Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
Stuff coming out of both ends
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Aug 1 2012, 12:41am

Post #1 of 36 (530 views)
Shortcut
Stuff coming out of both ends Can't Post

not sure which is more offensive, that they compared a movie I am looking forward to with vomit or the use of colourful language to describe their own point of view? Laugh

http://newboards.theonering.net/...b=post_time;so=DESC;

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Aug 1 2012, 12:41am)

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Aug 1 2012, 1:03am

Post #2 of 36 (240 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Woe to those who need a post edited after and Admin has had a very long day. Evil

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Aug 1 2012, 1:18am

Post #3 of 36 (275 views)
Shortcut
Muhahahaha [In reply to] Can't Post

now everyone feels better... Angelic

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Aug 1 2012, 5:12pm

Post #4 of 36 (265 views)
Shortcut
Stuff coming out of both ends number 2 [In reply to] Can't Post

First let me say you guys are doing a great job of keeping the Hobbit Board free from clutter, such as multiple threads on the same topic.

However, probably owing to our insatiable appetite for minutia, there is still the tendency for viable threads to get pushed over the edge prematurely by the volume of new threads -- sometimes started by the same member inside of a few hours *cough* Daniel *cough.*

So I was thinking, what if a weekly thread called "Hobbit Movie Randomness" (or whatever) was started every Monday (or so) as a place where people whose minds are churning with vastly unrelated discussion ideas can post them all in one thread?

Many threads naturally become a series of side conversations and sub-threads anyway, so it would be nothing new to grapple with. This would free up space for threads that have broad appeal or interest, such as announcements, exclusives, news etc while providing a space for people who just want to chit chat, about who the heck knows what, to do so.

Unimpressed

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Aug 1 2012, 5:14pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 1 2012, 6:11pm

Post #5 of 36 (221 views)
Shortcut
When does something become random enough to post in a "random" thread. [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry about this afternoon SirDennisC - I got thread happy. Frown

I agree my thread on EE DVD colours would be a suitable example for something that doesn't really deserve it's own thread - it would easily go in a "random" thread. But what of the 3D glasses thread?

To me, it's pretty random. It's not really news, is it? Had I posted it in a hypothetical "random" thread, then another user (and another ...) would've come along and posted a thread, not realising it was being discussed in the "random" thread. That causes twice as much work for admins/mods who then have to remove the thread. If a thread already existed, then users logging on would see it straight away.

Also, I'm not sure how a "random" thread would stop random threads, if people didn't know what was already being discussed in the "random" thread. Obviously, it's more of an issue for non-regulars, than regulars that check the forum more often. It would also quickly turn into a general chat thread? Would people want summaries of the past week?

But I'm a mere Half-Elven, and not an admin. Just thought I'd add my two cents.

Edit: Unless ... there was just a general speculation thread. Everybody who wants to speculate on [insert topic] can take it to a "speculation thread". I think that's what you meant, so ignore all of the above. That could work ... assuming everybody new that [insert topic] was already being discussed in the thread.

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Aug 1 2012, 6:20pm)

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Aug 1 2012, 6:14pm

Post #6 of 36 (212 views)
Shortcut
Viable Threads [In reply to] Can't Post

Bumping threads to the top upon new posts would keep viable threads visible and utterly fix the problem.

Heavy sigh.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Aug 1 2012, 6:32pm

Post #7 of 36 (229 views)
Shortcut
Sorry to have singled you out [In reply to] Can't Post

but yeah the DVD colour thread is what did it. To be fair I did tell you recently (via PM) that when people start threads all willy nilly, I see that as problematic. However, it was just some light hearted ribbing... the truth of the matter is you don't start threads very often. (I agree too that the glasses reveal deserved a thread of its own.)

A random thread, ideally, would come with a description that explains what it is for. I suppose then it would be up to the person to decide if it is just a bit of randomness they want to talk about, or if it is something worth starting a new thread about. In any event, I agree that the learning curve around here is steep enough already. But I think people would get the concept (and avail themselves) of a general chat thread... great idea my friend!

