Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Favourite film score and why?

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Jul 31 2012, 9:02pm

Post #1 of 9 (471 views)
Shortcut
Favourite film score and why? Can't Post

I think almost everyone agrees that the film score for the LOTR trilogy was *exceptional*. It created such a strong background atmosphere and reinforced feelings to each situation. I found that it often gave already powerful sequences twice their original power.

What is your favourite score and why? My personal favourite was 'Osgiliath Invaded' as it created the feeling of a race, as the Orcs (With Gothmog shouting "Faster!") drew near to the shores, whilst Faramir, Madril and others raced to the river to meet them.

"What do you mean, good morning? Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not, or that you feel good this morning, or that it is a morning to be good on?"-Gandalf the Grey, The Hobbit.

MatthewJer18
Rohan

Aug 1 2012, 4:02am

Post #2 of 9 (243 views)
Shortcut
'The Black Gate Opens', because this moment never fails to bring a tear to my eyes [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0LylyPQsi8

0:59-1:40

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Aug 2 2012, 6:41am

Post #3 of 9 (204 views)
Shortcut
I'm one of the ones that doesn't agree :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it was overbearing, and even sugary/ sappy at times. I've heard much better scores.

IMO.

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 2 2012, 2:01pm

Post #4 of 9 (147 views)
Shortcut
I know how you feel. I hate beets. // [In reply to] Can't Post

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

GoodGuyA
Lorien

Aug 2 2012, 2:11pm

Post #5 of 9 (173 views)
Shortcut
It is truly a difficult task... [In reply to] Can't Post

But it has to be Grey Havens. It's for personal reasons, along with the fact that it just leaves you a weeping wreck every time you hear it. All of Middle-Earth seems to collapse on itself in that one spot. The emotional climax is reach. You don't care that the ending until this point was drawn out. It is a perfect cinematic moment.

From Fellowship, I have a soft spot for the chorus when you finally get to see Moria. It's such a grand reveal, and I love deep voice Maori (anagram of Moria!) singing out epicly. Though Bridge of Khazadum is just as awesome. I love the staircase scene for that music alone.

Two Towers, I think, has the greatest volume of pieces which are just absolutely jaw dropping. I want to go with the initial Helm's Deep clash with its calm before the storm moment, or Aragorn's ride which also made that scene actually work for me, but I have to give it to the Rohan theme of when they're marching out of Edoras. I was a musician once, and I had never heard anything like that string instrument before. I wish it was used more often!

Ardamírë
Valinor

Aug 3 2012, 2:32am

Post #6 of 9 (147 views)
Shortcut
Evenstar [In reply to] Can't Post

Simply breathtaking.

The Rohan theme is also superb. I especially love it when the company is returning to Edoras from Isengard. The stringed instrument there is beautiful to listen to.

Ok, I have to sneak one more in here! The music heard as Sam returns from the Grey Havens is simply heavenly.

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast, as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower."

Tigero
Rivendell

Aug 3 2012, 9:21am

Post #7 of 9 (128 views)
Shortcut
I have always liked the Nazgul theme for some reason [In reply to] Can't Post

Althrough it's a hard choice between White Rider. It's just it's awesome rhytm and powerful shouts. Those two scores are in a way like night and day Wink

Pessimists have no disappointments.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Aug 4 2012, 8:42pm

Post #8 of 9 (128 views)
Shortcut
Beets rock! [In reply to] Can't Post

Reptile
Rivendell

Aug 7 2012, 11:43pm

Post #9 of 9 (165 views)
Shortcut
Lighting the beacons [In reply to] Can't Post

There is something about the way the music builds as the beacons burst into flame that raises the hair on the back of my neck every time I hear it. I get goose bumps just thinking about it.

"If you listen closely, you can hear the gods laughing."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.