The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming and Collecting:
Hobbit book on e-bay

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 25 2007, 7:32pm

Post #1 of 11 (3938 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit book on e-bay Can't Post

The seller estimates the publication date to be 1954, 1955, so it probably has the updated version of the Riddle Game. But an interesting copy - I'm very tempted.http://cgi.ebay.com/...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

drogo
Lorien

Feb 25 2007, 10:16pm

Post #2 of 11 (3478 views)
Shortcut
1951 [In reply to] Can't Post

Was when the "2nd Edition" with the revised "Riddles in the Dark" was published. That would probably be a second impression of that edition if it dates to about 1954.

It looks like a nice book, though it is ex-library and doesn't have a dustjacket. I'd keep an eye on it, though, since you could probably get it of a pretty good price.

(Formerly drogo of the two names!)

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 25 2007, 10:25pm

Post #3 of 11 (3451 views)
Shortcut
I'm watching it [In reply to] Can't Post

although there's 8 days until the auction is over. If I can get it for less than $100 I might go for it - I'll let you know!

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 25 2007, 10:31pm

Post #4 of 11 (3469 views)
Shortcut
What do you think about this one? [In reply to] Can't Post

I suspect someone converted the paperback into a hardback because I never heard of the Ballantine editions issued in hard cover, but I think it's a nice novelty. The price is really low.http://cgi.ebay.com/...53&rd=1&rd=1

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

drogo
Lorien

Feb 25 2007, 10:48pm

Post #5 of 11 (3500 views)
Shortcut
Library binding [In reply to] Can't Post

Publishers sometimes sell paperbacks in a hardcover binding for the library market, particularly if they are likely to be checked out often. Then many libraries actually take paperbacks and have them rebound. It looks like that to me since the paperback covers appear to have been glued onto the boards.

For the price, it would be a nice way to have a durable version of the early Ballantine. The Aces are more valuable, and I notice there is a set for sale now at about the $5 mark.

(Formerly drogo of the two names!)

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 25 2007, 10:55pm

Post #6 of 11 (3495 views)
Shortcut
I have a set of the Ace books [In reply to] Can't Post

and a set of the Ballantines. This one interests me because it's a little unique, but not necessarily more valuable and it's inexpensive. I know you posted several sites below to troll for Tolkien books, but I'm trying to confine myself to e-bay because I have no control when buying books, especially Tolkien books. More sites just adds to the temptation.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 5 2007, 3:41pm

Post #7 of 11 (3449 views)
Shortcut
I found this exact copy [In reply to] Can't Post

at a used book store in a VERY tiny town about 3 years ago. It was also an ex-library copy and is in about the same shape, if not a bit better. This is the first edition with the changes to Riddles in the Dark. I got this and a first edition of Unfinished tales for about $8 IIRC. I remember twitching a lot as I paid for them... so it could have been $8 for just the one ;)

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 5 2007, 3:47pm

Post #8 of 11 (3444 views)
Shortcut
omg... here's the Unfinished Tales I found [In reply to] Can't Post

when I got The Hobbit! It's the same auctioneer. *sounds Twilight Zone music*

http://cgi.ebay.com/...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

sample sample

SandWitch King
Rohan

Mar 5 2007, 10:17pm

Post #9 of 11 (3453 views)
Shortcut
*rushes off to bid against Enty* [In reply to] Can't Post

Hehe..not really! I love that you shared this 'cuse I am a book collector in my mind, if not in fact. But, what if your TORnados bid against you? Evil

Once upon a time I was MrCere. I still am but this name is for posting and being part of the community while that one is for official business. 8-)

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 6 2007, 2:49am

Post #10 of 11 (3460 views)
Shortcut
I didn't get it [In reply to] Can't Post

The price went up over my limit so I dropped out. Maybe some day!

I'm fine if someone bids against me - I know what I want to pay and if I don't get something I'm fine. It's just stuff.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 6 2007, 3:32pm

Post #11 of 11 (3925 views)
Shortcut
It wasn't me!!! {{entmaiden}} [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd never knowingly bid against a sib. That's my greatest fear on ebay.

sample sample

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.