Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
Is TORN wrong about the Hobbit cast?

Arandir
Gondor

Aug 2 2012, 5:03pm

Post #1 of 24 (1117 views)
Shortcut
Is TORN wrong about the Hobbit cast? Can't Post

Just saw this post on Facebook by the Tolkien Gateway stating that several cast announcements (particularly revolving Azog/Bolg) have been misinterpreted by TORN and IMDB.

I'm posting this here just to let everyone know and enquire whether any 'confirmation' about these changes has taken place.

https://www.facebook.com/tolkiengateway

(This post was edited by Arandir on Aug 2 2012, 5:04pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 2 2012, 5:06pm

Post #2 of 24 (573 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Arandir! [In reply to] Can't Post

At the time (and what we had to go on), all the TORn information was (thought to be) correct. But clearly John Rawls' character name has been changed!

So will we be getting Bolg and Azog after all? Interesting ...

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Aug 2 2012, 5:06pm)

Arandir
Gondor

Aug 2 2012, 5:07pm

Post #3 of 24 (591 views)
Shortcut
So the Tolkien Gateway states ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... wasn't sure whether they were accusing TORN about the information or not ... so I thought I'd better let you know! Wink

(This post was edited by Arandir on Aug 2 2012, 5:08pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 2 2012, 5:10pm

Post #4 of 24 (558 views)
Shortcut
The Drogo information is outdated [In reply to] Can't Post

But the whole Azog/Bolg thing has *always* been confusing. At least this clears up a bit of it.

So Yazneg ... doesn't sound particularly orcish?

Arandir
Gondor

Aug 2 2012, 5:13pm

Post #5 of 24 (545 views)
Shortcut
Yeah I don't see why [In reply to] Can't Post

they wouldn't involve Bolg (if all this is true of course), but it would be very disappointing if he was omitted - (considering there's room enough to include him somewhere within three films now Laugh)

And Yazneg .... meh!Unsure

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 2 2012, 5:15pm

Post #6 of 24 (546 views)
Shortcut
I'm getting even more confused... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Altaira confirmed that Conan was Bolg. Maybe I should be quiet until someone who knows what they're talking about joins in! Laugh

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Aug 2 2012, 6:35pm

Post #7 of 24 (498 views)
Shortcut
Two I can confirm, 1 am confused about [In reply to] Can't Post

First, Conan Stevens is Bolg. He told me, the production told me and - well - I signed a non-disclosure, but I know from other evidence as well. Once announced otherwise, he is Bolg.

Yes, Ryan Gage is Alfrid and we know better, somehow we didn't update it. If we weren't all volunteers, we would fire ourselves.

Finally, John Rawls was playing Azog. This page (http://www.kr-actors.co.nz/detailsx.php?act_id=130) says he is playing Yazneg. Does anybody know if this page is a recent update or is this a really old listing? If it is a recent update, then I would say it is extremely interesting. If the page is old, then I am guessing things changed about the same time they did for Conan.

I have no choice but to believe in free will.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 2 2012, 6:38pm

Post #8 of 24 (469 views)
Shortcut
All I can add, MrCere, is that Yazneg [In reply to] Can't Post

was trademarked very recently (24/07/2012):

http://trademarks.justia.com/...yazneg-85679364.html

Thank you for confirming Conan as well Smile.

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 2 2012, 6:45pm

Post #9 of 24 (465 views)
Shortcut
wow... looking at the trademarks held by Zanetz is entertaining [In reply to] Can't Post

http://trademarks.justia.com/...entz-company-452119/

GANDALF THE WIZARD-CLOWN
MY PRECIOUSSS
FRODO'S PIZZA
ROHAN NUTRITION

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 2 2012, 6:52pm

Post #10 of 24 (401 views)
Shortcut
So that's what comes after White! [In reply to] Can't Post

Blue
Brown
Grey
White
Clown

Laugh

And they've trademarked "Arkenstone", which is a good thing!

Arandir
Gondor

Aug 2 2012, 6:54pm

Post #11 of 24 (380 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the confirmation MrCere! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Aug 2 2012, 7:59pm

Post #12 of 24 (364 views)
Shortcut
Updates are in progress [In reply to] Can't Post

Been chipping away at them. They should all be fixed in a few days. Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Aug 2 2012, 8:33pm

Post #13 of 24 (320 views)
Shortcut
I wonder if any of those are film 2 or 3 titles? XD [In reply to] Can't Post

DesiringDragons
Lorien

Aug 2 2012, 8:35pm

Post #14 of 24 (347 views)
Shortcut
I do hope Cumberbatch is confirmed... [In reply to] Can't Post

...for The Necromancer as well as the voice of Smaug. It won't break my heart if he's not, but I quite like him as an actor and the more, the better, as far as I am concerned. :)

Carne
Tol Eressea

Aug 2 2012, 8:52pm

Post #15 of 24 (320 views)
Shortcut
Don't forget Craig Hall as Galion! [In reply to] Can't Post

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Aug 2 2012, 10:42pm

Post #16 of 24 (368 views)
Shortcut
There's a hint of byte measuring [In reply to] Can't Post

that I find distasteful in that entry. I expected more from Tolkien Gateway.