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Aug 1 2012, 6:39pm

Post #8 of 36 (226 views)
Shortcut
Do bumping threads put additional strain on the servers? [In reply to] Can't Post

When the third film was announced the other day the servers were definitely under some stress. It would be horrible if the whole thing came crashing down at a pivotal moment.

I'm embarrassed to say that I still haven't gotten around to making a donation to the site. Obviously I love the place...

Does the number of thread put more strain on the servers than the number of posts in a thread?

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Aug 1 2012, 6:41pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 1 2012, 6:44pm

Post #9 of 36 (206 views)
Shortcut
Yes, if the separation was made [In reply to] Can't Post

between "speculation/random" threads and "exclusives/news/interesting snippets/article" threads, then it would certainly remove the problem of the best threads quickly disappearing and being replaced with more random threads.

I would have definitely posted my DVD thread in such a thread, had it existed.

I hope mods and admins don't mind me butting in - there could be a 1 month trial of a stickied "speculation/random thought/s" thread in the Hobbit forum to see how it goes?

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Aug 1 2012, 6:49pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 1 2012, 7:07pm

Post #10 of 36 (196 views)
Shortcut
I don't think bumping threads would solve anything [In reply to] Can't Post

For a bumpring thread option to work, people would need to search for previous threads and posts. Firstly, very few people bother searching at the moment. Secondly, and as it is, the search function isn't that powerful - unless you know exactly what someone said, and the user, and approximately when it was said, then you'll never find what you're looking for.

I like the fact that threads fall off page 1 - the discussion often ends before it goes off page 1 (unless it's a major thread). The last thing that's needed is old posts re-emerging, when, on a daily basis, the films are changing. It keeps the boards fresh and new.

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Aug 1 2012, 7:16pm

Post #11 of 36 (197 views)
Shortcut
Search [In reply to] Can't Post

Thread bumping keeps "viable" threads at the top where they won't need a search. One is more likely to search when an active thread falls off the page. Search is not for thread necromancy, for which many sites have rules against it, but to find old material to reference in newer threads.

(This post was edited by JWPlatt on Aug 1 2012, 7:16pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 1 2012, 7:26pm

Post #12 of 36 (224 views)
Shortcut
Thread bumping also keeps "unviable" threads at the top [In reply to] Can't Post

And bumping threads does mean people still need to search. Take this week for example - the news that the there was going to be 3 films was 2 days ago. The main thread is on page 3! In 2 days we've had 50+ posts!

So if someone later this week made a thread on how the eagles are going to talk, or their fear of spiders, some of us are going to roll our eyes because they were discussed 2 days ago. A user is going to need to search the forum to find out whether whatever they want to post, has been posted very recently - especially if it is in a week of a lot of news. The topic is still very much viable (on a normal week, it would still be on page 1), but is pushed down with a rush of new threads. You'll end up with two threads and no bumped thread.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Aug 1 2012, 7:38pm

Post #13 of 36 (188 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

That thread, and the other hot thread in the past couple days have received a trickle of hits since falling off page 1. Therefore they would likely be near the top still which would have eliminated new (similar) threads from being started.

It is a tough question, one we have discussed at regular intervals over the years. The worst offence (though none of this really matters when it comes right down to it) is when someone starts a new thread while a viable one is still in play simply because they want their post to be noticed. That happens on bumping boards as well, but staff on such boards cull duplicate threads with impunity.

ETA: I love the term "thread necromancy" JW. Laugh

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Aug 1 2012, 7:41pm)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Aug 1 2012, 7:41pm

Post #14 of 36 (189 views)
Shortcut
We do ask people [In reply to] Can't Post

to not dominate a discussion board, either by posting excessively within a thread to the point that disrupts it or by starting several new discussion threads on the first page. We usually limit a person's new threads on page one to about three, depending on what else is happening on the boards - so in this point, Daniel is fine.

