Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
My idea for the opening scene of the third Hobbit movie

Daniel James
The Shire

Jul 31 2012, 5:39pm

Post #1 of 6 (1167 views)
Shortcut
My idea for the opening scene of the third Hobbit movie Can't Post

While mulling over the possible plot lines of the newly announced third Hobbit movie, I had an interesting idea for the opening scene.

At the beginning of The Two Towers movie, there is a flashback of Gandalf fighting the Balrog. At the beginning of The Return of the King, there's a flashback of Smeagol's original finding of the Ring.

Therefore, I think that at the beginning of the third Hobbit movie, they should show a flashback of Smaug attacking and destroying Erebor and Dale. This will have been briefly touched on in the previous movies, but never actually shown till the beginning of the third. It would be an awesome way to start the movie, capturing the audience's attention right from the start. At the end of the scene, it could cut to a "current time" version of Dale and Erebor, to show the late aftermath of Smaug's destruction.

It would be amazing if at least part of this opening scene was shown from Smaug's perspective: the camera is flying through the clouds, everything seems peaceful, and we (the audience) can hear the sound of gently beating wings. Suddenly, the camera swoops down through the clouds, and we see a city (Dale) in the distance. As the dragon draws nearer to the city, we see flames burst out from what we now understand is the Dragon, and he begins pillaging.

If you've watched The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, there's a scene in there quite similar to what I'm talking about. We are flying through the air, and we eventually see a shadow on the ground; we realize we're seeing through the perspective of Dragon Eustace. The scene worked really well, and the same concept could easily be used for Smaug's destruction of Dale and Erebor.

----------------------

What do you think about this theory? Please let me know if I've posted this in the wrong place; I'm fairly new to these boards!

Follow me on Google+! http://plus.ly/DanielJames
Also, follow my Hobbit fanpage: http://gplus.to/TheHobbitMovies

(This post was edited by Daniel James on Jul 31 2012, 5:40pm)

Arandir
Gondor

Jul 31 2012, 6:19pm

Post #2 of 6 (438 views)
Shortcut
Might also work at the Beginning of Film 2 [In reply to] Can't Post

Considering that Smaug's storyline may be completed by the end of Film 2 (as suggested by the possible film titles), a flashback scene like that in the third Film would be slightly redundant.

However, at the beginning of film 2, it might serve its purpose - and I would definitely be looking forward to it. In that case, Film 3 could start with another flashback from the end of Film 2 from a different perspective ...

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 31 2012, 6:29pm

Post #3 of 6 (411 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps better at the start of Film 2 [In reply to] Can't Post

Would be a sound and dramatic way of plunging the audience into Middle Earth again, ala Gandalf's fight with the Balrog and the Prologue.

However, I'm quite tired of these swooping aerial perspective shots we get in fantasy films and epics. There is noone who has Smaug's perspective except for Smaug, and so I think we shouldn't see that. His fury and destructive power is much more effective when you see it from below. Death from above. That makes much more sense, in terms of the story, than joining Smaug for a joyride to go burn some puny little dwarves and elves.

I felt similarly about flying along with the fell beasts during the Pelennor battle. Why, exactly, are we looking at the slaughter of Gondorians from the perspective of evil wraiths and their wyrms? Put us there with the Gondorians, looking up, not with the enemy looking down.

dave_lf
Gondor

Jul 31 2012, 6:30pm

Post #4 of 6 (412 views)
Shortcut
Memories [In reply to] Can't Post

Assuming the break occur where most people guess, it could make sense to start each of #2 and #3 with Thorin remembering. For #2, he could remember Smaug. This makes sense because the conflict with the dragon is the heart of the proposed film 2, and because the audience will probably need to be reminded of the details by that point. For #3, he could remember the goblin wars. This would reveal a lot about his character and the politics of the North, both of which are key to the proposed film 3.

And then film 1 can begin with Bilbo, like it should. Smile

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 31 2012, 6:31pm

Post #5 of 6 (387 views)
Shortcut
Excellent thoughts [In reply to] Can't Post

I imagine PJ is thinking somewhat along those lines, though who knows?

Shemril
The Shire

Jul 31 2012, 9:36pm

Post #6 of 6 (358 views)
Shortcut
Plausible, but ... [In reply to] Can't Post

It would have to serve a purpose other than just providing eye candy and it should foreground a significant plot point of the following film;

Gandalf's fight with Balrog hinted that we haven't seen the last of the old wizard and that he may have changed (for the those who hadn't guessed anyway). Smeagol vs Deagol was a great way of explaining the discovery of the ring and the personal conflicts of Smeagol, illustrating his Hobbit heritage and drawing parallels to Frodo's changing personality (all valuable character information).

So ... to see Dale's destruction in flashback we need to learn something of value towards the relationship of Dale to the Dwarves of Erebor - in order to understand more fully why the animosity might have developed - Girion's emerald necklace is found in the Treasure hoard, so perhaps this will provide some connection for his heir Bard and the rightful share of the treasure. Maybe we'll see something of the trade between cultures and the dependence of the Dwarves on Dale groceries and the counter trade of Dwarven weapons and fabulous toys. This will be a useful history lesson to demonstrate the fragile balance of dependence between races and help the audience sympathise with the actions of Dale / Laketown folk in marching an army to threaten our friends the dwarves.

But one thing's for sure we will not see Smaug at the start of Film two ... that would be like seeing the Alien rampage through the Space Jockey’s ship before the crew of the Nostromo wakeup. We may see Smaug in vague glimpses, suggestions or shadows, but not in full attacking, destroying glory. Not before Bilbo's encounter, otherwise the fear and suspense is diluted.

As a flashback at the beginning of film 3 - yes possibly.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.