On the plus side, no longer can they argue that it doesn't matter what TORn says.

You're doing a fine TORn... steady as she goes.

KingAragorn

Aug 3 2012, 5:27pm

Post #17 of 24 (306 views)
Shortcut
As the Tolkien Gateway contributor who [In reply to] Can't Post

wrote the Facebook (and Twitter) post I feel that I must speak up.

I'm not sure what you found distasteful, but I apologise if it read as if I was criticising TORn. I was not. I was merely pointing out that, as far as I could tell, there were a few errors on TORn's Hobbit cast page (http://www.theonering.net/torwp/the-hobbit/cast/). I was wrong about the Bolg/Azog casting - Conan Stevens switched from Azog to Bolg during the course of production. But, as a result of my post, TORn are now aware of the John Rawls/Yazneg situation and will update their listing for Ryan Gage. I'm sorry if you expected more of us, but I only sought to be constructive and to make sure that TG's, TORn's, and IMDB's casting information was as accurate as possible.

I also don't understand what you mean by "no longer can they argue that it doesn't matter what TORn says". Is this something Tolkien Gateway is known for? I, for one, love TORn and have great respect for the work done by its staff. I think TORn are doing an excellent job!

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 3 2012, 5:49pm

Post #18 of 24 (266 views)
Shortcut
I don't mean to speak for SirD ... [In reply to] Can't Post

but I read this statement, "no longer can they argue that it doesn't matter what TORn says" to mean the world in general. In definite articles... the source of many misunderstandings. :-)

So another way of putting it would be 'no longer can it be said that it doesn't matter what TOrn says'. Does that help?

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Aug 3 2012, 6:24pm

Post #19 of 24 (326 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for you comments! [In reply to] Can't Post

No insult or criticism taken. Smile

We're an all-volunteer group here, so we appreciate any help and contributions forthcoming from any and all sources. I appreciate that you took the time to do that and to let us know. I'm hoping to have it all updated by the end of the weekend, so do come by for another look after that and make sure I got everything (that goes for anyone else reading this, too).

Cheers,

Pat/Altaira

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Aug 4 2012, 3:08am

Post #20 of 24 (285 views)
Shortcut
Partly what Magpie said... [In reply to] Can't Post

First let me say I consult Tolkien Gateway often, especially when preparing posts for our Reading Room discussions. I actually linked to your entry on Smaug during a discussion of tertiary characters in The Hobbit (here). In short, I greatly appreciate the excellent job Tolkien Gateway are doing as well.

Now, allow me to apologize. At the time I read your entry on Facebook I was feeling a little testy (likely due to a discussion unfolding here) and I fell victim to one of the classic blunders -- I read a tone into your last line that obviously wasn't there. Please accept my sincerest apologies.

Please accept too Magpie's explanation of whom was meant by "they." I am reminded that I should be more careful about how I word things. I really am sorry.

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 4 2012, 4:47am

Post #21 of 24 (268 views)
Shortcut
that might be easier to understand if... [In reply to] Can't Post

one substitutes "indefinite pronoun" for "in definite article"

I have no excuse for that mess. I will say I try very hard to write well and I need to in order for there to be any sense to what I write! My brain is off running in the fields of thought and my poor fingers are trying to translate.

KingAragorn

Aug 4 2012, 7:25pm

Post #22 of 24 (241 views)
Shortcut
No worries [In reply to] Can't Post

Ah, I see! No harm done.

I'm happy to hear that you found the Smaug article of some use - I wrote that one! Smile

Thanks!

KingAragorn

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Aug 5 2012, 8:15pm

Post #23 of 24 (214 views)
Shortcut
Hahahaha! (I smell a naming contest . . .) [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks, Magpie! Smile

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Aug 6 2012, 3:03pm

Post #24 of 24 (252 views)
Shortcut
Still working on this, btw [In reply to] Can't Post

There are some glitches with the links and with getting the cast/character listings to update. Bear with us! Smile

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.