We also ask people to post within existing threads where possible rather than starting a new thread on a similar (or same) topic, largely because every new thread bumps the last thread from page one. Excitement means that board members often start a new topic without scanning the boards for an existing thread on that topic - which makes me think that having a weekly 'random' thread wouldn't work. But the admins will have a chat about it.

But be aware that the boards are only going to get busier over the coming months - so buckle up!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Aug 1 2012, 7:48pm

Post #15 of 36 (188 views)
Shortcut
Aware [In reply to] Can't Post

So long as you're aware that may only incite more calls for thread bumping.

Line up the pieces for both sides, have a seat and get comfy; it could be a long game, Captain Kirk. Wink

(This post was edited by JWPlatt on Aug 1 2012, 7:49pm)

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Aug 1 2012, 7:55pm

Post #16 of 36 (169 views)
Shortcut
Threads Per Page [In reply to] Can't Post

Page 3?

I have my profile's Display Settings' Threads Per Page option set to 50 and "3 Hobbit Films Confirmed" is about 11 lines from the bottom of my page. I think I'll increase it to 75 or 100 because of Ataahua's alert. You might enjoy increasing yours from whatever it is.

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 1 2012, 7:57pm

Post #17 of 36 (173 views)
Shortcut
Mine's on 15 (the default) [In reply to] Can't Post

I just click further along if I want to check. It doesn't bother me, to be honest.

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Aug 1 2012, 8:06pm)

imin
Valinor

Aug 1 2012, 8:01pm

Post #18 of 36 (155 views)
Shortcut
Mine shows 15 threads per page [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought this would be default as i haven't changed anything? lol.

DesiringDragons
Lorien

Aug 1 2012, 8:03pm

Post #19 of 36 (156 views)
Shortcut
Mine shows 20 [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder if it depends on screen resolution.

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 1 2012, 8:07pm

Post #20 of 36 (147 views)
Shortcut
Just caught the editing window! I meant 15 ;-) / [In reply to] Can't Post

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Aug 1 2012, 8:11pm

Post #21 of 36 (195 views)
Shortcut
So long as you're aware that such calls may only incite me to call for a new Admin with the user name Ghost of Blue Wizard. *looks slyly at Admins* // [In reply to] Can't Post

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Aug 1 2012, 9:03pm

Post #22 of 36 (179 views)
Shortcut
Mine shows 55 counting the stickies [In reply to] Can't Post

which I think don't count. Shelob's embracing a third film thread is at the bottom of my page 1.

What I noticed is there are at least two moved thread markers and a locked thread... I always thought the moved thread markers disappear within a day or two (otherwise what's the point of moving the thread). I know locked threads have to be removed manually but serve an instructive purpose against the hope that people will see why the thread was locked and not make a similar thread.

I suppose leading by example is not entirely without effect... otherwise this secondary discussion would not have been found inside of this thread.

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Aug 1 2012, 9:04pm)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Aug 2 2012, 12:05am

Post #23 of 36 (169 views)
Shortcut
I'll have a look [In reply to] Can't Post

at those 'moved thread' markers.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Aug 2 2012, 1:58am

Post #24 of 36 (180 views)
Shortcut
If a moved thread has replies [In reply to] Can't Post

I tend to leave the marker in place for a while to give people a chance to stop back by and figure out what happened to it. But, they do have to be deleted manually, and sometimes it falls off my, and/or the other Admins, radar. Also, we occasionally purposely leave markers in place when a post might be of interest for several boards (Hobbit premier party for example).

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Starling
Half-elven

Aug 2 2012, 6:31am

Post #25 of 36 (166 views)
Shortcut
Gosh, Sir Dennis, I'm sorry to hear it [In reply to] Can't Post

I might have to send you a get well soon card. Laugh
Oh, and I will post you some chicken soup once you start feeling a bit better...

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.