

I bought a whole bunch of stuff for Rings, and my heart won't let me get rid of it--even the BK ring that sits on my bookcase collecting dust.

We are purchasing a bigger TV for our 25th houseversary and I plan a Rings marathon then or nearer to the new film's release. Perhaps that'll put me so much back in the mood that I'll buy those glasses, too. But I know that, other than the blu-rays when they are released, and perhaps a few tee shirts, my passion related-buying is over. It's a good thing, cause my house is too small for that.

Sam20
Lorien

Aug 6 2012, 11:12pm

Post #11 of 14 (213 views)
Shortcut
Not at all. [In reply to] Can't Post

I just think it's a waste of money since they'll probably cost more than the 'conventional' RealD glasses which are included when you buy a ticket. Plus, how they look uncomfortable! Not interested on this, I'll pass my turn.

(This post was edited by sam90 on Aug 6 2012, 11:15pm)

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Aug 7 2012, 5:19am

Post #12 of 14 (221 views)
Shortcut
Other, bother these glasses [In reply to] Can't Post

If I get them, my kids'll want them, and that's no good, as we all wear glasses anyway, so it's all a bit pointless. Plus, my Hobbit (son) is getting new glasses, and with the style of them, well... somehow, it just seems a bit silly to get special Hobbit glasses to put over Harry Potter glasses... I mean, what's next, add Geordie LaForge's visor to complete the look?!?

stormcrow20
Gondor

Aug 7 2012, 10:53am

Post #13 of 14 (248 views)
Shortcut
Definitely! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love little promo items like this! I sought out such things for LotR, and I happily will for The Hobbit as well. I think these glasses are pretty neat, and unless they are very uncomfortable, I'll wear them to every 3D Hobbit showing I happen to attend. However trivial and momentary things like this may be, they just make the movie-going experience that much more fun!

Sam20
Lorien

Aug 9 2012, 12:00am

Post #14 of 14 (325 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit glasses [In reply to] Can't Post

@stormcrow20

quote:

'However trivial and momentary things like this may be, they just make the movie-going experience that much more fun!'

I understand your point but in the end these glasses do not 'improve' the 3D experience of the film in any way and does the exact same thing than the RealD glasses that we get cheaper in theater. I am curious to see the price but I am sure they cost more for you pay for 'The Hobbit' brand. But if people enjoy them, I've no problem with that!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.